July 2017 Moms
Options

Randoms May 1-7

124»

Re: Randoms May 1-7

• Options
    BusyZee said:
    @plumpous the occobaby has mixed reviews, some reviews say it's Loud and has no suction others say it's the best thing ever ...how do you compare it to the Bulbs?.. 
    I don't know what the Bulbs are but I can say that I don't mind any noise and DD is quite amused by it. It vibrates a little and we poke her tummy with it for giggles. As for suction, it is very good but sometimes you need saline beforehand and sometimes you gotta get the angle just right in the nostril. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Katie______Katie______ member
    edited May 2017
    @GlitterFish  and @BusyZee

Thanks for checking in!!!
    Hi ladies!  I had many weeks of like 60 hours in M-W and then more hours thursday, friday, and the weekend....and travel!  Ugh.  But now travel is over. I posted to the facebook in late April....yah last flight pre baby, then had one more. I think the craziness of work travel is now over (no more travel for work drs orders). I have missed you gals. The baby is awesome...except maybe big and still in my belly where it should be!  This weekend, we move into our new home- yah for first time home buyers, boo for organizing vendors and painting-and I have a baby shower at my husband's work tomorrow and then wirh my MIL and Mom and a couple local girlfriends this weekend!  Wheeew! I am excited for life to settle a bit, but driving between MD and VA (we live in one and are moving to the other) has been all consuming + work travel. Maybe it's just everything, but also so excited for post shower to buy the rest of the baby gear + post partum stuff!

How are both of you lovelies? I am sorry I have missed sooooo much!
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    @Katie______
    thanks for the update, and congrats, and so glad your doing well:) enjoy the showers! 

Truly random: I feel like crying because of my craving right now. For the past two hours all I can think about is yum yums and prawn crackers and that too from a particular store. I'm waiting for my sister in England to wake up so I can ask her if she can do something for me... sisters can always make something happen, right? 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    @AdaByron Lol I usually use my feet to pick up stuff, and then lift my leg backwards and pick it from the back! 
  • Options
    @BusyZee
    I hope so! :)
  • Options
    LM1007LM1007 member
    I never knew you should store tomatos on the counter opposed to the fridge. I've always put them in the fridge.. 
  • Options
    LM1007 said:
    I never knew you should store tomatos on the counter opposed to the fridge. I've always put them in the fridge.. 
    wait, what?! Then tomatoes have been stored incorrectly my whole life!!

I wonder what other questionable storage choices I've made...or if the way I was taught is just wrong haha.
  • Options
    @LM1007 I found this out recently too, but I can't bring myself to stop. After 20 odd years of thinking tomatoes go in the fridge I just can't break the habit. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    cielaw89 said:
    LM1007 said:

I wonder what other questionable storage choices I've made...or if the way I was taught is just wrong haha.
    Butter should definitely be left out too!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    LM1007LM1007 member
    @cielaw89  @kerils  
    Yeah other than it being said its supposed to preserve the taste, I really don't know why the carton of tomatos say do not refrigerate. I read that and had to look it up, as if there was a bigger reason.. I cut my tomatoes and put it back in the fridge. 
  • Options
    cielaw89 said:
    LM1007 said:

I actually just did a little research on this, because I was having an argument about that with a friend.  Butter can be left out, but only if it will be used within a few days.  After that it can go rancid.
  • Options
    A colleague I used to work with keeps her eggs in the pantry (she gets them from a farm, not the grocery store) and she says as long as you put them in water to make sure they sink they're fine. Usually 3-5 day shelf life. Remind me to never eat anything she makes. 
  • Options
    Even if you don't *need* to refrigerate them, no way am I eating butter or eggs that have been left out for days. The thought even makes me feel queasy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will say non refrigerated butter spreads a billion times easier though! Lol 
  • Options
    I will say non refrigerated butter spreads a billion times easier though! Lol 
    Exactly! My husband refrigerates it and gets frustrated when I leave it on the counter. 
  • Options
    XathXath member
    A colleague I used to work with keeps her eggs in the pantry (she gets them from a farm, not the grocery store) and she says as long as you put them in water to make sure they sink they're fine. Usually 3-5 day shelf life. Remind me to never eat anything she makes. 
    That's the norm here.  Eggs are stocked on the shelf in the grocery store and folks don't refrigerate them.   Their shelf life is just as long as refrigerated eggs you get in the US.  This article does a pretty good job of explaining the why/how.  https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt

"In some European countries, egg-laying hens are vaccinated against salmonella. In the U.S., vaccination is not required, but eggs must be washed and refrigerated from farm to store, and producers must follow a host of other safety measures.

"They're different approaches to basically achieve the same result," says Vincent Guyonnet, a poultry veterinarian and scientific adviser to the International Egg Commission. "We don't have massive [food safety] issues on either side of the Atlantic. Both methods seem to work.""

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    cielaw89 said:
    LM1007 said:

I actually just did a little research on this, because I was having an argument about that with a friend.  Butter can be left out, but only if it will be used within a few days.  After that it can go rancid.
    This happened to me last summer.  A stick of butter fell behind our microwave and for weeks I couldn't find the source of the smell in my kitchen.  This also coincided with when our air conditioner went out during a heat wave.  Let's just say butter stays in the fridge now unless I'm baking.   
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options
    cielaw89 said:
    LM1007 said:

My in-laws store their butter on the counter and it concerned me because my parents always taught us to store the butter in the fridge, but then I realized how quickly my in-laws go through butter. We go through a stick of butter every 3-5 days, sometimes faster, so I'm no longer bothered by it haha. 

What about bread? My parents raised us storing bread in the fridge, but my in-laws store ALL of their breads on the counter. (I really need to find a place for all the bread in this house lol)
  • Options
    @cielaw89 As far as I know, bread just lasts longer in the fridge but can be stored however you prefer. I personally do the coumter cause I dont like cold bread. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)