Trying to Get Pregnant

Should my brother's wedding come before TTC? (trigger warning)

TimbitvaderTimbitvader member
edited September 2017 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hey Ladies,

I don't know if this has come up on any other discussions here but I need some advice. My husband have been TTC off and on over the last year. We had two very early miscarriages so we haven't been trying fully until this last late spring because I was dealing with emotions that came with loosing those to pregnancies. My issue comes in with my brother and his girlfriend. They are planning to get engaged this fall (they aren't engaged yet) and they want to get married next summer (likely early July but have made no definite plans) and they want to have a destination wedding. Up until now my husband and I have felt that until they are officially engaged and are making actual plans that we should be able to keep ttc. My mom was supportive of that until recently and now she's putting more pressure on to wait until sometime next year if we don't get pregnant this month because other wise we may not be able to be at my brother's wedding. I'm feeling slightly stressed to say the least. We feel this is the right time to add to our family again but he's my only brother. I just don't know what to do and would love some input from you all. Thanks :)

Re: Should my brother's wedding come before TTC? (trigger warning)

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry I haven't really used this site much and I'm not fully sure how to find the newbie thread never mind introduce myself (it took me a while just to figure out how to make this discussion). Sorry I didn't think to do that first. Also I'm sorry about not leaving a trigger warning at the top. I didn't know to do that either. I don't really expect anyone to give me the answer here. I just feel selfish wanting to put TTC over my brother's wedding and I know that my family apart from my husband will think I am if I do put it first. 
  • *Lurking*

So sorry for your loss OP but these ladies are right. Don't put your life on hold. Your family will be thrilled when it happens! Good luck!

• so I'm kind of in the same boat as my sister is getting married next august and she lives in Colorado and we are in Connecticut but like others said, You can't put your life on hold for the what ifs. This also means my sister has not asked me to be bridesmaid because I may not be there. Which is fine with me. My sisters would never put their lives on hold for me so clearly I am not for them. My sister knows we are trying and outside of the baby I would be there for her. I do not expect her to put off planning her wedding because I'm trying to get pregnant and if the situation were reversed I would hope she feels the same way.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Maybe I am dense, but why can't you take the baby to the possible destination wedding?  
  • A lot of airlines won't let you fly is you are 35 weeks and some if you're in your 3rd trimester. I wouldn't wait until after his wedding to TTC again I would just have to wait until the new year sometime so that I wouldn't be too pregnant to fly. Thanks for all the input. It's just been a hard decision for me because my brother and I are close and when I got married he was so amazing to me and so I feel torn because I don't want to seem unsupportive to him. Right now I think we are going to keep trying at least until they are engaged and see what their plans seem to be and also how we feel. I think what has been hard for me is also the pressure from my mom and others who just seem to be assuming that we will put his wedding above another baby. To them I think they just don't think it's a big deal to wait 4 months to try again but for me I feels like a big deal because it hasn't been happening and I would then wonder what if it would have happened for us then. 
  • @Timbitvader If your brother and you are as close as you say you are, I do not think he would view you as being unsupportive, I would think that he would be excited about this new chapter in your life and the prospect of becoming an uncle (again?). 
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18
  • purplepelicanpurplepelican member
    edited September 2017
    *lurking*

@Timbitvader I don't think you should plan TTC around your brother's wedding when he isn't even engaged yet. Most people, even close family, don't plan their weddings around the schedules of other people. I don't think you should be asked to plan your pregnancy around a wedding. 

Would he forego a destination wedding so that you could be there, or would he have the wedding earlier or later so that you could be there? Those might be options to explore with him if you being there is going to make or break the day for him. 

Edited because I changed my mind about what I said and felt like I was being too harsh.
  • *lurking*

Even if your brother gets engaged, it's not 100% that he will get married. Or married on the date they plan. What if they wait until the next fall or spring and then you would have waited for nothing and then made to wait some more... I would never put my life on hold for this kind of thing. Your mom is crazy for suggesting otherwise and I'm surprised that your brother is so interested in the state of your uterus. 

WORF: I did not come here to admire the scenery. 
    DAX: If you say so. I guess we should just go home. 
    WORF: Well maybe. I would not be so hasty. 
    DAX: I take it the scenery has improved? 
    WORF: A few months ago, when I was commanding the Defiant on a scouting mission in the Gamma Quadrant, we encountered a protostar cluster, a swirling mass of colour set against a background of glowing clouds and burning sky. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, until now. 
    DAX: I've got to take you on vacation more often. 

• @BusinessWife You're right that was harsh. Thanks for making me feel like a complete idiot and loser.  If this post was so annoying to you why bother reading it or even drafting such a long comment? I'm sorry that I don't understand all the apparent "rules" of this group. I am still currently trying to make friends in the current city I am living in and don't have a lot of people to talk to about this. I thought maybe I could find some support here. I wasn't aware that there was a newbie guide or that you all were so close knit and that I was just jumping in where I wasn't welcome. 

And believe me I don't think I am a "special snowflake". I didn't think that my problem was new or that I was the only person who ever had it, I was just looking for other women who know how it feels and maybe find some community. You don't know what I'm dealing with or the struggles I have, and to just say I am being a bother to you and this group is hurtful. There have been some on here who have been very kind and I'm grateful to them. But if there are people who are so hard on people in this group I think I will pass and try to find someplace else to connect with other women (which I doubt will be disappointing to you). 

• I am sorry that I did a one off post. I didn't know that that was so frowned upon or so annoying to everyone. I don't post on forums often so I don't know all the rules. I know that many people told me nicely they didn't like the one offs but by that point I had already posted it and there's no way for me to take it down. I wasn't aware that by posting a question on this forum that I was being a "self centred" person. I would have loved to have gotten to know people on here and would have loved to have supported others but at the moment I am feeling very un-welcomed. I know that I got a lot of kind answers from some on here and I said that in my previous comment. I am thankful to those who took the time to kindly talk to me. 

Also I don't know what the little things like QFP or FTFW mean. 
  • TimbitvaderTimbitvader member
    edited September 2017
    @looeeze I'm sorry I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to ask for myself. I was looking for some people to talk to and interact with. I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to start my own discussion. 
  • I am sorry that I did a one off post. I didn't know that that was so frowned upon or so annoying to everyone. I don't post on forums often so I don't know all the rules. I know that many people told me nicely they didn't like the one offs but by that point I had already posted it and there's no way for me to take it down. I wasn't aware that by posting a question on this forum that I was being a "self centred" person. I would have loved to have gotten to know people on here and would have loved to have supported others but at the moment I am feeling very un-welcomed. I know that I got a lot of kind answers from some on here and I said that in my previous comment. I am thankful to those who took the time to kindly talk to me. 

Also I don't know what the little things like QFP or FTFW mean. 
    My bad. It was supposed to be FTFY, which means Fixed That For You.
    Image result for can i interest you in a sarcastic comment
    Me: 33  DH: 34
    DS1: March 18, 2016
    DS2: due June 7, 2018
  • I don't even know what things like "lurking" mean. This one of the first forums I've posted on. I don't usually post on forums so I didn't realize there was a way to do things. 
  • Honestly I'm just so tired. On top of trying for another baby and not getting pregnant, my daughter is getting two year molars and is up half the night in pain which is hard for all of us. It's hard for her and it's hard for my husband and I when we aren't getting much sleep. And then having pressure from family about my brother when I am already feeling overwhelmed and wiped has been just another added stress. So I'm sorry that in my foggy state of mind that I haven't done things correctly. I'm not used to the sleep deprivation again and it's getting to me. I didn't mean to miss previous post or offend people. I'm just trying to deal with things the best I can and I thought talking to people here would help. 
  • I am sorry about your losses. This decision will ultimately be up to you and your husband. I am struggling with PCOS and can't put trying on hold or it may never happen. My sister is also getting engaged this fall and planning a destination wedding. There is a huge chance I may not be able to make it. But me and my husband are not putting our lives on hold for her wedding. 

If you and your brother are as close as you say then I am sure he would understand you not being able to make it if you are unable to travel due to pregnancy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • TimbitvaderTimbitvader member
    edited September 2017
    @suchaglencoco So what because I have one child but now am having struggles while trying to have a second I can't have an opinion on this site? Are you freaking kidding me? So what because I have a child my struggles don't matter? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"