May 2018 Moms

A note about trigger warnings

I'm seeing a lot of women using them here and that's amazing. I'm glad that I'm in a group that takes things like that seriously and doesn't just tell people to get over themselves.

I'm bringing this up in a separate thread so more people have the opportunity to see it. As someone with PTSD I'm going to share a better format for sharing things like this. 

This is is what I keep seeing:
TW goes into full dialogue about something potentially triggering end TW

Versus my suggested format:

TW Clear Label Mentioned:

regular text about said topic

End TW

The reason I say this is if you don't mention what the TW is for you may have people reading it just to get a clear grasp on what it is your discussing before realizing it's a specific trigger to them. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head are: TW Rape mentioned, TW Birth Trauma, TW Suicidal Content. (One of those subjects gives me panic attacks, the other two don't.) Breaking off in the middle of a paragraph also gives a great way to show a clear start and stopping point to know when to stop scanning over content.

(I'm hoping this will be taken nicely and not as me telling you all you're doing it wrong or something. Trigger warnings are a relatively new concept, and there isn't a right or wrong way to do it. I'm just showing you what I've found helpful since people have begun using them.)

Re: A note about trigger warnings

• Thank you so much for pointing this out.  I'm definitely not doing it that way, not realizing that people saw it that way.  I will definitely do that in the future.   <3

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• Can we add tw to the list of acronyms in the read this first thread? I think that'll help as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • @nanifrog, I can't edit the post anymore because it's now more than a month old. :(
  • @nanifrog, I can't edit the post anymore because it's now more than a month old. :(
    Dang I was about to tag you.
  • We can just comment on it

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @ivyvines6 maybe we should just ask to sticky this thread?  I know it will take a while for it to happen, but it might be worth a try. 
  • This is a great idea. Thank you for breaking it down like this @ivyvines6 :) 
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @ivyvines6 thank you for taking the time to mention this. I always thought the TW was ineffective for that exact reason, I have to read the entire script before finding out what that trigger might be. I am glad this has been pinned. 
  • Lurking from Sept 2018...
    @ivyvines6 I really appreciated how you described this. Would it be ok if I shared this (giving you credit) in the Sept 2018 club?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lucky2K13 said:
    Lurking from Sept 2018...
    @ivyvines6 I really appreciated how you described this. Would it be ok if I shared this (giving you credit) in the Sept 2018 club?
    Absolutely! Steal and repost away!