Baby Names
Options

Baby boy name when husband is Tim

laurabroderlaurabroder member
edited July 2017 in Baby Names
Second baby. Older son is Charlie. Husband is Tim. We're stuck between Thomas and James, but I'm worried Tom and Jim are too close to Tim. Am I worried about nothing? (My husband thinks so)

Baby boy name when husband is Tim 36 votes

Thomas (Tom, Tommy)
38% 14 votes
James (Jim, Jimmy)
50% 18 votes
Neither
11% 4 votes

Re: Baby boy name when husband is Tim

• Options
    I don't think Tom would be confused with Tim very easily. You might run into that some with Jim, though, but just calling your son by the full name of James or using Jimmy avoids that completely. Or you could even call James Jay in recognition of the one letter difference between Jim and Tim. 

On the devil's advocate side of things, I have neighbors who have a Bill, Billy, and Billy Bob and they manage to function still. If they can do it, I'm sure you guys could find a way to cope with a Jim and a Tim. 
  • Options
    I grew up with a friend whose dad was Jim and her brother was Tim actually. I never thought it was weird and it was never confusing. Plus it want like we called Jim by his name he was always Me. Last name or Dad/Papa last name. Tom is even less an issue imo

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Way too matchy!
  • Options
    I voted for James because in addition to Jimmy, he could prefer Jamie or James to further distinguish himself from his father.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I like Thomas and James but don't shorten it to Tim or Jim!
  • Options
    I like both names. I think the nicknames could get a little confusing, but I wouldn't side eye it. I also like nickname of Jamie for James or just calling him James...
  • Options
    I like Thomas and James but don't shorten it to Tim or Jim!
    This- my nephew is Thomas Joseph and we all assumed he would go be Tommy or TJ. Nope. He only goes by Thomas.

I also MUCH prefer James or the nn Jaime to Jim or Jimmy.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    My husbands name and my sons name rhyme. The first time I said it while pregnant I almost decided it to use it but I'm so glad I did. I wouldn't worry about it. In your case nicknames rhyme. My husband and son have rhyming full names and it's a non issue. 

• Siggy Warning: Loss, Living Child, Pregnancy mentioned
    • TTC Since August 2009
    • IUI #1, D/C December 2012
    • IUI #2, Natural MC March 2013
    • IUI #3 BFN
    • IUI #4 BFP Due April 2014
    • Rainbow Baby DS1 born April 2014 via emergency C-Section
    • IUI #5 February 1, 2017.....BFP due 10/25/17 with TWINS! --9w5d vanishing twin. 
    • Diagnosis: PCOS, Factor V Leiden Syndrome

• Options
    Thomas and James are amazing names.  I'd use one and not give a nickname at all.

• Options
    Tom is way better than Jim, but why shorten? 
  • Options
    I would just avoid the nicknames altogether. James or Thomas don't need a nickname, and the full names are better than the nn possibilities to me. I can't picture a child called Jim these days. I voted James, but either is fine.