Questions - Week of 10/15 - Page 3 — The Bump
April 2018 Moms

Questions - Week of 10/15

13»

Re: Questions - Week of 10/15

• @ngolimento I understand what you are saying and it does make sense.  I hope I didn't give the impression of "i've never gotten it and i've never gotten sick".  We all got it when we had two parents battling cancer and going through chemo, we did get sick that year (most of us) but I don't blame the vaccine for that, I understand that it doesn't prevent everything.  
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you use that logic, it's just the excuse I hear the most.  I have actually gotten the flu on years I have received the shot as well, and while it is frustrating, I make myself feel better by telling myself that I am more likely to be protected the next year from the strains I was vaccinated for this year.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
    ekendall09
  • @ngolimento Did you see that horrible study that came out recently trying to imply that women who get the flu shot are more likely to have a MC? The data was horrible and there were so many other variables explaining why these women may have had an MC (like age) but of course people see that and immediately don't want to get the flu shot. I saw quite a few people I know posting it on FB and I felt the need to shut that down and voice my opinion real quick. 
    Me: 31yo DH: 38yo
    Married: 07/16/16
    TTC #1: 04/17
    BFP: 8/1/17 EDD: 4/16/18
    ngolimentoirenejean
  • Loading the player...
  • @JJMNO1616 I haven't read the study. But I did see a lot of ladies in another forum saying that they were deferring getting the shot during the first trimester because of it. 
    All I could think was preposterous. The flu vaccine does more to protect me and my little one than it has the potential to harm us.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JJMNO1616 said:
    @ngolimento Did you see that horrible study that came out recently trying to imply that women who get the flu shot are more likely to have a MC? The data was horrible and there were so many other variables explaining why these women may have had an MC (like age) but of course people see that and immediately don't want to get the flu shot. I saw quite a few people I know posting it on FB and I felt the need to shut that down and voice my opinion real quick. 
    Yes, I saw that!  There also was one that was circulated about a "John's Hopkins Study" where it was announced the flu vaccine had something wrong with it (chemicals I think?). If you read the article, it was just a dude who worked for John's Hopkins at one point who wrote some vomit-inducing OPINION article.  No research, no study, no data to back it.  And people were sharing it like candy.  It was so disheartening 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    JJMNO1616irenejean
  • linds0503 said:
    @JJMNO1616 I haven't read the study. But I did see a lot of ladies in another forum saying that they were deferring getting the shot during the first trimester because of it. 
    All I could think was preposterous. The flu vaccine does more to protect me and my little one than it has the potential to harm us.
    I personally turned down the shot at work because I wasn't sure when I should get it. I kind of wanted to wait until I was out of first tri but mainly because my OB never brought it up and I know some medications/vaccines are recommended later in the pregnancy. If my doctor would have suggested it at my last appointment though I would have done it. 
    Me: 31yo DH: 38yo
    Married: 07/16/16
    TTC #1: 04/17
    BFP: 8/1/17 EDD: 4/16/18
  • irenejeanirenejean
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    edited October 2017
    We get the flu shot every year, and I got it during first tri. I think getting the flu shot is especially important when you're pregnant because pregnancy makes you prone to develop more severe illness from the flu, and fevers that you can get from the flu can harm your baby. Here's the CDC info about it:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/pregnant.htm

Edited to tag @mountainsmama
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    ngolimentolinds0503