February 2017 Moms
Options

May Randoms

It's already May! Time is flying
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: May Randoms

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Omg @SawyerRichardson I love it! She's too cute!!! And she has such a happy smile <3  My sister did pictures of her kids dressed as Sully, Boo one year when her kids were both super young. And i like the movies lol how is tummy time going? Austin just started tolerating it for a few minutes, but he still doesn't like it for very long unless he's on our chests (sleeping lol). I'm sad the board has died so much too. I thought a few of our old regular weekly threads would still get a lot of attention, but they didn't. I tried thinking of stuff to engage more response, but with not much luck. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Aww your sisters pictures sound adorable! 

Tummy time is doing better. If I catch her in a good mood she will doing it for a good couple minutes. But if she isn't in that great mood she gets really sad the second I put her on it. I think it might be because her mat is on the hardwood. I need to put it on a rug and see if a little extra cushioning makes it more comfortable.

Have you (or anyone) taken LO on a long car trip? In 2 weeks we are driving from Atlanta up to Chicago for a graduation then to Michigan to see family. I'm super nervous about the long drive. We are breaking it up into two days, so 5 hours each day. But she gets so hot in the car seat. I got a clip on fan to help cool her down. I'm sure it won't be too bad, but if it is I can't imagine being in a car with a screaming baby for 10 hours total. 
  • Options
    Tummy time for you sounds like ours. I take this thick fleece blanket and fold it twice (quartered) to put him on it. Sometimes he'll talk and kick in a good way, and sometimes he skips straight to screaming lol.

We have only gone 1 hour away with Austin. We'll be going about 11 hours away in July. I'm hoping by then he's sleeping most of the night and we can just drive while he's sleeping. We did take our oldest on a 9 hour drive when he was about 2 months. I can't remember how well he liked it, but I do know he peed through, and it was awful. We took a grocery bag and used it to line his seat since we were still driving and didn't have anywhere to wash the seat padding. I think breaking it up into 2 five hour days is smart, and will be easier on you. I told my husband that when we do our trip in July, to be prepared to make a bunch of extra stops. I don't like that Austin will be in a car seat for such a long time. So far we are lucky though because he doesn't mind the car seat. I'll end up riding in the back a bunch lol. Does Senna like car rides? I hope the fan helps keep her cool for the ride. :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ColeBug89ColeBug89 member
    edited May 2017
    She is too cute @SawyerRichardson

Add me to the sad the board is dead camp! I would love to participate more but I just don't have anything to add usually lol. We are in our work/day care routine and nothing interesting or unique had been going on lol.

We will be taking an 8 hour trip in June. I don't have any advice or tips, but if anyone has any good tips or tricks I would love to know!

The farthest away from home Ella has been is 45 minutes and that was last weekend. She loves riding in the car, so I don't see that being an issue. We are traveling with a large group (my parents and two other families - friends of the family) so we will definitely be making a lot of pit stops and pee breaks lol.

ETA - Just had another thought. Does anyone else suffer from seasonal allergies? My allergies have been killing me the past few days and I can't take any meds because I'm afraid they will dry up my supply. Does anyone have any other remedies for allergies?
  • Options
    I'm sad this board is dead too. 

@kswiger06 it was so hard packing away his nb and 3mo clothes. Sadly we're getting close to moving up to 9mo. I'm hoping we've got a few weeks left but we'll see!

Rid doesn't mind tummy time for a few min. He seems to be getting better at lifting his head but not better at staying on his tummy for longer. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    chef'swifechef'swife member
    edited May 2017
    @ColeBug89 I have horrible seasonal allergies. I take a Zyrtec and Flonase daily with no supply issues.   Add me to the sad camp!  
  • Options
    Thanks @chef'swife! I used to take Zyrtec so I may have to try it again!
  • Options
    @ColeBug89 I have horrible seasonal allergies. I take a Zyrtec and Flonase daily with no supply issues.   Add me to the sad camp!  
    @ColeBug89 I'm on this same combo and no supply issues!
  • Options
    kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited May 2017

@kswiger06 it was so hard packing away his nb and 3mo clothes. Sadly we're getting close to moving up to 9mo. I'm hoping we've got a few weeks left but we'll see!

Rid doesn't mind tummy time for a few min. He seems to be getting better at lifting his head but not better at staying on his tummy for longer. 
    9 months!! Oh my, is he long or just big in general? 
     Edit... I had something specific to say but I forgot lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @lfrank12! I'm going to have to get some Zyrtec, I'm tired of feeling miserable lol
  • Options
    Oh be careful of Zyrtec.  Here and there is fine but my allergist had me taking it daily for a year and when I stopped when I became pregnant I had the worst withdrawals.  Google it it's a thing.  Now I take Claritin as needed.  

Anyone else Lise not bf and still no AF?
  • Options
    I keep meaning to post, but then my attention is needed elsewhere.

I'm sad the board is dead too. I don't really have anything to say. I love my LO and treasure every milestone.

We haven't driven far yet, but we will several times this summer. A few weekend trips to see family up north and the. A cross country road trip from MI to UT. I'm interested in talking about road tripping with a baby (frequency of stops, how a baby sleeping in the car all day fairs in a hotel, etc).

I have seasonal allergies but they haven't been too bad yet. 

Not bf, but af has come a couple of times.
  • Options
    I guess I'll be the guinea pig for the long road trip and let you guys know how it goes! Senna does like car rides, but if she gets hot then it's all over from there..
  • Options
    kswiger06 said:

9 months!! Oh my, is he long or just big in general? 
     Edit... I had something specific to say but I forgot lol
    He's pretty much just big. He's in the high 90th percentiles for everything. His legs are long so everything with legs built in are tight. Onsies will prob be fine for a while. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    Oh be careful of Zyrtec.  Here and there is fine but my allergist had me taking it daily for a year and when I stopped when I became pregnant I had the worst withdrawals.  Google it it's a thing.  Now I take Claritin as needed.  

Anyone else Lise not bf and still no AF?
    Oh really? My allergist put my on Zyrtec when pregnant since my other prescription was no longer safe and I've been on it since. She told me to stay on it at my checkup last month. What kind of withdrawal symptoms did you have?
  • Options
    Question: my DH keeps thinking DS is eating too often that he's not getting enough calories and needs to have rice cereal to supplement. We exclusively formula feed (Similac) and keep track of feedings (and diaper changes) via an app on our phones. I think DS is fine on formula. He's 14 weeks today and eats about 28-30oz a day, mostly 4-6 oz per feeding, about 2-4 hours apart but as long as 6 hours during the night. My in-laws and parents think we should add rice cereal too. 

Of course we'll double check with our pedi, but I wanted to poll/ask the peanut gallery, is 3 months too early for rice cereal? Are my in-laws and family just passing along advice that is just not how things are done now? Am I hesitant for no reason?

thanks!
  • Options
    @purplewriter-2 I would go by what the pedi says. I'm a FTM so no experience but from talking to people it sounds like a lot of ppl start solids a little to early. If your gut is telling you he's ok then he probably is. If he seems satisfied by what he's getting and is growing fine then he most likely is just fine. Also 4-6 oz doesn't sound like that much. I've heard of babies eating 8oz so if he wasn't getting calories I bet he'd eat more. I feel like I wouldn't worry about frequency as much as if he were downing 8 oz and still didn't seem satisfied. But again FTM so I'd listen to the pedi over inlaws/parents. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    Another FTM here, but here is my experience so far...I EP and supplement with formula as needed. DD gets 5oz of breastmilk or 4oz of formula (Similac) and seems content. She just had her 4 month check up last week. Even with being a preemie, her Dr gave us the go-ahead to start rice cereal. However, I am choosing to wait closer to 5-6 months to start it. DH's cousin has a baby that's only 5 months older than DD and started her LO on rice cereal closer to 2-3 months. In my opinion, I feel that is too early, but then again I'm not a medical doctor. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited May 2017
    @purplewriter-2

I personally think it sounds like your LO is eating "normal". Austin just went through a phase where he was eating 4+ oz. Every 2 hours and I wasn't able to keep up from pumping and I had to bust into my freezer stash a couple times. Then suddenly he stopped and is eating 4 ish oz every 4-5 hours. I was worried at first since he had such a sudden change, but I weigh him at home and he's gaining weight and is happy, so I just go with it. 

My dad suggested I give Austin cereal in his bottles at night to get him to sleep longer through the night (we are lucky to get a 4 hour stretch) but our pediatrician said not to give cereal until after his 4 month check up. My husband just suggested it today to get him to sleep longer too, but I'm the one who gets up, and I do it, so I said no.

We did however give our first kid cereal in his bottles starting at 2+ months. I really don't remember why, but it was probably from a suggestion from family. We didn't have any complications with him from it, but I still have no plans to give it to Austin until after his Dr says to start. I know you said you would double check with the Dr, and a quick call would be easy, but if your son is happy and gaining, I think he's fine. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Question: my DH keeps thinking DS is eating too often that he's not getting enough calories and needs to have rice cereal to supplement. We exclusively formula feed (Similac) and keep track of feedings (and diaper changes) via an app on our phones. I think DS is fine on formula. He's 14 weeks today and eats about 28-30oz a day, mostly 4-6 oz per feeding, about 2-4 hours apart but as long as 6 hours during the night. My in-laws and parents think we should add rice cereal too. 

Of course we'll double check with our pedi, but I wanted to poll/ask the peanut gallery, is 3 months too early for rice cereal? Are my in-laws and family just passing along advice that is just not how things are done now? Am I hesitant for no reason?

thanks!
    Cora will be 16 weeks tomorrow & is eff. We do 6oz, 5 times a day & she sleeps between 8-10 hours at night so has a long stretch then. Sometimes she will take all 6oz but more often will only take 4-5oz. 
    Here they say you can start on rice cereal etc from 4 months but i dont think shes quite ready. Each baby is different & you know youre own baby best. If you feel hes ready then give it a go but if not leave it a little while longer. As long as hes gaining & having plenty of wet/dirty nappies then i wouldnt be too concerned.
  • Options
    Glad to see some posts on here! And glad to see about the amount/frequency of feedings because Wyatt started sleeping through the night 2 weeks ago and I was concerned he wasn't getting enough during the day.

Question: he has a bit of a stuffy nose which resulted in him not sleeping well last night - he can breathe :(. Is there something we can/should give him to help? The snot sucker isn't getting everything. He's 10 weeks by the way.
  • Options
    Glad to see some posts on here! And glad to see about the amount/frequency of feedings because Wyatt started sleeping through the night 2 weeks ago and I was concerned he wasn't getting enough during the day.

Question: he has a bit of a stuffy nose which resulted in him not sleeping well last night - he can breathe :(. Is there something we can/should give him to help? The snot sucker isn't getting everything. He's 10 weeks by the way.
    Maybe try a vaporizer, and put the head of his bed at a slight incline. The last I heard was to get a small angled pillow/sponge and put under the mattress, or lift the legs by putting a board under them. I'm not sure about any kind of medication though. I hope he clears up soon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We used Little Remedies saline nasal spray at the rec of our NICU nurses to clear some congestion in Harrison's nose due to a little fluids  staying in his nasal feeding tube between feeds. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I'll look into both! Unfortunately he work up with a little tiny bit of a goopy eye..... And a baby at his daycare had conjunctivitis soooo I'm not happy. We will probably go in to peds tomorrow and see if it's viral or bacterial :(
  • Options
    I don't have any advice but I hope he feels better soon @jlellis603!
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    @jlellis603 we use saline drops up the nose when cora is congested, usually a big gunky sneeze follows
  • Options
    @SawyerRichardson WAY late to the party, but we did an 8 hour road trip in early April (Elliott was just barely 2 months old). On the way there, we drove through the day and he slept pretty much the whole time. One of us was in the backseat with him the whole time just in case, but he seemed pretty happy to sleep as long as the sun wasn't in his eyes. When we got there, his sleep cycle was TOTALLY thrown off, so we drove through the night on the way home. He slept like a champ again, and it was like a regular "night-time" for him, so it didn't screw up the rest of his sleep. I'd definitely suggest driving at night if at all possible :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! I read it, but forgot to respond. 

We use saline line spray when DS was congested. Our pedi recommended a humidifier as well. He got conjunctivitis while going through the birth canal and had eye drops for awhile. All is well now.
  • Options
    Aww that's great! I'll have to go check it out.
  • Options
    @jab3-2 I was thinking about you over the weekend!!! <3   :) Since we talked about the LOs sharing a birthday, I wondered what you and sawyerrichardson were doing on their 3 month date. I'm so happy to see you still check in! That's great to hear that you and your family are doing well. How's the baby? I hope we see you in here more often again, as you get more settled into your new routines in your new place. I hope your kids have fun with all that bowling! I thought it sounded pretty neat and fun, I'm glad you checked it out, it should provide some entertainment and fun over the summer. I know my kids are excited for it.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats @jab3-2! Such great news for your family :)
  • Options
    jab3-2jab3-2 member
    @lfrank12 and @kswiger06, thank you both!

@kswiger06, thanks for thinking of me and my family! Baby Evie is doing good, she loves to smile and try to "talk." She is very cuddly so I'm trying to enjoy that as much as I can.

When I do the baby voice for her, my 4 year old glares at me and says "you don't talk to me in that voice anymore so you don't love me anymore." She admits to feeling jealous and she's very sweet to the baby though so that's good.

They better have some love for each other because they will be sharing a room, but at least it's a good size one. This place is a 3 bedroom so my son lucked out as the oldest and only boy on getting his own room. My sis and I shared a tiny room growing up and we loved it so here's hoping my girls will be the same. 

The bowling thing sounds like so much fun for them, thanks! How are you and your family doing? Are your older two enjoying their baby brother?
  • Options
    @jab3-2 I'm so glad things are looking up for you!

@kswiger06 Senna didn't have a very fun 3 month day. She is getting sick so we've just been doing a lot of snot sucking! :(  I hope Austin is doing well!
  • Options
    @jab3-2 so delighted for you that youre in a better place & situation now! 
  • Options
    jab3-2jab3-2 member
    Thanks @janefelicity! How have you been and how is Cora doing? 

@SawyerRichardson I hope Senna feels better soon!
  • Options
    @jab3-2 were doing great, Cora is getting so big & is loads of fun now shes really starting to develop her own little personality.