November 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms April 17th

1234568»

Re: Weekly Randoms April 17th

• Options
    @ShePersisted  I don't feel strongly about a religion thread, but now that I know others would feel uncomfortable with it I wouldn't want to do one. I really do love the fact that we are all on even playing field here, I love being able to get to know you all without all of us having subconscious bias towards each other (because I'm sure none of us would consciously do it) 
    Also I really like the group of women  in our bmb, I've lurked a few others and I think we just have a great group of people. 
  • Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, I am very religious and I'm okay with either having a thread or not. I have plenty of ways to discuss my religion outside the bump. But I am going to say that completely discounting the idea of a religion thread just because it could bring up conflict, really bothers me. The current event thread could bring up a lot of conflict, and personally, being a conservative (please don't hate me), I know to stay off it. I think it would be the same with a religion thread. If you want to partake, cool. If you don't, also cool. I don't plan on starting one, as I said, I don't think it is 100% necessary, but I do think that we should be leaving that open to people to start if they are interested and if it's not your cup of tea, just keep on scrolling.
  • Options
    @cmessamore I'm very religious as well and very open about it IRL - it's part of what defines me. The reason I'd personally prefer to stay away on here is because religion discussions can bring up negative feelings whether they are spoken (typed) or not. The reality is there are lots of religions right now associated with terrorism which the media does a great job of exploiting, some more than others, and while I believe terrorism has no religion it's hard to know how others feel. Also, I lurked the same thread as @ShePersisted and someone said something along the lines of "I don't believe in God, so I guess I believe in science". She apparently did not intend it the way it sounded but it was very offensive to many people who don't find religion and science mutually exclusive. 

Im not trying to change your mind, just explaining my point of view even though I talk about religion alllll the time normally. You're right though, that's just a thread I wouldn't participate in if I want comfortable. 

• Options
    I think it's so sad that religion is a "controversial" issue. But sadly, it's true. We live in a world where we believe we know more than we really do about others and we feel that it is our job to tell them that they're "wrong." 

I think all you regs are great and we could probably have a perfectly civil discussion about religion. However, anyone can post on here. I'm personally part of a religion that is often misunderstood so if there is ever a religion thread, I will stay off it. While I am very happy to discuss religion in real life and with individuals who ask me, I know I can't open myself to abuse from strangers online. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge Ugh.  Sentiments like "I don't believe in God, so I guess I believe in science" that perpetuate that scientists aren't/can't be religious drive me crazy. I'm a religious, liberal leaning scientist that believes in tolerance, compassion, and love. I also believe in logical study. 

Once in grad school, I had the opportunity to attend a seminar discussing science & religion. The auditorium was full of hundreds of people to that recognize these aren't mutually exclusive and it was so refreshing of a narrative change. Many positive feels that day.
  • Options
    I tend to swing a little more conservative, but I absolutely hate the perpetuation that God and science are mutually exclusive. And that if you care about the earth you must be a "tree hugging, bleeding heart liberal." Heard that one from my dad actually.