December 2017 Moms
Options

New findings about alcohol: even low amounts can influence baby's development

Re: New findings about alcohol: even low amounts can influence baby's development

• Options
    Yep @PoeMasque I agree. I'm so over it. It was like that on the dec 2015 board too. 
  • Options
    babypibabypi member
    @PoeMasque Thank you for saying what's been on my mind the last few weeks. You expressed a lot of why I've taken to lurking these boards after being fairly active for the first few weeks.  When the boards got busier, it was hard to keep up. I simply can't post as often as a lot of ladies on here, so now I don't feel like I can post anywhere because of the possibility of being flamed by the in-crowd if they don't happen to recognize my username.  I know I'm not alone in feeling this way, and I wonder how many more lurkers are out there afraid to join in for the same reason. 

@missphil Nice to see another Dec15 gal. I agree, that board was the same way towards the end of the 2nd trimester. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @AMCsquared @clovelyone I also didn't find this post offensive or sanctimommy but  I can see why some would. 
    @milkbar thanks for the article and yea haven't looked at the scientific validity of this. I have not read expecting better but as a health care provider I always feel suspicious when someone comes out with a book "debunking" all research on a certain topic or calling conspiracy theories. I'm sure there's perfectly valid points in that book and will investigate myself at some point 

I agree with @clovelyone that everyone parents differently and I think it's fine to get all perspectives out there but maybe not to assume that someone posting an article is a deliberate attack on you or your lifestyle .

Anyway I don't believe in necessarily kumbaya for the sake of it but I do think there's room for disagreement when it comes to something as complex and personal as parenting.

I had a very long discussion with @GraysonsMama  about why I felt her views on sex and gender to be hurtful. I'm trying to see the parallel here and I guess it would be maybe @milkbar a post on a controversial topic may be good to approach in a tread lightly kind of way to avoid negative reactions or just otherwise you may have to expect the repercussions
  • Options
    I hardly hang out here, so it was interesting to see the responses when I didn't have the backstory (didn't know anything about people posting about drinking until I read the responses - so maybe the OP didn't either).
    @Millphil @babypi also D15 over here! Heyyy!
    I think sometimes you read things and want to share with people who might have the same response as you did - of fear, or uncertainty - not to place judgment upon them or make them paranoid because misery likes company, but just to take the temperature and see if your own response was reasonable. I don't know if that makes sense. I'm friggin tired.
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @angetralala @PoeMasque @Millphil @babypi @jackiesmom324 @clovelyone @AMCsquared @dkizz82 @elcd458 @shellac835  Thank you so much for voicing your opinion!!!

It's calming to see that there are people with adequate adult attitude in this community, who also find aggression unnecessary and unhealthy. The last thing you want to do when pregnant is to think of how to deal with attacks on an internet forum. 

I am so surprised that it's happening here. It's not a teenager forum, we are all around 30, the future moms that supposed to be nurturing, caring and loving. We are all expecting babies, we should be here for each other, not against each other even if we don't agree on certain topics. 

I have already witnessed some people saying are afraid to share information because they don't want to be attacked. And how many users just decided quietly not to get involved in this forum, after seeing the panopticon happening in this thread? 

The study I shared might not have numbers available for us now, but it doesn't mean that it is invalid. It can be just as much valid as invalid. The chances are 50/50. Actually, it's the first study with its new findings puts a question mark on the validity of the epidemiological studies which the above mentioned book refers to. Isn't it information worth sharing? 

I don't know what's up with the female-only communities, but they do tend to be overly hostile. My interaction here just reminded me a passage from the book "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera, on what I'll finish:

“It was drizzling. As people rushed along, they began opening umbrellas over their heads, and all at once the streets were crowded, too. Arched umbrella roofs collided with one another. The men were courteous, and when passing Tereza they held their umbrellas high over their heads and gave her room to go by. But the women would not yield; each looked straight ahead, waiting for the other woman to acknowledge her inferiority and step aside. The meeting of the umbrellas was a test of strength. At first Tereza gave way, but when she realized her courtesy was not being reciprocated, she started clutching her umbrella like the other women and ramming it forcefully against the oncoming umbrellas. No one ever said "Sorry." For the most part no one said anything, though once or twice she did hear a "Fat cow!" or "Fuck you!"

The women thus armed with umbrellas were both young and old, but the younger among them proved the more steeled warriors. Tereza recalled the days of the invasion and the girls in miniskirts carrying flags on long staffs. Theirs was a sexual vengeance: the Russian soldiers had been kept in enforced celibacy for several long years and must have felt they had landed on a planet invented by a science fiction writer, a planet of stunning women who paraded their scorn on beautiful long legs the likes of which had not been seen in Russia for the past five or six centuries.

She had taken many pictures of those young women against a backdrop of tanks. How she had admired them! And now these same women were bumping into her, meanly and spitefully. Instead of flags, they held umbrellas, but they held them with the same pride. They were ready to fight as obstinately against a foreign army as against an umbrella that refused to move out of their way. ”

• Options
    milkbarmilkbar member
    edited June 2017
    @clovelyone I didn't meant to say that they are not adults, they are, just bulling is something more characteristic of the school age, to my mind. But I agree with you, it's a better to say a misunderstanding, it'll be more productive for us all.

@breezybee You are right, discussions with non-offensive exchange of opinions is healthy and help to see different perspectives. That's why I am very thankful to @Amber_Waves for her comments. But "dirty lurker", "sanctimom" and passive-agressive "Happy 9 months" is not a discussion. It's an attack. 
  • Options
    missphilmissphil member
    edited June 2017
    Really struggling with the idea that people legit think a forum of mostly women is more "hostile" and catty. The reason women didn't have be the right to vote is not because we're emotional beings. It's be cause men have a long history of being assholes.

Agreed I have always been a girl's girl so I don't get why people generalize and say women are catty with other women. I think people can be a-holes with other people. Men and women alike.

Eta: not calling anyone an a-hole; I'm just speaking in general
  • Options
    @rainbowdashh @collectiveliving @poemasque oh, I already dislike myself for getting involved into another controversial discussion after being just almost burnt alive for this one  :D Have you seen a recent documentary "The Red Pill" filmed by a feminist? It's a must-see to get a perspective on the topic of gender oppression. https://theredpillmovie.com/
    Sorry, no more comments from me on this account. Everybody have a nice day!  :)

• Options
    edited June 2017
    @milkbar- I haven't seen it yet.

eta- Just watched the trailer and read a great review of it in the Village Voice.  Yeah, @rainbowdashh I don't think I'll be watching it either.

A quote from the Village Voice review, about the supposedly feminist filmmaker, "I feel comfortable calling her “propagandist” because of my own “research” (ie. “reading the top search results”). Here’s something Elam wrote on A Voice for Men in 2010: “Should I be called to sit on a jury for a rape trial, I vow publicly to vote not guilty, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the charges are true.” What excuse would any serious documentarian have for not asking Elam to explain that?"

https://www.villagevoice.com/2016/10/04/warning-you-cant-unsee-the-red-pill-the-documentary-about-a-filmmaker-who-learns-to-love-mras/
    ___
    Due date 12/9
    I can't figure out the pregnancy countdown tickers, but I do know how to make a signature!
    #40andpregnant

As of 12/15/2017, my new hashtag is #41 and pregnant!
  • Options
    @kyrwyn just wanted to shout out to you for your extremely well written, well-thought-out critique of the article in question. These were similar to my thoughts, though I didn't share them near as eloquently!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah. No. Won't be watching that. No one is saying men don't have problems, but historically women are the ones oppressed by men. 
  • Options
    @kyrwyn If you were next to me I'd give you a big hug. Thanks for brining your expertise to help us understand the study better!
    From the supplement to the study below I understand they considered Maternal age, Maternal pre pregnancy body mass index, Maternal smoking during pregnancy, Child birth weight and Child sex. But it's too short to really to understand a full picture.

https://jamanetwork.com/data/Journals/PEDS/0/POI170026supp1_prod.pdf
  • Options
    @rainbowdashh although that's true, it doesn't mean another group is without its own struggles. Not all the men are doing the oppressing, and I think it would be interesting to learn the ways men perceive their own oppression, particularly through the eyes of a self-identified feminist. In the name of even attempting to consider myself an enlightened and educated person, I always try to see all the sides - so at least if I continue to disagree, now I have more reasons as to why. 
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    NME44NME44 member
    For those who say the board is unnecessarily catty, that's always been the culture of the bump, and part of the reason there was the mass banning back in 2014/15. Everything was getting out of control. I'm not saying I find it pleasant or necessary, but I'm also not surprised when it happens.

as for the article not being a scientific study, I don't think it ever presumed to be. Some researchers found some data that is interesting and seems to support the current recommendations. It was published in a legitimate journal and needs more research in order to be verified as "scientific proof." That will probably never happen because it's generally presumed unethical to use a control group and an experiment group when we're dealing with something that could potentially harm unborn babies. It would also be difficult because, as people said, differences in cognitive ability can be related to differences in socioeconomic class and genetics. 

Either way, the article didn't bother me either.
  • Options
    NME44NME44 member
    @milkbar- I haven't seen it yet.

eta- Just watched the trailer and read a great review of it in the Village Voice.  Yeah, @rainbowdashh I don't think I'll be watching it either.

A quote from the Village Voice review, about the supposedly feminist filmmaker, "I feel comfortable calling her “propagandist” because of my own “research” (ie. “reading the top search results”). Here’s something Elam wrote on A Voice for Men in 2010: “Should I be called to sit on a jury for a rape trial, I vow publicly to vote not guilty, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the charges are true.” What excuse would any serious documentarian have for not asking Elam to explain that?"

https://www.villagevoice.com/2016/10/04/warning-you-cant-unsee-the-red-pill-the-documentary-about-a-filmmaker-who-learns-to-love-mras/
    I love that that article was written by a man.
  • Options
    Katya1982Katya1982 member
    edited June 2017
    EDITED TO DELETE ARTICLE CONTENT DUE TO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CONCERNS

My university has the full text of the article. Here you are. A little puzzled by those who say the Journal of the American Medical Association is not "scientific". Which medical journal is then?! I have no stake in this game as I like drinking even less than I like data analysis, but the statisticians out there can have at it parsing the research here. The PDF of the article had some images and tables in addition, but I don't know how to share a pdf here. This is what what available through the text-only interface at JAMA. It is too long to post all together so I will split it up.

Original Investigation
    June 5, 2017

Association Between Prenatal Alcohol Exposure and Craniofacial Shape of Children at 12 Months of Age

Evelyne Muggli, MPH1,2; Harold Matthews, BPsych(Hons)2,3,4; Anthony Penington, MDBS2,3,4; et alPeter Claes, PhD4,5,6; Colleen O’Leary, PhD7; Della Forster, PhD8,9; Susan Donath, MA2,10; Peter J. Anderson, PhD2,11,12; Sharon Lewis, PhD1,2; Cate Nagle, PhD13,14; Jeffrey M. Craig, PhD2,15; Susan M. White, MBBS2,16; Elizabeth J. Elliott, MD17; Jane Halliday, PhD1,2
    Author Affiliations Article Information
    JAMA Pediatr. Published online June 5, 2017. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.0778
    editorial comment icon 
    Editorial
    Comment
    related articles icon 
    Related
    Articles
    Key Points

Question  Is there an association between different levels of prenatal alcohol exposure and child craniofacial shape at 12 months?

Findings  This cohort study conducted an objective and sensitive craniofacial phenotype analysis of 415 children, which showed an association between prenatal alcohol exposure and craniofacial shape at almost every level of exposure examined. Differences in the midface and nose resemble midface anomalies associated with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.

Meaning  Any alcohol consumption has consequences on craniofacial development, supporting advice that complete abstinence from alcohol while pregnant is the safest option; it remains unclear whether the facial differences are associated neurocognitive outcomes of prenatal alcohol exposure.

Abstract

Importance  Children who receive a diagnosis of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder may have a characteristic facial appearance in addition to neurodevelopmental impairment. It is not well understood whether there is a gradient of facial characteristics of children who did not receive a diagnosis of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder but who were exposed to a range of common drinking patterns during pregnancy.

Objective  To examine the association between dose, frequency, and timing of prenatal alcohol exposure and craniofacial phenotype in 12-month-old children.

Design, Setting, and Participants  A prospective cohort study was performed from January 1, 2011, to December 30, 2014, among mothers recruited in the first trimester of pregnancy from low-risk, public maternity clinics in metropolitan Melbourne, Australia. A total of 415 white children were included in this analysis of 3-dimensional craniofacial images taken at 12 months of age. Analysis was performed with objective, holistic craniofacial phenotyping using dense surface models of the face and head. Partial least square regression models included covariates known to affect craniofacial shape.

Exposures  Low, moderate to high, or binge-level alcohol exposure in the first trimester or throughout pregnancy.

Main Outcomes and Measures  Anatomical differences in global and regional craniofacial shape between children of women who abstained from alcohol during pregnancy and children with varying levels of prenatal alcohol exposure.

Results  Of the 415 children in the study (195 girls and 220 boys; mean [SD] age, 363.0 [8.3] days), a consistent association between craniofacial shape and prenatal alcohol exposure was observed at almost any level regardless of whether exposure occurred only in the first trimester or throughout pregnancy. Regions of difference were concentrated around the midface, nose, lips, and eyes. Directional visualization showed that these differences corresponded to general recession of the midface and superior displacement of the nose, especially the tip of the nose, indicating shortening of the nose and upturning of the nose tip. Differences were most pronounced between groups with no exposure and groups with low exposure in the first trimester (forehead), moderate to high exposure in the first trimester (eyes, midface, chin, and parietal region), and binge-level exposure in the first trimester (chin).

Conclusions and Relevance  Prenatal alcohol exposure, even at low levels, can influence craniofacial development. Although the clinical significance of these findings is yet to be determined, they support the conclusion that for women who are or may become pregnant, avoiding alcohol is the safest option.

Introduction

Prenatal alcohol exposure (PAE) is a major preventable cause of health and developmental problems in children. It may cause irreversible damage to the brain, resulting in fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD), which is characterized by learning difficulties, executive dysfunction, impaired speech, motor problems, and behavior problems. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder may affect 3% to 5% of mainstream school-aged children [. . .] [DELETED SECTION (Middle section of this paragraph] [. . .] Together these findings suggest a possible dose-related association between PAE and craniofacial shape.

Most of the studies cited have used facial measurements, which capture limited information and are prone to measurement error, or used clinical examination, which may be subjective. [. . .] [DELETED SECTION (remainder of this paragraph)]

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    EDITED TO DELETE CONTENT DUE TO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CONCERNS

Methods
    Study Population
    Asking Questions About Alcohol in Pregnancy (AQUA) is a population-based longitudinal study of the neurodevelopmental outcomes in children with PAE, with a focus on low to moderate alcohol consumption. Participants are 1570 women and their offspring, recruited in early pregnancy during a 12-month period from July 25, 2011, to July 30, 2012, from low-risk public maternity clinics in Melbourne, Australia. Three-dimensional craniofacial images were captured at 12 months from a subset of 517 participants. [. . .] [DELETED SECTION (Remainder of paragraph)]

Measurement of Alcohol Exposure
    Questionnaires were collected that had detailed information on the quantity and frequency of alcohol consumption for the 3 months before pregnancy and for each trimester, including the time prior to recognition of pregnancy. Frequency of drinking and typical amount and type of alcoholic drink were combined to provide a single-exposure measure for each stage of pregnancy, expressed in grams of absolute alcohol (AA) and using algorithms previously described.

Exposure levels were low (≤20 g of AA per occasion and ≤70 g of AA per week), moderate (21-49 g of AA per occasion and ≤70 g of AA per week), high (>70 g of AA per week), and binge (≥50 g of AA per occasion). Mothers who were abstinent throughout pregnancy comprised the control group for all analyses.

[DELETED PARAGRAPH]

Image Acquisition and Preprocessing

Medical photographers not involved in the analysis collected 3-D craniofacial images between January 8, 2013, and February 11, 2014, inclusive, within 2 weeks of the child’s first birthday, at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia. [. . .] [DELETED SECTION (Remainder of paragraph)]

Craniofacial Measurement
    Craniofacial measurement was undertaken by a researcher (H.M.) blinded to the participants’ PAE group. To represent the entire surface of the face, a spatially dense array of 69 587 points on a template 1-year-old face (derived with bootstrapping) was automatically placed onto each target image by a 3-D surface registration algorithm. [. . .] [DELETED REMAINDER OF PARAGRAPH]

Covariates
    Regression covariates included risk factors known to be, or that could plausibly be, associated with craniofacial shape: child’s sex, which is known to be associated with early craniofacial dimorphism; maternal age, a risk factor for malformations; and maternal smoking in pregnancy, a risk factor for malformations of the head and face.The child’s birth weight and maternal prepregnancy body mass index were included as factors potentially resulting in greater fat deposition around the cheeks.

To gauge individual variation in alcohol metabolism, mothers were asked how quickly they felt the effects of alcohol (very slowly or slowly, normally, or very quickly or quickly). [. . .] [DELETED TWO SENTENCES]

Statistical Analysis
    The distribution of PAE groups and covariates was described using frequency counts and percentages if categorical, and mean (SD) values if continuous. To test for a difference in craniofacial shape between the control and each PAE group in each tier, partial least squares regression models were fitted. [. . .] [DELETED 2.5 PARAGRAPHS].

Results
    The characteristics of the children included in the analysis are summarized in Table 1. The cohort included 220 boys and 195 girls with a mean (SD) age of 363.0 (8.3) days at imaging. Of the 326 children with PAE, 133 (40.8%) were exposed in the first trimester only and 193 (59.2%) throughout the pregnancy.

Global and Regional Association Between PAE and Craniofacial Shape
    There was no significant association between PAE and craniofacial shape at the global level (Table 2). There were, however, regional mean differences in craniofacial shape of children exposed to any alcohol (tier 1), regardless of whether PAE occurred in the first trimester only or throughout pregnancy (tier 2) [. . . ] [DELETED 1.5 PARAGRAPHS]

Stratified Regional Association Between PAE and Craniofacial Shape

The partial least squares regression analysis was repeated, stratified by maternal report of feeling the effects of alcohol normally and very quickly or quickly (omitting those who reported feeling the effects of alcohol slowly or very slowly owing to small group numbers). [. . .] [REMAINDER OF PARAGRAPH DELETED]

Association of Covariates With Craniofacial Shape
    There were significant global differences in craniofacial shape associated with maternal age, prepregnancy body mass index, children’s birth weight, and child’s sex. Maternal smoking during pregnancy was not associated with craniofacial shape at a global level. The tier 1 regression model showing these associations is in eTable in the Supplement (global associations) and eFigure in the Supplement (regional associations).

Discussion
    To our knowledge, this study is the first to examine the association between the face of the child and common patterns of PAE, using objective, holistic methods of craniofacial phenotyping. A consistent association with craniofacial shape was observed in almost all exposure groups, with differences concentrated on regions around the nose, eyes, upper lips, and lower lips. Results indicate a mild midfacial recession suggestive of subclinical hypoplasia and an upturning of the nasal tip in those exposed to alcohol prenatally. This phenotype was evident even when drinking was at a low level and mothers ceased alcohol consumption in the first trimester.

In the unstratified analysis, we observed the strongest association with facial shape in children of mothers who drank at moderate levels in the first trimester only. In the stratified analysis, craniofacial differences were strongest in children of mothers who said they felt the effects of alcohol quickly, particularly if they continued drinking throughout pregnancy and initially drank at moderate levels. The apparent discrepancy between the 2 analyses may be because fewer women who reported feeling the effects of alcohol quickly drank throughout pregnancy. A higher proportion of mothers who felt the effects of alcohol normally in those exposure groups may have masked the association in the unstratified analysis.

[TWO PARAGRAPHS DELETED]

During embryogenesis, facial bone and cartilage are derived from the cranial neural crest. Sizing and positioning of facial elements begins 17 to 18 days after fertilization and before most pregnancies are recognized. Evidence from mouse studies shows that exposure to ethanol affects all stages of neural crest development, resulting in variation in craniofacial appearance, depending on the gestational timing of exposure. For example, alcohol exposure at gestational day 7 (the 15th-17th day in human development) leads to severe midfacial hypoplasia, an elongated upper lip, and a deficient philtrum, while exposure at day 8.5 causes mild midfacial hypoplasia, a shortened upper lip, and a preserved philtrum. We observed a similar facial phenotype to that seen in animal models, particularly after first-trimester moderate PAE. Although it was not possible to localize the timing of exposure as precisely as in these animal studies, our findings confirm an association between moderate PAE and facial shape in the first trimester in humans, which is convergent with the animal evidence.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2017

EDITED TO DELETE CONTENT DUE TO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CONCERNS

Even in children of mothers who drink heavily, facial abnormalities associated with PAE are highly variable,5 which may reflect variation in the timing of exposure in the first trimester or unmeasured risk factors. For example, genetic variants in maternal and fetal alcohol metabolism have been shown to influence the level of alcohol and/or its toxic metabolites experienced by the fetus.  [. . .] [REMAINDER OF PARAGRAPH DELETED]

We observed that children of mothers who reported feeling the effects of alcohol quickly or very quickly exhibited larger craniofacial differences in most exposure groups. We hypothesize that this rate of feeling the effects of alcohol reflects genetically determined variation in alcohol metabolism. The rate of feeling the effects of alcohol may ultimately be clinically useful to differentiate individuals with a greater susceptibility to the effects of alcohol, conferring increased fetal vulnerability, and may in part explain the heterogeneity of outcomes in alcohol-exposed pregnancies and in FASD.

Craniofacial development closely corresponds to brain induction and expansion, and, as such, characteristic facial differences have been linked to brain abnormalities and cognitive outcome in FASD.31 Correlative face-brain phenotypes have been described in human and animal studies, suggesting that the type and severity of brain abnormality may be predicted in part by hypoplasia of the midface,28,32 and that the classic facial features of FASD (short palpebral fissure, smooth philtrum, and thin upper lip) may assist in identifying children at risk of developing neurobehavioral deficits.5 Given that cognitive outcomes for the children in our study have not yet been examined in this context, it is as yet unknown if the craniofacial differences found are of diagnostic or predictive value.

Strengths and Limitations

This study is a well-described cohort of mother-child dyads with detailed PAE data and classification not available in many other studies. [. . .] [REMAINDER OF PARAGRAPH DELETED]

[PARAGRAPH DELETED]

We postulate that the rate of feeling the effects of alcohol is a proxy for metabolic factors influencing PAE and its association with facial shape, but have no direct measure such as blood alcohol concentration or alcohol elimination rates to examine. Investigation of maternal and/or child allelic differences (genotypes) at specific genes associated with alcohol metabolism or alcohol use behavior is under way.

Conclusions

The results of this study suggest that even low levels of alcohol consumption can influence craniofacial development of the fetus and confirm that the first trimester is a critical period. We observed aspects of a craniofacial phenotype with almost any level of PAE, something previously only documented following a high level of long-term alcohol exposure. Although the clinical significance of our findings is yet to be determined, these findings support the conclusion that, for women who are, or may become pregnant, avoiding alcohol is the safest option.

Article Information

Accepted for Publication: March 2, 2017.

Corresponding Author: Jane Halliday, PhD, Public Health Genetics, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, 50 Flemington Rd, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia (jane.halliday.h@mcri.edu.au).

Published Online: June 5, 2017. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.0778

Author Contributions: Ms Muggli and Mr Matthews are co-first authors. Ms Muggli and Mr Matthews had full access to all the data in the study and take responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.

Study concept and design: Muggli, Penington, O’Leary, Forster, Donath, Anderson, Nagle, Craig, Elliott, Halliday.

Acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data: Muggli, Matthews, Claes, O’Leary, Forster, Donath, Lewis, Nagle, White, Elliott, Halliday.

Drafting of the manuscript: Muggli, Matthews, Donath, Nagle, White, Elliott, Halliday.

Critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content: Muggli, Matthews, Penington, Claes, O’Leary, Forster, Donath, Anderson, Lewis, Nagle, Craig, Elliott, Halliday.

Statistical analysis: Matthews, Claes, Donath, Halliday.

Obtained funding: Muggli, O’Leary, Forster, Anderson, Nagle, Craig, Elliott, Halliday.

Administrative, technical, or material support: Muggli, Matthews, Nagle, Craig, Elliott, Halliday.

Study supervision: Muggli, Penington, Claes, Anderson, Craig, Elliott, Halliday.

Conflict of Interest Disclosures: None reported.

Funding/Support: This work is supported by grant 1011070 from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Senior Research Fellowships 1081288 (Dr Anderson) and 1021252 (Dr Halliday) from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Practitioner Fellowship 1021480 (Dr Elliott) from the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, and the Victorian State Government’s Operational Infrastructure Support Program.

Role of Funder/Sponsor: The funding sources had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and decision to submit the manuscript for publication.

Additional Contributions: Ine Saey, MS, Department of Electrical Engineering, KU Leuven, contributed to the preliminary analyses; she was not compensated for her contribution. We also thank all the women and their children who are taking part in this study and the medical photographers who undertook the 3-dimensional imaging.

References

Mattson  SN, Crocker  N, Nguyen  TT.  Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: neuropsychological and behavioral features.  Neuropsychol Rev. 2011;21(2):81-101.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

May  P, Baete  A, Russo  J,  et al.  Prevalence and characteristics of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.  Pediatrics. 2014;134(5):855-866.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Hoyme  HE, Kalberg  WO, Elliott  AJ,  et al.  Updated clinical guidelines for diagnosing fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.  Pediatrics. 2016;138(2):e20154256.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Manning  MA, Eugene Hoyme  H.  Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a practical clinical approach to diagnosis.  Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2007;31(2):230-238.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Suttie  M, Foroud  T, Wetherill  L,  et al.  Facial dysmorphism across the fetal alcohol spectrum.  Pediatrics. 2013;131(3):e779-e788.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Moore  ES, Ward  RE, Jamison  PL, Morris  CA, Bader  PI, Hall  BD.  New perspectives on the face in fetal alcohol syndrome: what anthropometry tells us.  Am J Med Genet. 2002;109(4):249-260.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Foroud  T, Wetherill  L, Vinci-Booher  S,  et al.  Relation over time between facial measurements and cognitive outcomes in fetal alcohol-exposed children.  Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012;36(9):1634-1646.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

May  PA, Blankenship  J, Marais  AS,  et al.  Maternal alcohol consumption producing fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD): quantity, frequency, and timing of drinking.  Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013;133(2):502-512.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

May  PA, Tabachnick  BG, Gossage  JP,  et al.  Maternal risk factors predicting child physical characteristics and dysmorphology in fetal alcohol syndrome and partial fetal alcohol syndrome.  Drug Alcohol Depend. 2011;119(1-2):18-27.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

May  PA, Marais  AS, de Vries  MM,  et al.  The continuum of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in a community in South Africa: prevalence and characteristics in a fifth sample.  Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016;168:274-286.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Shrimpton  S, Daniels  K, de Greef  S,  et al.  A spatially-dense regression study of facial form and tissue depth: towards an interactive tool for craniofacial reconstruction.  Forensic Sci Int. 2014;234:103-110.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Muggli  E, O’Leary  C, Forster  D,  et al.  Study protocol: Asking QUestions about Alcohol in pregnancy (AQUA): a longitudinal cohort study of fetal effects of low to moderate alcohol exposure.  BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014;14(1):302.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

O’Leary  CM, Bower  C, Zubrick  SR, Geelhoed  E, Kurinczuk  JJ, Nassar  N.  A new method of prenatal alcohol classification accounting for dose, pattern and timing of exposure: improving our ability to examine fetal effects from low to moderate alcohol.  J Epidemiol Community Health. 2010;64(11):956-962.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Muggli  E, Cook  B, O’Leary  C, Forster  D, Halliday  J.  Increasing accurate self-report in surveys of pregnancy alcohol use.  Midwifery. 2015;31(3):e23-e28.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Muggli  E, O’Leary  C, Donath  S,  et al.  “Did you ever drink more?”: a detailed description of pregnant women’s drinking patterns.  BMC Public Health. 2016;16:683.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Matthews  H, Penington  T, Saey  I, Halliday  J, Muggli  E, Claes  P.  Spatially dense morphometrics of craniofacial sexual dimorphism in 1-year-olds.  J Anat. 2016;229(4):549-559.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Claes  P. A Robust Statistical Surface Registration Framework Using Implicit Function Representations: Application in Craniofacial Reconstruction [PhD thesis]. Leuven, Belgium: Faculty of Engineering, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven; 2007.

Claes  P, Walters  M, Clement  J.  Improved facial outcome assessment using a 3D anthropometric mask.  Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41(3):324-330.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Snyders  J, Claes  P, Vandermeulen  D, Suetens  P. Development and Comparison of Non-Rigid Surface Registration and Extensions. Leuven, Belgium: Department of Electrical Engineering, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven; 2014. Technical Report KUL/ESAT/PSI/1401.

Gower  JC.  Generalized Procrustes analysis.  Psychometrika. 1975;40(1):33-51. doi:10.1007/BF02291478Article UKE-LinkSolver

Gill  SK, Broussard  C, Devine  O, Green  RF, Rasmussen  SA, Reefhuis  J; National Birth Defects Prevention Study.  Association between maternal age and birth defects of unknown etiology: United States, 1997-2007.  Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2012;94(12):1010-1018.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Hackshaw  A, Rodeck  C, Boniface  S.  Maternal smoking in pregnancy and birth defects: a systematic review based on 173 687 malformed cases and 11.7 million controls.  Hum Reprod Update. 2011;17(5):589-604.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Anderson  MJ, Legendre  P.  An empirical comparison of permutation methods for tests of partial regression coefficients in a linear model.  J Stat Comput Simul. 1999;62(3):271-303. doi:10.1080/00949659908811936Article UKE-LinkSolver

Claes  P, Liberton  DK, Daniels  K,  et al.  Modeling 3D facial shape from DNA.  PLoS Genet. 2014;10(3):e1004224.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Iveli  MF, Morales  S, Rebolledo  A,  et al.  Effects of light ethanol consumption during pregnancy: increased frequency of minor anomalies in the newborn and altered contractility of umbilical cord artery.  Pediatr Res. 2007;61(4):456-461.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Smith  SM, Garic  A, Berres  ME, Flentke  GR.  Genomic factors that shape craniofacial outcome and neural crest vulnerability in FASD.  Front Genet. 2014;5:224.PubMed

Hill  MA. Carnegie stage comparison. https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php/Carnegie_Stage_Comparison. Accessed September 11, 2016.

Lipinski  RJ, Hammond  P, O’Leary-Moore  SK,  et al.  Ethanol-induced face-brain dysmorphology patterns are correlative and exposure-stage dependent.  PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e43067.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Zuccolo  L, Lewis  SJ, Smith  GD,  et al.  Prenatal alcohol exposure and offspring cognition and school performance. A ‘Mendelian randomization’ natural experiment.  Int J Epidemiol. 2013;42(5):1358-1370.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Lewis  SJ, Zuccolo  L, Davey Smith  G,  et al.  Fetal alcohol exposure and IQ at age 8: evidence from a population-based birth-cohort study.  PLoS One. 2012;7(11):e49407.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Smith  SM, Garic  A, Flentke  GR, Berres  ME.  Neural crest development in fetal alcohol syndrome.  Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today. 2014;102(3):210-220.PubMedArticle UKE-LinkSolver

Yang  Y, Phillips  OR, Kan  E,  et al.  Callosal thickness reductions relate to facial dysmorphology in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.  Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012;36(5):798-806.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Katya1982 thanks for posting the full article 

@collectiveliving I agree that I'm def not so happy about the disparaging comments about women. People are people and all make mistakes I hate generalizations. I also think it's pretty rough to have the reason this thread went sour is because it's a bunch of women. Lol just log onto Reddit, 4chan or go to any sporting event to see men being petty af.
  • Options

So this is what happens when DH takes me out for lunch... I'm not even going to bother jumping back in at this point. @anewadventure Basically summed up what I'd say. I wanted to give @milkbar another chance, but damn... She couldn't be more condescending if she tried. That being said, I like everyone else here and respect the differing opinions, but it's because you also treat me with respect.
    BabyFruit Ticker