May 2017 Moms
Options

Change OB at 32 weeks

Today I got referred to another OB from a nurse working at my OBs. She was supposedly covering from another place and was apologetic that she was having problems with the computer at my OB. I told her no problem it's not the first time I've had several problems here. She then asked about details and I continued to tell her how they "Forgot" that I was having my diabetes test I had to remind them after waiting 3 hours in the waiting room and another 30mins in the exam room. Had them ask me if I knew if I was suspose to get a blood draw during an appointment. Was told the appointment was done and was about to leave and then had the doctor pull me back in to complete an appt. They keep not scheduling me correctly as in one month they scheduled my next 3 months later I had to call and correct them. I have been having frequent urination and concentrated urine the whole pregnancy and they keep telling me it's because I am dehydrated. I tell them I track my water intake and am drinking so much I would probaly die if I drank more. Aka yesterday I drank 96oz of plain water and still having concentrated urine. Didn't believe me and Now at 32 weeks they are barley looking into things that may be causing it. Lots of other problems. the only reason I have stayed is becuase no other doctor would take my insurance. I have even thought about not coming anymore and just showing up at the hospital when I am in labor. The nurse I talked to said she has my insurance and they take it as she's pregnant too. I got the phone number but I don't think they will accept me but I'm thinking of calling to try but if I try and they don't accept me is my OB going to know I feel as if she would probably give me even more problems if that happened. As I believe they don't like me already as in there will only be two other people here I come in before them they go in and leave 30minutes before I ever even get to a room then wait another 30mins before seeing anyone.

Has anyone else had these problems, do you think I am just over reacting. My husband thinks I am but how do you not know what your patient is coming in for. Shouldn't it be in my paper work or something.

Re: Change OB at 32 weeks

• Options
    I don't know if it's so much about you overreacting or not, but about if you're comfortable or not with the overall office as many of the issues seem like overall staff issues.  It sounds like you're not, so I would call that other OB to see if they can take you on.  I wouldn't worry about what your current OB might think if you try to switch (and how would she even know, and even if she did know, unless she's crazy unethical, her treatment of care shouldn't decline.) Unfortunately, it sounds like that is your only other option (not going in at all up until the delivery seems way too risky to me), so it's definitely worth a shot!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First off, calling another OB to ask if they will take you doesn't mean that your OB will find out. In fact, there is no reason why they would unless the new office requests a transfer of records.

If that is the only other OB that will take your insurance, you might be out of luck. I switched to my current OB during my last pregnancy after my 24 week appointment and they basically told me that I was at their cutoff. They will not take new patients once 3rd trimester has started. If the new OB is of the same mentality you might be stuck with your current OB.

I agree with pp, why would you wait until week 32 if you have been having all kinds of problems with them?  You blame them for not listening to you and yet you chose to stay with them all of this time. I know there are limitations with insurance but I'm pretty sure all carriers provide a list of doctors that they are in network with and the fact that you weren't proactive enough to find a new provider falls all on you. Honestly, I highly doubt that your waiting time has anything with how much they like you or not but it's all about how ineffectively they run their office. In any case, it sounds to me like you haven't advocated for yourself enough if they are saying/doing things that you are disagreeing with and you haven't spoken up enough or haven't sought out an office that works better for you. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    Today I got referred to another OB from a nurse working at my OBs. She was supposedly covering from another place and was apologetic that she was having problems with the computer at my OB. I told her no problem it's not the first time I've had several problems here. She then asked about details and I continued to tell her how they "Forgot" that I was having my diabetes test I had to remind them after waiting 3 hours in the waiting room and another 30mins in the exam room. Had them ask me if I knew if I was suspose to get a blood draw during an appointment. Was told the appointment was done and was about to leave and then had the doctor pull me back in to complete an appt. They keep not scheduling me correctly as in one month they scheduled my next 3 months later I had to call and correct them. I have been having frequent urination and concentrated urine the whole pregnancy and they keep telling me it's because I am dehydrated. I tell them I track my water intake and am drinking so much I would probaly die if I drank more. Aka yesterday I drank 96oz of plain water and still having concentrated urine. Didn't believe me and Now at 32 weeks they are barley looking into things that may be causing it. Lots of other problems. the only reason I have stayed is becuase no other doctor would take my insurance. I have even thought about not coming anymore and just showing up at the hospital when I am in labor. The nurse I talked to said she has my insurance and they take it as she's pregnant too. I got the phone number but I don't think they will accept me but I'm thinking of calling to try but if I try and they don't accept me is my OB going to know I feel as if she would probably give me even more problems if that happened. As I believe they don't like me already as in there will only be two other people here I come in before them they go in and leave 30minutes before I ever even get to a room then wait another 30mins before seeing anyone.

Has anyone else had these problems, do you think I am just over reacting. My husband thinks I am but how do you not know what your patient is coming in for. Shouldn't it be in my paper work or something.
    QFP.

That's too bad you're dealing with these issues.

HAVE YOU DISCUSSED these specific concerns with your doctor? If so, and you are not happy with her reply, then seek another opinion. If not, then you should speak up and present your concerns, giving her the chance to address them. That's only fair.

You said "the only reason I have stayed is because no other doctor would take my insurance" and you now have the number of another OB and are hesitant about calling. (1) You won't find out for sure if this second OB office takes your insurance until you call and ask. (2) If you call the second OB, then No, your current OB would not automatically find out. Even if she did, that's not a good enough reason to avoid making the phone call. This is regarding your health! (3) You obviously have reservations about how your current OB office operates and provides your prenatal care. You owe it to yourself to find somewhere else to go. At least make an appointment to meet the new OB for a consultation and checkup.

(4) Your feelings of "they don't like me" and "she would probably give me more problems" if you switched doctors are clearly hindering any sort of logical thought process here. You should try to take those thoughts out of the picture as you move forward with finding a new provider, as they'll only muddle things in your mind. Stick to the issues you've mentioned, e.g., concerns about lack of urine concentration testing, not having a specific schedule of blood tests to refer to, and in general having to wait so long at every appointment. KEEP IN MIND that these issues could present themselves with any provider. 

(5) Be sure to confirm that this new OB is approved to practice/deliver at the hospital you've chosen.

Lastly, regarding the statement that you've considered not going to any more prenatal appoinments and just going to the hospital once you're in labor: That's not a good idea! You owe it to your baby to continue getting care. A lot of problems could arise in the final weeks and you need to maintain a standard level of care.

I can't stress enough that "just showing up" at the hospital is unwise, especially since you haven't explored these other options yet (conversing with your current doc, meeting with another doc). The baby needs to be monitored and cared for appropriately while you sort this all out. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think everyone has covered my initial thoughts. I 2nd talking to your actual provider about the issues. If you still feel no resolve the next step would be checking to find out another OB does in fact take your insurance. You can go from there....
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    ...wat?

Also: about them taking people who got there later before you: if the appointment is scheduled at a certain time they might actually have an earlier time than you. Just a thought.
  • Options
    @vrj0522 that's one of my favorite bump drama memes. Thank you!

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    vrj0522 said:
    @thistlenweeds - I think you meant to say:

That's where i get my 'wat', yes, not to be confused with illiteracy. Lol.
  • Options
    Are there no other OBs at that practice? It seems like if these have been persistent concerns, it would have been good to talk to someone else earlier. 

May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    ...wat?

Also: about them taking people who got there later before you: if the appointment is scheduled at a certain time they might actually have an earlier time than you. Just a thought.
    AND sometimes they're seeing other providers. This happened all the time at the office I used to work at. People would get so upset " I was here first!" Yo, calm down. They're seeing a different Dr. than you.
    Oh yeah, forgot that. That too, obviously, there are like 6 OBs in my practice.
  • Options
    @WombThereItIs - Mine too! One must not miss the chance to use it.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    SKZW said:
    Paging @trytry38ever... are you still with us?  :)

She hasn't been active since the literal minute she posted this. 
  • Options
    kat81kat81 member
    Switch or stay the course; don't go without care. I would see if someone else takes your insurance. It's better to jump in to something new at the end than it is to stick with something you know is bad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @kat81 I like to do a combo of serious answer, with a splash of snark
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    I need to know what gbcb is @Jens_Hoes
  • Options
    @yiggle09 it's "goodbye cruel bump" and is usually done on a temper-tantrum "I don't want to play with you anymore" kind of way. They take their ball and go home with it basically. Haha
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Options
    Thank you all for your answers the reason I have not been active because I am honestly busy all the time. Also I do not understand how this forum works as with my previous pregnancy we did not have all this you can only post here and not for these reasons and weekly updates and etc. we posted if we had a question or concern to get answers and used the search to find any related stories. Since this is my second pregnancy all the normal questions and stuff I have already looked up read about and expirenced so only advice that I need is anything out of the norm. Honestly I am not even sure this is the same website I had been active on in my previous pregnancy and I try not to provide personal information over internet. So I will not be doing a introduction, giving date of birth, etc sometimes I might give more then I intended to but I really try not to. I don't mind the judgement You may think I'm stupid or inadequate or whatever to your standards but everyone has different life's and to each there own.

I did not know how switching doctors normally works as I never had a problem before. I would have thought the first thing they would do is request the documents from the other doctor if I was accepted in which I would still have to meet the new doctor and make sure it's not the same there. Then if I decided to stay at my current have to deal with them. 

I went though my directory of providers several times. I called insurance to verify that they did not have a different list. Even called my previous doctor to verify that they no longer take my insurance since they are still on the directory. As I said in my original post a nurse had told me about a different doctor that she says does take my insurance they are not on the directory that my insurance has provided. Unfortunately as I had previously thought I was not able to transfer as they do not take my insurance. I was really hoping they would and I would be able to transfer.  If I was able to I was hoping someone might have insight on a transfer this late. Like another person has said most all my problems have been with staff and organization till recently and it just piles up expecally when a nurse is telling you to switch to a different doctor becuase she thinks they aren't great.
     It seems like now it's getting closer to delivery they are stressing about things not normally stressed about and everything is still coming out fine. As everyone's expirence and pregnancy is different it is understandable how you can judge since you are not in my shoes. My insurance in a popular on as I never would have figured so many would not accept it. I appreciate the real answers I received. As for the good bye bump post sorry but I may or may not post again depending on if I find time or need advice in which I hope those who truly like to help will reply.
  • Options
    Thank you for your incouragement that is how I feel too. I just never would have thought that there where actually bad providers out there.
  • Options
    No there are no other providers in the practice only one doctor and two main nurses. 
  • Options
    SNIP**

Honestly I am not even sure this is the same website I had been active on in my previous pregnancy and I try not to provide personal information over internet. So I will not be doing a introduction, giving date of birth, etc sometimes I might give more then I intended to but I really try not to. I don't mind the judgement You may think I'm stupid or inadequate or whatever to your standards but everyone has different life's and to each there own.

SNIP***
    No one called you stupid or inadequate.... just sayin
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker