September 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 7/10

Re: Weekly Randoms 7/10

• I like a backpack style better than a regular diaper bag but the one I have is insulated too so it can also serve to carry bottles. If you are only putting diapers in it I don't see any reason not to use a regular back pack.... unless you want to use the backpack for non-baby purposes in the further and don't want it to have baby-stank!
  • My diaper bag is a backpack style with a million pockets and compartments. I love it! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @jena333-2 we were appalled at the prices of diaper bags when we looked at Buy Buy Baby, where we first registered. We found a $30 diaper bag on Amazon that we think will work just fine, and we may switch to a backpack if we don't like the diaper bag. We use backpacks for ourselves all the time, so we want to try something that will obviously and distinctly be specific to baby's things.

I think this is one of those items that we don't REALLY need because there are other items we already own that can serve the same purpose... one of those things that companies market to pregnant women and moms to convince us we DO need it so they can make $$.
  • edited July 2017
    Deleted just in case.
  • divinemsm620divinemsm620 member
    edited July 2017
  • @heatherlynn321 That makes literally no sense. For real, who makes these decisions? There are all sorts of asinine stories about decisions that were clearly made by administrators who have never set a foot inside a classroom their entire lives.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • edited July 2017
    I have anxiety if you can't tell.
  • @heatherlynn321, That is incredibly frustrating! I had a similar experience my first year teaching. I was offered a  job to teach 11th and 12th grade English , and I planned accordingly over the summer. Two weeks before school started I found out that I would be teaching 8th and 12th grade English as well as an ESL class that had no course materials. I can't imagine who I would feel if this happened while pregnant and planning to take maternity leave. Does your co-teacher have lesson plans and materials developed? 
  • @jena333-2 We have two diaper bags.  One is a smaller, actual diaper bag for stuff like day trips and doing errands.  The other one is a book bag (an older version of this one) that has two separate compartments.  I love it for longer trips, like day trips that are further from home and for weekends.  The bigger one is annoying if you're just going to the grocery store, etc.  And you'll find that eventually, especially for trips like going to Target, you just need to stick a pack of wipes and a diaper in your purse, rather than lug the whole thing in.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • edited July 2017
    I have a meeting tomorrow, so hopefully some of this will get resolved. 
  • On the topic of diaper bags...we have a traditional diaper bag that I love (it was a gift) but DH has a small backpack he used as well. We got a smaller thing that held a couple diapers, cream, and wipes and unfolded into a change pad. We kept it in the stroller at all times and it was so convenient when we went for a walk or were just going around the mall or whatever and didn't want to lug the full thing around. It's similar to this one and I highly recommend it: https://m.bedbathandbeyond.ca/m/product/skip-hop-reg-pronto-changing-station-in-grey-chevron/1041506080?skuId=41506080&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand__&adpos=1o7&creative=40288550490&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=41506080CA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhrzLBRC3ARIsAPmhsnXFIwBFAHVEF_6F0Rws0vgtOyeEN85jFQEg328CigXHBgR_MtuIGfsaAuAkEALw_wcB 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Okay, I needed to vent, now I'm going to go back and delete everything, just in case somehow someone at work discovers it. 

If you replied to me, and my messages got copied into your response and you want to delete them too, that'd be cool.
  • @heatherlynn321 ESL kids and SPED kids totally have the same needs. Just use the same lesson plans. It's fine. Besides, teachers spend all of their time off doing nothing at all so they don't really need to communicate anything to you until you start back. Didn't you know that?

When they told you all that, were you like 

**TW**
    Married 2013

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @wannabeamongoose That's the best gif for this entire situation.
  • ColoradoHikerColoradoHiker member
    edited July 2017
    @heatherlynn321 What is the school's response to (what I'm guessing) is every single teacher's thoughts on this?  What do they say when you ask how you're supposed to safely lock up what I'm assuming must have cost them a bazillion dollars (like student laptops <-- Maybe I'm old, but didn't know this was a thing in middle school)?

ETA- Also, what was the reasoning for getting rid of all furniture?  I'm seriously confused by this.

• Went for my 32w growth scan this week and was shocked to be told baby is measuring in the 97th percentile, eeeeek! My DS1 was born a pretty average 7.5 lbs. This DS2 is already measuring 5.5 lbs and have 8 more weeks of cooking to go. I know these ultrasound weights are pretty rough estimates but still pretty unnerving. 
  • @ColoradoHiker I have a meeting tomorrow to ask my 27 questions, hopefully some get answered. 
  • @SquattingGryphon You're not alone.  I went for my 32w today also, and they said DS is measuring at 35.5w for his head and abdomen, around 5lb4oz.  DS1 was 6lb 12 oz.  

However, as you pointed out, the estimates at this point are not very accurate, at all.  I'm trying to keep that in mind and not freak out.  Did they schedule you for a follow up u/s?  Mine did, mostly because the head size was so big compared to what it "should be".  They were very careful to mention (repeatedly) that everything looked perfect, though.

• @ColoradoHiker, i'm also supposed to go back around 36w for a repeat ultrasound. They didn't say anything about head size to me and like you, was repeatedly told that all my other numbers were optimal. But i think at the time, i got too stuck on hearing the "97th percentile" part, I was too distracted to listen to the rest of the convo.
  • @SquattingGryphon Yeah, I was trying to repeat what the doctor said to myself, just so I didn't get stuck on how much bigger the measurements were.  Anatomically, though, he said there was nothing to indicate any problems at all, he's just big at the moment.  I'm guessing the numbers will probably even out by our next appointments, though.

• Just a rant..

My nook tablet screen shattered when my pregnancy fumble fingers dropped it face down on tile floor :(:( it is my life.. I read and do all my work stuff on it... so I got an estimate on replacing the screen.. $270!!!! :( 

That same day our crib finally got delivered a month after our dresser due to back order. We opened up the crib, and it appears slightly more yellow than the dresser! And now I'm going back and forth like is it really different? Am I crazy? They are delivering a replacement next week but still... it'd be easier to just set it up and it be perfectly matched instead of getting another that might be the same exact color as the first crib? I'm worried about paint dye lots, mixed at different times.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Had the meeting, nothing resolved, looks like I'm using zip ties on milk crates to create my own furniture this year.
  • @Sugargirl1019 Oh no! That would bother me too! If it makes you feel better though, they look the same color to me.
  • @Sugargirl1019 Pottery Barn did this to me with my DS's crib, night stand and dresser.  None of them came close to matching in wood stains.  It still drives me nuts so if you notice it I would definitely return.
  • Had the meeting, nothing resolved, looks like I'm using zip ties on milk crates to create my own furniture this year.
    I think you should just pile things around the room. Make it look like a real hoard. Maybe that will get your point across?

**TW**
    Married 2013

• My immediate boss has already offered us storage space on her bookshelf and filing cabinets, she was real nice about it, but it sounds like her hands are completely tied. They want us to put everything else in a communal storage closet, but these are supplies I bought with my own money and I don't want other teachers to steal them. I'm sneaking in a small cabinet to go behind my "desk".
  • @wannabeamongoose My husband told me to do that, but put caution tape all around it for meet the teacher to see if that makes a point, but I'm just too type A for that. I work really hard every year to make my room look like a warm inviting organized space, I go in 2 days early to set everything up before preplanning and new teachers are usually sent to see my room as an example. I put a lot of pride in my room, which is what is so discouraging about all of this.
  • Sadly, I need new shoes. :'( Also, NEW SHOES!  ;)
  • What is everyone planning to wear at the hospital for labor/giving birth? Hospital gown? Your own clothes and if so what? Because I'm going to be induced, I know it could take awhile and I'm not a fan of hospital gowns so I don't see myself wanting to hang out in one for 24-48 hrs while I'm waiting for baby to come and walking the halls of the L&D unit. I'm thinking maybe comfy shorts and a tank top? 
  • @Rhubarb7216 I'm goofy and got one of those cute print gowns that have all the necessary functions of a hospital gown. Keep in mind you'll be hooked up to IVs and they will cut your clothes off and bra in case of an emergency. They won't undo the IV. Also FTM but shorts don't sound good to me. Won't they be checking you and you don't want to be pulling off shorts when you're exhausted?

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @Sugargirl1019 definitely all good points. I'm thinking I may want my own clothes for early part of induction and then when labor is actually starting and they are checking me frequently, I could switch into hospital gown. It's likely the first several hours are just going to be doses of cytotec with checks every 4 hours, so wouldn't be a big deal to have to undress for them to check me when they're that far apart. I'm hoping to be able to get wireless monitors (my hospital has some but you have to request them because they only have a few sets) so that I don't have to be stuck in the bed attached to wires for the many hours the induction could take. My OB also said if everything is looking ok they won't make me have the monitors on the whole time. Once I start pitocin I'll be more restricted with the IV hooked up, but hopefully before that I can still be fairly mobile!

Funny story: my husband and I were watching a video of a birth and the woman wore a red silk robe and lacy black bra. We were like "really?"
  • What is everyone planning to wear at the hospital for labor/giving birth? Hospital gown? Your own clothes and if so what? Because I'm going to be induced, I know it could take awhile and I'm not a fan of hospital gowns so I don't see myself wanting to hang out in one for 24-48 hrs while I'm waiting for baby to come and walking the halls of the L&D unit. I'm thinking maybe comfy shorts and a tank top? 
    You should check with your hospital to make sure they allow you to bring your own gowns. The L&D ward at our hospital requires you to wear their gowns. 
  • @JNR6510 they told us at our childbirth class (at our hospital) that you can wear whatever you want, so we should be all set!
  • My only advice is no shorts. You are going to be looked at down there a million times over a couple days and the last thing you want to do when you are in pain is wiggle out of shorts and change. Some hospitals require you to wear their gown and some dont so I would ask. Just remember whatever you wear will probably be stained or ruined. I am having a csection so obviously I have to wear their gown. But I am planning to wear nursing night gowns and a robe until I can leave.

• My hospital required their own gowns and nothing else. However, they gave me two so I could wear one backwards while walking around and not have anything exposed.  Everyone is checking you frequently so it really is easier to just wear the gown(s).
  • I plan on wearing the hospital gown most of the time, but I bought a cute nursing robe for when the photographer comes to the hospital to take pictures after the baby is born.
    I was induced with my first and from induction to baby it was less than 10 hours (no pitocin either and walked in there a 0). I wore a hospital gown. I was not up and walking around because I was attached to fetal monitoring, an IV and antibiotics. I was also induced at around 10pm so I was trying to get some rest. I did end up getting an epidural so that prevented me from moving around.
     If you don't care to pay whatever for a gown and then throw it away then get one, but no one is going to care what you are wearing. I also would not wear shorts (nor do I think they would let you). 
  • Definitely the hospital gown. I am always over heated while in labor and the gowns are nice for that. Also, I'm giving birth, just like every other mother on that floor so I could care less what I'm wearing. My labors have also been very fast so no time for worring about changing.