Baby Names

Isabel- Is it too popular?

Slowly but surely falling in love with the name Isabel. Found out that Isabella is widely popular in the U.S right now, or has been in the past couple of years. I don't want my kid to be one of 5 "Isa's" in her class. What's your experience with the name? Are there tons of LO's with a similar name? As an adult I don't know a single Isabel or anything close, neither child nor adult. But I don't know that many kiddos! Thoughts?

Re: Isabel- Is it too popular?

• Isabel/Isabella are both very popular in my area (midwest) but we've been debating on the name Isabella anyways as well. 
  • I have an Isabelle. I love it! Go for it:)
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    If you like it, use it! Popularity is relative and the social security name ranks can be deceiving.  Basically, I believe so long as a name isn't too common for you (such that you're sick of it), then everything else doesn't matter! 
  • I know sooo many "Bella's"
  • I know many, but a benefit of this name is that there are lots of nn options in case she shares a class with another one. Izzy, Bella, Belle, Isa
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I actually only know two or three Isabella's and they usually go by Bella. Kid age, no babies.

I know one Isabelle (my age-25) she goes by Izzy.

I like Isabel and say go for it! 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Isabel is classic and timeless. Beautiful, ages well, and not trendy I wouldn't hesitate on it 

• Whether a name is too popular or not comes down to personal preference. 

But A+ to Isa as a nn. So many Bella's.
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I'm sick of Bella but I like Isabel.  
  • There's always the Scottish version: Isobel.
  • Isabel/la seems to be one of the names that is always popular, but is such a classic and timeless name that it doesn't matter. Yes, there have been sooooo many "Bella"s in the last decade, but I think a lot of it had to do with Twilight, and now that the movie isn't as popular I think we will see a bit less of it in the next decade. The name also had the advantage of having many nicknames to choose from, like PPs have mentioned. 

The only Isabel/Isabella I've ever met in real life was my grandmother, whose middle name was Isobel. I'm expecting boy/girl twins, and we have chosen to name the girl Isabella after her. 
  • There are a lot of Isabellas, Isabels and Isabelles, so your dd would deal with other girls with her name or something very much like it. Many nn Bella, Belle or Izzy too. If that is a deal breaker, don't do it. But it's a lovely name and for what it's worth, I much prefer Isabel to the others. 
  • Also, just to throw this out there: if you love a name for your LO, then don't let popularity deter you. I'm a Jennifer, which was super common in the 80s (when I was born). It was common for me to have 2 or more Jennifers in a class with me, and on many occasions I've had 3+ (and once I had EIGHT).

I know that everyone's experience with a popular name is different, but I thought it was fun. I definitely share an affinity for people with my name and it's nice to have something in common and an easy conversation starter (we can laugh about how many other people we know with our same name). If you treat it as a negative, then obviously your LO will see it that way. But if you see it as a positive then they likely won't be bothered by it.

• You mentioned the nn Isa. Most people use the nns Belle, Bella, and Izzy. If you chose to call her Isa, it would be a lot less common.