March 2018 Moms

STM check in 7/26

How far along are you? 

How old are your other kids? 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions

Re: STM check in 7/26

• Loading the player...
  • @heatherdubrow Thanks for starting this! And that is an adorable story.  

@LiveNLove44 We're having to really look at our budget too with having two in daycare.  I know we have places to cut back, but it still makes me nervous that we won't be able to save much.

How far along are you? 
    5w1d

11 months this Saturday

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  
    How much napping should an 11 month old get in during the day.  She normally sleeps 11-12 hours at night and takes a 1.5-2 hours nap in the morning.  But getting her down for an afternoon nap is the worst.  I can tell she is tired, but she just resists.
    Also, I'm feeling like a failure at introducing a sippy cup.  I've tried a straw cup and the munchkin 360 and she just doesn't seem to get them.  And TBH I tried the straw cup and I found it hard to suck water from.  I just ordered some "training" cups that are more like standard sippys but have the silicone mouthpiece.  Maybe she'll take to those.

Still pretty much in disbelief.  If the u/s goes well in 2 weeks I think it'll set in and I'll get more excited.

see above
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • @kmalls we didn't do the three-day method, but let me know how it goes!!

We gave DD 1 Reese's Pieces for #1 and 2 for #2. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it worked! We don't generally do food as rewards, but it was a tried and true method that we weren't going to mess with for potty training. She was always dry at wakeup, so nighttime was a lot easier than we anticipated (until recently--see above). She went to the store to pick out her own little potty chair, new underwear, and a reward for when she could go a whole week without an accident. It was the right motivation for our DD, and I know it's worked for others, so if the three-day doesn't pan out, there are other options, too! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @becausescience, the sippy cup will come with time. Cut yourself some slack :smile: If I were in your situation with the naps, I would cut the morning nap and try to push it out toward lunch, You may have a few days where the nap happens over lunch time, but eventually I think you could nudge it out so her one long nap happens right after lunch. That is typically a nap time for my kids and most of the kids I know, so maybe your LO is just ready for one nap a day?

• How far along are you? 
    I "think" 5+1 but won't know for sure until I have my appt. 

Just turned 1 in the beginning of July. 

Just the norm. I worry about sharing my attention with another kid. 

I'm excited to complete our family! We are done after two. 

None....yet! 

• @becausescience we ran into that when it was time to drop the morning nap. Maybe give that a try? Also we have had really good luck with the zoli straw cups for learning to use one. It has a weighted straw so however it tips you can still get water out.
  • @kmalls, I am in the same boat as you.  I need to get the ball rolling, but the most I've done is download the Elmo potty movie and hope he got something out of it....
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• @LiveNLove44 @heatherdubrow Thanks so much for your advice.  Dropping to one nap has been in the back of my mind.  Now I just have to work up the courage to adjust her schedule.  
  • @becausescience, at first, we struggled with sippy cups. DS was totally lost with the 360. We just kept giving it to him and showing him how to use it. One day, he just got it. We're in a weird limbo stage with naps. He only takes 1 afternoon nap at daycare, but at home, he still wants a morning nap. I think it's totally normal for them to start to transition to 1 nap at this age, so maybe that's what he's trying to do. 

@LiveNLove44
    I also get that feeling sometimes. I feel very fortunate that we have a happy, healthy, relatively easy baby. What if we don't get so lucky this time? 

How far along are you? 
    7w3d

11 months
    I feel like we're in a pretty good routine right now. I know adding a newborn to the mix is going to kill any sense if routine we have now. 
    I'm just looking forward to seeing DS interact with his little sibling
    At daycare drop-off this morning, DS started crawling toward me saying "Mama". He doesn't say Mama regularly yet, so this melted my heart and broke it all at once. 
  •  How far along are you? 9 weeks

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  My son bit his daycare teachers yesterday more than once :s I feel awful, he is just going through a phase of tantrums right now but I hate that he acted out like that at daycare. I made him apologize this morning as soon as we got in, but I couldn't really discipline him because I don't think he actually remembers what he is in trouble for a few hours later. Any tips for helping with acting out in this way if I'm not actually there to discipline him when it happens? (They do put him into time-out which is what we would do at home as well, I guess I just feel bad that someone else is having to discipline him instead of me.)

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : My son has started showing a lot of interest in potty training and I'm pretty hopeful that he will be out of diapers before this baby arrives :D

Married 6/2013, TTC 9/2013.
    ***TW***
    MC 12/2013, Blighted Ovum 04/2014, CP 06/2014
    Began RPL testing 07/2014
    BFP #4 10/26/2014; Theo born 07/2015
    BFP #5 06/17/2017, EDD 02/28/18

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How far along are you? 7ish weeks

How old are your other kids? 1.5 and 3.5

Nervous about splitting time. It was a learning curve for me going from 1-2, and I am sure there will be more learning with another one. I hope I figure out time management easier this time.

Excited for another because going through all of it twice and having such a deep love for my kids just gets me super excited to go through it all again! 

Wondering how my youngest will adjust. She's a wild thing!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hullabalou: First, I think it's important to recognize that biting is pretty normal and just a phase. It sucks but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your child. My daughter went through a rough biting spell at 2. One week she bit someone at school every single day :weary: We were in the same predicament as you (and all other parents of biters.) She really didn't bite at home and by the time we found out it happened, it was too late for her to correlate the action and the punishment. Naturally you will want to address/correct as it happens at home but really it's up to the DC to address it at school. They should also look for trends - is it a certain child? A certain time of day? A certain toy/activity? If they identify a pattern they can try to step in proactively when they see a trigger situation. With our daughter the school was ready to have a shadow teacher follow her around to make sure she didn't bite (how embarassing, btw.) Thankfully that seemed to be the tail end of it and it never happened. After a while our daughter stopped biting others when she got mad and would bite herself instead. It was terrible. In the end it was relatively short lived and so far she seems to be a totally normal, sweet, well adjusted 4 year old. Hang in there!

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• MLD912MLD912 member
    How far along are you? 
    5+1

DD is 3.5

We recently switched DD to a new daycare (she was at her previous one since 3 mos), and there has been a serious adjustment period. She's getting great feedback from her teachers, but is much more challenging at home. Hoping that calms down soon. Also, I'm due 2 days before DD's 4th b-day... hoping it doesn't fall on the same day.

Thrilled to see DD be a big sister. This will be our last baby, so I'm trying to soak up every single thing about this pregnancy and newborn phase.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hullabalou: First, I think it's important to recognize that biting is pretty normal and just a phase. It sucks but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your child. My daughter went through a rough biting spell at 2. One week she bit someone at school every single day :weary: We were in the same predicament as you (and all other parents of biters.) She really didn't bite at home and by the time we found out it happened, it was too late for her to correlate the action and the punishment. Naturally you will want to address/correct as it happens at home but really it's up to the DC to address it at school. They should also look for trends - is it a certain child? A certain time of day? A certain toy/activity? If they identify a pattern they can try to step in proactively when they see a trigger situation. With our daughter the school was ready to have a shadow teacher follow her around to make sure she didn't bite (how embarassing, btw.) Thankfully that seemed to be the tail end of it and it never happened. After a while our daughter stopped biting others when she got mad and would bite herself instead. It was terrible. In the end it was relatively short lived and so far she seems to be a totally normal, sweet, well adjusted 4 year old. Hang in there!

He luckily has not been biting other kids, he had a note about biting once or twice a few months ago but both times were isolated incidents. I don't know if it is better or worse that he is biting his teachers instead! Yesterday one of the teachers was laying on her belly playing trucks with the kids and he walked over and BIT HER ON THE BUTTCHEEK. They said he isn't doing it when angry or frustrated, he just seems to think it's funny. I'm hoping this is a quickly passing phase, lol!
    Married 6/2013, TTC 9/2013.
    ***TW***
    MC 12/2013, Blighted Ovum 04/2014, CP 06/2014
    Began RPL testing 07/2014
    BFP #4 10/26/2014; Theo born 07/2015
    BFP #5 06/17/2017, EDD 02/28/18

BabyFruit Ticker
  • sorry but that made me lol @hullabalou

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• kmallskmalls member
    @hullabalou: First, I think it's important to recognize that biting is pretty normal and just a phase. It sucks but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your child. My daughter went through a rough biting spell at 2. One week she bit someone at school every single day :weary: We were in the same predicament as you (and all other parents of biters.) She really didn't bite at home and by the time we found out it happened, it was too late for her to correlate the action and the punishment. Naturally you will want to address/correct as it happens at home but really it's up to the DC to address it at school. They should also look for trends - is it a certain child? A certain time of day? A certain toy/activity? If they identify a pattern they can try to step in proactively when they see a trigger situation. With our daughter the school was ready to have a shadow teacher follow her around to make sure she didn't bite (how embarassing, btw.) Thankfully that seemed to be the tail end of it and it never happened. After a while our daughter stopped biting others when she got mad and would bite herself instead. It was terrible. In the end it was relatively short lived and so far she seems to be a totally normal, sweet, well adjusted 4 year old. Hang in there!

He luckily has not been biting other kids, he had a note about biting once or twice a few months ago but both times were isolated incidents. I don't know if it is better or worse that he is biting his teachers instead! Yesterday one of the teachers was laying on her belly playing trucks with the kids and he walked over and BIT HER ON THE BUTTCHEEK. They said he isn't doing it when angry or frustrated, he just seems to think it's funny. I'm hoping this is a quickly passing phase, lol!
    omg I know it's not funny, @hullabalou, but that made me laugh. Fuckin' kids, man! 
  • @kmalls, we didn't do the 3 day, but we followed the book Oh Crap Potty Training which has a lot of similarities. It went really well. We started on July 6 and our DS definitely has more accident-free days than accidents. Naps and nighttime are a different story. I've done so much laundry and am throwing in the towel on those for a bit. Just put him in a pull up for his nap today and he's been sleeping for 3 hours. So I'll take it!! Because mama needs some sleep after all this laundry!!!!!

I really liked the book I read and found her logic of potty training to just "make sense" with what I expected. I was super nervous going into it. Did DS pee on the floor? Yup. Did he poop on the floor? Yup. Did we face obstacles? Absolutely. But I think overall he's doing very well with it and I really can't complain. 
  • @becausescience My daughter never really took to any sippy cup. One day I just started giving her a tiny bit of water in a shot glass and she quickly learned to drink from it. She did spill-often on purpose which is part of the process but wasn't that big of a deal since it was just a tiny bit of water. Then we moved to larger plastic cups and by 16 months she was able to use a regular glass. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @becausescience My daughter never really took to any sippy cup. One day I just started giving her a tiny bit of water in a shot glass and she quickly learned to drink from it. She did spill-often on purpose which is part of the process but wasn't that big of a deal since it was just a tiny bit of water. Then we moved to larger plastic cups and by 16 months she was able to use a regular glass. 
    You're awesome. It's the perfect size for little hands!!

• How far along are you? 
    8+5 (finally have an official due date!

12 months 

DS has been in an awful mood the past week. He's in the middle of a leap and teething but geez... sometimes I wonder how I'll handle two!

I'm really excited to see DS interact with his sibling. He loves other kids!!! 

Ready to be over this exhaustion!! On the plus side, DS FINALLY seems to be in a good sleep routine! Hopefully it lasts!
  • @becausescience we just started the transition to one nap. He just turned 1... It's been a little rough by the end of the day but he won't do more than one nap. I've got him pushed back to about 10-10:30. Hoping to get it to 11:30/12. Also realizing when the new baby comes my whole day will be kids napping...
  • How far along are you? 6wish

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  It hasn't fully sunken in yet and we are not telling DS until it's for sure a sticky bean. DS has been going through a potty regression at night time. He usually wakes up and goes but lately he's been sleeping through it and waking up wet around 3am. It's been 5 nights in a row now so I've decided I will start waking up around 2am to take him to the potty, not fun but better than stripping all the sheets every night! 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : Similar to @livenlove44 I'm looking forward to completing our family. After this baby we will get a dog and then we are done! 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions: I know I'm not very far along at all but I wish I had some symptoms! With DS I was incredibly exhausted and nauseous. Right now I got nothing and it's making me nervous! 
  • How far along are you? 
    4w5d 

2yo DD 

My daughter has been really testing me and pushing her limits with me lately.  She's not doing this nearly as much with my husband but he's always been the more stern one.  I know I need to get better at being more firm with her - this has been my wake-up that she's truly not a baby anymore and a full on testing toddler now! 

DD loves babies and loves taking care of her stuffies like they are her babies.  She's very sweet, gentle, and caring with them.  Excited to see her as a big sis! 

I work in health care and so does my husband.  One day a week we end up working in the same tiny cottage hospital (I'm talking as small as they get - usually only 10-15 staff in the building at once so eveyone knows each other super well and my husband is there full time so he knows everyone really well).  Had to get bloodwork done and it was easiest to do it there. Then got a horrible back spasm in the afternoon that made it uncomfortable to even sit, so ended up in the physio's office.  Long story short with both these things 4 of our coworkers found out I'm expecting !  We have told no one at all yet so really hoping word doesn't spread!  It likely won't as they all take confidentiality seriously but one of them was so excited I'm just hoping she doesn't accidentally slip up! 
  • How far along are you?:  7wks tomorrow

How old are your other kids? :  
    DD1 will be 6 on the 31st, and DD2 will be 18m on the 29th 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now? :   DD1 is currently potty training DD2, wake me up when this one is ready to come out. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : The kids argue all day long , the baby wants to do EVERYTHING her sister does, and her sister doesn't want any stinkin' baby cooties. I am tired. 

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions: I am tired. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kalawakalawa member
    How far along are you? 
    7w5d (not official)
    7yo and will be 1yo on Saturday

Nap time=rest time for everyone, everyday. Which means my oldest has to come inside instead of playing with his friends. It makes me feel so guilty...but it's crucial to my survival right now.

I love how our youngest already idolizes our oldest.

I love the weather this summer here! Warm days and very cool nights. I don't like the extreme heat at all.
  • How far along are you? 
    6w 5d (dating u/s in 2 weeks)

DS will be 2 in august 
    DS will be going to a new daycare in sept. He's been at the one he's at now since birth, but he's graduating that place. Just slightly nervous about it
    At the dr.s office today with DS he saw a couple of babies, he was soooo obsessed, and actually said the word baby a couple of times. It was a really big deal as he isn't saying many words yet!! 
    It made my heart melt and was really excited that I'm gonna give him a sibling!
    still don't have any ms, while I'm loving it, it is a bit nerve wracking....

• How far along are you? 
    5w5d

Just wondering when to tell DS...the kid has the biggest mouth so once he knows we're pretty much done keeping it a secret.  But I want so badly to tell him!  I think he'll be really excited because he's all about babies right now!

DS pooped in the potty tonight!  This has been a real struggle for him.  (Long story short: been potty trained since Christmas but never really got the hang of going poop on the potty.). We've tried everything, so I'm really hoping that this is the light at the end of the tunnel and not another 1 step forward, 2 steps back situation.

I spend all day exhausted, but as soon as I get in bed I'm wide awake!  At least I have the internet to keep me occupied.
  • TennisLove30TennisLove30 member
    edited July 2017
    How far along are you?

I still don't know yet. I have my first ultrasound tomorrow.

2.5 years old 

I've been having some anxiety thinking about how my daughter will no longer have my full attention.

I know my daughter will be so happy when she realizes a real live baby will be living with us.

I'm over the nausea and exhaustion!
  • @joyjoyjoyjoyjoy: What are your thoughts on the age gap between your first two? My daughter will be a few weeks shy of 5 when this one is due. I always hoped to have kids closer in age but things didn't work out that way. But now I see there are some potential benefits to the gap. I'd love to hear your experience!

How far along are you? 6 weeks, 6 days
    Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  My daughter is pretty independent at this point and I hate to think of starting all over. I also feel like I don't remember anything about pregnancy/caring for a newborn!
    Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM:  We are also completing our family! We are definitely done after this one and I'm excited to have that missing piece with us.
    Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions: I can't wait to tell my daughter about the new baby! I'll be tempted to tell her next week, assuming all goes well at our Monday appointment, but think after my 12ish week appointment may be safer. Within the past week she started asking about death and saying she's scared to die. I don't know where it came from but makes me think I should wait longer in case this pregnancy does not end well.

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• How far along are you? 
    7w 6d

I'm really just concerned about adding another child to the mix, starting over, going through the first daycare winter (THE WORST), and dealing with my anxiety through it all
    DD loves playing "mommy" with her babies. Particularly one, who she calls "baby sister". We think she is starting to get this whole thing, which will be fun.
    I'm so anxious for our first appointment with the OB next week. I keep having these "twins" feelings and it's driving me crazy. Fingers crossed for ONE baby!
  • How far along are you? 7 weeks, 5 days

How old are your other kids? coming up on 15 months 

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  I totally lose mom of the year. I was sitting on the couch while DD played in the living room, and I totally fell asleep for 15 minutes! I was shocked. Fortunately, everything is gated and safe, but oops. The fatigue is so bad right now.

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions: Any other STM+ have a different excitement this time vs. the first time? Not that you aren't excited, but I remember every day, I'd look at my bump app and see what was happening. I checked it the other day, and it said my baby is the size of a blueberry. Baby #1, I was like oh so cool! Let me go get a blueberry out of the fridge. Wow! I can't believe that's in me. Baby #2, I'm like oh that's cool. How many more weeks until the second trimester when I will quit feeling like shit? I just remember it being so much about the journey, but this time around, I feel as if I'm putting on my game face to get through it.
  • @missnc77 My excitement is different this time around too. I am not sure if its because being so busy with my DS or just that there are a lot less of the "unknowns" but sometimes (rare occasions I am not starving, nausea or feeling cramps) I forget that I am actually pregnant.  DH even keeps asking...are we sure your pregnant?!  maybe its more we cant believe it happened so quick? or the guilt for my DS that I keep trying to play more with him now because I know soon it wont just be him and my attention will be split... its so hard and exciting at the same time.

How far along are you? 
    I am approx. 5w 4d (waiting for doc appointment for official EDD)

My DS is 23 months (2 on Sept 1st)

Currently, my DS sleeping is not that great at night and it is not helping this fatigue I have going on.  We have been on a couple vacations which I am HOPING is causing this...but because I am exhausted I have been bringing him into bed with us at night to sleep because he sleeps so much better (and so do I)... I love when he sleeps with us (I know some people don't believe I should do this but it works for us)....works for us at the moment...my worry is when the baby comes how is it going to work if he still wants to sleep with us...baby will be in our room in a bassinet or when I'm super prego and my belly wont fit him and me and my DH? We used to have this sleep at night thing down in our crib... this summer has created a mess lately and I'm TIRED.

I have started back up with my DVDs for First Trimester (thanks to a bunch of you ladies on here). This was just last night but it made me feel like at least I was making a little progress towards a healthy weight gain this pregnancy...just need to keep it up.

• How far along are you? 
    Between 8 and 9 weeks??

Almost 2

We are at the end of our visit with family so there's been lots of testing me and I know that I'm extra grumpy right thanks to this awful headache and being so tired all the time. Hopefully DS evens back out when we get home. 

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM:
    This LO is very much wanted and I'm looking forward to seeing DS as a big brother. And I'm looking forward to a squishy baby face again. 

I am sick of this headache. I don't have any essential oils to rub anywhere And Tylenol doesn't usually help plus they don't recommend it now. I'm currently letting DS watch all of the Mickey Mouse while I lay on an ice pack. 
  • day38day38 member
    How far along are you? 5-6 weeks (I need to get a dating ultrasound and have a real date).

DS is 2

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM or questions about things your children are going through now?  I'm exhausted and less patient than I should be with DS. And, he's starting daycare next week. We completely changed up his caregivers/routine this week and he is NOT having it. He's misbehaving with me but won't even tolerate my husband, so it's been a challenge. My husband is very involved/hands on with him, so it's not that he's used to me being the primary.

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM : I'm SO excited for DS to be a big brother. I was an only child, but my husband has an amazing relationship with his brother and I want that for DS.

Rants/Raves/Randoms/Questions I need to pee but the bathroom is really far from my office.

DS:
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @mdfarmchick Acetaminophen isn't recommended anymore?!  I know ibuprofen is a no go - what pain relievers are we supposed to use?  Mainly commiserating here, but seriously if anybody knows... (My first appointment isn't until 8/22 so I won't get an updated medication list until then, I only have the one I got from DD about a year and a half ago which I assumed would be the same...)