October 2017 Moms
Options

Your L&D Story

I know it's been discussed in a few separate threads but I would love to hear everyone's L&D stories in one place. 
As a FTM, I've pretty worried about how it will go for me. I don't think I know enough about pain management, how quickly it can progress, and it didn't dawn on me to ask if a birth photographer could be in the room. 

So share away ladies!
Rants/Raves
Did it compare to what you expected?
What will you (try to) do differently this time?
Other than the mesh undies everyone says are a must, what else should no mom be without? 
Was it your dr that delivered or the on call doc?

**April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Your L&D Story

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    PizzaMonster3PizzaMonster3 member
    edited April 2017
    ETA Thank you for sharing your stories!!

Questions:
    do they have your belly hooked up to monitors to check status of baby? Is that why they rushed in @carries2018?

Is an ultrasound an option to check cord position? Or does it even matter since baby is moving around so much? 

do they leave a needle/catheter in your spine to repush epidural meds? Did y'all know about walking epidural when you requested yours? 

What did "back labor" feel like to you? Were you predisposed because of uterus tilt? 

Did the nicu facilities affect your choice in hospital? 
    **April Siggy Challenge**Baby Animals**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @PizzaMonster3 to address a few of your questions - Yes, the monitors were around my belly to keep on eye on baby. The epidural stays in your spine, with a tube taped up your back, and you can push the meds if necessary (mine was set up so I could only push the button every so often).
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    SaveSave
  • Options
    do they have your belly hooked up to monitors to check status of baby? Is that why they rushed in @carries2018? yes, there are two like remote thingys they put on your stomach to track HR and something else? i dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  haha. but there are monitors all over the place tracking ish.

Is an ultrasound an option to check cord position? Or does it even matter since baby is moving around so much? no they didn't, i would imagine there isn't much time for that if the baby is in distress, bc whatever the reason something is stopping the baby from coming out. cords wrapped around is pretty common, but there obviously are times it is posing a threat like it did in our case. ideally the monitors tell the story, which thankfully it did for us. with DD2 every u/s i was like WHERE IS THE CORD?! IS IT AROUND HER NECK?! and they would always tell me "it doesnt matter, bc where ever it is now it won't be tomorrow."

do they leave a needle/catheter in your spine to repush epidural meds? Did y'all know about walking epidural when you requested yours? i have no idea TBH that ish grosses me out. there is like a tube or something in there to give you more. but i have no idea if that is standard or what. i didnt even want to know. heebie jeebies. and i have no idea what a walking epidural is. mine didnt have legs ;)

What did "back labor" feel like to you? Were you predisposed because of uterus tilt? it was like period like cramps radiating around your love handles to your back. before the water broke it wasn't very painful for me. but i read about back labor so that is how i knew they were real contractions. it was like period cramps hugging you all the way around.

Did the nicu facilities affect your choice in hospital?  not really, i naively didn't think we would need it (thankfully we didn't). however my hospital isn't equipped to have babies before 34 weeks. so if i were to go into labor before that they would send you to the city.

DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • Options
    @PizzaMonster3
    do they have your belly hooked up to monitors to check status of baby?  Yes, because the want to watch their heart rate. 

Is an ultrasound an option to check cord position? Or does it even matter since baby is moving around so much? I know that they can see it on an ultrasound but I don't know more than that. 

do they leave a needle/catheter in your spine to repush epidural meds? Did y'all know about walking epidural when you requested yours? Yes and Yes. They leave a catheter and typically it is still hooked up, I had a button I could push for more meds every few minutes. A walking epidural doesn't always mean that you can still walk, its just a different set of drugs. I personally never really gave it serious consideration.

What did "back labor" feel like to you? Were you predisposed because of uterus tilt? Super intense lower back pain is the only way I know to describe it. It came with a normal contraction, would hurt as soon as the contraction started and wouldn't let up until it was over. It was kind of a pressure pain combined with muscle pain, if that makes sense. I wasn't predisposed to it because of tilt, but a lot of times it can happen because of the position of the baby.

Did the nicu facilities affect your choice in hospital? Sort of. I knew I was going to deliver at the hospital that was nearest to us, and they also have a level 3 NICU which is as good as it gets. I think for a first time mom, knowing which hospitals have the better NIC

• Options
    @PizzaMonster3 At my hospital, especially when you're preterm you're not allowed to not be connected to the fetal monitoring, especially if your water broke. So I was stuck in bed basically from the time I got there because I wasn't allowed to get up because my water broke. I knew if they were confining me to a bed I needed an epidural, I'm a walk through the pain kinda girl. They leave the epidural catheter in to give you a continuous infusion of pain medication, the 2nd time around I got a PCEA which allows you to give yourself boluses with a button push if you're feeling more pain. Nobody checked cord position and I think it may be difficult to visualize on ultrasound. Both my girls were born with the cord wrapped around at least once but it didn't cause them any issues, probably because they were early. 

• Options
    Its just crazy to me how everybody has such a different experience.
    I woke up on a Saturday (38w5d) feeling different, like a heaviness in my belly.  I went about my day, but took it easy.  By noon I was starting to feel faint, inconsistent contractions.  I spent the rest of the day/evening at home watching movies and trying to relax, thinking "is this it?!?"  By 10pm the contractions were coming on stronger, but still not super consistent.  At midnight I went to the hospital only to find out I was only 1cm dialated! They had me walk around the floor for a couple of hours trying to get labor to progress.  The contractions were bad enough that I would have to stop walking and just focus on breathing through them.  When I was checked again around 5am I measured at 3cm and the triage nurse kind of forced me to 4cm so that I could be admitted and also gave me some painkillers. I have a blood disorder, so an epidural was out of the question so they gave me Nubain (an opiate to help take the edge off), which I would push a button to get more every 5 minutes or so.  Because the nurses weren't used to administering Nubain they failed to realize that I could only receive so much of it, so I had a period where I would have to go long stretches without it so that I didn't run out of my allotment and I was in so.much.pain.  At around 8cm I felt I needed to push, but my cervix obviously wasn't ready for that and I think that was the worst part (practice your kegels!) I finally reached 10cm around 10pm and pushed for about 30 minutes before baby boy arrived.  Total labor was about 34 hours.

Did it compare to what you expected? I didn't really have any expectations other than that it was going to be a painful experience, so yes I guess so, I just couldn't have ever imagined how painful it was.
    What will you (try to) do differently this time? Go in with a better plan for pain management.
    Other than the mesh undies everyone says are a must, what else should no mom be without? Nightime nursing bra (no wire), extra pillow(s), dermoplast spray (usually offered by the hospital, I think), Tucks
    Was it your dr that delivered or the on call doc? I was with the on-call doctor the whole time.  My OB came to visit my the day after, spent about 5 minutes checking me out and that was it.  I went with a different OB this time around ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Jason's birth story

On Thursday 2/12 at 12:15am I woke up because I felt a low twinge of pain and decided to get up to go to the bathroom.  I noticed that the pee just kept on coming when I realized it wasn’t pee!  I told Jeff that I thought my water had broken.  I was still a little unsure, but as he was packing a bag for himself (yes he refused to do this early) the water kept coming and I became surer.  When we got to the hospital we got checked in and sent to triage at about 1:15.  By the time we got there my pants were soaked!

I had an internal exam on Wednesday where I was 1 cm dilated and 20% effaced.  By the time I was checked in triage I was still 1 cm but I was 60% effaced.  I wasn’t feeling much pain at all and we had to wait a little while for a labor and delivery room to be ready.  There was a problem when I checked in so that there was some mismatch in my file and I didn’t have a number.  The nurses got that all fixed and started my IV.  After about an hour they started a low dose of pitocin.  They gradually increased the dosage so that I was eventually at 12 milliunits/minute.  By that time I was feeling the pain and I was internally checked again.  I was still at 1 cm but I was 90% effaced.  I was really feeling the contractions right on top of each other and I asked about getting some pain medication.  Dr. Steven’s was the doctor on call and she didn’t really want to give me an epidural yet.  The nurse suggested a walking epidural, which the Dr. had not even heard of.  That is what I ended up getting around 11 am.

I was feeling much better for about an hour and then I started to feel the contractions again.  I was trying to wait them out but they became very painful and started coming right on top of each other again.  At about 12:15 pm I called for my nurse and then we called again at 12:30.  This whole time I was in so much pain that I just kept screaming ouch over and over again.  Finally at 12:45 a passing nurse heard me and came in to see what the matter was.  She checked me quickly and told me I was at 4 or 5 cm.  I was shocked since I still expected to be at 1 or 2.  They quickly got the epidural set up.  I was so happy to have had the walking epi since the catheter was already in and they just had to switch the meds.

By 1:05 I was feeling so much better!  I could still feel the contractions, but they weren’t nearly as bad.  Around 2 I called the nurse because I felt like I really needed to make a bowel movement.  She came in and said that it was probably the baby.  She checked me and sure enough I was 9 cm and almost ready to go.  Everything happened in a flurry after that.  By 3 pm I was ready to start pushing.  They had to give me oxygen because the baby’s heart rate dropped a bit while I was pushing.  Most of the time the Dr. wasn’t even in the room.  She came in for the last few minutes of pushing.  Jason was born at 3:32. 

They laid him on my belly and of course I started crying.  Jeff got to cut the cord and we both looked at the baby and cleaned him off.  They took the baby to the warmer to measure everything.  He got 9s on both of his Apgar scores.  I had 3 small tears, but when I asked if I should have done the episiotomy the doctor immediately said no.  Jason was so awake for the rest of that day that the nurse commented on it multiple times. 

Did it compare to what you expected? Kind of,  I didn't know that it would feel so much like I needed to poop when it was time to push
    What will you (try to) do differently this time? I will talk about this in my 2 daughter's posts, but I am so glad I got a mirror to watch the baby being born!  It helped me push correctly and it was amazing to see!
    Other than the mesh undies everyone says are a must, what else should no mom be without? honestly just someone to support you.  You can make do without almost everything else!
    Was it your dr that delivered or the on call doc? My Dr. office had just taken on a new Dr.  I had met and really liked the other two, but did not like this lady at all!  She just rubbed me the wrong way and she was let go shortly after this birth

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I really want to go epidural-free (barring anything unexpected) but it does scare me a lot. I can take pain, it's the fear of the unknown that gets to me. 

Any med-free mamas do anything beforehand to prepare for the pain? Lamaze, etc? I want to feel positive and prepared about the choice, because I know if I go in wishy-washy, I'll end up getting the epidural. 

• Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 I read a lot of ina may gaskin and some other natural pain med free birth stories. During labor I tried to relax as much as possible, kept positive and open thoughts, and visualized each contraction opening the cervix. Also visualized the wave of contractions as an actual wave so I could see myself getting to the top of each one and come down. There came a point were it seemed impossible to go on, but at that point it was time to push and I think I acted in fear because that was the part I was most afraid of.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker