July 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 4/13

Come share your wrong opinion!

Re: UO Thursday 4/13

• Options
    I think I've said it before here, but I do not like feeling baby kicks. I think it's creepy AF.
  • Options
    I think teachers should be paid more, but I think some complaining teachers need to appreciate the benefits and time off as positives to our career choice. Not every teaching situation offers great benefits, but I have excellent and affordable healthcare, plenty of sick days that accumulate over time, and I am backed by a union that works for me. I didn't go into teaching thinking I'd make a ton of money, but if I were to finish my master's or get some other sort of extra qualification, I could make a lot more. Plus, I'm working 10 months out of the year and can make extra money over the summer if I choose.

Bottom line: teachers should make more money, BUT I appreciate the benefits I do get with the job. I could be making my same salary with crappy benefits and no job security.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @crzyforbabies I totally agree with you.  Teachers face a lot of inequities and are too often not treated with the respect we deserve. But it really pisses me off to hear teachers complain about their jobs. Of course there are pros and cons to the schedule/PTO issues. But every single one of us knew exactly what we were getting into when we started this career. More so than pretty much anyone else. I just want to tell people if you don't like teaching, take your degree and go do something else. 
  • Options
    @crzyforbabies I agree too!

It also bothers me, though, when I hear people saying that the ONLY reason they teach is for summer vacation. Come on. I'm thankful for summer too, but if there's nothing else you like about the job it's probably not the right one for you OR the kids. 
  • Options
    I find flats uncomfortable, I can't wear them for too long and end up walking around like a duck. 
  • Options
    clioclio member
    I think spring is the worst season of the year.
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    clio said:
    I think spring is the worst season of the year.
    Wha...?! I live for spring!! 
  • Options
    crzyforbabiescrzyforbabies member
    edited April 2017
    @abmommy15 this is kind of a sore subject for my MIL and I. She was pissed I didn't invite some couple friends of hers that my DH didn't care about to our wedding. We had already let her invite a ton of people prior to that. She did offer to contribute to the wedding after planning was underway, but my parents contributed way more to the wedding than his parents did, and those dinner plates weren't cheap! She drunkenly brought it up months after the wedding, and acted like I was DH's puppet master and he would've done whatever I said. 

Fast forward to planning the baby shower, and I agreed to invite all the women on both sides of the family it seems and a few friends. However, every time I see this woman she is trying to add more people to the list. My mom and sister are throwing it in my mom's house, and space is limited. I just wish she had some boundaries, and realized that this shower and my wedding are not HER shower and wedding. 
  • Options
    @kat0607 I agree. 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    BusyZee said:
    I find flats uncomfortable, I can't wear them for too long and end up walking around like a duck. 
    I find SHOES uncomfortable. I'm committed to wearing flip flops for the next 4+ months because it's as close as I can get to barefoot without getting kicked out of restaurants. :)
    I'm wondering if that will change for you! I thought the same thing. But once the swelling starts I had to be in shoes with support. Id be in tears st the end of the day after wearing flats or flip flops because my feet hurt SO BAD. 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    BusyZee said:
    I find SHOES uncomfortable. I'm committed to wearing flip flops for the next 4+ months because it's as close as I can get to barefoot without getting kicked out of restaurants. :)
    I'm wondering if that will change for you! I thought the same thing. But once the swelling starts I had to be in shoes with support. Id be in tears st the end of the day after wearing flats or flip flops because my feet hurt SO BAD. 
    I'm hoping by the time I get to this point I won't have to be on my feet all day. I'm a teacher, so I'll be done with work about a month before baby comes. I wore flip flops for the end of my last pregnancy too. I can't stand to have my feet enclosed when they're swollen. But I have some sandals with really soft soles. Like the yoga mat ones. Don't remember what they're called.
  • Options
    Re: feet - I get into my office and take the shoes right off... boots, flats, flops, whatever. I have the good fortune of having a darling male boss who has no idea about anything about being pregnant (except OMG the miracle of life! ...not joking) and he's always erring on the "do whatever you need to" side. If he saw me with my shoes off he would probably ask why I ever wear them at all if it's bothersome. GOOD QUESTION. The only thing I feel like will suck for sure is working out w swollen feet in sneakers. I already bought a half size up in wides for me to move into when I can't fit my regular sneaks anymore  :/
  • Options
    @adabyron my last lecture is Monday and I will be in flip flops until Fall when it gets cold.  I can't wait!!!!!  I wear fancy flip flops to the office/my lab in the summer - and had no problems last pregnancy. @nktrodden826 I'm the opposite - swollen feet means no shoes and mandatory flip flops.  I will also quit wearing pants soon - third trimester summer style is in - maxi dresses only yay!

I'm a university professor so it's a little bit different for me as I do work/research throughout the summer (we do not get paid in the summer unless we have won external research grants to cover our salary).  No teaching in the summer is awesome and flexible summer schedules are a huge perk!  I love teaching one on one my own PhD students - this is the most rewarding and impactful work - I am literally in their brains and work closely with them for 5 years.  I do not enjoy mass teaching of undergrads.  
  • Options
    @abmommy15 I do understand what you're saying, but I think the issue is that families can make showers all about them, and not about the expecting mother. I don't think it's as much about the perfect shower. 

Ive been pretty lucky, and I don't see this being an issue for me, but if my MIL wanted my shower to be all about her, I would be upset. 
  • Options
    UO Cleaning your ears with q-tips is the tits.  I know you aren't supposed to stick stuff in your ears but I give no fvcks.  Also, before the infection and build up stories potentially come, I've been cleaning my ears like this my whole life with no issues thankfully.  My mom used to do it for us when we were little with a q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide and we looooved it.

Edit to add:  Fleece crested scepter of Que-Teep anyone???  Hahaha
    THIS. I love cleaning my ears with q-tips. I've only ever had one experience where I needed to see a doctor to remove wax that had been pushed too far back. That was YEARS ago when I was a child. Havent had a single problem since then. 
  • Options
    UO Cleaning your ears with q-tips is the tits.  I know you aren't supposed to stick stuff in your ears but I give no fvcks.  Also, before the infection and build up stories potentially come, I've been cleaning my ears like this my whole life with no issues thankfully.  My mom used to do it for us when we were little with a q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide and we looooved it.

Edit to add:  Fleece crested scepter of Que-Teep anyone???  Hahaha
    Same here. I can't stand feeling like my ears are wet after a shower, so I clean/dry them with a Q-tip after every single shower. I didn't know infection and build-up were the risks. I just thought the fear was that you'd stick it in too far and hurt something
  • Options
    @maybeitsmadeline yasssss. Love qtips. I don't want to live in a world where I can't use them in my ears as god intended.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @abmommy15 and @julybaby17-2 +1 to what julybaby said. I had a host of stressful issues with my shower, including an invite problem. It isn't/wasn't about the fact that my SMIL wanted to invite extra people to the shower. It's that it was all about her, and not about what I wanted, or would be happy/comfortable with, or even how I felt about it. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    Same @kerils.  The shower with my mother included 70% her friends and was acknowledged to be a celebration of her becoming a grandmother. I have one friend in my hometown so it certainly wasn't about me. Didn't mind getting gifts, did mind that no one could understand I was flying back so they should ship them and not bring them to me. Also the main dish was deli sandwich platters. Because you know, deli meat is A+ for preggos.  
    The shower w my in laws will be a cousins reunion for my husbands aunts and uncles and second cousins just like our wedding shower was. I distinctly remember at one point him and I sitting in a side room by ourselves for 30+ minutes because nobody was interested in talking to us. Looking forward to the repeat. I appreciate them throwing the shower but they see no need to limit the guest list - and yes IT IS too much to ask that only ppl come to the shower who my child would ever meet. 

Usually i handle family events with alcohol so it's been a rough few months.
  • Options
    @maybeitsmadeline I am obsessedddd with cleaning my ears with q-tips. I don't go far in with them, but I HAVE to do it - when I wake up in the morning, after naps, after showers, and on planes since my ears get damp from wearing noise-canceling headphones. I cannot stand the damp feeling I have in my ears otherwise. These days, I wake up so many times a night to pee that I just leave them by the toilet and end up doing a quick clean like 3x a night. I've never had any adverse effects either, so it's a habit I will never break.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    I use q-tips every morning because I sleep with ear plugs. If you don't get the wax out, the ear plugs push them back. One time, I had to go to go to my mom's job and get water shot in my ear because they were impacted. I stay vigilant and let water run into my ears in the shower.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    AdaByron said:
    Same here. I can't stand feeling like my ears are wet after a shower, so I clean/dry them with a Q-tip after every single shower. I didn't know infection and build-up were the risks. I just thought the fear was that you'd stick it in too far and hurt something
    This.  I hate that feeling period.  Sometimes when I sleep I stay on one side the whole night so my ear feels damp inside when I wake up from the heat that makes the earwax run I guess and I have to clean them when I wake up in the morning.  Can't stand the feeling!  I clean them after every shower too!

edit typing mistake

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    There's a lot of q-tip lovers here!  I'm shocked, but pleased lol!  I love cleaning my ears.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    +1 q-tip lover. I was a swimmer so I always had water in my ears. Q-tips were/are a must. My mom also literally use to pour hydrogen peroxide in our ears to clean them lol
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I hate when people clarify they arent talking about you but the general you. This is the interwebz someone is going to get offended when someone says you, whether it is you or the general you. 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    This.  I hate that feeling period.  Sometimes when I sleep I stay on one side the whole night so my hear feels damp inside when I wake up from the heat that makes the earwax run I guess and I have to clean them when I wake up in the morning.  Can't stand the feeling!  I clean them after every shower too!
    Ditto! I wake up annoyed and have to clean it all out 
  • Options
    @PurplePumpernickel I also only wash my hair like twice a week. Dry shampoo is my friend.

I will use a Qtip every once in a while to clean my ears, but I have vivid memories of my mom putting a capful of hydrogen peroxide in my ears.
  • Options
    @PurplePumpernickel I read that as 5-7 times a day haha! I have textured hair, so I don't wash my hair every day. Everyone's hair is different, and can be taken care of differently. No judgment here!
  • Options
    ... I hate flip flops. 
  • Options
    ... I hate flip flops. 
    Me too. And I don't put this much thought into Q-Tips. 
  • Options
    I am a Q-tip lover! Use them multiple times a day on myself. Stopped using them on DS when he got his first (and only) ear infection. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    Oh one more. While I understand why athleisure is so big right now, I insist on wearing workout clothes and yoga pants only when I'm doing yoga, running, or maybe hanging out at home. I don't even wear exercise sneakers when I'm not exercising. 
  • Options
    I think women who just throw tampons in a bathroom trashcan are completely disgusting. 

Backstory: currently at DHs best friends house- his girl friend just moved in with him a few months ago and I went to use their master bathroom since the main level bath is under reno and she had dirty used tampons just laying in the trashcan next to the toilet. My husband would never want to see that. Wrap it in tp or flush it people. Nobody wants to see that.