February 2018 Moms

What's going in your hospital bag?

What are you taking in your hospital bag?  What would you tell FTMs to leave out?

lucylou214tally26

Re: What's going in your hospital bag?

• Maxi pads. I hated the ones the hospital provided. They were horrific and diaper like. 

neener*neener*meatballs37lainikins
  • Loading the player...
  • -Black robe/comfy PJs (black because blood, haha) I liked being in my own stuff, I changed out of the hospital robe immediately after delivery

-Shower stuff (I might bring my own towel this time because the one at the hospital was tiny!!) But it’s the best shower of your life so I think I’ll bring ‘fancy’ shower stuff this time just to make it even more amazing and savor it

-Typical hygiene toiletries 
    -Basic makeup, nothing crazy
    -One change of clothes for going home
    -Socks
    -Two outfits for baby
    -Phone, camera, and chargers
    -Snacks
    -Boppy and pump (I used the Boppy A LOT for newborn nursing) and the pump I only brought to ask how to use it! 

I think that was all. The hospital had everything else I needed! 

Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
    neener*neener*
  • I over packed big time with DS1. 
    I also had a c-section so I didn't actually put my own clothes on until the day I left and I ended up wearing the same pants home that I wore there. Pack maternity clothes to wear home! 
    I also brought slippers and I just wore the disposable shoes that they give you in the hospital!

For me: a pair of maternity pants, a maternity shirt, nursing bra, toiletries, I might bring a robe this time, candy for after baby is born, nursing pads, sudoku or crosswords

For Baby: coming home outfit, soother, wipes (my hospital only had cloths that we wet and use), blanket since it will be the middle of winter, 

For Hubby: Vending machine change, phone charger (they don't need much!) 

I wasn't given a pump, but my hospital had really good ones that you could use while you were there! I finally asked and the nurse brought it right in! If you need anything while you are there just ask! You would be surprised what they have for you! And take everything in your room that you can!! They can't reuse it anyways!
  • Random things:
    -a razor because as mentioned: that first shower is glorious,
    -chapstick for the dry air and extra breathing drying out lips,
    -nursing comfy clothes..  you'll have visitors/pictures and those gowns are unflattering and very drafty
    -infant photo outfit  (a lot of hospitals have a service that takes photos)
    -newborn going home outfit  (possibly in premie or 0-3 depending on baby size
    -snacks! If you deliver outside of cafeteria times, you are going to be hungry with no room service. (Plus DH)
  • -the bra I want to labor in (because that's most likely all I'll be wearing)
    -a comfy cotton dress to throw on for visitors to come in after baby is born (I prefer this to a hospital gown)
    -a few comfy socks
    -nursing bras/tanks
    -brush and hair ties
    -small shampoo and soap
    -flip flops
    -nipple cream (Earth mama angel baby rocks)
    -phone charger
    -comfy PJs and something to wear home
    -clothes and mittens for baby
    -swaddle blankets (the hospital ones aren't super soft)
    That's all I can think of right now.

Things I didn't really need last time:
    -snacks for during labor because it made me throw up
    -underwear because I am going to live in those meshies

alice0218
  • This is good.
    Two questions.
    1- what makes the shower glorious? Im actually kind of nervous because of the iv...maybe I'll skip it until home?!?

2- when do you schedule hospital visit to ask what they provide? 
  • Chawk17 said:
    This is good.
    Two questions.
    1- what makes the shower glorious? Im actually kind of nervous because of the iv...maybe I'll skip it until home?!?

If you make it without showering until you get home you will amaze me. There is nothing like cleaning your own self afterhours of sweaty labor and the nastiness that comes with it. IV will most likely be out by then but if not it’s not a big deal to shower with it. 
    meatballs37BrittaniLCjlcrunchberrybabymakes9
  • Chawk17 said:
    This is good.
    Two questions.

To me, the shower itself was painful and tedious, but how you feel afterward is the glorious part. (Others may feel differently about that part) My first shower was probably a good 20 hours after giving birth and after everything you just experienced you feel kinda filthy and disgusting tbh. The iv was long gone by the time I got a shower. The birthing center I'm delivering at has orientation at 36 weeks. I think most people set up tours between 24-36 weeks.
    alice0218
  • Thanks ladies
  • 3plus1equals43plus1equals4 member
    edited October 2017
    @Chawk17 I never had a csection, so limited perspective.  For me, it's amazing to be able to bend (which feels weird at first), shave, and wash up. It's your first real time to relax after birth and just freshen yourself up.  

I also birth in hospital, so there's a mandatory stay.. some birth centers you can go home same day if you want/no complications (so showering may not be until home again then.)
  • Oh yes the going home clothes for you! I wore the same dress home that I did when I came to the hospital since they have you change pretty quickly once you get there. I'm also a weirdo who thought it was funny to see a 2 day difference in the same clothes. 
  • edited October 2017
    Hospital Bag for Me:
    • Glasses, contacts case/solution
    • deoderant
    • Cosmetics- basics just to freshen up/make me feel normal again for pictures (BB cream, powder, mascara, blush)
    • Hair ties
    • chap stick (oh my did I use this a TON)
    • black robe, comfy pj's (black), nursing tank, 2 pair cotton underwear (for going home), slipper socks (tossed after hospital) **I changed into a new hospital gown about an hour or two after birth until I felt stable enough to shower. I stayed in the new gown for several hours until I felt like I could put my own pj's on without leaking out of the mesh undies/pad. You may want a 2nd outfit just in case you get the 1st dirty.
    • boppy (used this a lot for breastfeeding/holding baby- I was so exhausted after labor/delivery that it was nice to have this to help support the baby. 
    • Flip Flops- for shower
    • phone charger
    • Outfit to go home (my water broke with #2, so I couldn't re-wear what I wore to the hospital). I brought maternity yoga pants, a maternity tank, and a sweatshirt. 
    • nursing cover or use swaddle blanket (when visitors come, it is nice to be able to cover up.)
    • Lanolin for nipples- they became really sore really fast. This helped. 
    **I used the mesh underwear/hospital pads the entire stay. Switched to cheap cotton underwear for going home. I threw them away after a shower at home. There is a lot going on down there after baby.

*** Hospital Shower- I was so weak that I needed DH to stand by the shower to support me but the hot water felt glorious on my exhausted body. It was also nice to rinse off (they had one of the shower heads that came down and let me rinse everywhere). TMI warning but I just stood and rinsed and let all the after birth gunk rinse off/out. I felt refreshed and much more relaxed after that shower. My mom stayed in the room to stay with LO since DH needed to help me in the shower.  

*** After care for vaginal birth my hospital provided the following and it provided SO MUCH RELIEF for my sore bits. Dermoplast spray, peri bottle (fill with warm water and gentle cleanser) used every time you go to the bathroom after delivery to spray yourself off, tucks pads (layer these bad boys on the big pads), and "padsicles" the hospital made that were glorious! I found a recipe on pinterest and plan to have some made in my freezer for when I go home (probably 20 pads before hand). 
    Bag for DH:
    • pillow
    • We live close enough for DH to go home and shower/change, so we don't pack an outfit/toiletries for him. He also can go out and get food after delivery if we're hungry, so we don't worry about snacks or vending machine food. 
    Baby Items:
    • Outfit for hospital pictures (something simple)
    • socks (for hands or feet)
    • Hat
    • 2 long sleeve onesies, pair of pants
    • swaddle blanket
    • Car seat (left in car until the morning we were going to take Lo's home, DH brought it in a few hours prior to let it warm up since it was winter time.)
    • Car seat "cozy cover" to go over car seat (will be very cold here)
    • Hat for baby in carseat
    • pacifier (many hospitals don't provide this)
    • wipes (as someone else mentioned, the hospital only provided cloths that we had to get wet and then wipe baby, wipes were so much easier) The hospital provided diapers. 
    • We did not pack a diaper bag because we have a 10 min drive home. 
    Other considerations-
    • Flu season- my babies have all been born during flu season (Jan/Feb), due to this and having no complications after birth, I have been allowed to go home after one night stay in the hospital. 
    • Visitors- I was so tired after labor/birth and we had many family members wanting to stop by. I was so overwhelmed/exhausted/sore/leaking etc that it was a nightmare having people stop in. They'd want to stay for 2-3 hours and just hold baby. In the meantime I was attempting to nurse, wanted to get to know my baby, and every time I got out of bed to go to the bathroom I would have a gush of fluids run down my legs at first. It was too much to worry about who was seeing what. I also didn't realize it but I did not have control of anything down there... from my vagina or gas. I will only be having my mom/sister/dad/sons visit this time. Between visitors all day during visiting hours to being checked every 2-3 hours all night, it was so exhausting. I felt much more capable of having visitors after going home, showering, getting into my own clothes etc. This is just how I felt and now with baby #3, I feel like I can do this. With the first, I didn't know any different and had no idea what I would feel like or what the hospital experience would be and I was utterly exhausted.
    • Baby Roomed In- my hospital has the babies "room in" with the parents and it is not an option to send to the nursery. I am fine with this and prefer this but it also led to no sleep for me between nursing, tending baby, doctor/nurse checks for me and baby, and visitors. I literally had 3-4 hours of sleep total in the hospital. I was a wreck to say the least. 
    Well... enjoy the novel ladies! Let me know if you have any questions. I'd also add that if you have a bit of a drive and live where the winter can get ugly (like here), we keep extra diapers, wipes, blankets, clothes etc for lo just in case. 

ETA- it is a major PITA to over pack and have to bring so much home. I prefer to pack the least amount of bags (my stuff and Lo's in one bag). 
    ash0625alice0218lucylou214msunshine123
  • What everyone else said but pack extra clothes and leave them in the car just in case you stay longer than planned. I packed enough for a 24 hour stay after birth since I was told I would be allowed to leave and then once time came they decided I had to stay for three days. Thankfully a friend was able to bring me and baby clothes. 
    neener*neener*
  • Sounds like most of the ladies have covered just about everything. So I will just add things I would have left out/didn't need.

1. I second underwear. You won't need it. I also hated the mesh undies they give you. They are like a hairnet you put over your lady bits while trying to stick a pad they also give you in them and pull up at the same time. I had a hard recovery, and balancing was an issue for me. I packed depends and those were a lifesaver. I used them for weeks postpartum. They were so nice to be able to just put on and then toss all in one piece. 

2. I didn't bring the boppy. It's bulky and they have so many pillows you can prop Baby up for nursing.  

3. We way overpacked our diaper bag for DD. I mean I brought diapers, diaper cream, a nail file, like three outfits. You don't need it. I wish we hadn't brought any of it, because the bag took up valuable space in our room. I recommend bringing one, maybe two special outfits/hat (they are swaddled anyways), a pacifier, and I second the idea of a nicer swaddle. 

4. Magazines/books/movies things to entertain you during labor. I had a 26 hour labor and my mind was anywhere from being able to "read" to pass time. DH and I had the tv on, and I had my phone and that was enough. 

That is all I can think of for what I wouldn't have brought. 

Something extra that I brought that some might think frivolous was I had a matching nursing gown and newborn gown for DD and I. We wore them the day after delivery and I cherish the photos of us in them. (I ordered them from baby be mine maternity). 

Oh one more thing! I'm so glad I brought ear plugs. There was a lady laboring next door to me and she was really hard to tune out. 
    alice0218
  • sabriel1sabriel1 member
    edited October 2017
    I've had normal vaginal deliveries for all of my babies with very short hospital stays so I tend to pack pretty light.
    - phone/charger
    - yoga pants for after delivery
    - clean shirt for after delivery
    - hairbrush
    - toothbrush/toothpaste
    -deodorant
    - shampoo
    - hairbrush
    - two outfits for baby
    - hat for baby coming home

I packed this while in labor everytime with no issues. It all easily fit in a reusable grocery bag

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

meatballs37alice0218
  • Looks like everyone has everything covered. However, since I just skimmed all the items it looks like maybe one thing was missed. I HATED the mesh underwear and diaper like pads. I invested in Depends Silouettes and I will be wearing those exclusively this time around. 
    meatballs37alice0218
  • jlcrunchberryjlcrunchberry member
    edited October 2017
    This will be my third delivery, I pack two bags.

Labor Bag
    1. Swim Trunks for DH (he stood in the shower with me rubbing my back during my last labor)
    2. Dark colored maternity tank top
    3. Flip Flops x2
    4. Tennis Balls x2
    5. Thin robe to walk around hospital if needed
    6. Tube Sock filled with rice
    7. Chapstick
    8. Extra hair ties
    9. Phone charger
    10. Jerky
    11. Protein bars
    12. Trail mix
    13. Bandana
    14. Lifesavers/hard candy
    15. Gum
    16. Plastic bag for dirty clothes
    17. Zip lock bags for Jewelry
    18. Powerade x2
    19. Monster Energy for DH x2 big cans
    20. Craisins low sugar

Hospital Bag (stays in car until after baby is born)

Toiletries

1. Soap
    2. Hair brushes
    3. Hair ties
    4. Depends (I toss and turn a ton in my sleep. Pads never stay put. This helped me from waking up a mess)
    5. Chapstick
    6. Shampoo
    7. Conditioner
    8. Lotion
    9. Tylenol
    10. Deodorant
    11. Small shower gel
    12. Baby wipes
    13. Nipple cream
    14. colace

For Me

1. Cotton Night gowns x2
    2. Comfy going home outfit
    3. Sleep Mask (I'm a super light sleeper to begin with)
    4. Comfy Nursing Bra x2
    5. Nursing Pads
    6. Belly Binder
    7. Squishy ear plugs (The chatter at the nurses station drove me bonkers last time)

For DH

1. PJ Pants
    2. Socks x2
    3. Underwear x2
    4. Shirts x2
    5. Pants x2

For Baby

1. 2 fleece sleepers
    2. 2 short sleeved onsies
    3. baby hat
    4. Bib for spit up issues for the drive home
    5. Cozy small/medium going home blanket
    6. Boppy
    7. Pacifier (in case we decide to use one)
    I'll have the car seat installed, a pee pad on my car seats and extra towels in the car, just in case.

I'm a pretty unusual circumstance as I'm admittedly a neurotic individual and my hospital is an hour from my house. Also, my hospital was pretty stingy with several things during my last birth 4 years ago, I'd rather not take chances.

• Like I said in the other post, I packed after my water broke. My contractions were 3 minutes apart all of a sudden. I did not pack much. (They went from 15 minutes apart to 3 minutes apart as soon as my water broke). I packed:
    Three comfy clothes outfits for me
    PJs for me
    brush
    deoderant 
    tooth brush tooth paste
    (I think I forgot shampoo/conditioner, but I think they had a wall dispenser)
    phone and charger
    hair ties
    glasses and extra contacts
    A few outfits for baby and a coming home outfit
    My husband was in charge of packing for him. No idea what he threw in there. 

I used like none of it. I used the toiletries, but other than that, just clothes when we were leaving. I stayed in the robe the whole time. My labor and delivery was so quick, 4 hour from when we arrived to having my son in my arms, that I did not need anything to occupy the time. There were always people in checking on me or I was trying to sleep a little since it was the middle of the night. I was in the delivery room for only like 3 hours. 2 of that that was waiting for the Dr to start pushing or pushing. I went from 4 cm to the baby starting to come on its own in about an hour. Then, during recovery, I felt like there were always nurses or drs in my room checking on me or the baby (there were some minor complications) or we had visitors. The would not let me walk around unassisted by a nurse (could not be my husband or anyone else). I could not even get up to grab the baby. It was just easier to stay in the gown. This time, I think I will pack similarly, but hopefully I will change into my own gown and robe. I am really scared about second deliveries being even faster than the first. 
  • The only thing not already mentioned above that you may consider is bringing nursing pads. I love my bamboobies brand. 

It it totally depends on how fast your milk comes in... but I was leaking everywhere by the time we left the hospital with DD. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jlcrunchberry Random question: What's the pee pad on the car seats for?
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

edited October 2017
    @eggplantface The short answer, to save my car seats in event my water breaks in the car or right before.

With my second, my water broke at home but my son was butted right up against my cervix. I'd get a gush of fluid with each contraction. Since the hospital is about an hour from my house, I soaked clear through a maxi pad into the reusable pad I was sitting on during the car ride there (the big mat ones they have you sit on in a hospital bed to catch fluid aka a puppy training pad would work just as well). Towels came in handy too for any drippage.

edited to tag and for driving clarification.
    chucksmom15eggplantface
  • I can't believe we're already talking about what to pack in hospital bags. Is there anyone that has theirs packed yet? When do you find is the best time to pack one?
  • @kaitie12-27 I usually don't start packing until 30ish weeks? I pick up things here and there or start setting things asidewith final packing happening around 34/35 weeks? I like to be prepared and with the holidays coming up, I feel like the time will fly by much quicker than anticipated this time around, at least for me.
  • @jlcrunchberry
    Thank you! I'm a FTM and I guess it kind of freaked me out a bit that both TB and WTE are talking about hospital bags already in the newsletter type stuff. 
    jlcrunchberryalice0218babybro218
  • Everyone else basically covered what I was going to say except the swaddling. DD was a Houdini with swaddles from the day she was born. She would bust out of those blankets seconds after we got her bundled, and barely slept in the hospital because her startle reflex kept waking her up. Once we got home, we started using a pod zip up sleep sack, and she started sleeping for 2-3 hour chunks. This time, I'm bringing one to the hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can't think of anything else to add to the above lists but I did want to repeat that you shouldn't overpack. There is so little space in the rooms and it almost more of a burden to have all that extra stuff. Leave things in the car if you're unsure but stick with the basics to start with. 
    jlcrunchberryneener*neener*
  • @eggplantface The short answer, to save my car seats in event my water breaks in the car or right before.

With my second, my water broke at home but my son was butted right up against my cervix. I'd get a gush of fluid with each contraction. Since the hospital is about an hour from my house, I soaked clear through a maxi pad into the reusable pad I was sitting on during the car ride there (the big mat ones they have you sit on in a hospital bed to catch fluid aka a puppy training pad would work just as well). Towels came in handy too for any drippage.

edited to tag and for driving clarification.
    Never thought of this but since I just got my car in July will def use this!!
    jlcrunchberry
  • @jlcrunchberry Thanks for the advice! I work an hour away from the hospital (which is 5 min away from where we live) and I've been worrying about what if my water breaks while I'm at work. Definitely adding this trick to the book. For that matter I drive stick, so may switch to using the automatic car during that last few weeks to make the drive easier just in case!
    babybro218
  • FTM here, who is a chronic overpacker from being worried I'll forget something.  We live an hour away, and in an area where winter weather can be awful, so the suggestion of two bags is perfect.  It makes total sense to bring in a bag of necessities, and keep 'extras' in the car.  Thanks for this thread, and for all of the great advice! 
  • @clc515 I’m in the same boat (work an hour away, but live 3 min from the hospital). I’m actually worried about my commute over the winter so close to my EDD.

As a FTM, I hadn’t even considered half of the items I this thread! Thank you, ladies for all of the advice.
  • @clc515 and @babybro218 you can't drive while in labor.  So if you are planning on working up until baby is born,  you need to find a work buddy or 2 that can drive you home  or to the hospital if your water breaks at work or contractions becomes regular. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
    neener*neener*jlcrunchberrybabybro218
    edited October 2017
    @clc515 and @babybro218 you can't drive while in labor.  So if you are planning on working up until baby is born,  you need to find a work buddy or 2 that can drive you home  or to the hospital if your water breaks at work or contractions becomes regular. 
    ^^Oh, yes. I totally agree. Its not safe for you, baby or anyone else on the road.

Eep! Sorry I didn't make that clear. I was a passenger when driving up to the hospital in labor. I too plan on working up to labor this time around (if I can) but I've already arranged for a co-worker to drive me to the hospital if and when needed.

Edited to correct did to didn't* whoops
  • Our hospital has a great photographer who comes and does newborn + family photos in the room.  We actually cancelled our previously-scheduled at-home photography session once we saw the digital proofs from the hospital photographer!  All that to say you may want to also pack something you will feel pretty in for photos, as well as make-up and any hair tools/products you may wish to have, in addition to stuff for baby.  I was really happy with the floral silk robe I brought (it never touched blood -- in fact none of my clothes did in past 2 births.  But I do like to hang out in the hospital gown and meshies as long as feasible!).  Our photographer came by to schedule the shoot, so I had notice to get myself ready, and it felt SO NICE to primp! 

Also I second the recommendation for "fancy" bath products!  At least some that you love and make you feel pampered :)

OK last suggestion: I highly recommend at least inquiring about whether your hospital has a "VIP" room or section.  It may sound frivolous, but many hospitals allow you to pay extra (sometimes it's pretty significant, depending on hospital) for a suite type of room with extra services (perhaps 24hr room service, nicer bathrooms and linens, etc. depending on hospital).  This is HUGE if you have a lot of family or friends who plan to visit, or someone who plans to stay with you and may want something more comfy than a chair.  Honestly I cannot WAIT to be in the hospital again because I'm so looking forward to this experience in our hospital again.  Yes it's an expense, but worth every penny -- it's like a vacation! 

eggplantfacebabybro218
  • @clc515 and @babybro218 you can't drive while in labor.  So if you are planning on working up until baby is born,  you need to find a work buddy or 2 that can drive you home  or to the hospital if your water breaks at work or contractions becomes regular. 
    This is something I hadn't even considered. I work 45 mins from home and 35 mins from the hospital, so it's a commute wherever.  Thanks for the head's up on this one! 
  • Eeek I didn't know that @mamaof5already that is good to know. This is why FTMs are so thankful to STMs! My friend was in an interview when her water broke, but I hadn't considered that she was only 10 min from home so she just went home and he drove her from there.
    Oh, wow.  I should start planning for this more than  anything else.  Thanks for the heads up!
  • I haven't really even thought about it as we planned homebirths with the last three. 

Let me think:

Maxi pads
    Undies (no mesh)
    Birthing gown 
    Socks
    Blanket
    Pillow
    Lansinoh
    Phone charger
    Tablet
    Camera
    Birthing ball
    EOs and oil diffuser for relaxation
    Nursing pillow
    Toiletries
    Mesh bag for dirty clothes
    Coconut water
    Protein bars
    Pjs
    Baby outfits
    Baby hat
    Swaddle blanket
    Burp rags
    Pacifier 

It's a good thing the hospital is only a mile from our place. Knowing me, I'll use very little of this. I took a shower 20 min after dd3 was born and got comfy in a nightgown and lounged in my bed for a few days, only getting up to use the bathroom and a very quick shower. Everything I needed was near me. If I don't start labor spontaneously (never have), I'll be induced, and I precip, so "labor" will likely be <2 hours, so I'll spend a good deal of time occupying my time after the birth. I was released 24 hours after delivery after I had ds1 and 48 hours after having dd2, but due to my risk of superimposed pre-e, I'd likely stay a bit longer to make sure my BP is stabilized.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• @soulcupcake a birthing ball? Like one of those big inflatable balls that you bounce on? Many places do supply them. If you haven't already, it may be worth inquiring. My first hospital didn't offer them but my second hospital did.
  • @soulcupcake how long was your first labor? My first was only 4 hours from my water breaking, which is what started contractions. I'm a little scared that this one will be super fast.