September 2017 Moms
Options

epidural, revisited

2»

Re: epidural, revisited

• Options
    margareth said:
    Oh boy now I don't know what to think... play it by ear, I guess, and if I can't take the pain I'll ask for an epidural when that time comes... 
    This is the entire extent of my birth plan!!! I'm getting pretty scared about the idea of giving birth
  • Options
    Ladies, please don't stress about this! You still know how much you can handle when the time comes. You may honestly surprise yourself! I've had 2 med free and hope to do the same this time. My second I had to get pitocin because my water broke but I still was not having good contractions 8 hrs later so they started that at 5 and I was only 2 centimeters and he was born at 9:19. The pitocin contractions were much worse than the natural ones I had with my oldest and I did break down and say I wanted an epidural. Well they got there and I was like 10 so that didn't happen! Lol
    Just know shit happens and everything will be ok!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No worries, everyone! Good to be as informed as possible! :) 
  • Options
    I had an epidural with my first, I was induced and the meds associated with that were NOT fun! I was pretty sure I'd have one ahead of time so I wasn't disappointed with that, but definitely don't want to be induced again if there's any way it can be avoided. I hate needles so I was absolutely terrified, but it wasn't a big deal at all - just a small pinch, it was a little hard to stay still because of contractions but the Dr had it all done in what felt like a minute! Anyway, my son was alert as anything and latched on straight away, we exclusively breastfed with no problems up until around 13-14 months when he weaned himself when I got preggo with this baby. As far an epidural as this time around goes I'm playing it by ear, but my previous experience definitely put my mind at ease about having one.
  • Options
    @jena333-2 I had an epidural with DD and she was an 8lb baby. I didn't feel a thing when I pushed her out and I had no tearing. My OB actually used oil to massage and stretch me out a bit prior to pushing and I only pushed for twenty minutes. They were really good about telling me when to push and when to stop! 

Im considering going med free with this one if I can handle it. Mostly because I want to get up and walk around and not have to stay in bed. But I'm a big baby with pain so we will see.