January 2018 Moms
Options

Randoms Week of 10/30

Re: Randoms Week of 10/30

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KatieEl - haha kudos to you for liking to write them. I think I mainly just hate trying to think of things to say to like extended family. They're easy to write to my close family and friends.
  • Options
    @cyanope I think your weight gain is fine! 

@auntieraindrop I was freak out too!
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy ah, right!? Like that's a realllly nice gift, but gimme all the diapers! The second time around you realize that's all you need and can't get enough of, haha! Nice and boring but very much appreciated! 
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy I gotta admit that if someone wanted to buy me a Dockatot I'd be allll over that! 

Related but different....I'm so tired of looking through hand me downs. One of DH's cousins is moving and offering up all their neutral stuff. It's great and I appreciate the thought but I want new stuff too and on some of it, I want what I picked out because I picked it for a reason. 
  • Options
    @Immjd that is beautiful!
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 right? I feel so grumpy and complain-y lately. And I had no where to post it yesterday. haha. Also, thats a freaking amazing deal. I would have snatched up that friends discount in a heartbeat too. DH and I have our money separate still, which mostly comes from us having a spontaneous wedding in May so we haven't combined accounts, so he never knows what I spend my money on. But similarly he totally got on my case when I first told him about the used Joovy double stroller I picked up... for $100. Umm... my money. Not yours. We needed a double stroller and I didn't want a in-line stroller. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 @supercoolstephy I'd probably lose my shit if DH commented on how i spend my money, but since I'm the breadwinner who pays most of the bills, it would probably be more likely that I'd be giving him shit :# And we'll never combine our accounts, I'm way too much of a control freak to give anyone complete access to my accounts. 
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 that would super piss me off. Good thing about the book ends ;)

• Options
    Hubs and I have had our finances combined since we moved in together about 4 years ago. He NEVER gets after me for what I spend, but that may be because if one of us is likely to screw up our accounts it's usually not me! 

• Options
    I now have a few questions:
    1. Why is a stroller $900?! (That discount is awesome, though! Tell him you can sell it when you are finsished and likely break even or make a profit. Plus, IT IS YOUR MONEY!)
    2. What are the benefits to the side by side as opposed to the in-line strollers? As in, what makes you all prefer those?
  • Options
    We also combined our accounts when we got married. We are both pretty frugal with occasional splurges though so it has worked for us. I think if one of us was prone to spending more or we had very different views on money that we'd need a different system. Any big purchases for the baby, house, or trips, we both have to be okay with how much we are spending or we don't spend it. We actually have a spreadsheet of things we'd like for the house/home improvements in a ranked order and the estimated cost so that we can save up and get/do it when we have the money. We never fight about money or get mad at eachother for what the other spent but we talk about our spending frequently to make sure we stay within budget.
  • Options
    @gusgus14 super jealous of your babymoon! We're not going to get to have one now since hubs is having back surgery right before thanksgiving...ugh and now we're skipping thanksgiving with the family...now how to I get to pig out on all the goodies!
  • Options
    @schaze how's DDs teeth coming? We finally broke 2 through, 2 more to go
  • Options
     I'm not gonna lie. I've had bad money management history, but I budget better now. DH mostly gets on me about things he doesn't think are necessary, especially when we have two functional single strollers. Which I plan on using at first with DS and wearing the newb, or using the carseat insert into the stroller. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @lmmjd I had a few friends who really liked the JoovyX2 which is why I got it. I wanted something that wasn't long vs wide because I hate those stupid shopping carts at target where you put the kids in the front and then they have the cart way far out, not the normal carts. I run into things a lot with long carts. My friend said this about the double strollers she has:

One is a front to back (Baby Jogger City Select) and one is side by side (Joovy Scooter X2). The side by side is much more manageable and we love it. I use it daily for a walk with them and multiple times a weekend

edit: words are hard.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @supercoolstephy Thank you! I keep trying to decide whether it is worth getting one or not. Good to know as I keep my eyes open for good deals that may sway my opinion.
  • Options
    $900 for a stroller?? Holy cow! 

We combined our accounts and it works well for us. But I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my credit card because it makes shopping for DH so hard at holidays and birthdays!

I hate the wedding I'm supposed to go to this weekend. It is horrible timing for everything we have going on with the shop. DH is the best man but because of some other dipsh*t spouse being a fool every time he's anywhere near alcohol, I don't get to be on the bus with them so this pregnant lady gets to drive herself all over creation and in the city of STL at night after entertaining herself for the 3 hours between ceremony and reception. (Which I'm a little mad at DH over because he didnt think to ask them to make an exception for his pregnant wife) AND it's well over an hour from my house which means a very long, very late drive home with my DH who will be tipsy and happy while I'm tired and crabby. AND I have to dress up because DH is gonna look great and I can't be looking fat and frumpy since he is going to be all dressed up. It's a once in a blue moon occasion, ladies. He even got a professional haircut and beard trim for this. I may also have to give myself a shot in a public bathroom depending on the schedule of this whole thing. 

Bah. It's basically just a huge pain in my butt and I hate it. 
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 thanks for asking! She's got one of the four poked through. The other ones are so stubborn. Which ones are you guys getting again?
  • Options
    cyanopecyanope member
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, @EmilyLove25, DH and I have combined finances. I guess I'm pretty old-fashioned that way. We also talk about any big purchases before we make them, and DH would probably be pissed at me too if I spent that much money without talking about it first. And vice versa. I would be upset if he did the same thing.
    BUT, if you guys have split finances, and that's how you've always done it, I can see why you'd be annoyed that he said something about how you spend your money. You can't lecture someone on their spending, especially if your existing dynamic is for you each to manage your own finances! Plus...that deal is AMAZING!
    Edit: words
  • Options
    @schaze yes it's frustrating that they take so long. Her canines so these 4 then only the 2 yr molars and we are done. Just in time to start over again lol
  • Options
    We never combined finances. I'm technically on his BofA account but I don't have a card for it, it's just so we can deposit joint checks and I can write checks for him (he pays daycare but he has godawful handwriting). I handle the shared bills out of my account and he just gives me cash every month to cover his part.

If we're turning this into a bitchfest, I've got a few: I got stuck behind an accident this morning and it added 25 minutes to my drive. While stuck, I got a call that my bank card was compromised so they locked it and now I have to get a new one and submit paperwork to get my $180 back. Once I got to work I discovered that I've been volunteered to run the Thanksgiving charity project for my section of the office (I did it last year but they didn't even ask this time). And to top it off, I'm getting a sore throat and have no cough drops.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @bainidhedub I'm bitchy today (obviously) so I'm good with a bitchfest. Lol. But all of that is super annoying. I would turn down the project simply because they volunteered you and didn't ask first, but that's the mood I'm in today. I would then feel super guilty and like I'm going to hell for acting like that over a charity project.  :D
  • Options
    @conineml - aw bummer! I had no intention of doing any kind of "babymoon" but DH actually decided we should do one. I don't have any time off to spare so we're just going for the weekend but it'll be nice to get away from the house for a couple of days!
  • Options
    @ryannenikole It's basically just a food drive, but it has to be coordinated bc we're putting together meal baskets for local families, so it can't just be 16 cans of green beans and one lonely jar of cranberry sauce.
    HR sent the company-wide announcement yesterday and it said "Each department has been assigned a team leader to assist in gathering the meal. Your team leader will send an email shortly to those on your team with more details." I hadn't heard from anyone in HR so I supposed they must have found someone else this year. Then this morning, "Thank you for helping out with the Thanksgiving Food Drive by being a team leader..." :neutral:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    OMG I have to go back and read but wanted to respond to @lmmjd re the price. First, here is the actual stroller--and note this is a double stroller: 

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/bob-reg-revolution-reg-pro-duallie-reg-stroller-in-black/1045987885?brandId=529

So only about $700, but then you have to buy a car seat attachment for when they are little as well as other accessories. I also got the deluxe jogging features because I do a lot of my running on hills and it is supposed to be safer. Now did I NEED to get a $900 stroller (and also the $600 one my FIL got me)? No! Am I super privileged? Yes! But that said, I walk a MINIMUM of four miles a day (we have a sporting breed dog, so it is a must, but I also like it), every single day of the week in all weather but bad rain, so this baby will get used.

As to side/side--my friend told me it is way better maneuverability so best for long walks and the only safe option for jogging... but have you seen people wielding these monsters through doors and at zoos? It looks so not fun to me... so the inline one is more for going out or if you live/will be in a busy city where you wouldn't be able to take up the whole sidewalk without being a bother. Silly and indulgent, but those are my thoughts.  
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @cyanope Right. We are definitely separate financially for this very reason! I don't want comments on how I spend my money, and I am certain he does not want comments from me on things he does with his money. That said, we are both pretty reasonable. Honestly, for us, $291 isn't THAT much money relatively speaking, and I have more than that to spend after I pay all of my bills/savings etc. If I had bought a new laptop or something, okay, I'd get it... but umm a stroller? I don't drink alcohol (to bring up one example), so I spend $800+ less than I am sure he does every year on that alone lol. 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @EmilyLove25 I by no means meant to make that sound judgey towards you. If it did, I apologize. I just haven't ever seen a stroller that cost that much, so it was more sticker shock.  After looking at it online, it is really neat that it has breaks. That would definitely come in use with the hills.  As much as you run and walk and with these hills, I am sure you will get a ton of use!
  • Options
    @EmilyLove25 i have two double strollers too, the bob (love, love, love it really is the best), and the Austlen Entourage (in-line stroller) for going to places like restaurants and what not.  In my estimation your use calculation is spot on!
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    DH and I have combined finances. He’s the breadwinner and I’m the Spendy Wendy. Luckily, he doesn’t really say shit about what I buy. If he asks, I justify it and he doesn’t push back. I do consult with him over big purchases. Or like for the nursery I’m putting together, anything he complains about I just say-things cost money man! You want me to decorate but you want me to do it for free!?! Doesn’t work that way.