August 2017 Moms

Weekly Appointments 7/24

Any appointments this week? Feel free to post pediatrician updates for your babe here too! 
The first day May 2007 <3  The yes day April 2012 <3 The best day Nov 2013

Re: Weekly Appointments 7/24

• I had my 37 week checkup today, and all went well.  I'm still 2cm dilated and 70% effaced (same as last week), but the baby has dropped down to a -1 station.  I never made it to my 38 week appt with DS, so I'm curious to see if this was my last appt, or if I'll make it to my next one next Monday! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have one Friday! Nervous to see if I have made anymore progress and if I will be put on bed rest soon. Just want little guy to stay put for a couple more weeks at least. My other two babies were born at 38 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if this one comes at 36 or 37. At least I feel like he is going to be here soon. My swollen  body does too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Had a low key appointment as usual today. My midwife hasn't done any cervical checks, just the usual weight, blood pressure, fundal height, and heartbeat. Baby was moving around a lot so it took a minute to get a good heartbeat reading. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • OB appt Thursday :). Nothing too crazy; strep swab and that's probably all.
  • Had a regular checkup this morning and I finally remembered to get a prescription for a pump.   Everything looked good and the baby started moving around as soon as the APRN used the Doppler.  I have the group B strep swab next week, but she said I don't need to have cervical checks if I don't want because I'm having a c-section.  I'll probably have one next week just to see if anything is happening even though I know it isn't much of an indication of anything and then maybe decline others.  I can't believe I only have 3 more appointments at most until delivery.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • NxyNxy member
    Had one today. Good. Gravy.
    For 2 months now basically the only thing my doctor has told me about this baby is that he's going to be big. That's it.
    Today my appointment was yea he's big come back next week so we can talk about inducing or a c-section.
    Um no. Ultrasound are notoriously wrong at guessing baby weight and I'm not being induced because baby *might* be large.. 
    We went to monitoring before the appointment for 30 minutes doc didn't like how it looked and so we had to go back after. So between doc running behind and the monitoring and going to the lab my appointment was FOUR freaking hours today. Really not looking forward to my next appointment.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Nxy Im sorry your appointment was so crazy!  Ive been pushing back on induction for the same exact reason.  They keep telling me hes in the 80-85% and could be almost 10 pounds by birth, but then they also keep telling me how notoriously wrong they can be.  I even asked the OB if there was any chance that the wrong could be in the other direction, meaning bigger, and she said no.  So im refusing induction unless there is something else wrong.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • 38 week appt on Friday, last one before my RCS the following Friday. Imagine it will be the same as normal- blood pressure, how you feeling, fundal and heartbeat. It will be with the OB assisting in my RCS because my normal OB is out of town this week. Will be nice to meet her before the OR. 
  • Had an appt today, got the Group B swab and my TDAP. I could've sworn he was still sideways but she did an ultrasound and he is head down and what I feel must be his back and butt!

Was so glad he is head down that I forgot to ask her how big she thought he was! Kicking myself now for not asking and there are no other planned ultrasounds. I wondering if they can tell by feeling next week?

I told her I lost my mucus plug and she didn't say anything so I am not going to worry about it (no contractions or anything). Planning to go swimming this weekend and meant to ask if that was OK but she seemed very unconcerned so I'll stop worrying about it!
  • @Nxy I feel like that's such a tough situation. We want to trust our doctors but you hear so many stories of the predictions being wrong. With DS he always measured on track, but I had a c section since he was breech. Had him at 39+2 and he was 22 1/4 inches long. They were shocked.  My SIL just had a c section last week at 39 because they thought her baby was large and her hips turn in due to scoliosis. He was 8 lbs 4 oz which is decent size, but not what they anticipated. The doctor said she thinks it was still for the best because the shape of her hips and cervix was not vaginal birth friendly.  He measured big the whole time and her husband was a 10 pounder so she went with the c section. 

I also had a friend that wound up in an emergency c section when her baby got stuck after 3 hours of pushing. My friend has the epitome of child birthing hips and baby was 7 pounds even. 

I think I'd be super annoyed that they just now think it's a problem. Also, you had your first successfully via vaginal birth so I think they should at least let you try.  

It really makes me sad when some doctors push unnecessary interventions and it makes them all look unnecessary. 

@bumpybump  yay for good blood pressure 

• @nxy @Littlebug2010 My dr has discussed those as well b/c we are measuring big.   Doesn't sound like she has been as pushy as yours and has left vaginal delivery and full term on the table, but baby size and expectations have been discussed. 

She actually was the one who said she thought the US was big for what she really is. But, I have a heart condition that shouldn't impact much but she said that is why in combination with babies size she won't let me go too far past and would push a c-section sooner than normal. We will be 39weeks on Friday and I have an apt tomorrow so we will see if that changes anything.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Thanks for taking over this week. I've delivered already, but I've had several appointments due to issues after delivery. Got high blood pressure after delivery, so have been watched closely to make sure bp medicine is doing what it should and to hopefully eventually cut down on medicine.
    Also had a epidural during labor and developed a spinal headache from that. Was terrible for 11 days where I was practically in bed nonstop and had to have a blood patch yesterday to fix it, but am feeling so much better.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Had my 38 week appointment today. Baby has dropped but I'm not dilated at all. Have gained 50 lbs total which is really freaking me out. I'm a relatively small person normally. 5'5'' 120 to 125 lbs. And now at 173 lbs my body isn't handling it very well. And my baby is measuring large too, also scary. But I keep hearing the same thing that weight estimates are often very wrong so that gives me some comfort.
  • AB518AB518 member
    I had my 39 week appointment today, and after a long discussion, I decided to schedule an induction for this coming Sunday.  Baby will be here in less than a week!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just have NSTs this week.  Was supposed to have another growth scan this weekend/early next week, but never got a call from scheduling so I called this morning and my OB never submitted the order.  She is out of town until next week, because why not? 
  • mrsvp614mrsvp614 member
    edited July 2017
    I will have my 35 week appt Friday. We'll do the GBS swab.
    My doctor says she typically starts doing cervix checks at 36 weeks. Has anyone refused or delayed these? I know it's an option, but I have a hard time advocating for myself. I have a big event the day after my 36 week appt. I don't want to feel any discomfort from a cervical check and I don't really want to know my alleged 'progress' yet. I just need to get past this event, and I'll feel much more comfortable with getting checked or potentially going into labor.

Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Tomorrow is my last appointment before my RCS in exactly a week! I can't believe it's so close! Last week I was 1.5cm, 90% effaced, and baby was at -2 position. They keep telling me how low she is and it makes me wonder if I actually would be able to have a VBAC. The docs didn't recommend me as a good candidate for one so I will likely stick to the RCS. But with DD, she never dropped even after I was stuck at 9cm for 7 hours so the fact that this baby is progressing so much differently means I can't help but wonder.
  •  @mrsvp614 I declined a check at my 36 week appointment and am totally regretting it now. I was checked at 34 weeks (a few days after my BH got painful) and baby was "right there" but cervix was still long and closed. I was all zen at my Monday appointment that baby would def wait for full term and cervix checks do nothing but mess with your expectations, but after a good few hours of regular painful BH yesterday my curiosity grew exponentially. I guess it's good I only have to wait a few more days for my next appointment!

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• @MrsVP614 you can certainly decline the cervical check. With DD I never progressed past fingertip before being induced. With this one I have dilated some but am now "stalled" at almost 39 weeks. Cervical checks can get hopes up or down and truly don't mean a whole lot until you're actually in labor. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Kathryn0903 - T&P that things keep progressing towards wellness. I'm sorry you've had to deal with those PP issues :(. Good thing you have an adorable baby to keep you company!
  • I'm certain the rest of my MP came out last night. Having a shooting pain in my groin and vagina when I step. This Costco trip should be interesting 
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Had my 34 week check up today. Heart rate, fundal height, and my BP were all good. Trace protein in my urine sample, but she was ok with it since my BP was normal. 

Another checkup in 2 weeks, then I start seeing her weekly. I have a growth u/s scheduled for 37 weeks. I don't normally have one this late in the game, but I think it's because next week I'll officially be of AMA, so it's probably standard for higher risk patients. 

@aehogan90 The vajayjay pain is real! Good luck at Costco. ;) 
  • @PinkPrincessPiper oh it's the worst. My mom is going with me to manage DD and push the cart. Just need to stock up on essentials before baby. I could send DH to Costco, but I'd rather actually get the things we need and not 12 boxes of cereal.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Kathryn0903 I hope you feel better soon! 

I have an appointment at 1:15 today. 37+5. Only one more after today. Trying to decide whether or not to get checked.

@aehogan90 I woke up this morning with you on my mind and a feeling it's going to be soon for you!
  • Here's one good reason this BMB is so helpful, especially with the STM+ experiences. I just came from my weekly appointment (39 weeks tomorrow) and was given the option to decline the cervical check, and I did. Learning from you all I realized the discomfort involved was pretty pointless. Why get my hopes up, or conversely, feel discouraged? 

The doctor did say that if I come in next week for my due date they'll check then, because it'll effect how they plan an induction. He said they'll reserve a spot at the hospital for induction for my 41 week date in case the baby doesn't come on her own, and checking the cervix at 40 weeks would help determine if they should schedule it any sooner. 

So... just waiting. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • AB518AB518 member
    @MrsVP614  My doctor told me that it was fine if I wanted to skip the cervical check at any of my appointments within the last month.  I chose to skip 2 out of the 4 checks.  Yesterday at my 39 week appointment, he recommended that I have the cervical check done, so I agreed to do the cervical check.  The cervical checks were definitely uncomfortable for me, and I was sore afterwards, but I have been sore down there for most of third trimester, so it really didn't bother me too much.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I hope you feel better soon! 

I have an appointment at 1:15 today. 37+5. Only one more after today. Trying to decide whether or not to get checked.

@aehogan90 I woke up this morning with you on my mind and a feeling it's going to be soon for you!
    Thanks for thinking of me! I have a feeling that it's happening soon but I'm trying not to be anxious, in case it's still several weeks. Still holding out for DHs birthday tomorrow! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Just had my apt (Ill be 39wks on fri) baby is a little lower but not much and not even a fingertip dialated. Dr said she expects to see me at my apt next week, but reminded me things change quick! 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • NxyNxy member
    I wasn't expecting my doctor to be so pushy about induction or c-section. All you hear from all these natural birth people is how the US has an issue with pushing people into these procedures and how laid back Europe is and blah blah yet here we are. I told him they thought DD was big but she came out 7lbs 10oz and 19 inches long naturally, a week late. She was like the definition of average size. He didn't care he was like well Germans don't make that kind if mistake.. He couldn't believe they let me go past my due date thinking she was big. 
    @SouthernMama15 my doc basically said it's not possible to have a 10lb baby naturally. Totally side-eying the glowing recommendations from everyone about this doc now..
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    Had my 35 week appointment today at 35w5d. Baby is -2 station (OB was touching her head during the check) and 2 cm dilated. She did say my cervix is still long...thank god. Kinda nervous because she thinks I'll deliver by the end of next week. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• @Nxy sounds like a true German "Germans don't make that kind of mistake" whatever!

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• @Nxy what an arrogant SOB.  
  • edited July 2017
    I have my 39 week appt tomorrow with the office NP as my OB is on vacation. Not sure if she's gonna check me but 37+38 I was only 1 cm :/ getting an ultrasound too, so hope everything still looks good. 
  • I have my 39 week appt on Friday. I'm not expecting anything unusual. He may or may not do a cervical check and as long as everything is fine, we will schedule for my due date. My doctor is not a fan of inductions without medical necessity including size. My baby was measuring 8 lb 4 oz at my 36 week check but he doesn't seem terribly concerned. 

I'm just impatiently wait for my boy!! 
  • tova24tova24 member
    Just had my 38 week appointment. Man was my OB's office hopping! I took a 45 minute nap before I saw seen (was mad when he finally came in and woke me up because I needed that sleep!). My first cervical check was so painful! I'm only 1 cm dilated. Landon is taking his sweet time! Knowing my luck, he'll come at 41 weeks!
  • @MrsVP614  My doctors office does not start cervical checks until after 38 weeks so I think you are well within your rights to ask to delay at least the 36 week one.

BabyFruit Ticker