Baby Names

Lena??

My husband's great grandma "Lena" recently passed away and he would love to use her name when naming our next child (if it's a girl). I'm not sure how I feel about it as a first name, but I'm not finding many names that sound good with it as a middle name. Any suggestions?!?

Re: Lena??

• Are you open to using similar names? My DD is Alena. If you do go with Lena as a first or middle name, I would suggest pairing it with a longer name. 
  • Could also do Magdalena, Elena, etc...
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry for your loss.

I like Lena most with a longer middle name, such as:
    Lena Olivia
    Lena Ophelia
    Lena Susannah
    Lena Josephine
    Lena Vivienne
    Lena Bernadette

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I do personally prefer something like Elena to just Lena. Don't feel pressured to use it if you don't love it. Did she have a middle name that's maybe A better option. 

• mb0112mb0112 member
    I like PP suggestion of Magdalena nn Lena.  Or Helena.

or you mentioned using Lena as the middle -- that's a good idea.  You said you had trouble finding first names that go with it but can you give some names you had in mind for first names? Maybe they flow just fine (flow isn't super important when you are using a family name) or maybe we can suggest others in your style. Off the top of my head I think these names flow nicwly

Genevieve Lena
    Penelope Lena
    Vivienne Lena
    Therese Lena
    Eloise Lena
    Grace Lena

• If he's okay with using an elaborated form of Lena, other names you could use are Olena and Selena.

Here are some more first name options:

Aubrey Lena
    Briar Lena
    Calla Lena
    Cadence Lena
    Catherine Lena
    Emma Lena
    Gwenda Lena
    Kate Lena 
    Maris Lena
    Sophie Lena 
    Stella Lena
    Vivienne Lena
  • I like Lena a lot!! But if you don't love if, don't use it! 
  • Calla is actually on our short list of names! Thanks for your suggestions!!!
  • JuliaDeeSJuliaDeeS member
    edited July 2017
    @FelicitousJinx I love the idea of using it as a middle name but do have some trouble with the flow. Calla is actually on our short list of names. But Calla Lena reminds me of Catalina (like the salad dressing)! Lol. 

Big sister is Ivy Grace. Other names we like include Nora, Eva, Camilla, Ida. 
  • I can see where you'd make that association. Do you think you would like the flow of Lena with other names better if you pronounced it Lehna instead of Leena?
  • @FelicitousJinx I find that it flows too well with first names. It almost sounds like I just add another syllable onto the first name! Does that make sense? 

I like the Lehna alternative! I've never heard that before! Not sure how my hubby will like it, but worth a try!
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    For what it's worth, you might not care much about flow at all once the baby is born and the name is first announced.  Unless you plan on using it out loud a lot e.g. "Nora Lena, go to your room!" You might kind of forget about the middle name most of the time.  It's  nice to honor a relative with the middle name but don't choose a first name that you don't really love just for the sake of flow.
  • @mb0112 that's a really good point! Thanks!!
  • Thoughts on Lenora? It kinda ties back to Lena, but we could call her Nora which I love!!?
  • Lena makes me think of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books that I read when I was younger. And I always loved the name. It's unique and pretty! 
  • Lenora nn Nora is a nice way to incorporate Lena while having her go by a name you love.
  • I love Lena
  • What about Helena? That's on our list of baby names as my great grandmother's name was Helen.
    Pregnancy Ticker