July 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 4.17-4.21

AdaByronAdaByron member
edited April 2017 in July 2017 Moms

Re: Weekly Randoms 4.17-4.21

• Options
    So I was sitting in our living room over the weekend and hear birds chirping. It literally sounded like they were IN our fireplace. It was kind of funny, one of the dogs was sitting in front of the fire place just turning her head side to side listening. Anyways, DH was mowing the lawn yesterday and investigated. Turns our, a mamma bird decided to build a nest in the vent to our fireplace. There were no eggs, but he forgot to relocate it yesterday. He went out this morning, and OF COURSE there are now eggs in it. He moved it about 25 feet to a small tree in our landscaping, really hoping mama bird finds it and still cares for her eggs :(
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Just got an ad on my Pandora station that was singing: "My hiney is so Charmin shiny!"

Are we supposed to shine?  I think I'm failing at this.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stupid to bring a suitcase instead of a hospital bag?  I don't mean a massive suitcase, just a carry-on sized one.  I figured between my stuff, DH's stuff and what little of LOs stuff we will have, it would just be more organized in a suitcase than a bag.  I just don't want to look like an idiot strolling in there with a suitcase haha!  Typically around here we spend about 2 days in the hospital although I'm hoping to get in and out.
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    @stokesm21- I think a suitcase is fine too but at our hospital, there is one room for labor and a second room for mother and baby.  We didn't have much space in the labor room and then when I needed a c-section, my DH had to find somewhere in a hurry to stash our stuff while we were in surgery (they obviously move the next mom-to-be right into the labor room we left).  We had a smaller bag for labor and then when I was moved with the baby, DH got a larger bag out of the car that had most of our stuff in it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited April 2017
    @notachanski Hmmm ... good point.  I should look into that.  I was there the other day and was scoping out the rooms when I was walking down the hall (we are hoping to get private but it's first-come-first-served) but I think the actual L&D unit is through another set of doors.  Taking to the website now to see if they have any pics posted lol!  But it wouldn't be a huge issue.  Can always keep the stuff in the car :smile:

Update:  Yeah our L&D rooms are pretty big! 
  • Options
    @stokesm21 at the hospital I delivered the first 2 at there were labor rooms and rooms for mom and baby so if you go to a labor room you'll eventually have to move all of your stuff. For my second it was an RCS so I only went to the mother and baby room and never had to move anything. At the hospital I will use now everything is done in one room it doesn't matter if you're there for a cs or labor. 

And two I would thing about how long he's staying or how long he will be there with you. I know we don't have the same situation but DH will stay home with the kids and either my mom or mamaw will stay with me at the hospital, so I won't bring anything except what I need for me and baby. 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @MrsLa3 This hospital does separate L&D rooms and Mom/Baby rooms although they are just down the hall from each other. Having something on wheels I figured would be easier.  During labour I'll only really need distractions and food (if they let me, otherwise just snacks for him) so I would probably leave the "suitcase" in the SUV during that time.  

DH will most likely be with me the entire time.  We don't have any other children (together) and are about 40 minutes from home.  I told him he's more than welcome to not stay but he said he will.  I also don't know how everything's going to work out with my anxiety.  It's one thing for me to be home alone, which is never an issue, but I don't suspect I will fare out as well "alone" in a hospital.  I had to go in the other day for some non-stress testing and for the first time this entire pregnancy I was pretty anxious.  I'm hoping to just be in and out of there tbh.  He really won't need much though honestly, he's low maintenance.  As long as he has lots of snacks I think that's all he'll care about lol!
  • Options
    @stokesm21 I could understand why you might want a suitcase, then.  You could always leave it in the car until you are in mother/baby, too.  Just a small bag of whatever you might want during labor.
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    What do you need during labor realistically? Are you allowed to eat anything?

edited to add

@cssme13 great to hear that! Glad your back with good news!! Let us know  <3
  • Options
    @cssme13 I have been wondering about you! Soooo happy to hear that the follow up ultrasound showed a normal heart! Best news ever! And congrats on your new house! 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options

Random question: I am going to be having two baby showers - 1 for my side and 1 for DH's side because the number of people is bigger than the amount of space my aunt's house (she's hosting) has. DH's mom said she wanted to host the one for her side (ok cool).

Anyway, with my work schedule, I need to know when things are in advance so I can plan on having off. I do the schedule for my team at work but I work retail so schedules vary... My family knows this and told me almost a month ago that my shower will be May 20th (so I got a 2 month notice). DH's mom has yet to say anything about the shower or possible dates etc. 

How would you go about asking her about it since I need to know ahead of time?? I am already finishing the schedules for May and starting on June (and it's only 1/2 way through April).  I don't want to sound like I am expecting her to throw one because I am not but since she offered, I figured she would have said something about a date by now (and yes she knows I am a manager for retail and need to know things in advance)

Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Twinkiedoll - that's a good idea
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @BusyZee check out the Great Labor Thread in the June group. They talk about whether eating is allowed (depends on your hospital) and lots of other helpful stuff.

@cssme13 so good to "see" you and especially see such a great update! Wonderful news!! And congrats on the house sale. Fingers crossed that will be me soon...

I saw this article that says 50% of parents lie about co-sleeping with their babies, and can't help but feel a little smug. I am very open about co-sleeping and taking precautions for it, and I LOATHE the sanctimonious responses I always get. I wish parents would just be honest and supportive of each other, but anyway...
    https://www.babble.com/parenting/parents-lie-cosleeping-habits/?cmp=smc|859521181
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 I am a cosleeper and proud of it, the first couple months the babies were in a bassinet next to my bed or IN bed with me. I was nervous with my first about people shaming me I'll admit but by my second i embraced it, then they were in the nursery which was an attached room to the bedroom (no door or anything between the two kind of deal). Some of my very favorite moments with both kids were late night/early morning snuggles or having their snores lull me to sleep. Time goes so quickly I am so thankful I have those memories to cherish. 
  • Options
    @cssme13 glad you're back and everything looks great! 
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 Is there anything parenting-related that people don't get sanctimonious about?  I'm so tired of it, and the baby isn't even here yet.

I could not sleep with my child in bed with me because (a) there's barely room for DH and me (with all of our pillows) as it is; and (b) both of us flop around like fish on land.  Clearly that would not apply to everyone so it's not really fair for me to judge what is "safe" for others.

I'm also tired of people telling me not to do things because "if there's even a slight risk, why risk it for the baby?  it's not worth it."   Like somehow, I'm a bad mother already.  I mean... anytime I get into a car, there's a risk of dying in a car accident.  Does that mean I should just never leave the house?  But God forbid, I push a grocery cart full of stuff.  Then I'm just being crazy because someone could knock the cart into my stomach.
  • Options
    @cssme13 Great news on baby's heart and hope your move was a smooth one! 

@BusyZee my experience was a little different...I was induced at 36 3/7, as I had pre-eclampsia and my BP was really high. They put cervidel in to soften my cervix as I was not dialated or effaced at all. They allowed me to eat with the cervidel in but it immediately put me in labor with contractions (although still wasn't dialating at all)... I was allowed to eat but was in too much pain and after 10 hours I dialated 1cm, so they allowed me to get an epidural and then nothing but ice chips. After the epidural I dialated to a 10 in 4 hours and had my DD. So I was allowed to eat without the epidural but was really in too much pain to do anything because the contractions were so close together. (Sorry for my super long story but I didn't need much for actual labor. )
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @virginiaunicorn11 I co-slept with my first two and it worked out great for us. They never had a hard time transitioning to their own beds. I never had issues and I loved every moment of it. We tried co-sleeping with our 3rd and he was not having it and we weren't sleeping. At 9 months we transitioned him to a pack and play in our bedroom and then into a crib in his own room and began sleep training, something I thought I'd never do. It worked out to be the best thing for him. I'm pretty much open to either sleeping arrangement for this last one and going with what works best for baby, myself and DH. In the end it's what matters most and I have no judgement on what others choose to do about THEIR sleeping arrangements with THEIR child. 

@Twinkiedoll ditto on people thinking they can have in input on what I can and can't do. I get crap about workouts I do and how I should just be walking. So on and so forth. I've gone over it with my OB and follow her advice as well as listen to my body.

Plus the unsolicited advice on what I should or shouldn't do once this LO gets here. I'm taking about my MIL here mostly. She keeps trying to tell DH and I that we shouldn't have baby in our bedroom even in a bassinet next to us after bringing baby home. LO should go directly into its own bedroom. Ummm NO! She also doesn't believe I should breastfeed because it would make it hard to leave baby with her when it will be used to nursing. It will also make it easier for her to help if we want her to stay at our place the first few nights after we bring LO home. We have never even asked her to stay and help with baby. She can be annoying and controlling. She hates that we don't listen to her. I'm going to listen to my baby and its needs, thank you very much. 

Edited- to change bassinet at 9 months to *pack and play.* Moms to be, do not put your 9 month old in a bassinet for safety reasons. 
  • Options
    @cssme13 glad to see you around again and even gladder to hear that your baby is doing well!!
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    Welcome back @cssme13!  Glad to hear a positive update, I've been thinking of you.

I brought a small rolling suitcase to the hospital last time and it didn't seem weird.  I didn't use the majority of the things I brought but it was very nice to have snacks, my own toothbrush, my iPod and headphones, and a fluffy warm robe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So happy to hear the good news, @cssme13!  welcome back. 

My random thought of the day:  that lady who gave birth to a 13 lb baby without an epidural has a pain tolerance that I can only dream about. 
  • Options
    Great news @cssme13!! 
    @Poppyseed72017 the fact that your mil is trying to tell you not to BF for her own personal benefit is just wow. I have no words. GOod for u for not letting her controlling side take over! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @cssme13 Welcome back!  Congrats on getting moved and that baby is well!

@Poppyseed72017 Your MIL is something else with those opinions...

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Baby will be sleeping in our room for at least the first 6 months, we're getting a bassinet to go next to our bed. I don't think I could emotionally handle putting him in a separate room and being down the hall from him when he's so tiny and unaware of the world around him. 

In terms of bed sharing, I figure it will happen eventually considering how tired both of us will be. I'm getting a 'baby nest' from etsy that's essentially a cuter version of the dock-a-tot for a fraction of the price. The baby nest will go be what he sleeps in if he's in our bed (that's my perfect world version anyway, I know baby will decide what baby likes). 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @BusyZee Stuff for distraction (books/magazines, music, tablet - if that's your thing, etc.) and food if you're allowed.  I can't see you needing much else during labour.  (Do check out The Great Labour Thread in June, lots of good info.  I contemplated starting one for us July mama's)  

We've (tentatively) decided not to co-sleep when both of us are in the bed.  First, there isn't enough room and second, my husband moves a lot when he sleeps.  He doesn't get that subconscious notion that something is in the bed with him as he has almost squished the cats many, many times and I've gotten elbows and knees in various places as well haha!  But when DH isn't home and if baby and I can catch a nap together, I'm not putting her in the bassinet.  She'll be in the bed with me :smile:   I say all that now but who the hell knows what will actually happen when she's here right?! Otherwise, her bassinet will be in our room on my side of the bed.  Her nursery shares the wall of my WIC but I still want her in our room for the first few months especially if I'm able to BF.  Even if people don't co-sleep when their children are infants, we all know it happens more often-than-not when they are toddlers.  I crawled into bed with my parents until an age I don't even want to openly admit haha! (I used to get freaked out really easily)  And we never co-slept with them as infants.  Regardless, I agree with everyone here.  People do it differently.  As long as you're safe about it, it's really none of anyone's business what you do/don't do with your child.          

@Dovahkiin_99 I'm so glad you mentioned that!  The Dock-a-Tot is on my "lust list" and I threw it on my registry for sh!ts-and-giggles but would never actually spend the money myself.  I'm gonna go check that out!  :smile:

ETA:  I was just thinking about definitions.  I guess I will be co-sleeping as baby will be in the room with us but we won't be bed-sharing though.  I think it's important to note the difference between the 2 and when you pull up those definitions, I'd like to believe that more than 50% of people co-sleep.  I don't personally know anyone who stuck their baby in their crib in their own room right after birth. 
  • Options
    @Poppyseed72017 I'm not trying to start anything here but I really want to know why you put your 9 month old in a bassinet? To my understanding babies are not suppose to be in a bassinet after they are able to sit up or after 4 months (I think that's what the warning on my bassinet said.) I mean everyone knows how their baby is but I'm just not understanding. DS didn't even sit up until 6 months old and I still took him out of the bassinet just in case. 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome back! I've been trying to catch up but our internet at work is still running like dial up and with state testing my patience is out the door.

Re: co-sleeping both my kids slept in their pack n play by my bed until they were about 6 months and then they went into their crib. When I was breastfeeding especially in the early months I would sometimes keep them in bed with me because it was just easier to roll over and whip out my boob. DH is normally a heavy sleeper but when we have kids in bed with us he's a whole different person and wakes up if he moves even an inch.

@BusyZee I honestly didn't have anything during my labor with DD and I did not care one bit, but it was a very long painful labor that had me crying in pain most of the time so I'm sure (and crossing my fingers) that yours will be different.  I would check with your ob or midwife about eating. I know some insist that you don't have anything in case of a c-section and some will allow you to eat whatever you are comfortable with.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    Can I vent about how absolutely ridiculous the candidates have been thus far for my position?  It's honestly pitiful and my best candidate was automatically rejected by the system!  Thank goodness I went in and looked at the rejected people.  Mind you out of 30-some she was only 1 of 2 that I pulled out of there but still!  I've done some time in HR so thankfully the management team is allowing me to be very involved in the hiring of my replacement.  But I'm super picky.  When the GM and I were chatting on Friday she showed me the resume of a candidate for another position we have available.  There were so many things on her resume that I pointed out that neither her or the other manager would have thought of.  And of course she was all, "Good point" and started highlighting stuff.  Candidates:  Good luck getting past me!  LOL  We started the process early because 1)  We knew it was going to take time to get good candidates and 2)  So that I can be picky.  I hit up the local college and sent the posting to the coordinator of the event management program.  Yeah sure, they just finished college but people have taken chances on me before so who knows, one of them might be my ticket.  Still ... this process is so frustrating.  Ugh.    
  • Options
    I don't know that I could co-sleep. I need my blankets and pillows, and the dog sleeps with us (sometimes over and sometimes under the covers). I think she will be out of sorts with the baby as it is, I don't want to kick her off the bed too. If i have to, I will, but I'm going to avoid it if possible. 

I can't remember (and am too lazy to search then come back) do we have a hospital bag thread? If not, we need one. I'm realizing how semi-close we're getting and thinking "do I have what I need?"
  • Options
    MrsLa3 said:
    @Poppyseed72017 I'm not trying to start anything here but I really want to know why you put your 9 month old in a bassinet? To my understanding babies are not suppose to be in a bassinet after they are able to sit up or after 4 months (I think that's what the warning on my bassinet said.) I mean everyone knows how their baby is but I'm just not understanding. DS didn't even sit up until 6 months old and I still took him out of the bassinet just in case. 
    Oops. Yes you are right! No, I didn't put him in a bassinet.  I meant the pack and play. Yeah, at 9 months there was no way he would be in a bassinet. He was probably standing by then. Brain fart on my part there. Good thing you caught that! I'll have to edit that. 
  • Options
    @PurplePumpernickel I remember there was a discussion about it waaaaaaaaay back in the first trimester.  My brain couldn't process that information at that time.  It probably wouldn't hurt to start a new one.
  • Options
    @MrsLa3 I didn't know that about bassinets.  That's very helpful.  I was leaning towards getting one of those fancy Halo bassinests off CL, but now that I know it will only be used for four months, I'll skip. 

Man, there are just SO many things that are expensive that you only use for < 6 months. 
  • Options
    @PurplePumpernickel +1 for starting another one here. I'm with @Twinkiedoll I wasn't ready for that thread when it first came out. 
  • Options
    @MrsLa3 I didn't know that about bassinets.  That's very helpful.  I was leaning towards getting one of those fancy Halo bassinests off CL, but now that I know it will only be used for four months, I'll skip. 

Man, there are just SO many things that are expensive that you only use for < 6 months. 

This is one of the reasons we decided to skip the bassinet and just get a mini-crib instead. All the bassinets we looked at were a little flimsy when you have two dogs who love to cuddle. Plus, with the mini-crib, the baby would be outside of the jumping range.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    We decided to skip the bassinet this time around too - I hated the fact that after 3-4 months, it can't be used. This time around we got a pack n play that has a bassinet attachment. We'll use it in our room and then once baby outgrows the bassinet attachment, we can move him to his room OR use the pack n play.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Options
    We just got our crib, and I'm so excited to get it all set up!! Things are getting real. 

I have no idea what we will do for our infant sleeping situation. It would definitely be convenient to have him on our room, but my DH snores, and sometimes it's pretty loud. If he wakes me up, I'll sleep on the couch, which can happen several times a week. So, baby is our room may not be convenient after all. I guess we'll just have to see what happens when he's here!
  • Options
    We just got our crib, and I'm so excited to get it all set up!! Things are getting real. 

I have no idea what we will do for our infant sleeping situation. It would definitely be convenient to have him on our room, but my DH snores, and sometimes it's pretty loud. If he wakes me up, I'll sleep on the couch, which can happen several times a week. So, baby is our room may not be convenient after all. I guess we'll just have to see what happens when he's here!
    I'm in a similar position, only it's DH that is up half the night anyway. Luckily my sister is letting me borrow the bassinet/cosleeper, so no big investment!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin'