FFFC 3/31

dogperson11dogperson11 member
edited March 2017 in October 2017 Moms
Married November 2009
Clara, August 2014 
Baby Boy due October 2017

Re: FFFC 3/31

• Options
    I don't like participating in Elfster gift exchanges if all people do is have items shipped directly from an Amazon wishlist to their person. It's so impersonal - I could have just bought it myself. I've always shipped things to myself, wrapped them and added a note/card, then shipped to my person.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't like participating in Elfster gift exchanges if all people do is have items shipped directly from an Amazon wishlist to their person. It's so impersonal - I could have just bought it myself. I've always shipped things to myself, wrapped them and added a note/card, then shipped to my person.

Normally I would say yes, but my first exchange I had a Canadian mom and it was so much cheaper shipping from Amazon to her.  I would have spent the allotted amount on shipping alone.  I think there are exceptions.  

I'm beginning to hate them because I normally get the person who fails to send anything out.  And then I'm always the one who does it early.  It just sucks sitting and waiting and watching everyone get all their pretty packages. 

• Options
    I so agree @natleilynn ! I refuse to wear those types of dresses and shirts. I love the cinched sides shirts! 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

• Options
    FFFC: I have no idea what an Elfster gift exchange is!
    It's cool, neither do I. I'm assuming some sort of secret santa? I dunno, I was due in December last time so I probably missed it. lol
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 when I was PG with DD2 , our PAL group did a mug elfster exchange. It was like a secret Santa but we did mugs 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ahh that makes sense! I will say, I am all about the Amazon wrapping services. It's free for me to ship from Amazon, so I say why spend $15+ on shipping multiple gifts at xmas time! Shipping can get so expensive! And they get their gifts wrapped and with a card ;)

• Options
    I feel like pregnancy makes me stink! I need a shower everyday and since I live in a dry climate it's horrible for the skin and hair but my own stink makes me nauseous. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @bluejeanbabi05 @canonmom413 it is a secret santa, Elfster does the task of gathering all the participants and dividing them out and managing the exchange.  My Jan15 group did them for like every occasion.  Christmas, Mother's Day, a mom gift for babies 1st birthday (which I actually loved that idea.)  I didn't do all of them I got burned a couple of times, but the last one we did was great! 
  • Options
    as much as it pains me to say, bc i love getting gifts. i think gifts for adults is dumb. before kids whatever. but now i am buying for a zillion nieces and nephews. the holidays i need to finance for like 17 years. like your SO/parents sure. but every sibling and friend and BMB exchange. i dont care if it is personal or not. i am tapped by the time i get to getting you a gift. here is a gift card, or a candle. sent with love, and resentment.
    So. Much. This.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    I've been shoving my ultrasound picture in everyone's face at work and then I realize that some people might be having trouble TTC and now I feel like a butthole. 
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @feeislove aw man. That really sucks. I would feel awful, I'm sure people can be rational about it and understand though. 

This morning, I woke up 10 minutes before I had to leave. I slapped on some BB cream, some blush, braided my hair, slipped on my leggings and a pull over sweater. It's Friday. The boss is out of town. We have no clients expected, Eff this. I'm in full blown comfort mode.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    as much as it pains me to say, bc i love getting gifts. i think gifts for adults is dumb. before kids whatever. but now i am buying for a zillion nieces and nephews. the holidays i need to finance for like 17 years. like your SO/parents sure. but every sibling and friend and BMB exchange. i dont care if it is personal or not. i am tapped by the time i get to getting you a gift. here is a gift card, or a candle. sent with love, and resentment.
    We are the masters of joint/event gifts. Kiddos will get small gifts (they could not care less how much we spend on them, sometimes I just get them crayons and coloring book and they're thrilled). Our siblings we usually just say let's do something together - a concert, a weekend getaway, a nice "adults only" dinner, etc. And our parents get something from the kids now - even if it's a painting or something. I dare someone to complain about a finger painting by their granddaughter. Dare them.

Also, I have a friend who has a ginormous family and they just draw a name each year with a $20 gift limit. My family is relatively small, but I'd be up for that.
    Huge family here and we do kids and all draw one adult name that we buy for.  I heard a really fun idea of making each Christmas/holiday a theme like "Say Cheese" and you buy a fun gift around the theme.  Could be actually cheese related, camera related, picture related.  I think we are going to try and do this this coming year.  I mean we've all gotten to the point that we are just buying each other gift cards.  Why not make it less about the gift and more about the fun of it all.
  • Options
    I feel like pregnancy makes me stink! I need a shower everyday and since I live in a dry climate it's horrible for the skin and hair but my own stink makes me nauseous. 
    I know what you mean!  The prenatals make my pee smell like I've been gorging on asparagus.  I could shower 3 times a day and feel like I still stink.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    canonmom413canonmom413 member
    edited March 2017
    Myelhsa said:
    FFFC: I think the registry thread is useless.

DIAPER GENIE ROX!
    Diaper Genie is a total waste of money.
    Get a pack 'n' play!
    Youll never use a pack 'n' play...
    A video monitor was my best investment!
    All monitors are stupid, you'll hear them through the door!

^That thread in a nutshell^

I actually loved and needed my monitors. There was no way I could hear my crying baby when I was in the basement/ playroom. The bedrooms are on the top floor. 

FFFC: I haven't had a baby in diapers in over 5 years, but I still buy and use baby wipes everyday. I clean everything with them. From quick kitchen and bathroom counter top wipe up, table wipe downs, dusting, etc. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Myelhsa said:

DIAPER GENIE ROX!
    Get a pack 'n' play!

I love every advice thread I can get my hands on to read, differing opinions or not :)

• Options
    ksf13ksf13 member
    FFFC: I just had a hotdog for lunch! It was delicious. It was also nitrate free and probably OVER cooked out of caution lol, but delicious nonetheless! 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FFFC: How am I a STM and have never heard this nonsense about avoiding nitrates?
    While nitrates aren't the best for anyone , it was never a pregnancy true no no. Hot dogs are more a listeria concern but how many really eat hot dogs cold ? I did as a kid but ewww. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    FFFC: How am I a STM and have never heard this nonsense about avoiding nitrates?
    Same. Is this new? I've had at least 4 hotdogs since my BFP

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

soprano19 said:
    Myelhsa said:

DIAPER GENIE ROX!
    Get a pack 'n' play!

As a FTM, I appreciate everyone's input about their actual experience with various products. That said, I think everyone has a different personal experience with different products, and things that work for one family's lifestyle don't work for another's. Blanket statements like "this is useless" aren't necessarily fact.
    This. I get the general idea, it's cool to hear people's stories, but I remember being so overwhelmed as FTM with everyone's contradictory feedback. 

Like you said, you have to find out what works best for you and your family. My first BMB was super anti-changing table. I have 3 dogs, there's a 0% chance I'm ever going to successfully change that baby on the floor without someone noming on some poop.
  • Options
    @canonmom413 I have a friend that has a kid in diapers BUT she does clean everything (including this kid) with baby wipes.
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dogperson11 side eye away dear, but when your 18 month old is in full defcon 5 meltdown and your 1 hour into a 10 hour car ride, you turn that seat around quicker than you can say jack rabbit.  I am also in a state that only requires RF until 12 months, so nothing illegal here. 
  • Options
    Myelhsa said:

soprano19 said:
    Myelhsa said:

DIAPER GENIE ROX!
    Get a pack 'n' play!

As a FTM, I appreciate everyone's input about their actual experience with various products. That said, I think everyone has a different personal experience with different products, and things that work for one family's lifestyle don't work for another's. Blanket statements like "this is useless" aren't necessarily fact.
    This. I get the general idea, it's cool to hear people's stories, but I remember being so overwhelmed as FTM with everyone's contradictory feedback. 

Like you said, you have to find out what works best for you and your family. My first BMB was super anti-changing table. I have 3 dogs, there's a 0% chance I'm ever going to successfully change that baby on the floor without someone noming on some poop.
    Pretty much what happened to me yesterday with pad thai! I mean, it said RAW sprouts...and I'm pretty sure the sprouts in pad thai are cooked...so...yeah...we'll just go with that...
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @canonmom413 No judgement here. I use baby wipes for EVERYTHING and will long after my LOs are out of diapers. 

I also use the ones with aloe to blow my nose when I have a cold so my nose doesn't start to hurt.
  • Options
    @canonmom413 I will never stop buying wipes. They are perfect for non-bath day baths, giving myself wipe off's if I workout on my lunch break, wiping tough stains on my toddler's face/body and just...yeah. Everything. #teamwipesforlife

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ksf13ksf13 member
    @natleilynn @purplestars @canonmom413 @dogperson11 -- I've always heard to avoid nitrates while pregnant. I'm a STM too and avoided them with DD 4 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I'll still have a toasted sub from Subway occasionally lol. I just try avoid them as much as I can.  Guess it can't hurt anything lol. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'v never understood why people care so much about how other people do car seats. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @natleilynn @purplestars @canonmom413 @dogperson11 -- I've always heard to avoid nitrates while pregnant. I'm a STM too and avoided them with DD 4 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I'll still have a toasted sub from Subway occasionally lol. I just try avoid them as much as I can.  Guess it can't hurt anything lol. 
    I mean, I try to be somewhat careful. I heated up my deli meats. I don't eat hot dogs even when I'm not pregnant. I eat cooked sushi from places I trust. I just feel like this round I'm hearing so much more of things to avoid than I did the last time!

Maybe we should start a thread with all the foods to avoid. I just cannot keep track of them anymore. I blame preggo brain. :wink:

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I side eye people's HDBD pictures when the background looks like a disaster. I would never take a picture of myself with a pile of clothes laying on the floor and just a mess in general behind me. I know I'm probably just being picky but I cringe when I see it.