October 2017 Moms
Options

POTD 4.20: Cord Blood Donation vs. Delayed Cord Clamping

edited April 2017 in October 2017 Moms
What do you plan on doing with the umbilical cord following delivery?
TTC x 1.5 years.
Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
TTC x2 months.
BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker

POTD 4.20: Cord Blood Donation vs. Delayed Cord Clamping 58 votes

Cord blood donation
10% 6 votes
Cord blood banking
3% 2 votes
Delayed cord clamping
37% 22 votes
Will try to do both donation/banking and delayed clamping
5% 3 votes
Wut. Is. This? Learn me more
12% 7 votes
Undecided
25% 15 votes
SS
5% 3 votes

Re: POTD 4.20: Cord Blood Donation vs. Delayed Cord Clamping

• Options
    I plan to try to do cord blood donation again so long as this one doesn't come preterm.  Wasn't able to last time since they suspected I had an infection during labor.  I would've done delayed cord clamping but the neonatalogist needed to eval urgently after delivery.  I was worried about doing both so that I didn't have sufficient for donation if attempted both.
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With my first I was going to try to do cord banking, but then he passed meconium before birth and needed a nicu team there and was taken immediately after birth to be checked. 

With #2 they really didn't give an option (as far as I was aware) and they did delayed cord cutting. 

Im pretty sure I'll do delayed cord clamping this time around too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I voted SS because I cannot for the life of me remember what I did with the girls.... I know I didnt bank it. I cant remember if I donated it, delayed clamping etc. I will have to ask my OB if its in my charts at my next appt.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @tyannej this Will be quick because I'm mobile.
    Cord blood donation is when the blood from the umbilical cord is collected after clamping and donated for other patients to use if it is compatible with their genetic make up (usually in the setting of a bone marrow transplant for things like leukemia and lymphoma)

Cord blood banking is the same except it is saved exclusively for your family's use.  Down side it's usually expensive to bank and hopefully you actually never have to use it. But for people with mixed backgrounds it can make sense because finding an appropriate match later might be hard (I have a friend that was half Japanese and half white who had a kid with 100% Native American, that genetic make-up might be tough to try and match in the future from an outside source unless it's a sibling)

Delayed Cord Clamping is exactly that.  They delay the clamping to allow for that blood supply to enter the infant. Benefits include decreased incidence of anemia but also causes more juandice.

Trying to do both is hard because you need a certain amount for the donation/banking and since you have to do that after clamping you have time in right so that both are successful. enough for baby to benefit (and who knows how much that is) and enough for adequate donation/banking because you can't turn around and give that back to baby after clamping.

Gotta run into work.  Will be back for more discussion. 

TTC x 1.5 years.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ForwardnBackward   Thanks!  I also am a FTM and am not sure about all this yet.  Hadn't gotten that far with my pregnancy/birth research.  
  • Options
    @ForwardnBackward thank you! I had no idea they did this! I'll definitely be doing more research on this! 
  • Options
    We'll be doing delayed clamping. We sort of did last time, I was more focused on making sure baby got skin to skin time with me immediately after birth, so I didn't really think about the cord clamping. But we'll be doing it this time as long as everything goes smoothly 
  • Options
    yasandsonyasandson member
    edited April 2017
    Im still undecided. I wanna go for delayed cord clamping but still doing research on the matter. 
    Out of curiosity, becaude i read that,  like @ForwardnBackward mentionned, it increases chances of baby getting jaundice. Your baby got it @sjohns08? @hippiegirl884?  (im sorry if it was mentionned in birth stories i read then all, just cant remember) 
    Edited to add tag
  • Options
    @yasandson we didn't do delayed clamping with any of our kids.  All 3 of them had jaundice though and my youngest had to be on a light for a few days after she came home.  So it is something I'll have to talk to my OB and the pediatrician about
  • Options
    I get to be a SS this time!!!  Because we did none of the above with DD and probably won't with this one to be honest.
  • Options
    Do we have no Lotus birth takers in the group?  (Google it)
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I voted SS because I cannot for the life of me remember what I did with the girls.... I know I didnt bank it. I cant remember if I donated it, delayed clamping etc. I will have to ask my OB if its in my charts at my next appt.
    Me too!  I was very surprised that this had to be SS because I highly suspect that in the end, most people end up doing none of the above?  I would be interested in finding out statistics if anyone has them to share!
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • Options
    Unfortunately cord blood donation isn't an option at the hospital where I will deliver. If it was an option I would donate it.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    We donated DD's cord blood and will do the same this time.  :)
  • Options
    We donated with the prior two, and will again if it's an option!

• Options
    Donation also wasn't an option  when I gave birth to DD (I was under the assumption it's actually pretty rare). I put undecided because I haven't even thought to look into it yet where I live now. I probably wouldn't have done delayed anyway, but I had an infection and DD got rushed away so I don't think it would have mattered.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When my first two were born I don't think either of these two were available.  For #3 I would have considered delayed clamping, but the cord was wrapped around her neck so tightly the doctor had to cut it as she was coming out.  DH didn't cut it as we had planned, but I'm happy my OB did what needed to be done quickly to keep my baby healthy and safe

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Delayed cord clamping.  It's standard practice at our birth center and what we did for DD2.  DD1S cord was cut emergently because she was in distress or we would have done delayed with her too.  FWIW, she had jaundice and the one who we did delayed clamping with did not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    my dream would be to do delayed clamping & chord blood banking. I didn't know i could bank and donate. I would love to donate too! is that even possible to do both??
    \

• Options
    I selected undecided.

Also @ForwardnBackward... lotus birth is gross. I don't have a problem with placenta encapsulation... but lotus birth? Just ew.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    @jessafishy
    How I feel about:
    Image result for shiver gif
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't understand the purpose behind Lotus birth
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    I don't know what lotus birth is and something tells me I'll regret it if I google
  • Options
    sjohns08 said:
    I don't know what lotus birth is and something tells me I'll regret it if I google
    You will. I just did that.

• Options
    And now I'm torn because I really want to know but I'm terrified to google also. 

• Options
    @dajocl I think you're fine googling, actually. Provided that you don't immediately go to images like the idiot I am.

• Options
    @purplestarz Yeah, I googled. And I also went to images... Which then led me to a blog post about it. And I read it. 

It talked about washing it all. Everyday. That's all I'm going to say here. 

This is one of those times where I shouldn't have let curiosity get the best of me. I. Don't. Understand. 

• Options
    Whyyyyy would you guys do this to me? I got so curious from your descriptions that I actually looked a the images and google. Ewwwww
  • Options
    Yeah. I Googled it also. Big mistake. HUGE mistake. :mask: The smell alone! 
    Me: 31 DH: 35
    Married since 05.16.2009
    Expecting #1: 10.10.2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am undecided. Ideally I'd like to bank but I guess that depends on cost. If not maybe donate. Never heard of delayed cord clamping until this poll. So yep def undecided!

Oh and I too googled lotus birth AND looked at the images. Um that's a def no for me. Had no clue that was even an option for people. I hope I don't dream about this tonight lol. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @sjohns08 you. are. a. genius.

It's about time someone realized this! ;)
  • Options
    And the curiosity got to me. I'm now going to have nightmares about those images.