October 2017 Moms

Poll - Circumcising or no?

2»

Re: Poll - Circumcising or no?

• Loading the player...
  • Aaaarrrghhh i miss the action. Ill skip the part where i go on about rude comment lacking facts... Or not lol. 
    Being a muslim i am definitely having our baby boy circumcised. 
    I just wanted to add thid : concerning horror stories previously mentionned. This should never be done on kids or men. Even medically, it should be done on babies under 2. (and to satisfy curiosity, our religion advises the same thing lol). Parents who do this to their kids are monsters and men who decide on doing it later in life (as well as the Drs who do it to them) are monsters/crazy!!!! 

I wish there was more medical info on the dos and dont as most articles ive read were either lacking evidence or biased lol 
  • @yasandson Usually when it is performed on older kids/men it is medically necessary due to infection or other complications.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • @yasandson Usually when it is performed on older kids/men it is medically necessary due to infection or other complications.
    Yes! i should ve precised i meant when its not due to medical reasons, my apologies! 
  • I forgot to mention why i said that. I had a friend whose parents just decidex they should ve done it.... And so they made him do it when he was 8. They should be in jail i say! :/
  • yasandson said:
    I forgot to mention why i said that. I had a friend whose parents just decidex they should ve done it.... And so they made him do it when he was 8. They should be in jail i say! :/
    Yeah, that is not okay.  :#
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Never in a million years would I have DS circumsised. I totally respect others though and the decision to do it. I'm such a chicken and am so afraid of some dr screwing up the procedure. We're catholic so it's not part of our religious or cultural practices. I know there are hygienic reasons why some decide to have it done but for us it's out of the question. We wash our son and DH will team him all about that stuff when DS is old enough! 
    Valid choice! I respect your decision and applaud you for sharing. Thank you! It encourages others who are on the fence or opposed to it to feel more comfortable in this discussion. My family is catholic and I know they do not practice circumcision. They grew up just fine and i'm sure my father taught them all they needed to know. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DH is the one with the penis so I told him he gets to decide if we have a boy and he said he would circumsize. 
  • Oh wow.  Busy day...just catching up.  I honestly can say this has not even crossed my mind yet.  I enjoyed reading the (rational) arguments for and against and will obviously be doing some research.  I will probably let DH take the lead o. This one though.  

I know one or two people said...but did you have it done in the hospital before coming home?  Do you need to decide before the baby is born?
  • I did all of the research and discussed the issue with the pediatrician before having DS and as others have written wasn't convinced either way.  I left the decision up to my husband who is European and not circumcised so we decided to not do it with DS. So far its been easy breezy and my husband has never had a problem either.  If we have another boy this time we will do the same.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • roo_baby said:
    I chose no because we're having a girl (sorry for messing up your numbers). If we end up having a boy in the future, then we would have a mohel do it. I've read they have less bad outcomes than doctors and the 8 days after birth really is the least painful time to do it. 

I think if it comes up at dinner I would say something like "We're not talking about our kid's, or anyone else's genitalia at the dinner table. Can you pass the butter?" and leave it at that. roo_baby said:
    I chose no because we're having a girl (sorry for messing up your numbers). If we end up having a boy in the future, then we would have a mohel do it. I've read they have less bad outcomes than doctors and the 8 days after birth really is the least painful time to do it. 

I think if it comes up at dinner I would say something like "We're not talking about our kid's, or anyone else's genitalia at the dinner table. Can you pass the butter?" and leave it at that. 
    Not only that, but before vitamin K injections were given to newborns, the 8th day is when natural vitamin K  peaks in baby's blood stream so there is the least risk of bleeding.  Which I find FASCINATING. 

As for us, we are in the "no" camp as it is not medically necessary and because of having an out of hospital birth they can't do it there and our insurance is deciding to be weird about having it done separately.

That said, boys in my family seem to be prone to hypospadias (peehole in the wrong spot) and the corrective surgery for that typically makes use of the foreskin, so in that case, he likely would be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • sorry my comment is in the quote box.  don't know how that happened.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi ladies. I don't go here, but I'm curious about a comment. @yasandson why is it ok to do to a child under 2, but evil to do to anyone older? Children under 2 feel pain as well. Care to elaborate?
  • cranburyposhcranburyposh member
    edited April 2017

After much thought, consideration and research we have decided not to circumcise if we have a boy. I believe that the fears of many of the "risks" associated with uncircumcised children can easily be avoided and put to rest by simply educating boys properly throughout their childhood and adolescence about genital hygiene, and body hygiene in general. Since my husband and I are agnostic, it was an easy choice for us. 

Regarding your post @Knottie16288692 , I completely agree. Plus, the research that indicates circumcision has significant psychological impact on newborns due to pain disrupting normal sleep patterns, issues with breastfeeding and more crying than those who were not circumcised causing higher levels of distress. 

For those who are still undecided, here are a couple of articles worth reading:

https://www.circumcision.org/response.htm

https://www.nocirc.org/publish/pamphlet3.html

Edit: Fixed links.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did not circumcise my son because I wanted him to be like his father, but also because I knew 3 mom's who had the surgery to their sons a month or so before i had my son,  and each one was done wrong - too much cut off,  not enough cut,  and one that was uneven to the point that surgery needed to happen again. 

No thanks.  It's strictly cosmetic.
  • @migdala I am very science, facts, logic oriented too. I wish there was a firmer recommendation on this topic. :\
    As long as you teach them to pull the skin back and wash,  there are no issues
  • If we have a son we will circ. 
  • I left the decision up to my husband but none of our sons are circumcised and if this baby is a boy, we won't circumcise. When our pediatrician came to the hospital to ask if we wanted it done and we said no, he was relieved and said it was for the best. We're Catholic so we have no religious reason to do so. I was kind of surprised to see the poll leaning so heavily towards circumcision; I thought I had read that it's roughly half and half in America nowadays.