November 2017 Moms
Options

Childcare

2»

Re: Childcare

• Options
    I before I got married, I was working full time, but once the number of kids I had to care for went from 2 to 4, it was impossible to work full time. So I went part time at work, working 1 24 hour shift a week. I did that until I was about 5 months pregnant with my youngest DS, then I was put on bedrest. I was out of work from last April till February of this year. I went back to work part time in February work 2 8 hour shifts a week and put our youngest in a daycare 3 days a week (the minimum at our center). After my meeting with MFM I was told that I am not allowed to work on the ambulance for the duration of my pregnancy and conveniently I was offered a new position in the Education Department of my company working per diem. I want to schedule the classes I teach around when DH will be home so I can take DS out of daycare and save that money. But I really don't know exactly when/how I'll be working, and our center is on a waitlist, so if I take him out I'll lose our spot. I think for now I'll have to keep DS there and I also put this LO on the waitlist in case we need it. It costs $46/day, but for 2 kiddos, it won't be worth it for me to work part time. And if I go back to work full time after this LO is born, we'll need more daycare. There seems like there is no way to win. 
  • Options
    And then I read about all of these awful things that happen at daycares and home daycares and with nannies and babysitters and friends watching each other's kids and all I can think is maybe I should just give up the job I love so much and be a SAHM all of the time. Seriously, this is so stressful. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And then I read about all of these awful things that happen at daycares and home daycares and with nannies and babysitters and friends watching each other's kids and all I can think is maybe I should just give up the job I love so much and be a SAHM all of the time. Seriously, this is so stressful. 
    Yes. I worked at a daycare in college and I would never send my kids there. It makes me so hesitant to send LO to any at all but we need $$.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I have friends who work at the one I send DS to, so I feel like he's in good hands, but you never really know and it stresses me out. 
  • Options
    @jess0211 Sick child policy, immunization policy, check out all legal certifications/paperwork, staff qualifications (CPR, First Aid,training/edu) , teacher to kid ratio, is child grouped by age, what is the daily schedule for children/is it flexible for infants, are meals provided if not do meals have to be "allergy friendly" ie no peanuts, how often are toys cleaned/replaced, is there a daily report, where are the babies napping (crib, not swing), list of holidays so you know if you need to request off...

And how much of course. You can also ask about discipline even though it's way early for that. 

jess0211 said:
    We are starting to tour places this week. I feel like I have no idea what to ask. Can you ladies recommend questions I should be asking?
    We toured much later in pregnancy with DS. I asked about BM storage policies, previous state visits and citations, open door policies, cameras. 
  • Options
    I like and trust DD's daycare. Places are so variable though. My husband's coworker has a child there and gave us the recommendation.
  • Options
    A lot of places won't give medicine, so not a bad idea to check. 

I also asked about turnover rate, whether they accommodate breastfeeding (in person and expressed milk). How much outdoor play do kids get.

The places local to me don't accommodate cloth diapers.

If they won't let you walk in any time of day, walk away and don't look back. 
  • Options
    alparodi said:
    A lot of places won't give medicine, so not a bad idea to check. 

I also asked about turnover rate, whether they accommodate breastfeeding (in person and expressed milk). How much outdoor play do kids get.

The places local to me don't accommodate cloth diapers.

If they won't let you walk in any time of day, walk away and don't look back. 
    Yep. If they don't have an open door policy that you can just drop in when you want I'd be super skeptical. 
  • Options
    Airynn ChicaAirynn Chica member
    edited April 2017
    In Michigan all home daycares have to be licensed. It's illegal to watch other people's kids at your house (non relative). That being said you also have to allow parents to visit anytime--otherwise it would be so odd and yes run away!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We have no idea what we're going to do! It costs us $154 a week for my DS and an infant would cost $210 per week and the daycare DS is in doesn't even take infants. If we paid $364 a week it would end up costing a little over one of my 2 paychecks monthly.
     I really want to find a SAHM that just wants to earn a little bit of money by watching someone else's kids since they're already home but I don't even know where to start. And I feel bad because my son loves going to daycare everyday. There would have to be at least 1 other kid around his age for him to play with!
  • Options
    Thankfully my church has an awesome (and affordable) preschool program. It is not full time, but I have my inlays local who can pick up the young kids at 1pm when it closes. Also, my DH is self-employed and slower in the winter so he can stay home with the younger kids a good bit. The one drawback to our church program is they cannot enroll until they are 1. Now, I expect my baby to be here in October, if I make it that far and that means we may not make the cut-off at one year to enroll. I may end-up paying for in home care for part of the first year. But between my inlaws, DH and my ability to work from home at least one day per week, I am hoping we will make it without breaking the bank!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a sahm since my baby girl was born ..my husband is super strict with her. he doesn't even let other males hold her so she is seven months now.I couldn't imagine putting my kids back in child care.to many horror stories for me ..plus the binding time for me is soothing to my soul..
  • Options
    @sushisuzi I think it's awesome that you get to have that special bond with your DD and that you get to stay home with her. But I will suggest getting her used to other people sooner rather than later. I have a friend who has an 18month old daughter who had really only been with my friend and her husband (because her husband is also very strict) and I have babysat her a few times, but other than that she doesn't spend time with anyone and doesn't get held by anyone and they're having a huge issue trying to get her used to people now. She only wants to be with my friend and she has no freedom. Her and her husband can't even go on a date without their daughter because she'll only spend time with them. I'm not saying toss them to strangers, but letting them get to know more people isn't a bad thing if they are people you trust. 
  • Options
    Please please check the in home daycares closely..to much happens in them..
  • Options
    Cort1021 said:
    Thanks, @kwaldy - It's definitely not a long term solution but it could buy us more time to not pay for childcare. 
    How they handle good alergies.changing station locations ..are the staff switched from Room to room or will your child have the same faces to see everyday..feeding times ..their sickness policies
  • Options
    @sushisuzi I think it's awesome that you get to have that special bond with your DD and that you get to stay home with her. But I will suggest getting her used to other people sooner rather than later. I have a friend who has an 18month old daughter who had really only been with my friend and her husband (because her husband is also very strict) and I have babysat her a few times, but other than that she doesn't spend time with anyone and doesn't get held by anyone and they're having a huge issue trying to get her used to people now. She only wants to be with my friend and she has no freedom. Her and her husband can't even go on a date without their daughter because she'll only spend time with them. I'm not saying toss them to strangers, but letting them get to know more people isn't a bad thing if they are people you trust. 
    I have two friends I leave her with for a few hours here and there..just not everyday daycare..though I do miss working
  • Options
    Best case we go to a church daycare that had 1 infant opening in jan 18 or the new nearby home daycare which so far has no kids and may flunk before we would begin. Old daycare we used has a 6 pg waitlist and when it was a 4 page list it was over a year wait. Costs $300 to 335 for fulltime infant per week. Outrageous IMHO this is a $$$ area.
  • Options
    IDK how much they are here. My SIL has her kids in daycare part time and she said that place is wonderful and will work with you and your schedule so I may look into that as we'd only need 2-3 hours of care a day but we don't kno anyone here other than his sister and she works longer hours than we do so I can't ask her to watch them.  
  • Options
    sushisuzi said:
    Please please check the in home daycares closely..to much happens in them..
    My in home day care provider is AMAZING. The ratio of providers to children is better than a facility in my county/state and my son absolutely loves going there. She's attentive, listens to my needs, and adores my son. 

Things happen everywhere every day. If we constantly read the news we'd lock ourselves up and never leave the house. Do research, do your due diligence, and check out references. This goes for ANY CARE PROVIDER/FACILITY YOU CHOOSE. Don't scare women from checking out quality licensed in home day cares. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree @ElizabethSchuyler. In home day cares are no different than center day cares. I prefer in home because it can be an easier transition for some kids. My son also prefers it. We both love the lady who watches him. Also, the ratio of kids are sometimes lower than that of a center. Just because it's in home does not mean it's unsafe. They are regulated just like centers are and get surprise visits from the state as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    And I've had wonderful experiences with my DD's daycare! Gotta find the right place. The play outdoors twice a day, do plenty of art, and she loves socializing with other kiddos her age. DH and I are big time introverts, and all of our good friends with kids live far away, so it's been great for our family. 

Of course always do your research and follow up with any red flags, but never let fear run your life. Fear is an energy and happiness vampire!