June 2017 Moms

Appointments - Week of 4/24

13»

Re: Appointments - Week of 4/24

• shmarpler said:
    My midwife came for a home visit yesterday, which was awesome. And good news- he's head down! So that was a big relief. 
    She did give me a little scare though, she told me she was feeling kicks on my right hip and my left ribs and asked if I had had an ultrasound. Thought for a minute we were having a twin scare, but when I told her we've had 3 scans she said he must just have long arms! Lol

Are you planning a home birth?
    No, we considered it, but I hemorrhaged last time so they suggested hospital and it seems like a better idea in my case.  I wish I could though! 
  • shmarpler said:
    My midwife came for a home visit yesterday, which was awesome. And good news- he's head down! So that was a big relief. 
    She did give me a little scare though, she told me she was feeling kicks on my right hip and my left ribs and asked if I had had an ultrasound. Thought for a minute we were having a twin scare, but when I told her we've had 3 scans she said he must just have long arms! Lol

No, we considered it, but I hemorrhaged last time so they suggested hospital and it seems like a better idea in my case.  I wish I could though! 
    But your midwife still does home visits? That's awesome! Scary about the hemorrhage. That would make me nervous as well.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Loading the player...
  • shmarpler said:
    shmarpler said:

But your midwife still does home visits? That's awesome! Scary about the hemorrhage. That would make me nervous as well.
    Yup! Not always, but she likes to do a few just so she's used to our house a little bit. This one wasn't planned, but I guess her client lived down the road from us had her baby the night before so she just decided to visit us both instead of having me go to her. 
    She does home visits after the birth for a few weeks to make sure we are taking it easy, checks on the baby a little, and does lactation consulting too. I think 95% of her clients have home births so they just treat us all the same but baby comes out at a hospital instead. She said it will be relaxed and feel like a home birth unless something goes wrong of course.
    its pretty awesome! I feel quite spoiled this time
  • shmarpler said:
    shmarpler said:

Yup! Not always, but she likes to do a few just so she's used to our house a little bit. This one wasn't planned, but I guess her client lived down the road from us had her baby the night before so she just decided to visit us both instead of having me go to her. 
    She does home visits after the birth for a few weeks to make sure we are taking it easy, checks on the baby a little, and does lactation consulting too. I think 95% of her clients have home births so they just treat us all the same but baby comes out at a hospital instead. She said it will be relaxed and feel like a home birth unless something goes wrong of course.
    its pretty awesome! I feel quite spoiled this time

That is so great! We planned to have DD at home, but it didn't work out that way. My midwife still did all of my follow up visits at my house, and it was so much easier! Plus, she did my newborn checks.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • danij0 said:
    And this whole time I thought it was just another blood test...  :s
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • huzzahuzzahuzzahuzza member
    edited May 2017
    I had my 32 week apt today. Everything is measuring right on track and it's all good. My doc is going on vacation for a week and a half so she tried to ease any fears I had but I don't really have any... well about her being gone anyway.
  • Adding to the GBS comments - With DS when I was tested around 36 weeks it came back negative and they told me I was all set. When my water broke the night before my due date they retested me at the hospital and it came back positive so they gave me antibiotics through an IV. Has this happened for anyone else? I'm nervous because I'm with a new OB and hospital that do not double check at the hospital.
  • @email2ash I clearly haven't had any experience with that (FTM) but I would suggest mentioning that story with your new OB and expressing your concern over it happening again. Who knows, maybe she will check at the hospital to help ease your mind!  :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @BellaO21 I did ask at my appt yesterday and that's when she told me the hospital doesn't check again. She said the test company this hospital uses would not have access to a rapid check anyways and it would take 48 hrs to get the results back. She said my test at 36 weeks through their office should be accurate so I'm hoping that she is right!
  • danij0danij0 member
    @email2ash I don't know how worried you are, but I'm assuming you'll have weekly appointments so maybe you can have another test at a later appointment in addition to the week 36 appointment?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • At my appointment today, the baby is back down to measuring right on with my weeks.

Has anyone else had all over the place fundal measurements? This baby has been +2, +1, 0, +1, 0, +2, 0 at my last appointments. I understand that fundal height is affected by all sorts of things and it's not an exact science, but this just seems really all over the place. 

I really like my midwifery, but I have seen a lot more midwives than they originally said. They originally said you typically see 1-2 midwives pretty frequently and another 1-2 on occasion over the course of all your appointments. But I've seen every single midwife at the practice plus the apprentices (accompanied by another midwife) over the course of my pregnancy (seven total). I don't really have a problem with this per se, as I like and have been comfortable with all of them, but I do wonder if my measurements would be more consistent if I'd seen fewer midwives. I wish I could have all of the midwives measure me separately at one appointment to see if there's any differences among them. 

I'm thinking about leaving some feedback on their survey afterwards along those lines. 
  • KB00KB00 member
    I completely forgot about GBS test until this post! It's so quick but so awkward. Blah. 

I had my appointment yesterday. Everything went really well - normal weight gain for the week (finally!), strong HB and measuring on track. But at the end he told me that my blood pressure was high again. It was high at the last appt as well. I had pre-eclampsia with my last pregnancy and had to go on best rest at 36 weeks and had a c-section at 37 weeks because induction failed. He sent me for labs and said if labs or my BP comes back abnormal or high, he is taking me out of work. 

Im a teacher, and testing is over and I have at least two weeks of PTO so it wouldn't be the worst thing (4 weeks unpaid) but I'd miss out on all the fun end of the year activities with my kids. And we worked so hard this year, we definitely earned some fun. But, of course, baby first. And I can't lie, being home for a few weeks and spoiling my son for the last few weeks of him being an only child sounds pretty amazing. 
  • KB00KB00 member
    Are all of these growth scans normal? I had them weekly toward the end with my twins, but I haven't had an ultrasound since my a/s and won't have another one. 
    With my son, I had pre-e so I had weekly scans like you did with your twins. But at my last ultrasound at 28 weeks, they said the baby looks good so I won't have anymore. I was used to getting to see the baby so often with my first pregnancy so I wa so sad when they said I didn't need anymore. Although, obviously, I was so relieved to have a perfectly healthy baby. I can't imaginge how some moms-to-be only have NT scan and A/S and that's it. Never feels like enough lol
  • Mport90Mport90 member
    Has anyone requested a final ultrasound to check baby/placenta/fluid at all ? I really want to at this apt, but feel dumb as I know it's not just done upon request...
  • @lovesclimbing I was measuring right on track, and then the last 2 appointments I have been measuring a week or two ahead, so they are going to do a growth ultrasound. I would think the different midwives could explain why they are different. My OB has measured me twice a few times and got different results just from that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a nurse visit today to check on my blood pressure.  First result was 133/94, then I rested laying down and it was 122/80.  My 24 hour urine test results came back as 255 which I guess is a passingly number, and they were satisfied with the urine sample I gave in the office.  I was able to go back home and am continuing bedrest!  I was very happy because I thought for sure they were going to send me back to L&D for a NST and more blood work.  I just need to send them my blood pressure readings every few days and watch for pre-e signs.  So lots of rest for me and no appointment until next Friday at 35 weeks!  Feeling much more optimistic now about everything than this morning.  At least my hospital bag is all packed now too!
    DD: born August 2014
    BFP #2: 10/10/16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lovesclimbing My ob also says that baby position can drive some fundal measurement variability. Add in different midwives doing the measurement, and that's another driver of the discrepancy. 
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • Ahutch428 said:
    @lovesclimbing I was measuring right on track, and then the last 2 appointments I have been measuring a week or two ahead, so they are going to do a growth ultrasound. I would think the different midwives could explain why they are different. My OB has measured me twice a few times and got different results just from that. 
    Interesting. My midwives have never suggested this. They say the fundal measurement being ahead or behind is not a concern unless it's 3 cm or more, and I've never been that high, so I'm not concerned. But I'm also at a birth center that tends to be natural-leaning/low intervention as much as possible. 
  • Ahutch428 said:
    @lovesclimbing I was measuring right on track, and then the last 2 appointments I have been measuring a week or two ahead, so they are going to do a growth ultrasound. I would think the different midwives could explain why they are different. My OB has measured me twice a few times and got different results just from that. 
    Interesting. My midwives have never suggested this. They say the fundal measurement being ahead or behind is not a concern unless it's 3 cm or more, and I've never been that high, so I'm not concerned. But I'm also at a birth center that tends to be natural-leaning/low intervention as much as possible. 
    @lovesclimbing She didn't seem overly concerned, so neither am I, but I wasn't going to turn down a peek at baby! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • JessyKVJessyKV member
    @KB00 has your doctor recommended baby aspirin or magnesium supplements to help with blood pressure? I had super high BP my first pregnancy.  My second pregnancy I took baby aspirin and had no issues.  This time I haven't been taking it and my BP has started to creep up so I just started again and am hoping it will help control it.  My chiropractor suggested the magnesium too but I haven't started that yet. 
  • My doctor and had thought about putting me on a baby aspirin at the beginning of my pregnancy, but at the time he thought that I might not have a BP problem this time around because often it only affected first time moms, so he didnt have me take I it.  However I remember him saying that the aspirin regimen would be most effective when started before 15 weeks.  I am now wishing we had gone with that method!
    DD: born August 2014
    BFP #2: 10/10/16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • HgPaHgPa member
    I had my 36 week appointment yesterday. Did the GBS test. My blood pressure was high, so they had me lie down and rechecked it after a little while. It was fine, but then I got a headache that afternoon and my sprained ankle was so swollen. I'm sure it's nothing to stress about, my urine was fine. This does not stop me from stressing about pre-e a little. I have weekly appointments from here on out, so I know they'll be able to keep an eye on everything.

My weight gain is a little over what I want it to be, but the OB didn't say anything. I'm trying not to beat myself up. Being laid up on crutches for two weeks and then limping around has made it hard to be active. 

Feeling excited to be in the final 4 week countdown!
  • KB00KB00 member
    @JessyKV I thought the same thing about the aspirin regimen. I heard that baby aspirin is a great way to manage high blood pressure but it was never an issue like it was in my last pregnancy so we thought we could avoid it. I'm definitely going to ask about all of my options before my doctor makes the decision to take me out of work. Like @mishmosh26 said, I'm not sure it's very effective this late in the pregnancy but definitely worth asking about. I've cut back on sodium, drinking tons of water and started going on walks after dinner because those are the "typical" things to try as well. Thanks for the advice ladies!