Baby Names

Is Wilder a good name?

jcarr22jcarr22 member
edited July 2017 in Baby Names
Is Wilder a real name, for a boy? 3rd child and we seem to be in a rut. Want a somewhat unique name but nothing over the top.

Siblings are Halle and Hunter.

Re: Is Wilder a good name?

• Honestly, a lot of the newer more trendy names bother me, but I like Wilder. It feels classic even though it's new. I also think it goes well with your sib set.
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • To me, it's aweful, definately NMS. I like your other two. With Wilder and Hunter - I may be way off base here, but I kind of see a nature/hunting "theme" wild, hunt just adding -er.  also, not a fan of two kids with the -er ending.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with pebbledam that Wilder sounds older than it is as a first name, probably because it was a surname first. Given that, I think it definitely is as real a name as any other surname currently being used as a first name in one of the current trends or any of the older patronymically derived names like Brennan, Cassidy, or Cody. 

I also agree with 3rescuepups that it gives the sib set a strong nature/hunting vibe, but I personally don't see anything wrong with that. If you love it, use it. If not, consider some of the following, too: 

Cedric
    Hawthorne
    Jasper
    Leif
    Mack
    Magnus
    Otto
  • Honestly I am so over Wilder. It's trend city. The last two years I just keep hearing as a middle name for everyone it seems. As a first name it broke the top 1000 in 2015 then jumped a couple hundred in 16 and I expect it to continue. I gives me a trying to be cool vibe 

• We have been tossing it around as a middle name if this baby is a boy, but I'm on the fence about it. I really like it but think it's a little "out there" for our taste.
    Married 6/2013, TTC 9/2013.
    ***TW***
    MC 12/2013, Blighted Ovum 04/2014, CP 06/2014
    Began RPL testing 07/2014
    BFP #4 10/26/2014; Theo born 07/2015
    BFP #5 06/17/2017, EDD 02/28/18

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't care for it as a given. I agree with bbuiutmcph that it's a "trying to be cool" name. And honestly I don't think it really fits with your sibset. Hunter has been around, though on an upward trend currently, and Halle also feels much more classic than Wilder.

I like PPs suggestion of Cedric and Jasper

Alton
    Caleb
    Roland
    Ivan
    Lawrence
    Garnet

• It's 100% surname for me.  And I agree with PP that it's trying too hard to be cool and that it fits oddly with Hunter in a sibset.

• jcarr22jcarr22 member
    edited July 2017
    Thank you. I think I'm at best 50/50 on it. We do already have two H names, so a third is something that is on th table. Can't be Hudson or Harper as we have those in our friend/family groups. 

In the unique, but not too far out there... 

Hayden (boy and girl, but more feminine?)
    Hayes
    Hawthorne (just saw this name - nickname Thorn. Kind of like it... for the next 5 minutes perhaps).

Other names we like...

Sawyer
    Colton

Reese (if girl)
    Hayden (if girl)
  • I prefer Hayden on a boy but it's honestly pretty overdone.

im not a fan of the new trend with Hayes as a FN. I just hear it as Haze. Which reminds me of Hazing or almost hippie sounding like purple haze 

HAwthorne is a big name IMO

Sawyer and Colton are fine but not in any way unique 

suggesting:

Wesley
    Mitchell
    Trent
    Vaughn
    Conrad
    Donovan
    Silas
    Garrett
    Holden

• Is a big name good, or bad? Ha.
  • It's very NMS, and I definitely would avoid it with sibling Hunter. Jasper is a great suggestion. If you want to stay with H names: 

Heath
    Harlan
    Henry
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I don't dislike it but I don't prefer it with your sibling names and I usually only prefer last names like that if it's a strong family name. I would go with another H!
  • Do you have a middle name picked already? I like pp suggestions of Holden (on my list, family name) and henry,paired with wilder (Holden wilder blank, Henry wilder blank) 
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • We have a Holden across the street. Henry is maybe too common? I actually like Jasper but that got shot down early. 

Really like Huck... but yeah it rhymes with something....
  • I have never met a Wilder and I think this sounds like a really nice name.
  • Thanks! Still so uncertain.
  • I actually really like Wilder, I think it does go well with your other children. Congrats Btw! :) 
  • MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    I like Hayes
  • Wilder is ok to me. I love surnames, this one just isn't my favorite. Suggest Walker, Shepard, Thatcher, or Sutton
  • LOVE Thatcher.
  • Surnames: Palmer? Hawthorne? Nash? Price?Last name is Carr.