January 2018 Moms
Options

Blood Cord Banking

Just curious if anyone has looked into this at all yet? I'd love if everyone could share whatever research they've gathered. I know that this is an extremely great investment in your child's future, but I also know it can be quite costly. 

Re: Blood Cord Banking

• Options
    I have not. I'm not sure how/if it works with delayed cord clamping though, which is important to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We aren't doing it but will be doing delayed clamping if delivery allows. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our son was prenatally diagnosed with HLHS. That qualified us for five years of free cord blood banking with Cord Blood Registry, because cord blood is experimentally used to provide therapies for HLHS.

Our cord blood banking experience was so easy. We had to have paperwork signed by our doctor to verify his diagnosis. The kit was quickly mailed to us, and everything was neatly boxed with instructions. We packed the kit in my hospital bag, and we made sure everyone who was present at birth knew to use the collection kit. After they collected the cord blood and tissue, hospital staff contacted a medical courier who came to pick it up.

For anyone who might qualify for free cord blood banking because of a medical condition, here is the relevant info: https://www.cordblood.com/benefits-cord-blood/free-cord-blood-banking
  • Options
    Like someone else said, the likelihood of using their own cord blood is very low. We did delayed or optimal cord clamping as we thought the advantages to that were far greater than banking. We also currently live in England and are moving back to the states, so we knew it would have to be moved at some point and I can't even imagine the cost of that. It just didn't make sense for our family. Also, if you do delayed cord clamping, banking isn't an option. Do some research and do what's best for your family! 
  • Options
    Is it ok to revive this old thread? Had anyone looked into this any further? I'd like to donate this baby's cord blood but I don't think the hospital I'm donating at has a program. At least they didn't when I delivered baby #2 there 2 years ago. 
  • Options
    @trudytudy https://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-cord-blood/how-to-donate-cord-blood/participating-hospitals/

I'm not sure how inclusive this list is but here are hospitals that participate. Some places will allow you to use a collection kit but I assume you'll need to talk to your midwife/ob.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! My hospital isn't on this list. Boo! The hospital I delivered my first baby at is though and I'm glad we were able to do it. I'll ask the midwife again but I bet I know the answer. 
  • Options
    I had planned to donate with my DD, but as an emergency C-section they were not able to save the blood.

just something to add to your list of points to discuss with your care provider when you talk about donating or banking.

Jan '18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    *Lurker* I would double check with your doctor about delayed clamping and banking. Granted, the person I spoke to was from a private banking company but she said that it is possible to do both. She said most doctors will typically delay clamping for a minute and that leaves enough for banking, too. Like I said, she may have had a vested interest in telling me we could do both but it's worth asking your doctor. (But, she also said that if they don't collect enough, it's no charge so that would mean that attempting and failing to do both would just cost them money.)

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18