June 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday - 4/13 Edition

Re: UO Thursday - 4/13 Edition

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @graceriesz I'm the same way!  I get irritated when I see other people ignoring obvious rules.  For example, so many parents at my kids' daycare park in the handicap spot because "I'm just running in and the only other spots are a far walk".  Um we're all here to quickly run in and grab our kids.  Also at my office we have parking spots for those who carpool and are assigned passes.  90% of cars parked there don't have passes and I see single riders getting out as I park far away in an approved space.  To me, not following rules makes people seem like entitled asshats with no respect for others around them.
  • Options
    I'm with you, @graceriesz ! For me this also comes down to following the speed limits. I assume the limit is posted for a reason, therefore I follow it. It's not my place to question it.
    I even get annoyed reading books like Harry Potter because they break too many rules. For once I'd like to read a good book about someone who actually does what they're told to do. 
  • Options
    mkrelmkrel member
    I am a rule follower, but I am more laid back about it. When it comes to laws I absolutely follow the rules, but at work if there is a process in place and I can get something done more efficiently without compromising the quality of work I will bend. My DH, on the other hand, is a stickler. The first time we were in Key West picking out our wedding venue I had to ask a cop in front of him if it was okay to have an alcoholic beverage on the street, meanwhile EVERYONE was walking around with them. He also asked someone serving drinks in Vegas if alcohol was allowed in the pool and he literally got made fun of by the guy and other people in line. I love him haha. 
  • Options
    @Elyse1384 yes, it's totally a respect thing for me too.

@ladylolly89 speed limits, texting while driving, all of it. I recently watched all the HP movies and my coworkers have dubbed me 'Hufflepuff'. If I find out I broke a rule I didn't know about after doing something I feel totally guilty. 
  • Options
    Mark me as a rule follower too!  My sister and friends make fun of me about it all the time!

Trying to think of an UO....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Elyse1384 I keep changing my mind, thanks to our fantastic media that cares more about getting a story out fast, over accurately. But I will say that the memes on FB have me dying!!! They just keep getting better. 
  • Options
    I'm also a rule follower. My parents are rule breakers and it's totally makes them look entitled. It drives me nuts too, why should they get special treatment? I have this specific memory as a kid going to the movies as a family and 3/4 the way through my dad decided this movie is dumb, we deserve to watch another one so we all snuck into a different movie and watched it from the beginning. I still feel bad about it and irritated because hello! That's stealing! And oh the driving rules! We used to drive for 10 hrs with no seat belts, because it's more comfortable. My brother was recently in an accident because he had a seizure and luckily only totaled his own car. They immediately bought him a new one because how inconvenient to have to drive him to work... he's had seizures his whole life and should not be driving at all! So dangerous to everyone else on the road! Ugh I was livid! 

Regarding the graduation thing. I totally agree. Is there really a choice not to go up a grade? It is possible not to graduate high school and it is 12 years of work to get there so it's worth celebrating. But any other grade, nope. We're homeschoolers so it doesn't matter to us, but if we were to do public I would probably do something nice for them like dinner out when they graduated from elementary and middle, but definitely no party or gifts. 
  • Options
    I think most holidays are stupid and 'Hallmark' holidays. I hate that I lied to my kids to keep up the ruse and now I'm stuck playing into them. 

Some people use Easter as another Christmas and it's just silly. 

Note: we aren't religious in any sense.
  • Options
    I am a teacher and I think everyone deserves a break. All professions. I hate that stores are open on Christmas/Thanksgiving etc. I understand that police/fire/EMS have to be avilable for emergencies but people should get a break to relax and be with loved ones.

I guess mine hops off of Emerald's. I think teachers should get paid more. My friend tells me, you chose to be a teacher so deal with the bad pay. Just because that is the current status quo doesn't make it okay. How do things get better in any career if you don't fight for changes?

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    @Stankonia2014   Ehh... I get a $5 - $10 pre-made Easter basket and call it a day.  However, I will admit, her first Easter, I went over the top.  I went over the top for majority of her "firsts".

Also - I promise I'm not following you around thread to thread although it seems like it. Haha.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think stores should be shut down for holidays. Or people should get breaks for Holidays. Well maybe Fourth of July and Thanksgivng that are Holdiays celebrated for our country. 

Not everyone celebrates Christmas or Easter so forcing them to not work and make money, or close their store and not make money, doesn't seem right to me. We don't close things for hannakkah or Ramadan? Am I making sense? lol! 
  • Options
    HgPaHgPa member
    Another rule follower here. My husband's family thinks they are clever and above the rules, and it drives me crazy. His mom bought a fake service dog jacket (which is, you know, a crime) for her sh*tty poorly trained wiener dog because she thinks she should be allowed to take him everywhere. Ugh.

My UO: Birth is about your baby. If you can have an amazing empowering experience that is everything you dreamed of, great. But if you need to make concessions to your plan to have a healthy baby, you need to do it. Medical professionals aren't trying to trick you into unnecessary interventions (though they will probably err on the side of caution). I'm in another birth group where women talk about not telling their docs that their water has broken because they don't want to be induced, using natural remedys for GBS, refusing C sections, etc. I stay for the amazing birth stories and guided meditations, but some of the posts and comments make steam come out of my ears.
  • Options
    HgPaHgPa member
    @kahlan82 I agree on holidays! Non-essential businesses should be closed.

I side eye people for shopping in stores on Black Friday, and I have so much judgement in my heart for those that do the Thanksgiving Day evening/midnight doorbusters.
  • Options
    Maybe it's just the schools I've taught in but I absolutely needed those breaks while teaching in order to survive, though I'm not sure I care so much about using the word "deserve." I know teaching is hard in even the "best" environments but being beaten down by my students' trauma and challenges day in and day out required more than the occasional 3 day weekend to recover if I was going to be able to continue to serve them. 

I love holidays but wasn't raised to believe in things like Santa or the Easter Bunny. We were taught that holidays were a time to be with loved ones in a really intentional way, since that can sometimes be hard when people get busy living their lives. My family still does a huge BBQ every 4th of July and a big Thanksgiving dinner. I've spent the last few years gathering my siblings and cooking for my mom on Mother's Day. I agree holidays are heavily commercialized but I don't think that should take away from the personal meaning they can have for your family. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    LMMamaLMMama member
    edited April 2017
    As someone who worked in the corporate world for many years it really gets under my skin when teachers say the whole "deserve" the breaks thing too. I wasn't making any more than a teacher does and got maybe 5 holidays off a year. Then ten days of vacation/sick time to spread over 12 months. It can grate on you to hear people that get so much time off feel so entitled to it when you work just as hard. When you're sitting at work on Christmas Eve and have to be back in the day after Christmas the sympathy runs thin. 

With that being said, I just spent a huge amount of money (put myself in a lot of debt) for a Master's degree so I could work an education schedule. I was tired of complaining about my lack of time off and have spent the last couple years getting my new degree so I could have a better schedule and spend more time at home. My DF and I were in the same industry and he has been a teacher for the past few years in what is considered one of the most dangerous cities/school districts in the US and says it's the easiest job he's ever had. I guess it just varies from person to person how one views their career and circumstances. 
  • Options
    Stemming off @EmeraldNC's I just don't want to listen to the count downs to summer vacation or the complaining about going back after breaks or pissed when there isn't a snow day. Being in a business job out of the mass of my friends that are teachers- I just dont care to listen to it. I maybe get five holidays off a year, just be greatful for what you get and don't rub it everyone else's faces. 
    I worked in the corporate world before I became a teacher... And it was in a facility that was open 24/7.  So, I was expected to work a lot of weekends/holidays.  When I started working in public education, I honestly felt like I was working part time because of the hours/breaks.  I've lived the life of working and not getting holidays off automatically... and that is one of the HUGE reasons I decided to make the change to public education once I wanted to start having kids... so that I would have a schedule that allowed me more access to them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sejica said:
    I'm definitely a rule follower and DH is definitely not. In our household though the worst of it is how we view time commitments, so here's my UO:

If you commit to a time for an event, that is when you show up. 

That means 15 min early for appointments with doctor/dentist/lawyer/other professional/weddings/church/plays and concerts with ticketed seats and no more than 5 min late for a social commitment (and never early for social events).

DH shows up to business meetings 40 min after he's said he'll be there. I know he's technically their boss, but I think it's rude, and it drives me crazy.
    Ooh, this is what drives me crazy about H. Sometimes, I wish I would have made timeliness a deal breaker before we got married! He is always making me late. I'm always standing around waiting for him ready to walk out the door while he's still finishing up shaving. It's not that hard. Just get up 10 minutes earlier, for Pete's sake!

He also has no problem speeding. For the most part, I try not to drive more than 5 mph over the speed limit. He speeds a lot more than that all the time. He's gotten speeding tickets in the past. Before we moved, he was pulled over for speeding three times in just a few months, but never got a ticket. He thinks he doesn't have to obey the limit because it's silly or stupid and it should be higher. Which may be true but doesn't mean the law shouldn't be followed. It makes me mad because it doesn't just affect HIM. It's OUR finances that are affected if he gets a ticket and our insurance rates go up. 
  • Options
    He is always making me late. I'm always standing around waiting for him ready to walk out the door while he's still finishing up shaving. It's not that hard. Just get up 10 minutes earlier, for Pete's sake!

YES, YES, YES.  My DH too.  Drives me INSANE.  I can not tell you how many times I've been waiting on him to get his stuff together while I just stand there SO aggravated because I KNEW he'd be late and told him to get his crap together the night before so we could save some time....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FSUNole31FSUNole31 member
    edited April 2017
    I love all holidays now that I have kids.  I love getting them themed outfits and if the occasion calls for it a little gift or two.  I think it is fun and they are only kids once so why not enjoy the magic of it?  Editing to add...we are also teaching them religious aspects of Easter and Christmas so it isn't all about gifts, but I do like to make it special for them.
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Options
    OK, I have two. First, I hate Pinterest and all the expectations that come from us being the Pinterest generation of parents. What happened to simple snacks for class parties, simple valentines, simple birthday parties, etc.? No everything has to be Pinterest worthy. Second, I don't like fancy girly nurseries. They remind me of formal living rooms that you are not allowed to sit in. I also know that my Harry Potter nurseries are not other people's style. I also admit I am one of those people who don't like girly things in general though and prefer nerdy things LOL

• Options
    danij0danij0 member
    edited April 2017
    I'm a rule follower and always on time! As I get older I care less about people being late for things and just realize it's something I have to deal with.

Totally agree on the teacher thing. Don't get me wrong it is a tough job, but the amount of teachers on my FB friends list that complain ALL the time is ridiculous - I especially hate when they complain about getting or not getting a snow day when the rest of us know we'll be driving in to work in a foot of snow either way.

ETA: @graceriesz I'm a Hufflepuff and proud of it.
    Actually my UO is I think Hufflepuff is actually the best house and I think Gryffindor has the least beneficial characteristics for the real world.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @HgPa I agree with you for the most part.  And especially with the examples you gave.  But I do think some medical professionals may use interventions for their own sake of time or ease.  I have experience with this and although my birth turned out perfect there are things I wish I would have questioned or pushed back on in the moment.  
    So I believe being educated and standing up for yourself in appropriate times is necessary.  I think some people totally go to far and put themselves and their baby at risk and that is dumb.  I don't think it has to be black and white.  It's good to have an open dialogue with your doctor.  
  • Options
    I grew up very much a rule follower.  I'm a little more laid back now but still follow most rules to a T. Like I will totally sneak candy into a movie but I wouldn't sneak into another theater.  

I also think it's very rude to be late.  DH and I are both early people even with 2 toddlers.  It drives me nuts when people say they will be somewhere at a time and aren't.  

I think teachers should definitely be paid more.  They are teaching the future.  I'm not sure I would say they "deserve" breaks but I think their schedule is a benefit of the profession.  I hate that they can't take vacation and sick time easily but I understand how that's hard.  

The preschool/elementary/ whatever graduations are so silly.  Why is this a thing?? Although I will probably cry when DD graduated preschool lol.  When I was in 8th grade we had a end of the year breakfast/banquet during school and there were awards and speakers but it wasn't a graduation. I remember it so well and it felt big at the time.  

Add me to the Easter is not Christmas club.  Im not sure if people go more over the top now than when we were young or if it's just shoved in our faces more with Facebook and Pinterest.  I like to keep things simple.  It can still be special.  Holidays are about family time to me and I want my kids to know that . 
  • Options
    @JessyKV oh I am all about the family time at holidays.  That is one of my favorite aspects of it.  I tend to fill their Easter baskets maybe a bit too much, but we are teaching them that there is more to it than gifts.  I also need to teach myself some self control.  ;)
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14

• Options
    Also add me to the always on time or half hour early club.  If I am right on time I feel late.  I feel most comfortable getting to places at least half hour early just to make sure I am not late. 
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14

• Options
    Obviously a UO I don't mind pre-k, 5th grade, or 8th grade "graduations." I think it's more for the look what you did, you accomplished 3, 4, 5 years with passing grades and now you get to go the next school to start the next chapter of your education to get you to college. Every grade gets an award ceremony, but when you leave one school to go to the next I think it could be celebrated even with an extra certificate. 
  • Options
    FSUNole31 said:
    @JessyKV oh I am all about the family time at holidays.  That is one of my favorite aspects of it.  I tend to fill their Easter baskets maybe a bit too much, but we are teaching them that there is more to it than gifts.  I also need to teach myself some self control.  ;)
    I think I also keep baskets simple because my kids also get baskets from my IL's, my mom and my aunt (she helped raise me so she's like a grandma to my kids) by the end of all that I'm so overwhelmed by all the stuff I keep it super simple.  I know I should just be grateful so many people like to spoil my kids! 
  • Options
    We don't do Santa or the Easter bunny, but I do like to make holidays fun. We are Christian, so some holidays are centered around that, but we still do Elf on a Shelf and Christmas presents and egg hunts/baskets (albeit simple ones). I'm also that mom who decorates and makes special food for St. Patrick's Day and Valentine's Day. I enjoy doing it! 
  • Options
    @danij0 oh I am totally a proud hufflepuff, in fact someone already got my a Hufflepuff onesie for this LO. I wouldn't want to be any other house! #hufflepuffsunite!