March 2018 Moms
Options

Second pregnancy - toddler at home

This is my second pregnancy. I currently have my son, will be 2 on Sept 1st. My questions are for those moms with a toddler at home currently pregnant with another or those moms who Have experience with this. With my first, I try to walk every day and get some sort of exercise and it was really able to focus on what I ate. I feel like now having my toddler at home, it is so hard before even being pregnant, to get exercise in at all. How do you ladies do it? How have you done it? I want to make sure I try to be as healthy as I was the first time around. 

And even in general-  how the heck do you do it with a toddler at home? I'm exhausted! 

Re: Second pregnancy - toddler at home

• Options
    I have a 12-month-old. I run with him in the BOB occasionally when I can't go by myself.  I take him for a lot of walks in the stroller. I get to the gym whenever my husband is home and I can scoot out of the house. Working out is high on the priority list for me so I make it happen no matter what.

• Options
    I am finding it so hard with working full time, my son going through a "I don't wanna sleep at night" phase right now, getting dinner on the table before bedtime after work. Then at that point in exhausted ha. Last pregnancy I was able to walk after work at least but now having the schedule we do it's hard to even get that in. It will be winter this time around so I want to start something now I know I can keep up throughout the winter as well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't know that! @heatherdubrow! Thank you' I'll check it out. 
  • Options
    @hollyk224 That's a great idea with the videos to get something in at least. 
  • Options
    This is my third pregnancy since having my DS *TW WARNING* My last two pregnancies ended in MC *End TW*

I get terrible morning sickness (knock on wood it hasn't started yet this pregnancy). My DS got used to mommy throwing up 4x a day around him. He would even come rub my back sometimes. He just turned 2 and I don't think he understands, and he certainly didn't the first time (right after his first birthday). 

He watches more TV when I'm pregnant and has more independent play. We try to go for walks whenever I'm feeling good. I've told DH that I'm going to take evening walks after DS goes to bed so that I get a longer walk in and I can get some mommy alone time. 

You do what you gotta do when youve you've got a toddler and you feel like crap. 
  • Options
    There is a thread started for questions for ttm+.

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12713183/question-for-ttm
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    Earlier this summer my daughter and I were on the go every single day. I was also getting about 15,000 steps a day. Since I found out I'm pregnant we pretty much do nothing. We went to the park today and I lasted 20 minutes before getting sick. My average steps have been like 5,000. It's so hard!

I'm actually looking forward to her going back to daycare next week when I go back to work so she can have time to run and play with her friends. 

We are going to the zoo with friends tomorrow so I'm hoping I can make it through. 
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM to a 14 month old and I cannot count on myself to workout during the day with him. Taking him to the gym daycare is always a hot mess and I don't have the energy to workout during naps when I need to be cleaning (or now also napping). I've started going at 5am, that way DH can "watch" him (LOL they are both sleeping) and I get home and showered before DS wakes up at 7. DH has dibs on working out after work until 6, and I hate working out late at night... so 5am it is. For the longest time I just gave up and wasn't doing anything, and then I read this quote... "We all get the same 24 hours"... and that's when I decided that I needed a longer day that starts earlier!
  • Options
    @kitandcat that is a great quote. Ya know, most mornings my DS wakes up at 4/4:30 ish and I end up rocking him back to sleep (I do still rock him ha it works for me).  I have thought about just staying up...but I could see myself crashing by 5pm before I even get home. Maybe I can try it for a week and see how I feel... 
  • Options
    Walking or doing Beachbody On demand
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @ABombard12 you should try it!! Try doing it everyday M-F or whatever your schedule is so you can do it several days in a row, and see what you think!! I definitely go to bed at 8:30 most nights, right after I put DS to bed :-) but when I take days off I make sure to make myself stay up late the night before and hang out with DH
  • Options
    @kitandcat as hard as it seems the thought of having some time when its just me up in the morning sounds kind of glorious! But yes, I am already ready for bed by 9pm most nights and now being pregnant I start to fade earlier haha I am going to try this next week or if I'm up tomorrow at 430am I will try just staying up... thank you! Just hearing it is possible and works helps!
  • Options
    I run with my DD in a jogger every morning and sometimes do weight excercises during her nap time she naps for a good 2 hours in afternoon. Sometimes I go to the gym if it's raining and hubby is home. My DD is 13 months.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    I'm not in great shape going into this pg unfortunately.ll it was a tough year. But I go take a class at the gym twice a week, and use the on site nursery which is excellent. 

In past pregnancies I was running already and kept it up going on days my husband was home, or taking the single or double bob. I had a super fit pregnancy with my 3rd. I didn't have nausea etc too bad so I could keep eating healthy without trouble (this time I'm eating what is palatable and that is that). I put a priority in fitness and carved the time out, it was my routine and schedule. It was often how my kids got naps lol. 

I think alit is contingent on how the beginning goes, bc sometime she it's just survival. Then it can be hard to get back into a healthy routine for second tri. If running etc is too hard, maybe get out n a walk, or use a backpack and go for a hike, etc. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @pghctwife I hear you on not starting this pregnancy off in the best shape.  My first pregnancy I was in great shape -- looking back to my picture when I first found out compared to now...now I look like I culd be a couple months in already... I am going to try the at home workouts -- I am crazy and hate to lose time away from my LO so I am going to try first thing in the mornings if I can. I do know this early we all need our sleep too.  Thank you for the encouragement! Sounds like your doing great with the classes too! You are also 100% correct on pure survival mode at this point.. nausea is killing me.
  • Options
    @ABombard12 yeah for one and two I was heavier than I would like but Norma, then after my second I did a great job and got to my adult ideal goal weight. I gained 40# (low for me) and looked great, felt great. It helped so much with the aches and pains. I started working on the weight, but then we were trying to sell our house which toko 9 loooong months. It was super stressful and I stress eat, and taking care of myself is the first to go. Then I had a loss, and after that I gained even more, I self medicate did with food. 

So then i started this pregnancy at basically heavier thani was before my third was born. Highest ever non pregnant (or newly pp) weight ever. Oh well. I'll have my work cut out for me next summer.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    I have a 2.5-year-old and I'm struggling, honestly. I've been feeling really dizzy all the time, so driving anywhere is usually out of the question. I try to nap if she naps.
  • Options
    I have a 2 year old and honestly we've been watching alot of the wiggles. I'm an afternoon exerciser but recently my daughter has been passing out at 2 in the afternoon and sleeping until 4/5 and it's too dark by the time that she wakes up to go for a walk. I'm starting to think a trip to the park might become our new normal. I'm really wanting to keep active this pregnancy and my little one loves walks.

i so done have any good tips. Other than look after yourself. Honestly I'm existing on strawberries and crackers.
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]

• Options
    I have a 6 year old and 18 month old, and honestly have no energy to do anything at this stage... Maybe once my older kid goes back to school I will get out more with the baby. I was dreaming about getting a double stroller and going for runs with the toddler and baby lol  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank goodness for quiet time.  DH has taken our daughter for their first daddy-daughter weekend fishing trip, leaving my tired ass to watch our two boys (ages 1 & 3).  We just returned from a 5k walk (on a hot enough day that I promptly regretted it, but mommy needed her Starbucks).  Now both boys are napping and I'm buck naked on my bed trying too cool down enough to sleep.  I hate being pregnant in summer.
    PgAL (MC@7w 29/10/11 - lost you before we knew we had you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @pettycrocker best name ever!  And running?  I bow to you.
  • Options
    slr1229slr1229 member
    edited July 2017
    I live in Houston so doing anything after 10 and before 6 is impossible right now so I work out at the Y at 5:15 in the morning, twice a week I do their weight lifting class and on the other I do cardio.  I give myself weekends off now.  Otherwise, once it gets cooler I plan to go walking after work.
  • Options
    Just hearing that others are just making it work..(sometimes barely) is a lot of help and encouragement.  Also you moms with more than 2..your my heros! Keep up the awesome work and being an inspiration ha  I am currently barely hanging on...my guilt has set in for not having the energy to do a lot with my little man but I also know I need to help take care of myself for the newest addition and him... hopefully once we get two the next trimester it will bet better...a little easier?
  • Options
    I just got sick this week, and my 23- month-old is sick too! Very tired and stir crazy. Thankfully, a water-filled squirt bottle is keeping her occupied outside for the time being :):) 
  • Options
    day38day38 member
    I found a fitness studio that does virtual classes - which is basically working out through a teleconference. It works really well for me because they have 6:15 am classes, and then evening ones (like 7:30 or 8, depending on the day). They also have some weekend not so early morning classes. I've had a few classes where I did it "with" my two year old and he gets a kick out of it for a while, but then I need to set him up with an activity. Otherwise, with the morning ones I'll do it when it's my husband's turn to get up and the evening ones I do after I get my son in bed (8 works for that). I don't need to rely on anyone else for babysitting so I can work out and the classes are fun.

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have a very clingy 23 month old at home who still nurses to sleep. I don't plan on tandem nursing so I know I have to wean him but the thought of weaning him before he's ready kills me  :(
  • Options
    I have a very clingy 23 month old at home who still nurses to sleep. I don't plan on tandem nursing so I know I have to wean him but the thought of weaning him before he's ready kills me  :(
    I'm with you, but with my 27 month old. It's so time, but she's so attached. With the constant nausea and the fatigue, im really struggling. 
  • Options
    @jessbruxanovaa & @isntthatspeshul

I found between my 1st & 2nd, weaning wasn't really an option.  My milk dried up early in 2nd tri.  Dry nursing HURT, and so was a torture I wasn't willing to put myself through because I also wasn't interested in tandem nursing.

It was sad to wean my "babies", but as soon as the new baby arrived and my others suddenly seemed so big and old, I got over it (they were already over it... within a week).
  • Options
    @jessbruxanovaa @isntthatspeshul @lifeisbetteronthered I am in the same boat! My DS is still nursing first thing in the morning and to sleep at night.  He is addicted on weekends too ha I have been trying to limit the during the day sessions on the weekends because I know when the baby comes he cant be really doing that either.  It does make me so sad as well...he goes NUTS sometimes when I tell him he has to wait. I am hoping that you are right, that they will suddenly be over it and too busy by the time the baby comes... or you may end up seeing me in a chat about tandem nursing....something I haven't been interested in but also have no clue right now how to avoid bc I'm chicken about weaning him...always said I wanted to let him wean himself...but with this kid not sure that will ever happen ha
  • Options
    All you mammas making time to exercise is impressive! 
    I lost a lot of weight before baby #1, gained most of it back while nursing, and haven't been able to get myself under control since then. I really have a lot to learn from you all!