Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Blighted ovum at 8 weeks...advice/guidance

Hello ladies,

First time pregnancy and really needing guidance...

At 6 weeks, I had an u/s which showed a gestational sac and a yolk sac (according to the tech). She told me upfront that she wasn't going to check for a heartbeat since it was too early and to come back in 2 weeks. The next week I had some brown spotting/discharge, which increased over the week but never turned red or was considered bleeding and no cramping. I called my obgyn and she wanted to see me. At 8w1d, I was told I had a blighted ovum. The u/s tech could see a sac but didn't find anything else (she didn't even try for a heartbeat). Yesterday, my spotting stopped, but the nurse said that was normal. I have most of my pregnancy symptoms (tender, swollen breasts, fatigue) except the nausea isn't nearly as bad as it was a few weeks ago. I go back again on Monday (6/5/17) for another u/s but preparing for the worst.

This is my first pregnancy and my DH (dear husband) and I were shocked to get this news, especially when the first u/s showed promise. Does anyone else have experience with this? Did you wait it out to miscarry naturally or did you take meds/D&C? If you waited, how long did it take?

Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Blighted ovum at 8 weeks...advice/guidance

• Options
    I'm sorry You are going through this.  I've had two losses now and chose to have d & c both times.  For me it was difficult to know that I was carrying around my baby that was no longer living played big on my emotions.  Also I had heard that waiting on natural process can sometimes take awhile.  I'm in my 40s, so I wanted to hurry up with the process so I could heal both physically and emotionally so I could try again asap.  For me the d & c gave me some closure.   You have a few days to process and figure things out, I'm sure you make the decision that's right for you.   My last MC was similar to yours.  I found the waiting in between the two US to be horrible so take care of yourself.  I hope they were wrong but know that people on this board are extremely helpful 
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It definitely helps to know I'm not alone in this. How long did you wait to conceive? Were you successful?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ccm2017  we started trying as soon as period arrived. It took about 6 weeks after the first MC for AF to show up and only 3 weeks after this last MC.  Typically the only reason they ask you to wait until AF is for dating purposes.  You also need to be emotionally and mentally ready to try again.  For me knowing that I could try again helped with the healing process.  *****TW-LC*****  I had a healthy DS in aug 2015, pregnant again June 2016 MC August 2016, pregnant again March 2017 and MC April 2017.  I'm 42 now so we started fertility treatment and are on our 2nd round of IUI.  It took my body a minute to regulate after that first MC but seemed to bounce back quicker this time. Cycle still a couple days longer 31 vs 28 days but better than the 37 days after first MC