February 2018 Moms
Options

Gender Disappointment?

azmamatobeazmamatobe member
edited June 2017 in February 2018 Moms
Maybe I don't get it because I didn't make it far enough to find out the gender and I'm not there yet this time but in my FB Jan/Feb2018 group it seems NO ONE is happy with what they are having. 

Is this a real thing? Being so upset about it that you're not even happy to be pregnant any more? This will be my Rainbow (Lord willing it all goes as planned) so no, I haven't felt whatever you feel after finding out the gender but I THINK I'm going to be super excited either way? 

Re: Gender Disappointment?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I remember in my birth month club with my son girls saying they were so sad and crying and even detached from the baby they were so disappointed in the sex. I think it's nuts. I think smorzandoj is right, not getting what exactly they want is a very upsetting to some people. 
  • Options
    I guess I just never really thought about it veing THAT big of a deal. Like I know it's normal to ask what are you hoping for, and it is completely normal to want one over the other, but I guess I just never realized that people got this severely disappointed if they found out it wasn't what they were hoping for. I like most people would like to have one of each but at the end of the day if I end up with two of the same that just means they're I'm going to be saving big time on hand-me-downs and have a good idea of what to expect. 
  • Options
    I'm going to be the odd ball here. Zero kids, infertility patient, 4 years of trying, took out a fallopian tube to get pregnant. So went through the ringer for this kid. Monthly labs and pelvic checks, and meds..ect

HOWEVER I do want a boy. I've had my kids name picked out for 6 years. I have a boys name (chawk) and a girls name (HJ). And a back up boys in case of twins  (sfox).
    But I am in love which chawk and will be slightly
    Disappointed if I don't get it. Oh well. Not sorry.

• Options
    @Chawk17 I understand being disappointed it wasn't what you hoped and taking a moment to mourn that, but like @sabriel1 said, I'd hop on the other train real quick. I think this is more talking about the ones who are crying and freaking out and just can't get on board with the other sex.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited June 2017
    I'm not about to tell some how they should feel. They feel what they feel, and once it sets in, they move past the initial disappointment and accept the sex they're carrying.

I know I would have been sad, initially, had ds2 been a girl. I had a son, and then we lost him. I felt I missed out on the dynamic of parenting a son. I had a feeling I was having another boy, and was beyond ecstatic to find out I was right. I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me how I should feel, and not everyone believes in a deity bestowing offspring, so that sentiment is rather meaningless to some individuals.

I'd be happy either way this time. I've had three girls and two boys. There are times I lean toward wanting a boy to balance things out and I know ds2 wants a little brother. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I want a healthy baby however i would be dissappointed i know it sounds horrible of me but ever sense i was 8 i wanted a little girl i have my son and yes a step daughter but in my mind a baby girl will give me the opportunity to prove to myself that i am better than my mother. I have had a rough life faci g physical mental and even sexyal abuse all before the age of 12 so for me to have a little girl gives me the ability to give her all i wanted and never had. Now i love my son to death but for the last 8 yrs he has been my one and only son. With my step daughter i came in her life at 8 and her mother is a lot like mine and so i had to guide her and she grew up to fast i thi k a girl gives her and i both an even bigger bond. So yes i would be dissappointed if i didnt have a girl that being said i know its out of my hands to know what i will have as long as its healthy.  Besides i have name for both genders picked out just incase 
  • Options
    @Chawk17 I understand being disappointed it wasn't what you hoped and taking a moment to mourn that, but like @sabriel1 said, I'd hop on the other train real quick. I think this is more talking about the ones who are crying and freaking out and just can't get on board with the other sex.
    Oh no, I'm not going to throw a tantrum.
    If it's a girl and I get HJ I'll love her and be happy.
    I'll mourn the boy name...but move on haha! 
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace For some reason I read the OP as being in a Facebook group for Jan/Feb18 moms, but now I realize I completely made that up because FB is never mentioned. And you're right, if this is talking about the Bump Jan18 group, we can't bash what they're saying.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    *Jan18 lurker, not attempting to stir up any drama, also hey @TattoosandLace, you were in July 16, right??*

I haven't seen too many ladies in Jan complaining about what they're having, in fact a lot of them seem really excited. I wouldn't use the broad term "no one" when the vast majority of us haven't found out yet since we're just getting into 2nd tri. Like it was said above, if you have any concerns with us in Jan, let us know instead of taking it to a different BMB. That being said, I can't get on board with sex disappointment taken too far. I've seen some users on TB get deservedly flamed for being crazy upset about it.
  • Options
    We are team green and will be happy either way. I never had a sister so in that aspect I think it would be nice for DD. But it would also be great to have a boy and girl. I don't think I would be disappointed either way. Maybe if they told me it was twins at my first appointment on Monday. I would freak. 
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying @BrandedCowgirl92!
  • Options
    I'd "like" another girl because less shopping and saving some moolah, but I would never ever use the word dissapointed if it turns out taco is a boy. But for that reason, we will find out the sex so I have time to sell off a sh*t ton of clothes lol 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    I really do just want a healthy baby. I'll be happy either way.

My DD keeps saying I'm having a girl though and DH thinks we are having another girl.

I just want to know so the shopping can begin! Haha

• Options
    p.s. if you want to read some quality drama threads about sex disappointment, search for momofboys, she was in June 17. She was a peach.
    I don't know how I missed this comment but OMG yes. And she WOULD. NOT. STOP. 

Meanwhile, we had several members who were facing pretty awful news, and she couldn't see why her constant posts were upsetting. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    p.s. if you want to read some quality drama threads about sex disappointment, search for momofboys, she was in June 17. She was a peach.
    I don't know how I missed this comment but OMG yes. And she WOULD. NOT. STOP. 

Meanwhile, we had several members who were facing pretty awful news, and she couldn't see why her constant posts were upsetting. 
    I have an IRL friend who was preg with boy #4.... pitched a holy fit.... went to 3 Drs and a few elective ultrasound places.... still believed it was a Girl because God told her it was and ordained it in her story....
    Baby #4 was still a boy.... smh

I have 5 boys and will honestly kinda panic of this is a girl. Like.... we do boys. No idea how the gurl would throw us off :)
  • Options
    I will be sad for one day if we are having another boy, but then will be happy.  I just have so much girl stuff to pass on!  Course we would try once more if that is the case!
    Me: 33, DH: 32  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    I'd "like" another girl because less shopping and saving some moolah, but I would never ever use the word dissapointed if it turns out taco is a boy. But for that reason, we will find out the sex so I have time to sell off a sh*t ton of clothes lol 
    OMG we are calling our baby Taco too!!!  
  • Options
    I understand both sides. Even without infertilit. experience,  I feel very, very lucky to have kids, period, so I've always been one to be very excited for whatever I get to have.

But, I completely understand that people can experience worry. I was so excited to find out we were having a boy and I also wondered how I would successfully raise a self confident person with a different sex and set of social pressures than me. 

Now, my son is who he is and I am seeing how it all falls into place, but I did worry I would ruin him. Sometimes, I wonder if some (not all) people with "gender disappointment" are experiencing this but aren't sharing what's on their hearts? 
  • Options
    Nope not me :smile: just in love with a specific name that happens to be a boys name. No qualms about the future here.
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    DH wants a girl and i want a boy... there will be happiness either way as long as baby comed out healthy! Plus side fir me if it is a girl: we can reuse my beautifully girly childhood furniture lol! But I'd still love a boy ha... we are really just praying for healthy and happy though!
  • Options
    It is unfair to trivialize how other people feel. When someone gets attached to a certain gender, I think it goes deeper than that. They are already starting to form a bond with the child they think they are having, and finding out that they are getting a different child can feel like a true loss. It doesn't mean they can't form a bond with the "new" child or that they won't love that child, but they can certainly miss what might have been. 

I know that I want a girl. I've always envisioned myself with daughters. I really really want this baby to be a girl...but I think it's a boy. I'll be honest, there will be that feeling of disappointment if it is a boy, but I'll move on and I'll find the joy in having a boy, and yes, I will love him. 
    That's an interesting perspective and I've never thought of it in those terms. I "felt" my son was a girl during pregnancy. I honestly didn't have a preference at all, but when I found out he was a boy, it took me a few days to change my brain. I really had bonded with the idea of a girl and didn't even know it! I found joy very quickly.  :)