September 2017 Moms
Options

Baby shower question

is it rude if my mom does my baby shower? She's convinced it is unacceptable but I don't think anyone else will do it in my family.  DH's mom is throwing us one (big surprise since she hates me lol) and she's having it at the local bar (no surprise there she also had her last wedding there and I in 5 years have never seen her sober) but she's not inviting my family just her friends from the bar and his family.

Re: Baby shower question

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with your mom doing it at all... it isn't like you're throwing it yourself! 

And I agree about the bar one... that sounds more like an excuse for her to throw a party, without any consideration to you. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well, honestly I'm not real happy about it being in a bar but we need the stuff and my husband is really excited that she's even remotely interested so I'm kinda just going along with it. Surprisingly she's the better of his two parents so I try to let him take what parent type things  he can get from them.

But anyways I know Emily Post says you can't throw your daughter a baby shower but I just need a well structured defense to talk my mom into it.
  • Options
    Who is Emily Post?
  • Options
    @wyomama0427 she wrote a very famous book on manners and social conduct. It's used for social etiquette like Roberts rules are used for business.
  • Options
    @Breath_Easy92 I am very familiar with Roberts! I was on a parliamentary procedure team in high school, we won state and placed seventh at nationals. I haven't heard of her though, maybe I should look into that. Why does she say mothers can't throw a shower for their daughter? That doesn't make sense to me 
  • Options
    I know lots of people whose mom threw the shower. I don't think it's odd at all. 

• Options
    @wyomama0427 I'm not sure why, finishing school and cotillion never really stuck with me haha. 
  • Options
    @Breath_Easy92 it sounds like it's a southern thing... is it a southern thing? I've heard of cotillion but idk what it really is. I had an etiquette class when I took culinary arts but it wasn't anything crazy, mostly just table settings and eating lol. 
  • Options
    @wyomama0427 haha yeah it is. I was raised in Ohio but my family is all southern. Around here only rich kids do it but we weren't rich my parents were just use to it being a thing.
  • Options
    Yeah she wants to help she just doesn't want to send the invitations out or have her be the RSVP person .... she's complicated lol 
  • Options
    Well my friends just said she'd do it, but added she doesn't like babies and not to expect much because she's not that excited lol I'm just kinda done with the idea at this point. My graduation party was terrible because my aunt and cousin got arrested at it and my wedding got canceled because my dad got sick and I had to elope and I just wanted this to turn out decent. I'm going to throw my pity party for a day or two then just get over it I think. Or I had a cousin whoes husband did it for her. 
  • Options
    What about your mom and friend co-hosting the shower? Its completely normal to have your mom host nowadays though!
  • Options
    @Becky012016 that might work... it's a good idea I just have to talk to them, my husband actually might be better at mediating this since I have the hormones from hell lol... I just wish it was easier than this 
  • Options
    @jena333-2 yeah I think that'll be the best solution, thanks guys :)
  • Options
    @Breath_Easy92 you don't have to have a baby shower.  It sounds like it is causing you more headaches/heartaches than it should.  I get the whole wanting something special for once, I didn't have a graduation party for high school or college,  I had zero parties for my wedding like no engagement, bridal shower, bachelorette parties. I also am not going to have a baby shower as a FTM because I moved to a different country away from family and friends for work. Yeah I was a little bummed at the idea because I am a sucker for stupid baby games and all that stuff, but life goes on. I say take advantage of all the free baby grab bags for registries, maybe look at local events like baby expos to attend, and find other ways to make it special and ease the financial burden. 
  • Options
    Souptin said:
    what a crap situation. I would never side eye a shower thrown by the expectants mother. I am in Canada so perhaps its regional. You're MIL sounds peachy, hosting a baby shower at a bar for her friends? What kind of stuff would you get? babies first whiskey? Babies for Keg tap? ...newp!  If your mom is not ok to send invites perhaps a friend  of your could "co-host" so the invites have her name and people would RSVP to her but the event location could be " graciously provided by Breath easys mother"  All the friend would be responsible for is the invites and rsvp's your mom could do the rest. 
    I wish I could bold right now, it's not letting me, but LOL-ing @ baby's first whisky :joy:
  • Options
    Gah my auto fill did me so dirty. Please pretend I know how to word. That post is a mess. 
  • Options
    Souptin said:
    Gah my auto fill did me so dirty. Please pretend I know how to word. That post is a mess. 
    Every time you post, I imagine the real life you with Jim Carrey face
  • Options
    @wyomama I tend to on occasion read @souptin posts in my head with a Jim Carrey  voice. 
  • Options
    @Souptin yeah it is crap but it is better crap than I'm use to lol plus I pissed my mom off because I dont want a peter rabbit or saffari nursery so she im pretty sure doesnt want to discuss it any more anyway 

@Ae_Lovely321 im sorry, sounds like you got kinda the short end of the stick too. 
  • Options
    @breath_easy92 eh they were just parties and it goes with military life. I knew that my friends and family were as excited as I was about my graduations and wedding. They all made it to the wedding which is what I really wanted. Not having a party didn't make the events any less special for me.  I hope your situation works out to be what you want it to be.