June 2018 Moms
Options

STM+ Weekly Check In (10/27)

How far along are you? 

How old are your other kids? 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now?

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: 

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  
me 35/ DH 39
married 8/22/2015
BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

Re: STM+ Weekly Check In (10/27)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 We bought 123 Magic at the recommendation of moms in my other BMB.  We haven't read it yet, but have tried instituting short time outs.  My DS gets angry and acts out - hitting, biting, pinching, so the time out removes him from the situation.  We've gotten to the point that if he's doing something out of anger, he might put himself in time out.

@basemodel we are starting potty training after thanksgiving.  I'm dreading it.  Anything that has (or hasn't) worked for you?!

How far along are you? 
    9 weeks.

How old are your other kids? 25 months.

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? I'm so exhausted all the time that I have no idea how I'm going to handle my toddler at the same time as a newborn during the height of sleep deprivation.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM:  Every night by DS says "night night baby."  The other night he patted my belly during bedtime and said, "I love him, baby" - - he doesn't even say I love you to me, so I died.  

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  Nothing in particular jumps out at me at the moment.  (Is that sad?)  I'm in a bitter place right now with my job, so that could be the reason I can't think of anything.
  • Options

How far along are you? 
    9weeks 1 day

DS is 5

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now?
    I'm really feeling guilty about not playing with him much the past few weeks. I'm really half assing it. and constantly saying I don't feel good. just by the evening I'm done.

I'm just praying all is still well cause I can't wait to tell him. and we asked that they mail us the gender after the genetic blood work cause we want him to read the card that says 'boy' or 'girl'

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.
    probably when I got my credentials. I put it off for a good 12ish years?! lol. cause I was scared. and passed on my first try.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 we aren't spiritual and I feel like she is too little to get any comfort out praying.  At 10 months old, she is still baby babbling.  She says mama and dada, but doesn't yet associated the words to DH and I. 

Routine is her jam so we are just being super consistent with her so she feels safe.  She has had the same bedtime routine since we was about 2 months old.  Just hoping that whatever freaked her out enough to haunt her dreams leaves her alone soon.  Luckily DH has been a champ with comforting her in the middle of the night.

@basemodel sorry for the sweaty palms.  I stole the question from May so blame those ladies. haha.

@marcus7676 I haven't had to potty train DD yet, but my neighbors across the street from us just started with their DD.  The 2 year old started the process before my neighbor even thought about it (she had just bought diapers).  She said her biggest issue so far has been daycare.  Because all of the other kids in her class are in diapers the teachers haven't been taking her to the bathroom and she's had a few accidents as a result.  I'm not sure if you have a daycare or a nanny situation, but you will want to make sure that your childcare providers are on board when you start.  My neighbor is trying to get her DD moved up a class to make sure she is surrounded by other kids that also have to take bathroom breaks throughout the day.  Good luck!
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    How far along are you? 6 weeks today.

How old are your other kids? DD is 2.

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? We are also on the potty training train and it's going well-ish. We started the first week of October and she got "pee goes in the potty" down pretty quickly. Poop is another story. Right now she's been waiting until we put a nighttime pull up on and pooping in that. So I know she knows not to poop in her underwear but I'm not sure how to get her to the point of going in the toilet. Ah well, my goal is to be done by the time the baby comes so we have some time to figure it out.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: Just looking forward to seeing DD with a sibling!

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  I'm a SAHM now but I am proud I made it through my last job without slapping someone. All my coworkers were female and sadly many of them were so CATTY.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jsl82 Does she currently have a sound machine or anything playing?  If not, maybe you could try that?  Just something to drown out any other kind of noises that could possibly startle her.  Our DD has always thrived on routine, so that's good to stick with that!!
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    How far along are you? 8+3

How old are your other kids? 22 months

I'm pretty nervous about having 2 kids at once. How do you do it??

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: I'm excited for dd to have a sibling

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  I just had an article accepted for publication. It's a really great feeling!
  • Options
    @mytinc that's impressive! Wow!

@PatientlyWaiting10 I agree with @marcus7676 on removing them from the situation along with repetition, consistency, and patience on your end. It's hard and exhausting but so awesome when you see the growth as they begin to understand!

How far along are you? 
    7 weeks today
    1.5 will be 2 in January 
    Im really starting to overthink and stress about VBAC. I don't want that to overrule this pregnancy and prevent me from actually enjoying it. 
    Excited for DS to have a sibling and to just have another little one. As cheesy as it is I love hearing my sons feet running down the hallway and Im excited for more feet to be added to that sound. 
    The first time I ever did parent-teacher confrences. Parents can be SO intimidating especially when I first started at 20 which put me being younger than most of them. I was co-teaching with someone who had been there for years and a number of them just wrote me off and didnt take what I said seriously and go speak with the other teacher instead. Finally by Spring confrences I felt like I actually gained some respect and they listened and asked for my advice, perspective, etc. It was a great feeling. It still is today, I have always just wanted what is best for each child. Im willing to work and meet with parents in the middle to reach that goal and to have them see me as a partner and trust me with their child is awesome.  
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 she has her sleep sheep, but I was thinking about getting her one that doesn't turn off after 25 or 45 minutes.  I'm thinking once the lo arrives the crying all night might wake her.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    How far along are you? 7 Weeks 5 Days

How old are your other kids? 5 years old and 2 years old. Boys

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? Staying positive (:

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM:  I am definitely ready for a third child. So excited for my family to me complete.

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  I feel like I'm proud of myself every day for getting up and going to work.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tepr14 It's natural to really want a VBAC. I felt that way when I was pregnant with #2. I tried to hold loosely to it but it's what I wanted.

How far along are you? 
    5 + 6

How old are your other kids? DS 2 (3 next month) and DD 14 mos. 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? My almost 3 year old has been more intense and willful recently. I'm having to restrategize how I respond and discipline. I'm slowly learning what works with him. Anyone have any advice on strong willed 3 year olds?

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: Today I feel a bit nervous about a third kid while the first 2 are still so young. My feelings change every day. 

• Options
    meagster13meagster13 member
    edited October 2017
    @Llamamama no advice but let me know if you figure it out- I'm months away from also having a strong willed 3 year old. Lol

How far along are you? 
    8+5

How old are your other kids? DS is 2.5

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? a little nervous about going to 2 kids. Feeling a little guilty for DS that he wont be the only one anymore. (I cant seem to word this properly but thats the gist)

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: we really do want DS to have a sibling and I really like the age difference. 

edited because spelling is hard
  • Options
    How far along are you? 5 & 5

How old are your other kids? 3 in December

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? DD has had a rough week at school. I think she senses the changes coming and is reacting. Hopefully it will pass quickly. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: DD is going to be a good sister. She is very caring when she wants to be. 

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  One is quitting a job where I hated going to work everyday. I came home crying almost daily. Two is at my current job (I teach 4 year olds): the owner gives out Love It’s on art projects that she likes in the halls and I have the most. It makes me feel good!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    How far along are you? 8 weeks 2 days

How old are your other kids? 2.5 years

Normal 2 year old stuff. Feeling good about where we are at right now. 

Ready for ds to be a big brother. I think he will be great at it. He’s already such a caring kid, I can’t wait to see him interact with the baby.

• Options
    How far along are you? 
    Don't know yet. Approximately 6-7 weeks. I need to make an appointment with the midwife ASAP, but haven't felt like it's a rush. We're trying to decide whether to use our previous midwives (awesome ladies but also very expensive) or go with a different practice.

1.5 years (about 20 months)

Little guy has been sick this week. He's been needing more snuggles, extra naptime and has been a big grouch. My partner and I are both tired and hoping for a normal schedule soon. Preferably one where we aren't up at 4:30AM with a screaming child.

He's such a legit little man these days. Today we went tromping around in the woods and he hid in a bush. I mean, I could totally see him but he sat there, still as a mouse, and let me walk around "looking" for him, calling his name. Then giggled and screeched like crazy when I "found" him. That kind of thing is so much fun.

I've given some presentations in front of pretty big crowds (100ish people). It isn't easy, but I'm glad I've had the opportunity to do it, and proud that I was asked.

• Options
    Well I'm technically 10wks based on my u/s the other day. Thought I was just going into 9. Anyway...
    7&5 girls
    I love how independent my girls are at this age. I'm really happy to be pg and not doing the 2+ under 3 thing. I think after all the first trimester symptoms even out I'm really going to enjoy having two little helpers who are actually very realistically helpful! 

I am really proud of being a stay at home mom. It's  a very demanding job and we're on 24/7,no holidays, vacations or calling out sick. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How far along are you? 6 +1

How old are your other kids? 12.5 months

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? My biggest question (or decision, I guess) is in regards to nursing. Part of me hopes we can keep going and eventually tandem nurse while the other half hopes he self weans before then. DS still nurses 4-5 times a day. I'm happy with that for now, and am going to play it by ear. He's a big comfort nurser and still nurses to sleep for his naps (trust me, I've tried a million other things but it is what it is). How would I be able to do that while caring for a newborn too? 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: The more I think about D'S being a brother, the more excited I get. He's just gotten to the stage of being interested in his stuffed animals and he loves to pat them and give them kisses. As silly as it sounds, today I thought about him giving his sibling kisses and I teared up (dang hormones!)

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  Pre baby, I was a makeup artist and there was nothing more satisfying than making a woman (or man) feel beautiful or more comfortable in their own skin. 
  • Options
    @MamaLlama14, I have friends that swear by the book "No Bad Kids".  You may want to check it out.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    How far along are you? 6 weeks, 5 days 

How old are your other kids? 11.5 months

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? How am I going to handle being a mom of 2 BABIES?! I alternate being excited about what this means when I have a 6 and 7 year old who are one grade apart and can play on the same soccer team. Then I get really anxious thinking about having a 1 and 2 year old and the chaos that will bring. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM:  See above. 

GTKY: Tell us about a time in your career when you were super proud of something you did.  Hmmm...this is hard. I have a pretty cool career in PR. Coolest moment- I used to do PR for Chili’s and they do a Create-A-Pepper campaign for childhood cancer every September. Starting in 2007-ish, we’d take a big group up to NYC to hold up signs and get the attention of Today/GMA/Early Show hosts. The last year I did it, we were at Today and Robin Roberts came over and totally had a moment with a childhood cancer survivor (he’d lost a leg during treatment but was the happiest, coolest 9-year-old you’ll ever meet). As a survivor herself, his story obviously resonated with Robin and she was so kind and put on a childhood cancer bracelet and took pics with him - it was amazing! I hadn’t thought about that in a while - made me tear up. Side note - Robin Roberts is drop-dead, slap-your-mama stunning in person. Tall, slim, athletic, great bone structure. Legit could’ve been a model. And her beautiful spirit made her even more gorgeous. 
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

How far along are you? 6+3

3.5 and 2
    My main concern is having 3 in daycare full time.

DD, my oldest, did not do well, when DS came along. She was jealous and aggressive. Now that she's older, she's obviously much easier to reason with. I'm hoping she'll have a better experience this time. DS is very gentle and loves babies, so I don't think it will be an issue for him.

I guess it would be when I got certified for my position. It wasn't necessary for the company I work for, but I did it for myself.

• Options
    How far along are you? 
    8+6

3 and 16m

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? I'm a little concerned about having 3 under 4. There are a lot of weeks I'm alone for a few days at a time because DH travels for work. I hope this LO likes to be worn because keeping up with two toddlers is a handful. 

DD asks about the "baby in my belly" everyday and it's so sweet. 

I worked at a very large, prominent resort before I had DD. I was part of a team that reworked, reprogrammed and organized a multi-million dollar wine inventory. I was the only non-director on the team and did the bulk of the work. It was so rewarding to brainstorm an idea and then implement it. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @dinodna3 my kids are similar ages (3 next month and 14m). DH travels fairly often too. Part of me thinks well at least I know how to handle 2 under 2 now. Part of me thinks I'll never sleep/get a hair cut/ not have at least one kid crying or climbing on me again. 
  • Options
    How far along are you? 6ish weeks

How old are your other kids? 2

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? I'm terrified of having 2. When DD was a newborn we would snuggle all day and nap and I know it will be so different this time with a toddler too. The logistics just scare me. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: I've had such baby fever so the idea of having a newborn again does have me really excited. Also I can't wait to see DD as a big sister. 

• Options
    How far along are you? 
    7 weeks tomorrow
    My son will be 6 in Dec
    Im already going through the mental process of adjusting to two children 
    My son has wanted a sibling for a while and this would be the first biological child for my husband. This would also be our rainbow baby
    Being awarded last program year for being my supervisor's "go to" in a crunch/bind
  • Options
    How far along are you? 
    5 weeks 4 days
    4 year old son who will be 5 in Feb
    Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now? no major concerns. My son is becoming independent and is a big helper so looking forward to having a baby around. 
    Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM: I'm excited to give my son a sibling. I feel like this child will complete our family. 
    I presented a poster at a national conference this week. Despite feeling exhausted it went very well! Looking forward to the next opportunity. 
  • Options
    @basemodel - we are in potty training hell as well.  Wes is going to college in pull-ups

How far along are you? 
    6 weeks, 0 days

4 and 3

Really hoping that our son will be potty trained by the time the baby comes along.  Sometimes he gets it, other times, not so much.

We gave in and purchased a mini-van a couple weeks ago.  Best decision we have made in a while

I enjoy small successes everyday at work when I work with the public who visit the library.  Helping and easing the mind a person who admits, sometimes with a tinge of shame, that they don't know how to use a computer at all, but need a resume.  So they leave the library with that resume, some confidence, and maybe even an appointment to come back to see me for a one-on-one walkthrough with computers.  
    Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @llamamama14 Yeah, I pretty much figure I'm never sleeping again. My 3yo wakes up more than the 16mo. I think the hardest part is going to be keeping these toddlers entertained during the hottest months of the year. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
  • Options
    You guys.... I am at my wit's end with my 4.5 yo. He has always been super emotionally high strung and volatile. He is very introverted and needs his space. He gets very angry and upset when his boundaries aren't respected (even though it's often inadvertent on the part of the other person). He lashes out physically when he gets upset, but usually it's been just towards the immediate family (not that it's okay). This week though he has pushed one friend, hit another friend, kicked his little brother, thrown all the photos in his room and broken glass.... WTF do I even do? He is a sweet kid at heart, he just is not capable of handling his own extreme emotions in an appropriate way. It's making me so sad and frustrated. He is also really mean and physical with my 18 month old and I do worry about the new baby... Ugh :-( I know this isn't exactly answering the post questions but I felt like if anyone knows what I'm going through it would be a s+tm!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @jsl82 I've been amazed at what my older son can sleep through! Sometimes he gets woken up but usually he sleeps through the crying. We also keep a white noise.machine in his room . But yeah if one sleeps in until 6:30 in our house the other one is up at 5.... Sooo sleep is not like it used to be haha. Be consistent , you'll get there!

Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @PatientlyWaiting10 I wish I had been "stricter" with ds1 from an earlier age. I am def moreso with Harry (18 months old). I say no in a strong voice and redirect. If he is right with a toy or something I will take it away. Or if he's sitting with me I will put him down on the floor. Obvs I don't try to put him in time out or anything
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @knitsandgiggles it was SO hard to PT my older son. I tried so many times and rally was determined to do it before he new baby came.. but it didn't happen. However, the final time that I tried, he was ready and it was actually easy! (5th time's a charm haha). So try not to stresa... I feel like they can sense that. ! He'll get it eventually! It sucks though, I can commiserate!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    @marcus7676 RE: potty training, I'm absolutely clueless about how we should have gone about this. DS reached two with none of the classic signs of being ready for potty training (cornering, etc.) but we figured we needed to get the ball rolling anyway. He's always been so easy-going that he has never minded (and still doesn't) when his diaper is wet or dirty, or even leaking. What I think is working well right now is keeping him out of a diaper (just in pants or underwear and pants) while we're at home, and that really helped him understand the connection between the urge to go and getting soaked pants. Lately he's been running into the bathroom of his own volition (and to massive applause). I think patience and not flipping your shix over messes is probably what's doing it for my little one.
    Nov Sig Chall

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    How far along are you? 
    6 weeks, 6 days

DS will be 3 in January

Other than being really sleepy and trying to keep up with a toddler, I don't really have any concerns. DS just conquered #2 on the potty, so we are officially potty trained!! [yay for no diapers for 9 more months!]

I'm really excited to be a STM, we really think DS is at a good age and so far he seems really excited to be a big brother. 

I am a nurse educator at our specialty hospital, so sometimes I'm challenged by staff to provide new and engaging education, so anytime I can "WOW" them with something makes me feel pretty proud.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @pinottoparenthood Sorry. I relate to the frustration of parenting a kid who acts out. That sounds like a lot. No advice here but I hope you can figure out some strategies.

Re potty training: I've got 2 in diapers (DD 14 m and DS 3 y). Would it be crazy to try to PT both of them at the same time before #3 arrives? Maybe in April when they are 20 m and 3.5? Maybe I'll just plan to PT DS and see if DD wants to join in. Or maybe I'll have 3 kids in diapers...  :#

• Options
    @MamaLlama14, the method I used (3 day potty training method) suggested no younger than 22 months.  I also think it would be overwhelming to do more than one at a time.  No reason you can't work on the 3 year old now so you'd only have 2 in diapers.

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018