October 2016 Moms
Options

Reasons I Smiled Today - April Edition

Hey!  Motherhood (and life in general) is hard.  What made you smile today? Big or small, let's hear it.

Re: Reasons I Smiled Today - April Edition

• Options
    I get to leave work early today which means I get more time with S.  It sucks that the reason is to take her to the doctor but its still extra time together :).
  • Options

Watermelon + Tajin for a late morning snack today at work.  Yummmmm

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wrote up a realistic workout schedule for my out-of-shape self to follow, completed my first full workout this morning (my legs hurt so good!), I am two days into my vegetarian, bread, and sugar-free diet, and I am finally feeling great and motivated to do this!

My aunt who raised me jump started this two days ago. She was looking at me dead serious and asked "Allyson, tell me the truth, is there a reason you're putting on so much weight? I mean- are you pregnant again?"

That did it for me. I know she said it out of genuine concern, and wasn't trying to hurt my feelings, and she didn't. It just made me realize when the woman who has told me I am too skinny my whole teenage and adult life is concerned about my weight gain, something's gotta give!
  • Options
    I stuck to my self-prescribed exercise regimen for a whopping 6 days.  OOPS. haha.  Glad you got the motivation you were looking for!
  • Options
    I also started doing some yoga, and I totally see what the hype is all about now. I was so happy and relaxed and it was just so peaceful and enjoyable... seriously recommend!
  • Options
    Are you just using youtube videos?
  • Options
    Nah, I have some Brazil Butt Lift dvds from Beach Body, and my friend gave me the copy of p90x Yoga out of the p90x dvd pack so I'm using that, but I bet YouTube yoGA would be just as good! 
  • Options

B either has some sort of allergy or teething issues. He was up until 2:30 am miserable with a stuffy nose.  H and I switch off nights being "on call" for getting up in the middle of the night if need be - which is usually not necessary - but last night was my night.  We ended up camped out on his bedroom floor for many hours just snuggling and lightly dozing in and out.  He would reach out and hold my fingers or press his tiny little dimpled hands against my eyelids in his fitful sleep.  It was so sweet that, even though I missed out on my precious sleep, it truly felt like quality time with him.

Bonus: I don't feel exhausted today like I expected which gives me high hopes for my state of mind during our long drive coming up!

• Options
    @Kgridley27 Hope he is feeling better and that both of you can get a restful sleep tonight. 
  • Options
    @Kgridley27 That is such a sweet description  <3 How did you make sleeplessness sound so precious??? Haha
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I think they call it sleep deprived delirium ;)
  • Options
    My little girl has started sticking her tongue out and it's the cutest thing EVER!
  • Options
    Storm sat up all by herself yesterday.  H laid her in the pack n play for a min and when he came back she was sitting.  I didn't get to see it, but it still makes me so happy that she's hitting her milestones.
  • Options
    I smiled today 'cause you ladies are wonderful hoomans who stick up for each other and practice kindness every day.
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 awesome! She pulled herself up into a sit?
  • Options
    @kgridley27 Yep!  The night before I had her sitting up on the bed, but that was me actually sitting her up, and then her being able to hold it on her own.  But in the pack n play, he laid her down on her back and she sat up on her own.
  • Options
    That's wonderful.  You must be one proud mama :)
  • Options
    That's so cool she's sitting up! 
  • Options
    Johnny got up on his hands and knees like he wanted to crawl like that, but he just rocked back and forth, then plopped back down on his belly to crawl. Not sure if I'm excited, or nervous... he's already a curious little maniac trying to fiddle faddle with ev-ry-thing!

What is REALLY making me smile today, is the spontaneous living room sexy time that happened last night out of nowhere. I mean at first we were just talking and cuddling and joking around, next thing you k ow BAM. Mom just got laid  B)
  • Options
    I just "found" a $50 e-gift card to Barnes and Noble I got from using credit card reward points way back in August.  I thought I had already used it, but I found it still loaded when I ordered myself a new $50 gift card with points.  So now I have $100 in book money burning a hole in my digital pocket :D
  • Options
    @Kgridley27 Huzzah! Recommend any good reads?
  • Options
    I'm 8 days into my diet and workout routine and haven't faltered! That's a really big deal for me :)
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid what genres are you into? I could read all day every day if given the chance so I hope I'd have something you will like up my sleeve :)
  • Options
    @kgridley27 Science Fiction, Political Science, Horror, some Fantasy, and Harry Potter. Because that's a genre all its own ;)
  • Options

@AllyTheKid try the Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss if you haven't tried it yet. Book one is The Name of the Wind.  Awesome world-building like HP, very likeable protagonist (IMO), lots of characters who feel "real" despite it being a fantasy series.  I just reread the first two and am eagerly awaiting the third.

+1 HP deserves its own genre.  It has its own shelf of honor in my house :)

If you're at all interested in non-fiction you may enjoy Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.  It was really popular a few years back.  It's two stories at once about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and America's "first" serial killer.  Really interesting read and still sticks with me years later.

Maybe we should start a general recommendations thread for books, tv, movies, music, etc.  Could be fun!

• Options
    I think Storm is learning how to kiss :).  She doesn't pucker up but she starting putting her open mouth to mine when I say I want a kiss.  Love it!!
  • Options
    @Kgridley27 Thanks! The second book- is that about H.H. Holmes??? I have a fascination with non-fiction true crime (specifically serial killers so that sounds like a good read!

@ladybug2821 Oh my gosh how precious!
  • Options
    S loved her first time in the pool. She splashed and kicked like crazy. She was smiling and talking the whole time. Next time we will take the float. 
  • Options
    How cute! I can't wait til its warm enough to take Johnny to the pool :)
  • Options
    Because it's Harry Potter weekend B)

Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Because my Johnny turned 7-months-old yesterday!
    Unbelievable, where is the time going?
  • Options
    Feeling pretty good today. Was able to walk while at work and take S for a walk when I got home. It was nice out this morning so was also able to walk.  S only had one wake up so that was nice. I guess technically she is considered to be STTN because she's sleeping 7-8 hrs straight before waking up. Sleep training starts tonight :)
  • Options
    Yay for long sleep stretches! And best of luck with sleep training!
  • Options
    I had a really great memorial weekend, how about you ladies?
    We went to the lake and saw a bunch of SO's family and had a good time. He has been doing great, and we start couples' counseling Thursday.
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid Ours was good! We went swimming and just layed low playing at the house and going for walks. Only downer is the husband and I fought all weekend :/
  • Options

@allythekid Glad to hear you guys are going to counseling.  Hopefully that will make a difference.  I had a 4 day weekend and did not want to come back to work.  I enjoyed my time so much with S.  We also went to the pool and took a few walks, and went to a BBQ Competition.

@fitlady21 Sorry to hear about you and your H.  I wanted to go off on my H last night.  He knows the rules of sleep training.  The loud thunder had woken S up a couple times.  She would cry for barely and minute but then go back to sleep.  He just so happened to come home right when it happened again and for some reason decided it was a good idea to just go in there.  I have no idea WTF he was thinking and it pissed me off so bad.  I told him we have to be consistent and he goes in there when she was barely even crying.  I don't know if he just had a lapse in judgment and wasn't thinking and just reverted back to old ways, but I was SO mad.  I told him don't ever go in there again unless I say lol.

• Options
    @fitlady21 Sorry to hear about that, I hope that's all been resolved though! At least the rest of your weekend was nice, right?
    My only downside was I had (have) diverticulitis and have had miserable abdominal pain.
  • Options
    brzvicebrzvice member
    @fitlady21 H and I had a fight last week and are on the mend now but jeesh fighting sure does suck and is so draining. Its easier to get along but my stubbornness unfortunately has been known to drag the crap out of the fight ending in both of us feeling pretty spent. I'm glad I am not the only one of us on this board that goes through ups and downs in relationships.
    @AllyTheKid also glad to hear you are going through with counseling. Fx that positive changes happen and old habits don't slip back, we all know change is hard 
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid Yes we are doing better for the most part.

@brzvice We totally have ups and downs! Often times in the same day haha. Having a kid really does take a toll on us.