June 2017 Moms
Options

POTD: Vaccinations

Re: POTD: Vaccinations

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Elyse1384 said:
    @lovesclimbing I have to say that in my experience on TB, knowing many will jump on them isn't enough to deter anti-vaxxers.  Quite frankly it isn't enough to deter many with strong opinions on controversial topics from chiming in.  On my last BMB, 1 or 2 anti-vaxxers were more than eager to jump right in and take on the overwhelming amount of those in favor of vaccines.  I know a couple of anti-vaxxers IRL and they are beyond opinionated about the subject and almost seem to look for a fight.  Some subjects are just hot buttons and if people feel passionately enough they will state their opinion regardless of what anyone else thinks. 

I also have to say that vaccines shouldn't be a choice because of the implications for other members of the community.  When my children are too young to receive vaccines or had a medical delay (eg my daughter has an egg allergy so we had to hold on a couple of vaccines early on), it bothers me that other parents are putting my LOs at risk.  Also, some members of our community rely on herd immunity due to their own medical issues.   
    All of this.
  • Options
    merryleamerrylea member
    edited April 2017

I disagree with the choice to not vaccinate your kids. I have friends and family members who have chosen not to, but I don't get in arguments with them about why they're wrong even though I think they are. But at the end of the day, it's their choice, and I'm glad we live in a free country where we don't have medical procedures forced on us. 
    There has also been precedence where children  been forced to get life saving treatment, but that's really not the point. I can understand why you don't get into arguments; they really don't "change" people's mind and its hard to reason with people that are unreasonable. I have a really hard time with the anti-vaxxers because their choice can directly affect the health of my family.  They are making choices, that don't even necessarily impact their health, but that of a child that cannot make their own decisions.

At the end of the day, these people are making ridiculous decisions based on nonsense that are affecting both their children and mine, so I don't think they should get a pass.

ETA: I am a slow bumper, and pretty much echoing @Elyse1384
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it should be mandatory. I think parents should just fricking do it. If it starts becoming a law, that could get out of hand on what the govt makes us do. 

I, however, do believe you have to have them to go to school, with the exception of medical reasons. I don't think you should get a religious or philosophical pass. Do it or homeschool. 
  • Options
    I'm late to the party but I'm team give me all the vaccines too.  

I do think there needs to be more research on guardisil.  (Or I need more info) That one makes me a little nervous as does cervical cancer.   But I haven't talked to our Ped or done any research myself so I'm not saying we won't do it . Just that I've seen controversy on the news and would like more info.  The stuff I've heard could also be all fake hype.  I admit I really haven't looked into it since it was after my teens/early 20s and DD is only 4.  Anyone else have research on that one? Throw some science my way! 
  • Options
    Baby's getting all vaccinations. I'm currently trying to get my H and his parents to stop dragging their feet and get the Tdap booster because I'm not playing around with whooping cough. They seem to think it's a suggestion and not a requirement. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I am just happy that my state requires students to have all their vaccinations within the first 30 days of kindergarten or they can't come back. Yes, I am vaccinated but I would not want to teach in all that mess.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    Ugh, I hope you can get them to get it soon @meilay. DS and I both got whooping cough when he was 6 months old and it was terrible. And we were vaccinated (well, DS was partially vaccinated, anyway). 
  • Options
    Absolutely @virginiaunicorn11. Really, there are so many who are unecessarily put at risk by this "personal choice".
  • Options
    Whooping Cough related:  do any of you ask/suggest/tell baby's grandparents (or other frequent visitors) to get the Tdap booster?

Husband and I both got it. But all of the grandparents will be visiting within the 1st month. I want baby to be safe but also not sure of how to approach the whole "by the way go get a shot" convo without seemingly like an overly paranoid FTM.

Any suggestions/past experiences?
  • Options
    @kitty21436 I'm completely fine being the "paranoid" FTM so I just told the grandparents they need to get it. I asked nicely at first, and my mom got hers right away with no questions. The ILs are being another story so I sent some info from the CDC and made it clear this was a recommendation from my medical professional that I planned to follow. I'll be moving to "get the shot or you don't hold her and I'm not shitting you" convo soon. I told DH I was taking this approach and he's fine, but this also depends on your relationship with the grandparents. I'm close enough to them that I can be a little rude and they'll still love me. Lol. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    DH has already gotten his tdap and I mentioned it to my mom and she said she would get it so I assume my dad will too. I'll have DH talk to his parents about it. I think they will be the only ones who come to see her more often than once or twice in her first few months. 

Also, I didn't even think to ask the ped if they require all patients to be vaccinated! I'll have to check on that. 

And yes, we will be vaccinating our kids. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Whooping Cough related:  do any of you ask/suggest/tell baby's grandparents (or other frequent visitors) to get the Tdap booster?

Husband and I both got it. But all of the grandparents will be visiting within the 1st month. I want baby to be safe but also not sure of how to approach the whole "by the way go get a shot" convo without seemingly like an overly paranoid FTM.

Any suggestions/past experiences?
    You just toss out a random FB post saying "Anyone planning on visiting baby in the 1st year of her life should plan on getting the Whooping Cough vaccine soon! *wink wink* *nudge nudge*
  • Options
    ellie111227ellie111227 member
    edited April 2017
    @kitty21436 I have just had to be ok with being seen as a paranoid mom. Dd was the ninth grandchild on dd's side, but we are the first to ask those grandparents to get the tdap. My dad is a pediatrician and totally on board, so he and my mom and my grandmother get theirs without us even bringing it up. Dh's parents probably thought it was stupid, but I don't care. It is the first of many times I have had to assert my rights as the parent with choices they may or may not agree with: no kisses on the face, wash your hands, no screens for babies, no food or water before six months, etc. (Not saying everyone needs to make these same choices or that they are as important or straightforward as vaccines, just examples that apply to me). Imo it's better to get used to asserting yourself early and communicating unapologetically about it. I think we said something like, "Because the baby can't be immunized immediately, and because pertussis is very dangerous for newborns, the aap recommends that everyone who will be spending significant time with the baby get a tdap booster. We'd like you to get it so that you can safely spend time with her." If they push back, I'd go with, "You can research it yourself for your own comfort, obviously, but we are not planning on having anyone who doesn't have this protection be around the baby until he is old enough to be immunized himself. This is very important to us." If they think it is crazy that's on them.
  • Options
    Our parents didnt question it when it came up. My FIL cannot get it bc of an allergy to one of the components so obviously he didnt get it. This just furthers strengthens the herd immunity aspect for us. 
  • Options

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    @kitty21436 I told all the grandparents that when we were talking to my OB about vaccinations, it came up that they should all get the TDAP too. (So I positioned it as doctor advice vs my own paranoia - which it was.) They were all totally fine with it. 
  • Options
    erinh84 said:
    Well, this poll was sure anticlimactic. Tune in this week for a poll/discussion on: circumcision; throwing your own baby shower; gay marriage; transgender bathroom bills; government grants for pregnant women; modesty in the delivery room; United Airlines; Betsy Devoss; Feminism and all things politics. Love y'all, now don't disappoint me.
    You forgot breastfeeding in public! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Funny story: our friends had a baby and we made plans to go see her. Well the parents called us a day before the scheduled get together, and asked if we were all up to date with our vaccines. We all were expect my DH and I didn't get our flu shot so they asked us not to come over (we kind of knew it was coming since they asked other friends not to come) Ok no biggie. Your kid, your home, I'm totally cool with that. 

Fast forward a week and they posted a pic of them at a restaurant with baby and the menu in the baby's mouth, with some "witty" comment about kid already having good taste?? Wtf??
  • Options
    @kitty21436. Both sets of grandparents got the tdap and the flu shot. It was recommended by our OB.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    swanbroonerswanbrooner member
    edited April 2017
    @kitty21436 I just sent a text after giving them an appointment update saying that my doctor recommended the booster for grandparents while I was there, and they were fine with it
  • Options
    Yes to vaccines! 
  • Options
    meilay said:
    Baby's getting all vaccinations. I'm currently trying to get my H and his parents to stop dragging their feet and get the Tdap booster because I'm not playing around with whooping cough. They seem to think it's a suggestion and not a requirement. 
    I told my MIL what my OB told me... "Anyone who is going to be around the LO on a regular basis NEEDS to get the tDap shot." She literally lives 3 buildings over in our apartment complex so she knew what I was getting at, and will be getting it next week. I'm with you on the not playing around with whooping cough train! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely getting vaccines, because I believe in scientific research. Fact is, there is much more evidence in favor of vaccines than against them. So it's a no brainer for me and my family.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    I'll confess that DH is a conspiracy theorist and doesn't believe in vaccines, he believes they caused our DD's seizures, however, the seizures were managed with medication, so I'd take that over Whooping Cough any day. Vaccines are non-negotiable for me. I gave him the option to talk with our pedi and discuss his concerns and he hasn't made the time to do it, so they'll continue to get vaccinated.

I also don't force anyone to get Tdap or other shots in order to visit LO. We're going to be out in public, so they're likely going to be exposed in the general public. I get mine and that's really all I can do.
  • Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    edited April 2017

DD has all of the vaccines through her 18 month appointment.  She did have a bad reaction to the 4 month ones, causing her to have a high fever for a few hours and vomit up the Tylenol we were trying to manage it with, so I may try to move one of the 4 month shots to the 6 month appointment for this LO (as I recall there were less shots at the 6 month appointment than there were at 4 months), but I don't know.  It really wasn't a big deal, we just give her pre-emptive Tylenol now about 3-4 hours after her vaccines, and she hasn't had another incident.  Our Pediatrician won't accept anti-vaxxer clients.  It will allow a slightly modified schedule as long as all children are fully vaccinated by a certain age (I want to say 4 or 5 but I don't remember what the age is because it doesn't apply to me).  DD's daycare also requires vaccinations, and we have to bring evidence that they've been done every year.

DH had his tDAP before our honeymoon in 2014, and then DD was born in 2015 and this LO 2017 so he's still covered from that.  We did ask the people who were going to be staying with us for long periods of time (DH's parents, and my mom, sister, and BIL) to get their boosters too.  You can just go into a CVS MinuteClinic and get it, it's not hard.  Since they all did it in 2015 they should still be good to go this time around.  At least we're not having flu season babies; then I'd probably insist on flu shots too, just to be safe.  For any other visitors, we just got a few large containers of anti-bacterial gel and left them around the house.  DD's immune system has been Aces, she's been in daycare since she was 12 weeks old and has only had two one-day stomach bugs and one case of pink eye.  Meanwhile there have been kids in her class getting all sorts of crazy stuff.  I hope this LO is the same way.  My immune system is great but DH gets sick just from looking at a sick person basically, so it's going to be a toss up.  He literally got strep last year and blamed it on DD even though she never had it, because someone in her daycare class had it.  I don't think that's how it works.  I think he just touched something in the classroom when he dropped her off one day and got it that way, but whatever.

• Options
    Yes to all of the vaccines. I think that there shouldn't be any personal belief or religious exemptions for public schools. To me your rights end when it puts someone else's life at risk. Teaching medically complex/fragile kids solidified my opinion on that. Plus you never know which kid I should going home to a house with an immunocopromised person. 
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    @NamelessAria I just can't believe that half of your nursing school class didn't get the hep B vaccine. Of course no one goes around making a habit of sticking themselves with dirty needles, but accidents and needlesticks happen a lot. I'm just surprised because I don't know many other nurses that refuse any vaccine unless they can't get the flu shot for a particular reason.
    Completely off the baby vaccine topic, but as a nurse that really surprised me. I have seen quite a few accidental needlesticks. 
  • Options
    NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited April 2017
    @MKRLTX Yeah. I will add this caveat to that part of what I said: I do believe part of them not getting it was the ideological mindset of a student like "Oh I'm going to be super careful and I'm not going to be one of those nurses who accidentally sticks myself!" And some of them may have realized down the line that needle sticks aren't that uncommon because mistakes happen especially when you're tired or super busy, at which point they may have changed their mind about the vaccine. I don't know because I didn't stay in touch with most of them.

I admit I had that ideological mindset that I wouldn't be the person accidentally sticking myself with needles until I accidentally did it a time or two and then I reconsidered. But either way I do think a lot of adults aren't vaccinated against Hep B and for the average person with virtually no risk of getting it, it's probably totally fine. 

@Elyse1384 If you live in an area with a lot of Hep B cases then yeah I can see why you feel differently. I don't. The prevalence of Hep B where I live is <1% and that's including high risk populations. So I just really don't believe that my infant will be exposed. If I lived in an area where I felt there was a decent chance of exposure I'd likely feel the way you feel. I mean, I did say that infants in situations where exposure is likely are a different things entirely in my mind. So I stand by my opinion that my baby in an area with virtually no Hep B cases doesn't need to be vaccinated at birth unless he'll need to be in the hospital for awhile or something. BUT I'm also not someone who believing in pushing "anti-vax" opinions on other people. If someone wants to vaccinate their child then I get it. I do. And I think everyone has to do what they believe is best for their baby. I just happen to believe something a bit different in regard to a very select few vaccines such as Hep B. ETA: I'll also say that part of how I feel likely stems from the fact that I'll be a SAHM and my baby will have precious little exposure, early on, with others. And I don't know how I'll feel about some of the more "why not?" vaccines when baby is a bit older and will be around more people. And, of course, if baby ends up needing Hep B to go to school that would be a reason to do it. Those are issues I'll deal with as they come up. I'm overwhelmed enough by everything I have to consider for the newborn stage right now and I'm not trying to make decisions about how I'll handle things years from now.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited April 2017
    @Wino0920 We can agree to disagree. I don't see it as a conspiracy theory because everyone knows there is "extra stuff" unless you're really saying vaccines are ONLY whatever dead strain of whatever virus/bacteria and nothing else. If you're saying there is anything else in there then there is "extra stuff." Sure that "extra stuff" might be harmless. But it's still "extra stuff." So no, not a conspiracy.

But if you want to vaccinate your children with all the things you do you. I'm not out to change anyone's mind. I just figured this would be far more interesting with at least one different opinion.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker