Clara Cutler? — The Bump
Baby Names

Clara Cutler?

I love the name Clara but am struggling with whether it works with the surname. What do you think of Clara Cutler? Is it too much of a tongue twister with the C's and L's in both names? My husband says it's fine but I am hesitating. Thoughts?

Re: Clara Cutler?

• I don't like it. Too choppy. Sounds like a nursery rhyme
    bbiutmcphmayapple44eb2019
  • Not a fan with your surname 

• Loading the player...
  • Its too much for me
  • It doesn't bother me that much especially if you love it. I'm probably biased though because I love the name too!

• It's not bad.  I don't mind names with the same first and last initial.  (I'm an HH.)  I think the only thing throwing it off for me are all the "L"s in the names. I think that might be a tongue twister.
  • I love Clara but think with C and L in the last name it's an odd pair. Clarissa Cutler as a full name softens it a bit for me and she could still go by Clara?
    eb2019
  • It’s a bit much for my taste but I wouldn’t side eye it either 
  • I like the name. I see why you are worried, but I honestly don't think it's that bad. If you truly love the name, I would go for it. 
  • I like it. I'd say go for it. 
  • Thanks for your replies! Seems there are mixed reviews. I love Clara, it is my first choice, but I just don't know if I can get past the tongue twister aspect with the L's.
  • It sounds fine to me.
  • JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    I wouldn't say tongue twister, but it does sound a bit like a fictional character.  Not the worst critique of a name, though.  If you absolutely love it, I think that it could still work.

• I think it sounds really nice together, I don't think it's a tongue twister.
  • It's definitely a tongue twister-- we had a similar problem years ago. Loved the FN Patrick for our son but with our last name Prescott, we decided not to do it. Went with a name that was less alliterative, and I'm so glad I did. I suggest you keep looking. How about:

Lydia
    Anna/Ana
    Ella
    Olivia
    Nora
    Amelia
    Willa
    Diana
    Halle
    Lily
    Lila
    Delilah

• I'm really not understanding how it is a tongue twister! I can say it pretty easily even 3 times fast. :)

• I love the name Clara and think it works well with your last name. 
  • It's a little clunky to pronounce, but if you truly love Clara, I wouldn't disqualify it.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Meh. The hard 'c', 'L'  and 'r' sounds in both names do make it a mouthful. 
  • I don't think it's a tongue twister at all.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]