Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Whole milk before one year

My son is almost 10 months old and has drank only breastmilk thus far. I am a working mom and pump while I'm away. For some reason my supply has significantly dropped recently and my freezer stash is dwindling. I will not make it to a year. My husband expressed our concerns at my sons 9 month appointment a few weeks ago  and the doctor said to nurse as long as I can but at this point he wouldn't recommend formula, that we can start cows milk whenever I stop producing. Has anyone started their LO on cows milk before a year? I was thinking of maybe mixing some in his bottles while  working to start. I'm afraid I will run out of frozen completely and he will just have to drink it one day. What if he doesn't like it?! 
TTC History:
Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
BFP November 2015
Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

Re: Whole milk before one year

• Options
    smn14smn14 member
    My LO rejects food when teething. When she went on a food strike at 10 months and I had cut my breastfeeding down to morning and evening only, I sought advice from a health visitor. She said to give cow's milk to top her up, even though it was before 12 months. She explained that she has it in her cereal every day, eats yoghurt and cheese and it wouldn't harm her. She was happy to drink it. She wouldn't touch formula! 
  • Options
    My DD is 9.5 months. At her 9m check up last week our pedi was adamant about giving cows milk at 12 months... I know all docs are different but I have always heard to wait until 1 year.
    What if you tried mixing some BM w the supplementation formula, half and half. See what reaction you get and go from there. 

I hope you find a solution and sorry your supply has dipped so low. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    there's no substitute to breastmilk. the best for child and provide strength to babies for years ahead.
    my LO stopped my feed when he turned 3month. then for 1 extra month i kept pumping and feeding him and then my milk supply finished. I fed him formula til 9 month and then switched to cow milk in the last week of 9th month
    So far he is doing good with it!!!