January 2018 Moms
Options

Baby Registry Advice

(I know this was talked about in some general threads, but thought it would be easier to have a specific registry thread)

I know we will all be registering soon, so I thought it may be helpful if any STM+ had any advice, tips, must-haves, etc. for the baby registry.

STM+ - Any must haves? Anything you got that you never used? Anything you wished you would have registered for?
FTM - What questions do you have?

Re: Baby Registry Advice

• Options
    Oh, first time mom questions here! I've actually never registered for anything before, we had sort of a shotgun wedding, so we didn't register for that either...

WHEN should I start the registry? 

Does it make sense to register at just one place or more than one place? 

Is it considered greedy and inappropriate to put decor/theme stuff on the registry? I come from a middle-class-but-practical background and DH comes from a poor background, and both of our families are kind of raising eyebrows at the idea of registering for new stuff in the first place, when we could just buy perfectly good drop side cribs and moldy old high chairs on Craigslist. *slightly exaggerated* But I feel greedy/spoiled asking for decor or themed items when we could get plain utilitarian stuff so much cheaper without caring if it matched. Did anyone else have a similar experience and what did you do? 
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop I can kind of relate. Husband is a full time student and I make decent money but I wouldnt say enough to splurge with a student husband and baby on the way. For now we are "accepting" used baby items from friends and family that are in great condition or even buying them. DH's best friend had a beautiful crib his daughter used twice so he bought his friend a nightstand in exchange lol. My boss had a 4moms rocker originally $230 I bought from her for $75. Other random items from family like changing tables and car seats stuff like that. But after all that I want themed matching things for my baby. DH's mom wants to already go out and buy things for the baby which of course is nice but I really want her to wait until we know the sex so we can get matching things. We shouldnt have to feel selfish about it. Just because we arent rich and have expendable money doesnt mean we have to "settle". Hope this helps :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    missblazemissblaze member
    edited August 2017
    Oh, first time mom questions here! I've actually never registered for anything before, we had sort of a shotgun wedding, so we didn't register for that either...

WHEN should I start the registry? 

Does it make sense to register at just one place or more than one place? 

Is it considered greedy and inappropriate to put decor/theme stuff on the registry? I come from a middle-class-but-practical background and DH comes from a poor background, and both of our families are kind of raising eyebrows at the idea of registering for new stuff in the first place, when we could just buy perfectly good drop side cribs and moldy old high chairs on Craigslist. *slightly exaggerated* But I feel greedy/spoiled asking for decor or themed items when we could get plain utilitarian stuff so much cheaper without caring if it matched. Did anyone else have a similar experience and what did you do? 

@auntieraindrop Start your registry whenever! You can always modify it.

I registered at two places - I think Buy Buy Baby and Amazon (some people, especially the ones that live at a distance, appreciated the ability to use Prime).

Put whatever you want on the registry. People will end up getting you what they feel is best.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    I second the above points by @gusgus14! I actually registered at the same places for the free gift bags and discounts lol ;)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @auntieraindrop I started it around 20 weeks with DD. I will warn you that Target is notorious for things going out of stock or discontinuing items, so check your registry every so often in case you need to update it. We only registered at Target. Keep in mind too that you do get completion coupons! We put stuff on our registry even after our shower so that we could get the extra 15% off or whatever it is now. Example: we put a glider on the registry maybe a week after my baby shower, got the 15% off, and then used the gift cards we got at the shower so we paid nothing out of pocket for it.

Must haves: swaddle blankets, different brands of pacis and bottles like @jakobaby mentioned, diaper bag, diapers, plain onesies for layering

Didn't use: baby food grinder, diaper genie, wipe warmer

Getting this time: Just like @missblaze, I'll be getting a backpack diaper bag this time. The shoulder one was nice, but it gets really heavy and isn't as organized as I'd like it to be. Also getting a video monitor this time for the convenience, although we've been doing just fine with our audio one. Video will mostly be for DD so she can have quiet time in her room and I can keep an eye on her.
  • Options

Must haves:

Muslin swaddle blankets (pricy but amazing!), zip up pajamas, swaddle me swaddlers, floor mat for tummy time, pack n play w/bassinet and changing table attached, lots of burp rags, swing or something to contain baby in, white noise machine, infant bath tub

Didn't use:

Bumbo (well,only used a few times, my son started crawling at 5mos), pajamas with the snaps (huge pain in the butt during middle of the night changes when you're sleep deprived, no thanks!!)

We'd like to get a forehead thermometer this time to make things easier but they are expensive so we'll see!

I agree with not putting clothes on the registry unless you put bigger sizes on there like 9-12 month and up or anything specific you just have to have. We received a TON of newborn and 0-3 month clothes by pretty much everyone who got us a gift. Clothes are cute and people just can't help not buying them

• Options
    Good lists here! Two things that have been mentioned, but I used alternatives to:
    Diaper Genie: I think they smell awful and are really impractical, plus the bags don't fit a lot and buying the cartridges of bags is annoying. I got an Ubbi instead. It's stainless steel so it doesn't hold smells, and uses regular kitchen trash bags. Best $70 we spent. It's in my living room and you would never know there is a week worth of diapers before trash day.

Diaper Bag: I used my standard issue diaper bag exactly 3 times before I got annoyed with it and switched to a camel back backpack I had already had for years. Makes life so much easier, especially if you travel a lot. I use gallon size ziploc bags for organisation and it works great! 

I also second having a good baby carrier or wrap. Do your research and find one that works best for you. Look into whether there is a babywearig group in your area, they often have a sling library that will allow you to try out different carriers before you buy one. It's totally worth it because I bought what I thought I needed and it ended up being a terrible carrier for petite ladies. I tried a different one that is perfect and I wish I would have bought it in the first place.
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for starting this thread. As a FTM, I have no idea where to start, too. Quick question -- maybe it's just where I live but I noticed a lot of people choose Buy Buy Baby over Babies R Us registries. @gusgus14 pointed out the completion benefits of both (thank you for that, super helpful!) , but still I notice many people choose BBB between the two. Any reason why? 

ETA spelling
  • Options
    FTM questions if anyone has input on any of them!

1) Bassinet, co-sleeper, or pack n play with bassinet top if we're "planning" to have LO sleep in our room until s/he is ready for crib (hoping for 4-6 months)?

2) Anyone used the Freemie breastfeeding system OR have comments on what they would expect based on looking at it? I heard positive reviews from a friend of a friend.

3) Gliders. Any tips for shopping? For example, high or low arms? Chair-and-a-half or regular size? Brands? Fabrics? 

4) Anyone in love with their backpack diaper bag and have a recommendation? We live on 3rd floor condo so I'm definitely going to have to do the backpack route for days I'm carrying/wearing LO and trekking upstairs.

5) Convertible crib/toddler bed vs crappy crib to start. Any tips or is it exactly what you'd expect (if you know what you want long-term, do the convertible, and if you don't, do the crib)?

PS These tips are a goldmine! Especially when you love a product so much that you are listing the exact item name (when it isn't a situation that baby may/may not like the brand or type). And the ones about zip on pajamas and easy-to-clean highchairs. So helpful - THANK YOU!
  • Options
    Must Haves: zipper pjs, rock and play, nose frida!!!! pack and play, cheap receiving blankets (still use with my 2 year old when I have to change her I'm public), baby bathtub, monitor
  • Options
    clc515 said:
    Thanks for starting this thread. As a FTM, I have no idea where to start, too. Quick question -- maybe it's just where I live but I noticed a lot of people choose Buy Buy Baby over Babies R Us registries. @gusgus14 pointed out the completion benefits of both (thank you for that, super helpful!) , but still I notice many people choose BBB between the two. Any reason why? 

ETA spelling
    @clc515 I really like Buy Buy Baby because you can use the 20% off coupons (both the ones that say Buy Buy Baby and also the Bed Bath and Beyond ones). Plus I think that the selection is different. I'm getting my glider from them...with the coupon! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think I shared this when the conversation came up somewhere else, but here is the Keep/Toss/Add list that the S14 STMs came up with - counts of how many votes things got either way, plus any comments people had.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EFl4MAxV4d6NTkJg-aMgJOfk0hl0U1sowKfCtN1yd0o/edit?usp=sharing

*Boppy is fine for propping and tummy time but sucked for nursing. I got to try a My Breast Friend at a lactation consultant's and it was way way better. At home I just used a spare decorative pillow to help prop him up.

*I love having a Diaper Genie. It does get kind of smelly but you can get refills on the charcoal deodorizer. It fits the generic Target brand bags. We kind of suck at adulting and sometimes overfilled it, I feel like that's when it really gets smelly. And even then it was more the weird absorbent diaper chemicals than poop and pee

*Baby gates. I know you're not thinking about them now, but get them before you need them. I ended up with a new crawler and a sinus infection at the same time and literally laid down across the doorway to keep him in the room bc I was too miserable to do more. We have a 5+ foot opening between the play (former dining) room and the living room, and my dad installed this for us: https://northstatesind.com/product/deluxe-decor-gate/ You can't really tell from the photos but the side pieces are adjustable to different angles so it can fit different door widths.

*Cloth diapers and swaddle blankets - even if you don't plan to CD or your kid hates being swaddled. Prefolds make excellent burp cloths, and we used them constantly. Someone gave me a 10 or 15 pack at my shower and they were great. The cute terry ones were worthless by comparison. The big muslin swaddles (like Aden & Anais) are great for all kinds of other things too - tummy time minus eating the carpet fuzz, shade over the stroller or car seat, snuggle up while nursing. I've found multipacks of A&A blankets discounted at places like TJMaxx.

*Rock n Play was wonderful. He never really slept in it but like others said, you gotta have a safe place to put the baby down. It's very lightweight so it's easy to carry between rooms even if you don't collapse it (which I recall being kind of difficult one-handed since you have to press the buttons on both sides at the same time).

*Swaddles & sleep sacks. After Thing 1 outgrew the swaddle blanket (read: started busting out like a tiny Hulk) we switched to Miracle Swaddles but there are several alternatives - it has a pocket for the feet and long flaps to wrap the arms. Sturdier than a muslin once LO gets a bit bigger. Then we transitioned to Zipadeezips (this was right after they were on Shark Tank and all the rage) and used both the small and medium. By the time he outgrew those he was big enough that we were comfortable with him having a blanket in the crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @clc515 - I did babies r us simply because of proximity to my house (Chantilly) The closest Buybuybaby is Dulles and I hear the one in Springfield is way better and I just don't want to go all the way there... I have heard the babies r us in Sterling is bigger than Chantilly but I haven't gone there yet.
  • Options
    @Cricket99 Checking out the Ubbi..

Definitely get some kind of baby carrier! I love my wildbird sling. We got a cheapie infantino that we enjoy too, DH loves it.

@libbberty we used a pack&play with a bassinet piece. I loved it! For a glider, I wanted one that had a side pocket on the arm for keeping my phone/nursing pads/snacks, whatever. That was my only must-have. We also got a convertible crib, but since this baby was a bit of a surprise we won't be using it for a toddler bed for DD. We hope to use it for this baby as a toddler bed though!
  • Options
    Oh one annoying thing with Target registries that we noticed with both our wedding and baby registries, was that they sometimes have different item numbers for the same thing in-store and online. So if you add something through the website people might not be able to find it in store even if it's there, and vice versa.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @missblaze thanks! I actually forgot about the 20% off coupons. 
    @Mudge85 Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about a) size of store/selection and b) proximity/availability of stores for convenience either. I usually shop Amazon, which I'll def register there, too, but want to choose a good brick and mortar too. 

This thread is gold :) 
  • Options
    EagsEags member
    It seems like everyone has chimed in, but I'll add on too. 

Must haves for us with DS:
    glider with ottoman 
    pack n play (for sleeping downstairs before I was ready for stairs and for trips)
    swaddles - like the Velcro, keep your arms inside kind 
    good thermometer
    at least one brand of diaper cream on hand (DS had diaper rash in the hospital. Though we had some cream from them, it wasn't much)

I also like registering at 3-4 different places because of the completion discounts and bags of goodies. We'll be registering this time around even though we won't be having a shower (that I'm aware of) I just want the discount!
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • Options
    @clc515 - just keep in mind that there are some exclusions with their 20% off coupons (they won't apply to some brands).
  • Options
    @clc515 - this may be more of a regional/specific store thing, but a lot of my friends had registered at babies r us, but they all had horror stories with items just disappearing off the registries, stores not accepting back items even with gift receipts, etc, so DH and I decided to use mainly BBB and have a small list going on amazon.

@libbberty - we are going the backpack diaper bag route too! we also live on a 3rd floor walk up. The one i like at buy buy baby is the obersee oslo backpack. it has a detachable cooler, and seems to be very functional. It does have a bit of a high price tag, but it's something that i can see us using through the toddler years and more. For cribs, my parents were very generous and gifted us convertible cribs from pottery barn kids. the crib converts into toddler beds, but not into a full size bed. the twins will be sharing a room until we can buy a house in 3-4 years, so the toddler beds will be good until we buy them "real" beds for the new house... :smile:
  • Options
    @CrisS13 - i totally forgot about this! she also has a list for twins/multiples as well!
  • Options
    A few things I haven't seen shared here yet that are my must-haves:
    • Video baby monitor 
    • Infant car seat/extra base(s)
    • Carter's side snap shirts (loved these before the umbilical cord stump fell off- no irritation on the belly)
    • SwaddleMes (velcro swaddles)
    • Aquaphor/Butt Paste/Gas Drops/Saline/etc. 
    • California Baby bath products (I loved the lavender!)
    • MAM pacifiers 
    • Zutano side-snap booties (perfect footwear for winter babe)
    • I love our Skip Hop diaper bag because the strap fits perfectly across the stroller handlebar and hangs down so it's easy to access the contents (vs. digging out of the stroller basket)
    • Also, I registered for a few fun toys. It made the nursery feel "real" and it was fun to have them on hand when she got older. Suggest soft blocks, plastic colorful links, crinkly toys
    • Sophie the Giraffe

And a few things I will echo:
    • Muslin A&A blankets
    • Rock and Play

And a few things I have my eye on for this baby but haven't had experience with:
    • Mamaroo swing
    • Ergo 360

...omg this is fun. I'll stop now.
  • Options
    Must haves
    * Rock n play (DD slept in this the first six week of her life next to our bed, until we transitioned her to the crib)
    * Pack n play (We still use this all the time now with DD, but was used downstairs in our house as a changing table/place to put baby to sleep)
    * Lots of onesie pjs (I like a mix of zippers & snaps.  DD was a January baby, and it was easier to just unsnap a few buttons and change her diaper, instead of unzipping her pjs and exposing her to the cold.  I used both types pretty equally)
    * Aquaphor- this stuff is amazing!
    * Swaddles (My favorites were the Love to Dream Swaddle Up, Summer Infant SwaddleMe and the Zippadee Zip)
    * Ubbi diaper pail (this thing does not smell at all, one of the best gifts we got)

I wish I had researched a bit more on infant car seats/stroller.  We went with the Britax B Safe Elite and the B Agile stroller.  The car seat is a beast (very safe), but the head/shoulder opening is very narrow.  My DD outgrew it by six months old and we moved her to the Graco 4Ever convertible seat.  The B Agile stroller was okay for walking around Target, but the wheels were not great for being outdoors.  We ended up with a Baby Jogger City Elite, which is amazing.  It just glides on the sidewalk/grass, worth every penny!

As prior posters have mentioned you will get so many clothes, most likely in 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes.  I exchanged about 75% of what I got for larger sizes, as my DD pretty much lived in onesie pajamas the first 4 months of her life.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    The only thing I can think of as a must have that I haven't seen posted yet is night gowns. The little newborn-3 month ones that have the elastic at the bottom and are super long. They are warm for baby and make night time changes ridiculously easy. I wish they had them for bigger babies and was so sad when DS out grew them. Oh and also little infant mittens! When they are little, their fingernails are like razors and they cut their poor faces like crazy. a lot of long sleeve onsies have the mittens built into the sleeves. 
  • Options
    Yes @steph30032 Sleep Sacks are a must. DH was very afraid of DD and wouldn't put her in regular pj's for fear of breaking her but also bc they are a pain to take off and on the bottom every 30 minutes or so.

I will also second (or 3rd or 4th):

* Rock N Play 
    * gas drops and gripe water
    * a zillion burp clothes  (we still had to do laundry once a day with a zillion)
    *Burts bee diaper cream (DH calls it Muggle cream bc it's magical)
    * a carrier (during the 2nd leap DD would only sleep in the carrier, if you want to pee get one)

I think the most valuable thing we got was Amazon Prime. We found we needed things are instead of driving 30+ minutes to a baby store it was ordered and delivered next day.

Also I didn't see mentioned:
    * butt whistles
    *nose Freda
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 YES to the nosefrida! It is the best. We still use it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Forgot about Carters Keep Me Dry Pads (or something similar). We would lay these under baby a lot. Saved me from changing sheets and the changing pad cover constantly.

• Options
    What is a butt whistle? Dare I ask? 
  • Options
    Just a tip, but when buying clothes, keep in mind that Gerber runs super small. I would have to usually buy a size ahead of what he normally was in Gerber clothes. Like when he was in 0-3 months, I'd get Gerber clothes in 3-6 months. I know that's not exactly a thing for baby registries, but it randomly just popped in my head and this is where everyone's talking about baby shopping lol
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop - if it's what i'm thinking of, it's made by the people that make the nose frida. It's this little tube/stick that you insert a bit when the baby has gas, and it helps them pass it... :lol: