June 2016 Moms

Straw cups vs Sippy cups

Sam transitioned out of bottles very easily. But I'm having a hard time finding a cup that I like. I went to straw cups because I felt like it was better for him to drink from a straw. He does very well. My problem is that ALL the straw cups I've tried leak like crazy. It's quite frustrating because they all have contraptions that are supposed to keep them from leaking, but it doesn't seem to work. Is he too young for straw cups? Is that the problem, or is there a magical straw cup out there that doesn't leak? 

Note: he also has one of the 360 spoutless cups. He drinks from it, but I feel like he doesn't like it as much as the straws. 

Any suggestions? 
Thank you!!

Re: Straw cups vs Sippy cups

• @meggyme had a great technical explanation why cups leak. Personally with my kids we have had the best luck with the hard spouts with the stoppers you put in to stop leaks, but honestly all cups leak.
  • Tawny87 said:
    @meggyme had a great technical explanation why cups leak. Personally with my kids we have had the best luck with the hard spouts with the stoppers you put in to stop leaks, but honestly all cups leak.
    I had the same issue and Ms. Engineer aka @meggyme broke down what was happening.  ;) I've given up and just make sure I have a towel or whatever all around the house for clean-up. We use the Nuby Clik-It FlipN'Sip Cup with 360 Straw after trying out several different brands. It leaked the least amount out of all of them for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ha ha! Ms Engineer here with your fluid dynamics fact of the day. If you put cold liquid in the sealed cup as it warms the pressure builds and that's why it leaks out the straw. I've found if you don't click the lid all the way or keep the lid that folds the straw down it doesn't leak as bad. I usually open the lid real quick if it's been sitting awhile to avoid the liquid gushing out once I unfold the straw.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Okay. Thank you guys. This was very helpful
  • Tomee tipee straw cups have been helping us. But the temp is right. I keep juice boxes on the counter next to her pure water jug and only use room temp liquid. Seems to be eliminating 90% of the leaks
  • For those using the Munchkin 360 cup, did you find initially your LO was taking in too much water and/or water was "going down the wrong pipe" a lot? I'm hoping it's just a learning curve and he'll get better at it but the swallowing down the wrong pipe thing makes me nervous. Damien is still very new to using it since he's been using a straw sippy cup for a while now.
  • Tristan actually has more of issue with the straw cups and water in general from anything.  I think it may be a viscosity thing.  I don't know... He seems to clear the water ok and sometimes just keeps drinking while he is coughing.  I just shake my head and make sure he comes up for air.  He has gotten better over the last couple of months, especially now that he is working on just using a normal cup.  Overall seems like slow progress to me, but he hasn't given up so I don't worry.  He likes drinking out of water bottles...