December 2017 Moms

Progesterone Shots?

Sorry for starting a new thread I wasn't sure where to put this question.

I met with my Ob yesterday and he brought up doing Progesterone (McKenna) shots. I had preterm labor (31 weeks) with my twins and he's not sure if my water breaking caused the labor or I was in labor and it caused my water to break. Or was it just because they were twins and there just wasn't enough space in there for them?

I personally feel like it was because I was carrying twins, but I don't know.. my question is anyone else getting weekly progesterone shots? Have you in the past for other pregnancies? Do you think it helped? I'm on the fence whether or not I should do them. He said it was up to me and if it was a single pregnancy prior and I was that preterm he said I would need too, but since it was twins it just kind of changes everything...

thoughts?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Progesterone Shots?

• I did the pio shots with my second because my first was born at 36 weeks. My water broke without any contractions. Because I was really close to the 37th week they said it was my decision. I opted to do them because there was a chance that I would deliver even earlier the second time around. I stopped the shots at 36 weeks and my dd wasn't born until 39+5. I spoke with my new ob about this pregnancy and he agreed that because I wasn't having preterm labor, just broken waters, and that my daughter was on time, he didn't see it as necessary. I'm very relieved to avoid them this time mainly due to cost with my new insurance. The shots really aren't that bad and you can do them at home. I don't know if this was at all helpful :)
  • I have to do them daily and honestly, they're not a big deal. There are some people on YouTube that make a huge production out of them but they are so much easier than the suppositories. Just make sure you don't get any of the liquid on you and if you do wipe it off quickly. It leaves a nasty rash.
  • Loading the player...
  • tmk0325tmk0325 member
    Good to know, thanks ladies! @GraysonsMama how much did yours end up being? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The first time around they were only $60 a month but with our insurance change they would be around $600 a month this go around. 
  • I had to take PIO due to IVF daily until I was 10 weeks. My hips only started to get sore the last couple of weeks. I would guess if they are only once a week you wouldn't even notice. I have Cigna and the PIO was only a $10 copay for 3 vials. I don't know what strength or the difference in the shots you would require.
  • I  did PIO for 11 weeks die to IVF.  My copay was only $5 for 3 vials.  I have Anthem insurance.  My hips started hurting around the 5th week of shots.  I started off taking 2 mL a day, then it was reduced to 1 mL.  I had my last one on Friday and I can't say that I'm sad to see them go. 

****Trigger mentioned****
    Us:  37, 38, unexplained IF
    TTC for the second time
    Married 10/21/12 to my wonderful wife
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science
    since 2/2014

7 IUIs, 1 cancelled due to too many follicles, 6 BFNs.
    IVF #1 & 2 Failed
    IVF #3 20 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized with ICSI, 6 made it to day 5
                 2 blasts transferred 7/17
    Beta #1 7/26 ***BFP*** 144
    Beta #2 7/28 271
    Beta #3 8/4 1972
    8/15 - Officially pregnant with TWINS
    9/1 - Baby B no longer has a heartbeat, Baby A is holding on!
    9/29 - MMC
    Genetic testing revealed Trisomy 15
    Next cycle will be FET without PGS testing. 
    3/27 - FET transferred 2 "excellent" blasts 
    Beta #1 4/5 ***BFP*** 107 (9dp5dt)
    Beta #2 4/7  244  (11dp5dt)
    Beta #3 4/14  2038   (18dp5dt)
    4/25 - Confirmed pregnancy. Baby measured 1 day behind, FHR 132
    5/9 - 2nd U/S - Baby measured one day ahead, FHR 178
    12/21 - Baby Boy born
    12/10 - FET transfered 1 3BB blast
    Beta #1 12/19 - 88
    Beta #2 12/21 - 230
    Beta #3 12/18 - 3066
  • It really is amazing to me how different insurance can be. And even with the same exact thing: last time diclegis cost my $10 a month. My new insurance is trying to charge like $700 a month for the exact same! What the actual hell! Lucky I got some free samples for now ;)
  • Does your insurance have a max out of pocket? They might be charging you the high copays until you hit that.
  • Yeah, we weren't expecting this pregnancy so we picked a high deductible plan. Max out of pocket is $13,000 so that kind of stinks. But baby will be born before the end of the year so that's good. 
  • tmk0325tmk0325 member
    I have not called to look into mine yet, but it sounded like I'd be doing them once a week from 16 weeks til like 30 something weeks... I honestly just am on the fence. I really feel like it's because I had twins I went so early, but I guess you just never know.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread, but I didn't want to start a whole new one when this topic was already discussed. I think I'm several weeks behind many of you, and I have to make this decision now. 

@GraysonsMama My situation is similar to yours. My DS was born at just over 36w when my water broke, no signs of labor before that. In fact, they still had to use Pitocin to get things going because it wasn't happening on its own, and I was only 1cm when water broke.  So my OB offered it as an option but said she wasn't sure how much it would help since I was so "borderline" before. Even being almost technically full term, he still spent a week in the NICU. I'm just worried if it happened again, and/or earlier, it could be worse. Or maybe it was a fluke and wouldn't happen again. I'm so torn on what to do and need to decide fairly soon.  Any thoughts?

Me: 36  DH: 41
    DS: 07/03/11
    TTC #2: July 2016
    BFP: 4/19/17 EDD: 12/31/17
  • @alysapuggles I had to have pitocin as well but we didn't have a nicu. For me I was so worried about doing something stupid and jeopardizing my baby's health that I agree. I feel more comfortable this time because I've never had any preterm labor (besides broken water). Plus the day I had my son they had 3 other women come in with broken waters and no contractions. There had been a significant pressure drop in the weather and I think that may have been the reason. Lol. My advice would be to speak to your ob again and do whatever gives you the most peace. If you opt to do the shots they really aren't that bad. Just a little annoying. I hope that's helpful :)
  • I hadn't the paperwork filled out to see if my insurance covers them and they do. My Ob seems to recommend them so I think I'm probably going to do them. I don't want another 31 weeker (or earlier) so if this helps then I guess I will do it. I still feel that mine happened because there were two but I guess I'll never really know!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for your input. I'm leaning toward doing the shots. FX for no crazy side effects!

Me: 36  DH: 41
    DS: 07/03/11
    TTC #2: July 2016
    BFP: 4/19/17 EDD: 12/31/17