February 2018 Moms

Cringeworthy Baby Stuff

As I look through all the baby clothes sales, I've come across some quotes on onesies that make me go

What have you guys found in your shopping or online searching that makes you cringe?
Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
TTC #1 since April 2015
RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
Polyp removed May 2017
FET May 2017 - BFP!
Baby boy born 2/2/18

Re: Cringeworthy Baby Stuff

• Loading the player...
  • sabriel1 said:
    Those onesies are terrible but I have seen the back rub one in real life. I hate onesies with sayings like that. Not quite as cringe worthy but I hate kids/toddler clothes with sayings on them like "ladies man" or "my daddy is single". Yuck
    So many people love those shirts too.  I can't tell you how many I was gifted for DS1. All of them were re sold or donated. Just no. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Starynightsky24 it wasn't as bad for our girl but my boys get gifted that crap all the time

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• I seriously hope that no one ever asks me to make one of those onesied. I guess the good news is I can say no lol 
  • Yes, please don't imply my baby boy has sex already. Just gross. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• I seriously hope that no one ever asks me to make one of those onesied. I guess the good news is I can say no lol 
    Do you have an etsy shop?
  • I have to say, I am so turned off by all of this stuff, too.  I can't stand those types of onesies/shirts on kids!  I'm a preschool teacher, and I have to say, some of the shirts kids come in just make me cringe (and a lot of times, it IS the boys, like @sabriel1 said). I love the classic looks of just plain shirts, stripes, patterns, etc., but the cheesy sayings just don't do it for me. 
  • sabriel1 said:
    @Starynightsky24 it wasn't as bad for our girl but my boys get gifted that crap all the time
    I agree. I never got anything like those for DD.  I genuinely do not understand the interest in those shirts.  I'm glad I'm not the only one. 

I am not a fan of character shirts either… But I would 100% take those over those awful sayings. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • jennifer_m21jennifer_m21 member
    edited September 2017

• I hate this
    Seriously???  This is horrible.  
  • I love this thread. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates this kind of onesie!!! They're *everywhere*, too! Totally agree with the comments above re: sexualizing breastfeeding. It's really telling that baby boys are given these onesies more often. I was hyper aware of how people would try to sexualize my daughter early on (calling her a flirt, for example), but it happens to boys, too :(
    Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
  • Yeah, not a fan of sexualizing the baby or breastfeeding or implying my baby is sexualizing me:

TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Yes to all of these. DH wants me to buy this shirt that says "I'm smuggling a pumpkin" because he thinks its hilarious. I'm trying to avoid having people comment on my belly and I just feel like thats inviting attention. Some people may love it, though. 
  • Who comes up with this sh!t?!?!?   :#
  • I have a bump shirt that says "the pilot did it" that my husband got me. I hate it, but I wear it because he gets excited and finds it hysterical. So I wear it places where I don't care who sees me ;)  He, of course, is a pilot. I chalk it up to to a teenage boy sense of humor, and am relieved this is the only time he's ever gotten me or one of our kids anything like it
  • I have a bump shirt that says "the pilot did it" that my husband got me. I hate it, but I wear it because he gets excited and finds it hysterical. So I wear it places where I don't care who sees me ;)  He, of course, is a pilot. I chalk it up to to a teenage boy sense of humor, and am relieved this is the only time he's ever gotten me or one of our kids anything like it
    Hahahah I have the same shirt! Because hubby finds it hilarious. I have not worn it in public. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh I hate all of these so much. Except the smuggling the pumpkin one, lol. I don't even like the poop ones, they're not sexual but it's still gross. My fil got DS a Star Trek themed onsie that said 'I just boldly went' and always wanted to see DS in it but it annoyed me so much. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • The "don't eat watermelon seeds" bump shirt makes me irrationally angry
  • The "don't eat watermelon seeds" bump shirt makes me irrationally angry
    Wait? What? You mean I didn't get pregnant via watermelon? #mindblown

I also dislike these shirts. 
  • Not a baby outfit, but a maternity shirt,  these I miss  drinking or it sucks that I'm sober shirts are the worst IMO 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • ash0625 said:
    Yes to all of these. DH wants me to buy this shirt that says "I'm smuggling a pumpkin" because he thinks its hilarious. I'm trying to avoid having people comment on my belly and I just feel like thats inviting attention. Some people may love it, though. 
    I won't lie, I bought one cause I thought it was cute. 
    I want your confidence. One of these days I'll embrace the bump and stop being so neurotic. Hump day bump day photo in it soon? 
  • Saw this one pop up on Pinterest last night. I do get why it's considered cute, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

• I saw a onesie on Etsy that "watch your mouth, I'm a fucking baby" .....

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Not a baby outfit, but a maternity shirt,  these I miss  drinking or it sucks that I'm sober shirts are the worst IMO 
    I wouldn't wear this, but I like it! Too funny