April 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions - 8/20

Time for a new questions thread! Ask away ladies...

TW
Me: 33 DH: 32
Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
Started TTC August 2016
BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
BFP: 2/27/20

Re: Weekly Questions - 8/20

• Options
    Ok, at what point would you call your OB/midwife about anti-nausea meds? I am able to keep down some meals still but I'm so nauseous I can't concentrate all day. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna call Monday, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with it
  • Options
    @allowachick I don't have experience to share, but if I were you, I would definitely talk to my doctor. You need to be able to function, and today's nausea meds are safe, so why not?
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @fishsticks-n-custard I have heard of that. I just figured I'd talk to my midwives before starting anything on my own
  • Options
    julzyjulzy member
    edited August 2017
    I don't have advice but sending some good thoughts your way that you get some relief soon, @allowachick! With my first I was lucky to really have only two weeks of morning sickness. A few particularly bad days but for the most part it was pretty mild. I do have friends where it was quite worse though and they were prescribed meds and they have happy healthy babies.

Edited-- Earth Mama has an "Organic Heartburn Tea" that is good and might help. It's on Amazon. 
  • Options
    @allowachick I can't speak personally but I've heard ginger tea can help. Maybe ginger and lemon tea in the morning
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ekendall09 I do have a lemon ginger tea that provides some temporary relief. In general, I would recommend it
  • Options
    @ekendall09 I do have a lemon ginger tea that provides some temporary relief. In general, I would recommend it
    What brand?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    pghrenpghren member
    edited August 2017
    @ekendall09  I think it's Traditional Medicinals

ETA to add tag 
  • Options
    @allowachick just don't overdue it with the ginger tea. It's fine in small amounts but too much isn't safe. Peppermint tea is safer for pregnancy from what I understand. 
  • Options
    @allowachick Go for it! No need to sit around feeing miserable if there's something that can help you! Don't feel bad at all! I had zofran my last pregnancy and it REALLY helped! Good luck! 

For anyone who's insurance doesn't cover zofran. Get on goodrx.com you can get a coupon to drop the price down so much lower. I think target will drop it down to 13 dollars! I wish I'd know than in the past when I paid over $100 for it! 
  • Options
    @zombiemom1318 I didn't know zofran was safe for pregnancy! I've been on it before, and it is magical stuff
  • Options
    @allowachick I found this article from infant risk. https://www.infantrisk.com/content/nausea-and-vomiting-pregnancy Talks about the over the counter options. They're also a great resource if you have any questions about medications.

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @allowachick, I too would call.  I suffered through horrible MS with my 1st, for my entire pregnancy, I used zofran with my son and it was a lifesaver. 

Now, zofran is questionable with safety, but my pharmacist said it is still considered category b, but there are other options.
  • Options
    I posted this in the questions last week so I'm going to give it another shot here... I need some good ideas for high protein/low carb snacks. Any ideas? Bonus if they're peanut free for my peanut free classroom (while I'm at school). I'm hypoglycemic and would really like to avoid sugar crashes this early. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @allowachick things that helped with my nausea last time were yellow Gatorade, sour patch kids, jolly ranchers, preggie pop drops, sour watermelons, war heads, etc. Basically anything sour! Also, eating lots of protein really helped and avoiding hunger. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    thejuliajonesthejuliajones member
    edited August 2017
    Has anyone experienced severe fatigue and if so any advice? I'm a FTM, a little more than 5 weeks along and surprised to be feeling symptoms this early. Have been dog tired for the past 5 days straight. I've been avoiding caffeine for 2 months so I don't think it's a caffeine withdrawal issue, could be work but I've been getting plenty of sleep. I'd appreciate any advice.
  • Options
    lesliegolemlesliegolem member
    edited August 2017
    My Dr just called my progesterone only went from 8 to 8.8 in 4 days so she wants me to take suppositories. I didn't have to do this with my previous 2 pregnancies and this is a new Dr so I'm nervous! The Dr I saw for the spotting a couple weeks ago said a level of 8 is neither here nor there. Anyone else dealing with this type of thing?
  • Options
    Has anyone experienced severe fatigue and if so any advice? I'm a FTM, a little more than 5 weeks along and surprised to be feeling symptoms this early. Have been dog tired for the past 5 days straight. I've been avoiding caffeine for 2 months so I don't think it's a caffeine withdrawal issue, could be work but I've been getting plenty of sleep. I'd appreciate any advice.
    Sadly, that's completely normal.  The only thing you can do is nap, and get to second tri.  First tri is the pits.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @thejuliajones oh I've been feeling the same way. No caffeine here either. I will say with my first pregnancy the extreme fatigue passed after a few weeks so maybe it will for you too? It comes and goes through pregnancy it seems. My 2nd I did ok until last trimester. Then all i wanted to do was sleep.

Also definitely recommend peppermint or ginger to help with nausea! I did get zofran with my previous pregnancies but sometimes helped sometimes didn't. Sometimes I took it too late and threw it right back up. But for some it's a life saver.
  • Options
    @allowachick I take 3 diclegis pills a day and have almost no nausea anymore...they do make me super tired though. I say call your OB. 
  • Options
    @toorahloorah  Not sure if this is something you'd stomach right now if you have morning sickness, but I love to mix avocado, tuna and cherry tomatoes with a little salt.  It's really filling and very high protein, low carb.  Hard boiled eggs are good, greek yogurt, especially with almonds or pistachios and a drizzle of honey (not sure if you can have that if hypoglycemic?) can be tasty.  Hmm, what else?  Oh, you can do bake egg/veggie muffins and then just microwave them at work.  Do you have access to a microwave or are you stuck in your classroom?
  • Options
    @allowachick I'm right there with you. I have horrible "morning" sickness (all day, worst in evenings). I am so nauseous and have been vomiting. I was sick last pregnancy too and was really hoping I wouldn't be this time. My dr. Never perceived anything last time but I'm going to insist this time! Im so miserable. How on earth am I going to teacher 6 year olds in a week! I do all the little tricks, small meals, separate food and liquid, crackers before getting up, etc...
  • Options
    I posted this in the questions last week so I'm going to give it another shot here... I need some good ideas for high protein/low carb snacks. Any ideas? Bonus if they're peanut free for my peanut free classroom (while I'm at school). I'm hypoglycemic and would really like to avoid sugar crashes this early. 

How about chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with mozzarella and EVOO/balsamic drizzle with a little salt and pepper?

I sautee onions, peppers, mushrooms, and spinach in large batches and then sometimes scramble a few eggs at a time and separate to heat up at work.

Hummus and peppers?

pepperoni and cheese?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MattelMattel member
    edited August 2017
    I need suggestions for back pain relief. This has probably been my most troublesome symptom. It's especially affecting my sleep. 

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• Options
    @lesliegolem I went through fertility treatment, so I have been on progesterone suppositories since 6 dpo (before I knew I was pregnant). My level was 14.05, and they like it at 15 for fertility treatment and 10 for natural conception (Iwad so close this time to not needing them). They are annoying, but you only have to take them till you reach week 10. But at least you know you are doing everything to make sure your baby makes it. I think they only exacerbate pregnancy symptoms early on, so I doubt you will notice much of a difference.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    linds0503 said:
    @lesliegolem I went through fertility treatment, so I have been on progesterone suppositories since 6 dpo (before I knew I was pregnant). My level was 14.05, and they like it at 15 for fertility treatment and 10 for natural conception (Iwad so close this time to not needing them). They are annoying, but you only have to take them till you reach week 10. But at least you know you are doing everything to make sure your baby makes it. I think they only exacerbate pregnancy symptoms early on, so I doubt you will notice much of a difference.
    This is my understanding as well. 
  • Options
    Thanks linds0503 and saralee797-2! I was freaking out last night this is the first I've really heard about progesterone levels. I could of had low P with my previous 2 pregnancies but they never tested this early for it. That makes me feel better too if they like them to be 10, 8.8 isn't too low. Still I'll start the suppositories to be safe. 
  • Options
    @Mattel I've had killer back pain already too at night. I actually started using a pregnancy pillow already for my stomach and legs and it's been a lot better the last 2 nights. Baby is only the size of a blueberry but Dr said it's enough to start putting more pressure on your back and cause issues. 
  • Options
    Mattel said:
    I need suggestions for back pain relief. This has probably been my most troublesome symptom. It's especially affecting my sleep. 
    A little Tylenol and perhaps acupuncture?  After the first tri, schedule regular pre natal massages.  Maybe a snoogle pillow?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Mattel, ditto on a body pillow or pregnancy pillow.  I never stopped sleeping with a pillow between my knees after my first pregnancy, because it is SO good on my back.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Mattel, ditto on a body pillow or pregnancy pillow.  I never stopped sleeping with a pillow between my knees after my first pregnancy, because it is SO good on my back.
    I second this statement!

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Options
    @thejuliajones same as others have said, that's totally normal. And it's rough. With DS I remember it starting to let up around 8 or 9 weeks, then was okay through 2nd tri and most of 3rd. I don't have any advice, I'm just suffering through it. But hang in there, it gets better!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @ekendall09 I am full of lies. I see now that the tea is Yogi brand
  • Options
    @allowachick Be careful of the yogi brand ginger tea, when I bought it last pregnancy it wasn't until I got home that I realized it had Licorice in it which I've heard you should avoid in pregnancy. 

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    So I know it's important for the doctor to know what blood type you and your partner are because of Rh but what if you don't know your blood type? Would they just test us?
  • Options
    @fishsticks-n-custard monkeys! You're right! Tea is so confusing in pregnancy. They say most commercially available teas are safe then there are certain ingredients to avoid
  • Options
    @allowachick Be careful of the yogi brand ginger tea, when I bought it last pregnancy it wasn't until I got home that I realized it had Licorice in it which I've heard you should avoid in pregnancy. 
    you're a lifesaver. this is my favorite tea and I drank tons of it pre-pregnancy. Shelving for now and hoping I didn't do too much harm. I need to find a safe morning beverage. Time to buy some lemons...
  • Options
    Anyone not have their hCG double but everything was still a normal viable pregnancy?

My numbers were:
    Wednesday - 1065 (10:30am)
    Friday - 1821 (7:30am)

Obviously they didn't double, and it has this FTM over here feeling anxious. I've had one Ectopic (caught at 7 weeks) and one Chemical, and have never had my hCG be higher than 15 before. My doctor didn't seem that concerned, but she also didn't say that it was great. Basically it was "well we're just going to keep moving forward and being hopeful". She means well but it's not calming my fears. I'm 6 weeks today and don't have my first appointment for two more weeks.