May 2018 Moms

How Will you or how did you announce??

Re: How Will you or how did you announce??

• suchaglencocosuchaglencoco member
    edited November 2017
    @thunderberry,  I love it. I do agree "baby xyz" would be better then TBA. And if you use the wording about it not having tags, I wouldn't put a tag over your belly. I think the bow is cute. And it can be sex specific or just red/green if you're keeping that a secret.
  • Loading the player...
  • thunderberrythunderberry member
    edited November 2017
    @babys_2018 @suchaglencoco That's a good point, that would be nicer. But part of my problem is I still don't know what last name the baby is going to have!! I have been kind of agonizing about it because I don't really like hyphenated names, but also don't really want to be cut out of my baby's name and think it's kinda sexist that that's the default. I don't want to cut out DH either. I actually have been meaning to ask if other people are dealing with this issue. If we've settled it by the time we do the video I'll do that.
  • @ivyvines6 thaaaaat is totally adorable and now I want to steal it :P
  • @thunderberry I think most all announcements are cheesy but they're meant to be!  Do something that represents your and your H's personalities and/or interests. I think the Christmas idea is cute! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ivyvines6 I had a friend who did that too! They dressed up very 50s style which made it even cuter 

@thunderberry I feel you on the name struggle!! We had that issue too. I didn’t like hyphenated (our last names were too long), I didn’t like the sexism of excluding my name etc.. I like the new trend of family’s making a new last name and everyone changing, but my hubby wasn’t into that. He preferred I just give baby my name. It’s a hard decision! I would have done mine as middle and his as last, but decided last min I would change mine so we all had the same last name. Stereotypes be damned... feminism is about doing whatever you feel is right for you! Hope you find a solution that works for you. 
  • @thunderberry and @holli0801 I considered not taking my Husband's last name but always knew our kids would have his so I also gave in and took his name because I didn't want to be different than my kids, but many kids have different names than their parents these days for many different reasons.  I had an identity crisis during the process though lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Me and SO are not married, and not sure if we ever will end up tying the knot. We are good with where we are at. DS has SO's last name and I'm okay with it. DS has one of my family members name as his middle name and we are also planning the same with this one. 
  • I hyphenated my kids' last name. Neither DH nor I changed our last name legally. I use three hyphenated last name as the name that shows up on my email. DH never set that up and it annoys me because people assume I changed my name and he didn't.

I'm glad I have the link to the kids because the total different last name would have been confusing. It's also kind of a pain for everyone to have different last names though. I fully expect my kids to change their last names as adults. Also, sometimes they are alphabetized based on the first part, sometimes based on the last part. Sometimes only one part of the name makes it in. At work, people assume my last name is my married name. It sort of bothers me ghar is either of our parents are listed on something it seems like the connection between them and is is stronger than the one between us.

I still can't imagine changing my name and I'm glad I didn't. On one hand, I wish we'd both legally hyphenated. On the other, glad I don't have to deal with it. So even after all this time, I still don't have a solution to this.
  • I wanted to chime in with the name discussion because I'm a little different. I didn't see taking DH's last name as a loss in my identity because as America is a patriarchal society anyway, my maiden name was my father's name and DH got his from his father and so on. I definitely wanted us to have the same name and saw it more as two becomes one. I did want to preserve my maiden name, though because I was close to my father who is deceased and I'm a female only child and my mother is remarried. I'm not a fan of hyphenated names just because of length so I chose to add my maiden name as a second middle name. It's a nice secret I have because I don't have to put it down if I don't want to. This reasoning is also why I've though about using the name as a first name for a child.
  • @jhysmath that all sounds so nice! I'm glad everyone was excited. Good call telling them June with a 5/29 due date. It is horribly annoying when you get the added pressure from everyone at that stage. 
  • @jhysmath I'm 5/29 too and anticipating a June arrival too. We have been telling people May...secretly I'm hoping I go early even though I'm a teacher and if I make it a few more days it will be the end of the year. My husbands godson was born June 4 and we told the parents our baby could very well share a birthday with him! 

Is your husband from Buffalo? I saw the Bills bib and assumed he was. We are from Pittsburgh, but my husband is a die hard Bills fan. We have season tickets and go to all the home games, not as many this year now that I'm pregnant. We plan on splitting our baby in Bills/Steelers gear! 
  • Yes, mh is from the Buffalo area, we live in New England where I'm from and he hates it because everyone is a patriots fan. Friday we drive out 11 hours to see the bills vs patriots game. He goes once a year and gets box seats, this will be my first year going. When we move back to the area in 4 years, I'm going to assume he will have season tickets, though I'm kind of scared to find out how much season box tickets are going to cost him.

I too am a teacher, and I'm thinking of asking our superintendent if I can start maternity leave the week before I'm due seeing how we are allowed to use 6 weeks of sick time to get paid and we'll only have 2 weeks left after my due date and June is crazy and hot  and I don't think I'm going to want to be there when I'm huge. 
  • I’m May 30th due date and told my kids the baby is coming in May or June. With my daughter I was right on time so I assumed with my son I would be on time or early but then ended up being a week late, which felt more like a month because I thought I would be early. This time I am telling myself the baby isn’t coming until June 15th so I will for sure be “early” this time. 
  • @jhysmath @mmb4532 My DH is from northern PA, about an hour and a half south of Buffalo, and he’s a huge Bills fan. I’ve always kinda loosely liked the Bucs, being from Florida, but we always never really followed football in my house. He’s so obsessed with the Bills that I actually incorporated something about them into my wedding vows :lol: He’s not been enjoying this season to say the least... 
  • @ivyvines6 My husband isn't happy with this season either...lol. But we continue to watch the games, continue to go...he's a die hard fan to say the least. He's committed. 

@jhysmath We will be at that game too. We don't have box seats, but sit in the lower bowl on the visiting team side. My husbands had season tickets for 13 years, so even after the baby comes, I would never ask him to give them up. It's the only thing he does for himself. I'm gonna try to make it up until my due date. We can take our sick days during maternity leave so we get paid, so I think I'm gonna take some time off at the beginning of the year too. 
  • We have the game on. MH has a head set that he talks to his mom and brother during the game. Sometimes the yelling gets to be a little much, but I sit and watch. Our house in NY is about an hour and a half from Buffalo on the PA border. It's odd for me to see so many Bills fans seeing how I have always lived in patriots territory. 
  • @ivyvines6 looks similar to my view..minus the cutie on his lap until next season! my husband wears head to toe Bills gear on Sundays. He's got the crazy pants, shirt, jacket, hat. So far, so good for this game...although I've heard all week "Bills are gonna lose this weekend" I took a nap the entire second half! 
  • Annndddd hubby just pulled a leg muscle and rolled off the couch when they won! 
  • @mmb4532 mine look like he had a heart attack! I'm hoping they do just as well next week while we're there, but seeing the patriots kill the dolphins today doesn't make anything look promising. But hey free food and drinks in the box seats, granted I won't be able to partake in all the free alcohol.  
  • Actually J got their shirts out to wear pointing to the logos :lol: It made DH so happy 
  • Hilarious to see so many Bills fans!! I’m a huge Bills fan and loved loved today’s outcome!! 
  • @knw007 congrats on having a girl!  I'm sorry your family showed you their disappointment.  It's hard to understand how they could be disappointed in someone so innocent.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @knw007 My MIL is team boy soooo much too. She's never directly admitted it, but she refers to the baby as her "grandson". She says it's a Freudian slip because she only has boys, but I think she wants the relive the glory days with her sons. She is way over the top with my husband and his brother. Hangs on them in public and tries to hold their hands. It's toooo much. She even suggested I name my two boys after her sons, so I could have my own set of boys just like hers. She also turned her nose up at every girl name that I have suggested. It's her first grand baby, so now I'm secretly hoping for a girl. 
  • @mmb4532 I know what you mean when our families started being hardcore boy I started wanting it to be a girl even more (guess it was just my hormones) but it got tense anytime I was around either side because of that. That would annoy the crap out of me " your own set just like hers." No thank you. I am sorry your MIL is being like that.
  • @justsuzie it's not weird at all. Some people wait until the end, or the birth! We delayed telling people too and are still "announcing it". Most of our friends and family know but not in the social media world. 
    I love your announcement! Super cute! I think it's a great idea to announce and celebrate your news after the anatomy scan :)