Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Chart Stalk & Questions Thread 7/4

Re: Chart Stalk & Questions Thread 7/4

• Options
    OMG what @becausescience said!!

@doxiemoxie212 Ugh, I'm so sorry this is dragging out for you. FWIW, knowledge in certain issues can be very provider dependent, even within the same speciality. If you're not comfortable with your OB, it doesn't hurt to seek a 2nd opinion, and you can bring records of whatever work-up has been done thus far. But ugh, so frustrating. Sorry you're going through this. 

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Hey guys, I have a question for you. 

I got got a positive OPK Monday on CD 15, a little temp dip on Tuesday, and then The last 2 days of temps were normal, below usual post O temps for me, so I thought it was nothing. Then, this morning I woke up about an hour and a half before my usual temp time--I temped in case I couldn't fall back asleep, it was a regular pre O temp, even a little lower than yesterday. I fell back asleep quickly and temped again at my usual time and got a small rise from yesterday. When I input the first temp into FF it obviously thinks I haven't O'd yet. When I put the normal time temp in I get cross hairs for Tuesday. 

What do you think? I usually O between CD 20 and 30, so in the next week or so would be normal, but the clomid, along with the positive OPK and the weird temp situation this morning has me questioning myself. I had a follicle scan last Friday and had 2 almost mature follicles. 

I will now now try to figure out how to post my chart. Please hold. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Apparently chart posting is above my pay grade :neutral:
  • Options
    @LazyCrane Just take a screen shot of your chart and post it

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • Options
    LazyCraneLazyCrane member
    edited July 2017
    lulu1180 said:
    @LazyCrane Just take a screen shot of your chart and post it
    Ok, how do I post a screen shot from mobile? Talk to me like I'm 5. Or 75. 
  • Options
    @LazyCrane what kind of phone do you have
  • Options
    Wait, I just noticed a choose files button. Ok. 

Here is the chart with today's temp from my first wake up about 1.5 hours before I usually temp. 

And here is is the chart with today's temp at the regular time. I fell back asleep very quickly. 

Sorry for being dense. 
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @lazycrane I would normally guess it's a false surge, but I haven't heard of false surges on clomid. Do you normally get CM and didn't get any because of the clomid? (I know that's a common side effect.) Are you being monitored with ultrasounds?

• Options
    adirat said:
    @lazycrane I would normally guess it's a false surge, but I haven't heard of false surges on clomid. Do you normally get CM and didn't get any because of the clomid? (I know that's a common side effect.) Are you being monitored with ultrasounds?

I do normally get false surges and I don't normally check CM, so I didn't this cycle either. I mentioned above I had a follicle scan a week ago with 2 almost mature follicles. My doctor told me to call her if I didn't get a positive OPK by Monday. I did, so I didn't call. Then the holiday and now I'm out of town until Monday. 
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @lazycrane With so few ultrasounds it's really impossible to say because the medication can change your secondary signs. (This is one of several reasons that clomid should have more frequent ultrasounds, but that does you no good now.) Based on temps, you should probably assume you haven't ovulated yet and it was a false surge. I would call your doc just in case though to see if they have other thoughts about false surges on clomid.

• Options
    adirat said:
    @lazycrane With so few ultrasounds it's really impossible to say because the medication can change your secondary signs. (This is one of several reasons that clomid should have more frequent ultrasounds, but that does you no good now.) Based on temps, you should probably assume you haven't ovulated yet and it was a false surge. I would call your doc just in case though to see if they have other thoughts about false surges on clomid.
    Thanks. I guess I'll just carry on until I can get into my doctor. I put in a call this morning, but haven't heard back yet.
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @lazycrane I hope they get back to you quickly. I did a quick search on PubMed and false surges on clomid have been identified -- they're uncommon but not indicative of a problem. Just frustrating! Good thing you're temping. 

• Options
    LazyCraneLazyCrane member
    edited July 2017
    adirat said:
    @lazycrane I hope they get back to you quickly. I did a quick search on PubMed and false surges on clomid have been identified -- they're uncommon but not indicative of a problem. Just frustrating! Good thing you're temping. 
    Finally, my obsessiveness pays off!

ETA, my google search on false surges on clomid  told me they are possible if you test too close to finishing the dose, but I didn't think 8 days was too close. 
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @lazycrane Yeah, I saw that too, but I agree that 8 days isn't close so I ruled it out. I think it must be a more traditional false LH surge. 

• Options
    Question for those of you who have worked to minimize exposure to phthalates - how do you identify whether or not a product has phthalates? From what I have read, phthalates are in most cosmetics, shampoos, moisturizers, nail polishes, but then when I look at the ingredient list I almost never see any form of phthalate (or even abbreviations that could be a phthalate, like DEP). I do see the ominous parfum/perfume/fragrance on some lists, which I know may contain phthalates, but I have also seen those words on products that advertise as being phthalate free (Jason and Alba Botanica brands).

Is there something I'm missing in identifying products that don't have phthalates? Is it only safe to buy products that SAY they are phthalate free, or is it possible for a lay person to determine this for themselves? Debating throwing almost all my makeup away but wondering if it's necessary. 
  • Options
    @LazyCrane I assume you'll have a progesterone draw 7dpo to confirm O?  With two mature follies and a + OPK I feel like you probably did O, but an US would be able to check.  Let us know what your Dr says.  Clomid could have moved your O day up for sure.  (I've Oed on CDs 24, 16, and 22 on clomid - so it can even vary with the medication)
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, if it's not a hassle to explain (I'm just curious), what's the rationale behind just clomid, clomid + trigger, or clomid + trigger + IUI? Is it just a doctor preference or are there certain scenarios where one makes more sense than another? 
  • Options
    @zamora_spin I know... it's a frustrating rabbit hole :(
  • Options
    tl;dr Where do people stand on Vitamin A? 

Ok, so another annoying follow-up question re toxicity - the most concerning ingredient from a ttc standpoint that I'm finding both in the Alba Botanica hair products and also in my foundation (which, the foundation is made locally at a cosmetic shop that tries to be as natural as possible, and I have gone through every ingredient on the list of ingredients and only one raises concern) is retinyl palmitate (a less potent version of Vitamin A/regular retinyl). Now that I have dived a bit further down the rabbit hole, as @Sailing_Mama so aptly put it, I see that the concern about retinyl palmitate is the fact that it is a type of Vitamin A, and too much Vitamin A is linked to things like birth defects. However, what is too much appears to be somewhat disputed in the scientific community, and some sources think putting a bit of it on your skin is probably not a big deal at all. To top it off, my prenatal vitamins contain Vitamin A (MegaFood Baby & Me) in the form of Alpha and Beta Carotene, and I am also reading that NOT having enough Vitamin A causes birth defects as well...

OMG, my head, it is going to explode. 
  • Options
    petethecatpetethecat member
    edited July 2017
    @zamora_spin I'm just pulling this out of a dusty corner of my brain, but vitamin a from beta carotene is fine and is what you want in your PNV. Vitamin a as retinyl palimitate is, as you said, attributed to birth defects and should be avoided. I believe it can be found in some foods, but I can't remember which ones right now and I'm not googling. I believe that there is a minimal threshold for dietary consumption that is considered "safe" in pregnancy, though I can't remember what that is off the top of my head right now.
    This part is just my opinion, but systemic absorption of retinyl palimitate by topical application is minimal. I personally don't feel that avoiding applying it topically in pregnancy is necessary, though some ladies choose to out of comfort. 
  • Options
    @kbamomma33 Thanks, that is helpful and your thinking seems very reasonable to me in terms of risk. 
  • Options
    @zamora_spin I think @kbamomma33 had a good perspective... Although I will also say that the longer I've been TTC, the more I tend to stay away from things that I would have previously considered minimal risks (except wine, of course). I know there was a bit of a conversation around that sort of thing before, where people who have experienced IF or a loss may weigh risks differently.  
  • Options
    @Sailing_Mama Yes, I agree, we are all colored by our experiences. I cannot at all pretend to understand what you and other IF ladies have gone through and are going through and I know you all have gone to and continue to go to great lengths ttc. My personal perspective I am 35 and we are ttc our first. TW we have already had great luck in getting ku, and then also terrible luck in my having an mmc. It is a lot of mixed emotions for me to know there are things I can do to potentially improve our chances of having a take-home baby, because it gives me hope and then also adds a layer of responsibility to every decision I make. End TW. And, if we are lucky enough to have a successful pregnancy, there is a good chance we will want to do it again, at which point I will be 37+, so I've been trying to figure out the things I can change and control (within reason) with the long term in mind. 
  • Options
    My calendar in FF and my chart in FF are giving me different potential fertile days. Or am I reading it wrong? What gives?

• Options
    @MrsMiller8588 That was my suspicion. This link on reading it just threw me off. Thanks :)
  • Options
    @looeeze try checking out the Legends/Key links. The "stats" line is projected O days, while the calendar is projected fertile days (as @MrsMiller8588 said).
  • Options
    @JennyColada I know how to see that on the phone app but where is it for the chart (not the calendar) on the website?
  • Options
    I had asked in wto yesterday. @pebbledam suggested I bring my question here to see what else you ladies have to say.

I'm curious about ways to improve egg/sperm quality.
    -TW- with my son, after my NT scan, they said my risk of chromosome problems was as high as a 42 yr old (I was 30). Then at 34, I had back to back losses (and another month I questioned a chemical. but we weren't trying so I looked past it and never told my doctor). -END TW- so now my paranoid mind can't stop worrying about quality. 
    The 'it starts with an egg' book was suggested and I'm absolutely going to get it. Even if there's no issues going on, now I'm just really curious about it all.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    Morning ladies, I have a question about ovulating/lp.... I'll post my last two charts below but basically it goes like this .... Last month I O'd on day 20 and got my cycle on day 29 that was my first month charting bbt so I was worried about a short luetal phase. This month according to FF I O'd on day 16 and just got my period this morning on day 31. 

So so am I charting wrong? LP shouldn't vary from 8 to 14 days right? Also I normally have a 28 day cycle. 

TIA for your insights! 
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    I had asked in wto yesterday. @pebbledam suggested I bring my question here to see what else you ladies have to say.

I'm curious about ways to improve egg/sperm quality.
    -TW- with my son, after my NT scan, they said my risk of chromosome problems was as high as a 42 yr old (I was 30). Then at 34, I had back to back losses (and another month I questioned a chemical. but we weren't trying so I looked past it and never told my doctor). -END TW- so now my paranoid mind can't stop worrying about quality. 
    The 'it starts with an egg' book was suggested and I'm absolutely going to get it. Even if there's no issues going on, now I'm just really curious about it all.
    @catlady1215 Can you say more about what risk level you had identified with your pregnancy and who told you about it? Was it an NT scan ultrasound in conjunction with NIPT blood test, or similar? Is your son all right? Did you follow up with a CVS or amnio, or have any testing done on him after he was born? I don't think I really have enough information to assess what the doctor told you but if you can give me more I'm happy to think it through. (tw) I have genetically-caused egg quality issues and lost a baby to a genetic disorder after a CVS, so this is an area where I have done a lot of research. (end tw)

Regardless, I recommend It Starts with the Egg for anyone who thinks they may have sperm or egg quality issues, or anyone who has been TTC for a long time. Please remember that genetic issues in a fetus are equally caused by egg or sperm issues, so both you and your partner should implement lifestyle changes and have yourselves checked if/when you get to that point. 

In addition, many doctors are willing to run RPL bloodwork after two losses (rather than waiting for three). If that is something you want, consider asking your doctor about it. 

• Options
    @thatcrazyauntie I'm not convinced on the first chart you posted that you O'd on CD 20 because it looks like FF is only basing that on temps and you have a couple open circles. I, myself, am a slow riser so I could see CD 16 or even CD 18 being O day. My CM doesn't always follow a typical fertile pattern so with OPKs and temps I don't track CM anymore. Just my two cents.
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @thatcrazyauntie Have you recently stopped taking any form of hormonal birth control? Sometimes people have short or variable LPs in their first couple cycles after stopping birth control. (I did.)

In your May chart, I think it's very possible that you actually ovulated CD18, based on OPKs and CM -- your open circle temps likely confused FF, but I don't think things line up for CD20 as well as they do for CD18. It's hard to say with the open circle temps but I don't think the date is set in stone. 

• Options
    @adirat I had an IUD removed in January so I don't think that's it.

i think you ladies may be onto something that my May chart is wrong. I was new to testing and I think my temp time varied more. Also the positive opk was days before crosshairs so that was wierd. 

as hard as it is for me I'm going to try for very consistent temping this month, hopefully I'll find a pattern. 

Sorry for the typing issues I'm on mobile and have a partially broken screen! Lol
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @thatcrazyauntie Yeah, my first month temping was the most difficult to pinpoint O. Honestly, if you make an effort to be consistent and closed-circle temps right around O (when you're seeing CM, when you're doing OPKs) that's the most important. A couple open-circle temps early on or after ovulation don't matter as much.

• Options
    Thanks @adirat ... I will be good this month.... I will be good this month.... I will be good this month 
  • Options
    @thatcrazyauntie - FWIW, I think you likely O'd on CD18 in May as well. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Looking back at my May temps.... Those open circles on day 19 & 20 were over 30 minutes earlier than days 17, 18, 21 & 22. 
    This month I adjusted my temp time down to get more consistent and I'll continue to do that again this cycle. I've heard of an adjustment calculator too so if I have to get up super early I'll try that too.
    thanks ladies!