February 2018 Moms

What's going in your hospital bag?

2»

Re: What's going in your hospital bag?

• jlcrunchberry - I plan to check with the hospital during the tour. I've been told it's med-free friendly, so maybe they have birthing balls and other things. 

@the_other_mother - My first was 3 hours with only a few pushes. I didn't start until transition and labored down for about 30 minutes before the second stage. I went in expecting 12-15, average for a FTM, so I was a bit surprised. But I had been 5 cm and 80% effaced for a week by the time I was sent to L&D following a visit with my midwife. That's definitely a factor. Similar with my second, though was induced via AROM at 6 cm after showing up at 5 cm, but no labor. I walked the halls before they decided to admit me. It was a good thing they admitted me because I was given the option after my membrane sweep to just wait it out or come back to get checked. She was born 32 minutes after I felt a legit "this must be labor" contraction. I had BH-like contractions that were fairly mild and irregular before. Labor started when I hit transition.

I planned homebirths after that. Lol.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

jlcrunchberrythe_other_mother
  • @soulcupcake thanks for the insight. I don't expect mine to go quite that quickly, but I did go in at 3.5 cm dilated my first time. Apparently that's more than typical FTMs. I've heard that you tend to go in more dilated and have faster labors with subsequent pregnancies, so that's why I was wondering.
  • Loading the player...
  • @the_other_mother my first I went I at 3cm, second was 8.5cm, and third was 3cm again, but bleeding quite a bit.

I only went in for #2 when I did because I was worried about my water breaking at home. Registrar desk thought I was going to get sent home because apparently I didn't look like I was in labor. 

This one's delivery hospital is an hour away,  so the fast labor is a worry of mine, too.
  • Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. I'm a chronic over-packer and this will help a ton when the time comes to pack for the hospital.
    babybro218
  • Chawk17 said:
    This is good.
    Two questions.
    1- what makes the shower glorious? Im actually kind of nervous because of the iv...maybe I'll skip it until home?!?

2- when do you schedule hospital visit to ask what they provide? 
    *lurking from March*

They removed my IVs prior to showering (Day 2, I think).  The warm water also helped my milk come in sooner so that was a bonus for the baby not losing as much weight those first few days.  You feel really good after the first shower... it's hard to explain it... but I agree, it's glorious!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Chargers
    toiletries
    extra hair ties
    chapstick
    glasses/contact stuff
    baby book (that I still need to purchase)
    A couple changes of clothes for me
    sweatpants and a couple tshirts for DH
    a change of clothes for him
    his special pillow (eye roll)
    two outfits for baby (one 0-3 months and one newborn)

Hopefully we get discharged 24 hours after baby arrives. If not, DH will bring me my computer. 
  • @Chawk17 I took a shower with an IV in (they unplugged me from the drip but the needle was still in my arm) when I was in the hospital years ago. You just hold your hand/arm up and out, although I don't think it matters too much if it gets wet, they can retape it. Your H can help you with washing too if you're nervous about it.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

jlcrunchberry
  • @Chawk17 in regards to the first shower being glorious, it's like when you've worked outside all day, gotten super sweaty, and you just feel all over gross. That's the closest I can describe it to. The hospital tour varies by practice etc. as to when you schedule. I will go around 30ish weeks so that I can ask some questions about having siblings and so my husband gets the chance to see and ask any questions since he wasn't here for the first birth.
    jlcrunchberryTattoosandLace
  • @Chawk17 I took a shower with an IV in (they unplugged me from the drip but the needle was still in my arm) when I was in the hospital years ago. You just hold your hand/arm up and out, although I don't think it matters too much if it gets wet, they can retape it. Your H can help you with washing too if you're nervous about it. 
    ^^This. I was unhooked from the IV pole for a shower and ended up getting my tape wet. After I finished washing, I dried off and got dressed, a nurse came in to swap out the wet tape and hook up the saline again for hydration, easy peasy.
  • Odd question, but did any or do any of you feel the need to bring laptops (or small radios even)? Mostly for me it would be to use pandora for background music or look at silly buzzfeed articles to distract myself. I'm planning on bringing a kindle and a trashy paperback too, but I do better mentally with some music.
  • @evenstar1985 we will be using our phone for that. The hospital said they have speakers for us to play music. Totally putting together a playlist.
    jlcrunchberry
  • @babybro218 nice! yeah I feel like I could use some calming music during the ordeal lol. I have a dumber smartphone lol and am behind the times on other, smaller gadgets on my end (dh keeps saying, why don't you get x tablet/gadget and I'm like, why? -- but I can see how they might be of use in these specific situations!)
    babybro218
  • Odd question, but did any or do any of you feel the need to bring laptops (or small radios even)? Mostly for me it would be to use pandora for background music or look at silly buzzfeed articles to distract myself. I'm planning on bringing a kindle and a trashy paperback too, but I do better mentally with some music.
    There was a tv in the room and we used our phones if we wanted to look up anything/read. I was so hyped up about the whole process, then exhausted, that I didn't even think about music, tv, phone etc. 
  • ^Same. And I was sitting around the hospital room for a full day and a half before the baby actually made his appearance, but I also got an epidural so I didn’t need anything to distract me from the super painful contractions and I had people to keep me company while I waited. I bet music would be nice if you’re planning a med free labor!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
    alice0218
  • We brought a laptop and watched Bridget Jones 1 and 2 while I was in labor and waiting to dilate enough to push (I got an epidural, that worked until I started pushing). That part was actually fun and the nurses kept finding excuses to stop in our room to laugh with us lol. I liked having a laptop after baby was born too, since I had a c/s and ended up staying for 5 days. Last time I way overpacked and there's a lot I'm not bringing this time, but I will definitely bring a laptop again this time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @precious88 and others -- thanks for you takes! I think I'll bring since this is my first birth and I'm on the fence about meds, and don't know yet how long they might need to keep me etc.
    alice0218