February 2018 Moms

Red Rasberry Leaf Tea

Thoughts and opinions on it? Have any STM+ used this during pregnancy before? After looking up the possible benefits I'm considering starting it somewhere in the second trimester. I'll definitely bring it up to my OB first though! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Red Rasberry Leaf Tea

• I don't think you are supposed to start it until 32 weeks

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Agreed. I would clear it with your OB before use. 

I drank it two weeks before DD was born (would have been four weeks before, but she came early). And I don't think it did anything to help my labor/muscles. I was in labor for 26 hours and my contractions actually grew further apart halfway through and they started me on pitocin anyway. So who knows?

I can say the stuff tasted gross to me. So there's that. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Interesting! I'll definitely ask about it first. I drank it pre pregnancy for period cramps and noticed a huge difference. But, stopped when I got my BFP. I was researching use during pregnancy and most things say after the first trimester. Clearly I'm asking my DR first and won't start anytime soon bc I had a big scare the other day. Jw what everyone else's experiences are. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • STM here. I drank a ton of it, everyday, towards the end of my pregnancy. I also ate dates everyday the last few weeks. Can't remember how many weeks I drank the tea. I ended up having to be induced at nearly 2 weeks overdue. I went in at 4 cm and not in active labor, the whole induction/labor lasted 8 hours. I pushed less than 30 minutes. I don't know if i should credit the tea or not but its worth a shot I'd say! 
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited July 2017
    It's a tonic and not at all oxytocic. It can make preexisting uterine activity more efficient, but it doesn't induce contractions.

I started drinking it around 28 weeks with #2, and 24ish weeks with the next three. I like the taste, and I steeped it with other teas (Nettles).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20220111
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Doesn't work. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DH: 32
    Me: 31
    Baby #1: BFP 1/30/14, EDD 9/28/14, natural MC @ 6 weeks
    Baby #2: BFP 8/1/2014, EDD 4/9/2015, It's a GIRL: Addison Elizabeth!

•  I agree with the other commenters that said 2nd tri seems too early.  I took it in pill form which was easier for me than drinking it.  My brand was cleared by my OB but she also said there isn't any proof that it works.
  • @farmrose - I think the issue here, or in similar types of threads, is that recommendations vary based on the caregiver's model of care and practice. I saw a group of CNMs with #1 and #2, and most were neutral about the use of tonics and other *preparatory* herbs and such, and a few others, who used to practice as homebirth midwives, encouraged it starting mid-second trimester, so long as there was no history or risk of IC and PTL. I planned homebirths with my next three, and had partial dual care, and those providers practiced a model I knew to expect. For those unfamiliar with or not part of the OOHB or med-free birth community, these sort of tonics may fall outside of what they're comfortable with.

The other issue is, for those who are unfamiliar with these practices and model of care, they receive misinformation regarding its intended purpose. So the fact that it doesn't "work" to induce labor, isn't an accurate value judgment of the herb itself, since that's not its intended purpose as a uterine tonic. It can make contractions work more efficiently, and thereby decrease the length of active labor and the second stage, but there are a host of variables and other factors where this alone won't necessarily yield desired results. If there's an issue of fetal malpositioning at the onset of labor, and labor stalls or is slow to progress, thus leading to a longer labor, it's not that the RRLT and/or EPO didn't "work," it's that other factors impeded the normal progression of labor. I can say it worked for me if by "work" that means my contractions were so efficient that I made it to transition or near-birth without realizing anything was happening or about to happen. It could just be my own physiology and the way my uterus "labors," as well as other factors that optimize the labor process. (fetal position and other factors)

And as with a lot of things, YMMV. Everyone's physiology is different, so its beneficial effects will be based on each individual's body and other circumstances. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• My folate pre-natals have an herbal blend including red raspberry leaf. I still take them daily as I did while TTC. It's nowhere near the dosage you get in the tea so it's safe for 1st trimester. I don't know if it works as it states it does but since I need the folate rather than folic acid and I like that my vitamin is organic, I'll keep taking it. 

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018