Baby Names
Options

Ashley - is this a hated name or just dated?

I did a search prior to posting and saw a lot of comments suggesting this was dated.  I was born in 1982 and have never known an Ashley!  So please enlighten me here and give your honest opinions.  It is currently our girl name front runner to go along with sibs Carter and Laurel.  

Answers

• Options
    The only Ashley I know is a girl in my daughter's 4th grade class.  I personally find it refreshing.
  • Options
    I was born in 1989 and only knew two in school. To me, it has a classic feel more than a dated feel. I could see the variant Ashleigh seeming a bit more dated, but I love the look of it so I still wouldn't hold that against it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I personally find it a bit boring ( I didn't know tons, but I knew more than a few growing up)it was the number 1 name in 1991 and 1992, and it is trending down, just falling out of the top 100 this past year. (I didn't check variants).

So, if you love it, use it, and at least you're spelling it right (variants always end up more time stamped than the original)
  • Options
    As a 1992 Ashley myself, I cringe when I meet a baby Ashley (this maybe has happened 3 times) 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    Ehh I don't think it's ready for a comeback yet. It's how I imagine Avery will feel to current kids in another 15-20 years. I would find it refreshing to go back to boys but on a girl it's super dated to me. Growing up as a Jennifer I feel like every other person was a Jennifer , Ashley or Lacy. None of which  I would smile at hearing on a baby

• Options
    MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    Slightly dated, but not a bad name.
  • Options
    As a 1983 Ashley myself, I like the name but I'm it sure it's ready for a comeback. I haven't met any Ashley's younger than 28-ish. I had 3 in my small class of 100 students, 2 in the class above me, and 4-5 in the class below me. I'm not against seeing a baby Ashley though!
  • Options
    I like it.  I went to school with several Ashleys but it has been a long time since I've heard it!  Sounds good with your other names as well!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Options
  • Options
    I went to school with several Ashleys growing up, but I also know a 15 year old Ashley so it doesn't feel as time stamped to me as some of the other names mentioned 
  • Options
    I was born in 92 and I went to school with a lot of Ashleys, so for that reason it's definitely dated to me. However, it also goes with the -lee trend right now for a lot of girls names.
  • Options
    NME44NME44 member
    Someone we know named her baby Shannon, and another Amy. I feel like both of these names are dated to the same time-frame but work perfectly well on the babies. If you like Ashley, go for it. I prefer a throwback name to one of the trendy names of today.
  • Options
    It was very popular 20 to 25 years ago, so it will most likely seem dated to children who are born in this decade.  I think there's a difference between "dated" and "old fashioned." 

Ashley as a girl's name is old enough to be a once-trendy name that is now out of style, but not old enough to be considered an old-fashioned name.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    Very dated. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    My daughter's 6 yr old BFF is named Ashley. 
  • Options
    I feel like I've known a hundred Ashleys. It's dated and boring to me.
  • Options
    I was born in the 70s. This name is so dated.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know many millennial Ashleys, I wouldn't mind seeing it used on a baby. 
  • Options
    atackatack member
    My middle name is Ashley.  Born in 1984.  I knew lots of Ashley's.  Still liked the name at the time.  My DD1 is almost 6 and am Ashley was in her K class this year.  It is a cute name.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's definitely less common now, but if you like it, go for it. I'd rather see the traditional spelling than "Ashleigh" (which in my head I always say Ash-LAY) or "Ashlee" or any other spelling spin. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My sister is a 1987 Ashley and I know a 1984 Ashley as well.  Although I don't hate it, I think it would be like using Stacey, Jennifer, Amanda, or Rachel for a baby.  I don't think it's ready for a comeback just yet.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers