September 2017 Moms
Options

Tylenol Cold Varieties

First, I'm so sorry if I'm not supposed to be making a new thread about this.  I didn't really think it fit in any of the existing, and nothing came up when I searched.

Has anyone been given the okay to take Tylenol Cold / Cold & Flu / Cold Max / Cold & Sinus / Etc by your care provider?  It's on the no-no list, per Dr. Google, but the NP who called me back Tuesday regarding what I can take (trying hard to avoid a sinus infection) said Tylenol Cold varieties are perfectly fine in the second trimester.  Not feeling 100% comfortable with that, but I'm getting desperate and really not wanting to end up on antibiotics.

Re: Tylenol Cold Varieties

• Options
    The list my OB's office gave me only says that sudafed is ok for congestion and robitussin is ok for a cough.
  • Options
    If you are looking for a natural solution I have been using an oregano oil and saline nasal spray.  It is a bit pricey I think around $20 for a small bottle but life changing if you are sick or have allergies.  Oregano oil will help clear an infection or keep one away ;) It stings the nostrils a bit but you will get used to it.  Hope you feel better soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take a combo of Tylenol + phenylephrine  (sudafed). Only when my sinus headaches are unbearable though. It's on my approved list from the doctor.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    I was told to not take any cold medicine that is multi-symptom and max stuff. I had a really bad sore throat that turned into a sinus infection for 3 weeks. I used the throat spray that you don't swallow. I also used arm&hammer simply saline for the nose, cough drops,  and breath right strips at night. 

However if your doctor cleared something for you then I'd take it. I only went as med free as possible because my only option here was wait weeks for an appointment to get something from my doctor or go to the ER. I wasn't dying, so I toughed it out.  
  • Options
    klcarr19 said:
    You need to call your doctor to verify. I got a different list for this pregnancy than I did my first one. I am not a medical professional and would feel really bad giving faulty advice. Any medication questions should go straight to a nurse or doctor in the OBs office. The regulations are changing frequently 
    @klcarr19  Thanks for your opinion on who I should seek medical advice from. If you read my OP though, I explain that I have already spoken to my doctors office and have been given their medical advice, which is to go ahead and take it.  My question is not "should I take medication and what is your opinion on taking it", it is whether or not anyone else has been told it's okay by their OB office.
  • Options
    I was told to not take any cold medicine that is multi-symptom and max stuff. I had a really bad sore throat that turned into a sinus infection for 3 weeks. I used the throat spray that you don't swallow. I also used arm&hammer simply saline for the nose, cough drops,  and breath right strips at night. 

However if your doctor cleared something for you then I'd take it. I only went as med free as possible because my only option here was wait weeks for an appointment to get something from my doctor or go to the ER. I wasn't dying, so I toughed it out.  
    @Ae_Lovely321  Do you think the A&H simply saline helps?  I almost picked some up yesterday.  I'm toughing it out so far, but man, I don't want to end up on antibiotics  :(
  • Options
    Sprite2012Sprite2012 member
    edited May 2017
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    klcarr19 said:
    @Sprite2012 I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. I just know things vary from doctor to Doctor and pregnancy to pregnancy.  I just know how specific some doctors are. Just giving you what I know from my Doctor. If it helps I took tylonol Cold with my first and she was healthy. However my doctors this time said that's a no no and I didn't ask why. 
    @klcarr19  Thanks for following up.  I didn't get a list of approved meds with my first, but never needed to take anything.  I got a vague list this time around, and had to call for clarification.  It's confusing when you get different versions of approved meds from different places, then you're told it's fine.  I just wondered if anyone else had been told the same as me.  That was my only intent on this thread.
  • Options
    Sprite2012Sprite2012 member
    edited May 2017
    LOL.  Good come back.
  • Options
    @Sprite2012 not a comeback as you never said anything to me. Just an observation. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    JNR6510JNR6510 member
    awildrose said:
    Let's call a time out here. Geez. There was nothing wrong with posting this. There was nothing snarky or mean about @klcarr19's comment. But the reaction to that was quite dramatic. Everyone back to your corners and chill please. 
    Seriously! Bitch mode deactivate. 

Ask for advice and you get advice. Maybe it's not the advice you want to hear; maybe it is. No need to throw down.
  • Options
    JNR6510JNR6510 member
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like I want to throw a pan of brownies or something into this thread and run!

BTW - I had a bad cold in my first trimester that was headed into sinus infection territory. I never took a combo medicine, but did take Mucinex and Tylenol separately per my Dr's advice. I started with Sudafed instead of Mucinex, but it wasn't cutting it, so my doctor switched me.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Options

This thread has been closed to new posts due to the change in topic. Continuing to create threads related to this topic will be grounds for warning and/or removal from The Bump Community.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit the Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"