November 2017 Moms
Options

FTM Questions for STMs+ 5/9

12346»

Re: FTM Questions for STMs+ 5/9

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I don't have cats but I have dogs and I read somewhere to have DH bring a baby blanket or onsie or something that smells like the baby to your pet so they can have some time to sniff it out and get used to your baby's smell. (Really only applies if you will be in the hospital) When we brought DD2 home our dog really didn't care at all, sniffed her and was just happy we were all home. 
  • Options
    @av2323 Agreed with Duchess. In that case maybe a baby was too much stress for your kitty, and it's great that you are keeping up with her still. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The pet convo is making me super sad. We aren't having any luck fixing the peeing issue. We are actually at the vet right now (again, already spent over $400 trying to fix this with vet) a last ditch effort. I am beside myself bc we can't have them peeing all over when the baby comes.  We have tried every suggest given to us. We've had our one cat for 17 yrs and the other for 9.  I hate to rehome them but I am quickly running out of options. They already destroyed our carper, baseboards and couch.   :( 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jess0211 I'm so sorry you're going through that :( That's so so hard. You're definitely going above and beyond trying to keep your kitties, but I'm with you, can't have cats peeing all over your home. It's just not possible to live like that.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge we have a small dog. One thing to keep in mind is that you're not bringing home a walking, talking, loud one year old that will go after th cat. I was worried about it too, even though our dog is good with kids, i was worried with how she would do with one all the time. The first day we brought him home, she was sad, but then she sniffed him and started following him (whoever was carrying him) around the house. Now, they are best buddies and they play tug of war and throw/chase balls together.
  • Options
    @jess0211 I'm guessing since you already took your cat to the vet twice this has been checked....but one time my dog kept going on the floor and we took her to the vet and she had a UTI... just something to look into if they haven't already checked. 
  • Options
    ineedsixeggsineedsixeggs member
    edited May 2017
    @jess0211 What all has your vet tested for? 

ETA: Don't answer if I'm being too nosy.  :#
  • Options
    @ooodalollly literally everything. I don't know all the specific tests but I do know yesterday the vet commented that they have pretty much done every test possible. They are having us try litter attractant now. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jess0211 Spending $700 for inconclusive results must be so frustrating. I know you mentioned your cat is older, so have they ruled out incontinence issues? Has your vet recommended a kidney health diet? Really hoping the litter attractant works out for you!
  • Options
    @jess0211 I'm sure you've tried everything already but our cat still needs to be encouraged to go #2. We just lock him in the bathroom until he goes and then he gets a treat after. For whatever reason, specifically pooing in the toilet is not sticking. He'll just hold it if we don't lock him in and then at some point he can't hold it in anymore and goes somewhere annoying. Sometimes DH has to be in there with him and scratch at the pan (we have a roasting pan with a big hole in it and some litter because he still needs to scratch it) to show him what he's trying to get him to do.

That's really so hard though, you can only spend so much money and have so much of your home ruined :(

• Options
    ineedsixeggsineedsixeggs member
    edited May 2017
    I had an older cat with a lot of health issues when my first was born. He ended up losing a lot of his freedom once the due date neared because we just couldn't have him getting into any baby stuff. But he didn't seem to mind because he wasn't super mobile or active anymore anyway. However, working for the vet certainly made the cost of it all less of an issue for us. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!
  • Options
    @jess0211 My IL's dog keeps having peeing problems. Part of it was helped by changing his diet and the rest they can't do much because he's just struggling with old age. They have to take him out more often. Cats are harder since you don't walk them!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    BayCampBayCamp member
    I'll ageee with what @TeacherMama7 said. My dogs would have freaked if we suddenly had a toddler running around, but since he started small and sleepy they adjusted pretty well. 

We have 2 dogs and it's crazy how differently they reacted to him. My older dog immediately appointed herself as his protector and the other generally ignored him. At 2 1/2 they still pretty much have those roles except I will catch the more aloof one snuggling with him in the middle of the night. 
  • Options
    Mine was pretty colicky, so the noise and lack of sleeping really disturbed my pets at first. Once we got some solutions going they warmed up a lot quicker, but my dogs were the same way. 

The one I was worried about being too crazy suddenly became so sweet and gentle with her, always coming to sit by her when she was upset. The one I expected to be more friendly ended up being more standoffish but has warmed up to her as she's gotten older. 
  • Options
    I can't remember if this was asked already,  but when should I start interviewing pediatricians?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    pawcallpawcall member
    For those with cats, how did your cats react to baby? Did they care?
    One didn't care, the other was MISERABLE and peed all over everything he could. The feliway plug ins helped and we eventually put him on anxiety meds for the first 6 months or so. 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    @pawcall really hope mine either loves Baby or doesn't care, do not want peeing!

• Options
    pawcallpawcall member
    Oh man it was awful. He kept peeing on the baby gear and I have NO patience for pee. I had to throw out two rock n plays  :s
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    @pawcall ugh this is my biggest fear and we already have peeing issues

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jess0211 anytime in the third tri. I did it around 35 w or so last time. Proximity to your house is a key factor because when your baby is sick you don't want to have to drive far!