November 2017 Moms
Options

FTM Questions for STMs Week of 3/26

The last one of these I saw was for 3/11 and buried on pg 2 so I figured I'd start a new one. Thanks to all you STMs+ for answering FTM questions and sharing your knowledge!

Re: FTM Questions for STMs Week of 3/26

• Options
    I selfishly have two questions:
    1) What was the hardest part about having a newborn in your opinion?
    2) Kind of a gross question but what happens after you give birth? You have the baby, they let you see it, and then what? Do you stay in that bed with whatever came out of you? Do you get a shower? This is one of the most mysterious parts of birth to me.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I shouldn't have hit send yet - we hung out with baby until a post partum room was available. They do an okay job of getting rid of the gross sheets for you to sit comfortably for a little bit. Then we went to the new room, I showered and ate something and baby went to the nursery for newborn test. They brought baby back as soon as the tests were done.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    1. Adjusting. I was very, very emotional and overwhelmed a few days after being home. I ended up with an extremely mild case of PPD. I am positive that without my support system, it would have been much worse.

2. I can only speak from a csection birth. I didn't know about gentle csections before I had my emergency CS. Once the docs got him out, they cleaned him up real quick, wrapped him and brought him over to me. My husband held him up to me the entire time they were finishing. I didn't shower until the day after (since I wasn't walking until then). CS or vaginal birth, push yourself (BUT know your limits). I'm positive that's what made my recovery easier than anticipated. 
  • Options
    I know I asked about sleeping arrangements before but I am struggling with what is safe for infant to sleep in all night. Although I love the bassinets, I really want to use something like a pack n play since we will be traveling to NY quite often it would serve a dual purpose. 1. For baby sleep in as a newborn in our room until he/she is ready for crib 2. For travel. 

This is what I am looking at it. Would this be safe for infant?

https://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/travel-lite-crib-with-stages-peyton.aspx

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love reading all the different/unique responses:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @jess0211 Totally safe! Just make sure the sheet you get it is for it and fits snuggly. Don't add any padding (mattress, towels under the pad, anything). 

• Options
    Yup, @av2323. Sleep issues were huge for us. Plus, DH was an intern when our first was born. He would be up with me and baby all night and then have to get to the hospital at 430 or 5am. He'd get home at 8pm and we would repeat the entire thing. Looking back, I'm surprised we made it through. Our second was a better sleeper and DH's hours got (marginally) better - and we had an idea of what we were in for - so that made it easier. I'm hoping that holds for this time too. 

• Options
    @MississippiCatfish that is what I am really concerned about. I can see DHs family in paticular kind of forgetting about me. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kissthesky32 thank you! I was hoping that was the case!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    2) Kind of a gross question but what happens after you give birth? You have the baby, they let you see it, and then what? Do you stay in that bed with whatever came out of you? Do you get a shower? This is one of the most mysterious parts of birth to me.
    1. Definitely marriage. We're obviously on a much different page now but I didn't think we were going to make it. We talk often how terrible it was and how to make sure we don't have a repeat this go. 

2. I had a c-section after a 24 hour labor so life was a blur. I know I didn't get a "shower" until the next day or so? One of the most painful (a little humiliating too) experiences of my life. I cried the entire time and the nurse couldn't have been sweeter. You'll need to use a peri-bottle (a squirt bottle) every time you use the bathroom after delivery. I don't remember how long I used it for but it oddly made me feel better about my life. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jess0211 said:
    I know I asked about sleeping arrangements before but I am struggling with what is safe for infant to sleep in all night. Although I love the bassinets, I really want to use something like a pack n play since we will be traveling to NY quite often it would serve a dual purpose. 1. For baby sleep in as a newborn in our room until he/she is ready for crib 2. For travel. 

This is what I am looking at it. Would this be safe for infant?

https://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/travel-lite-crib-with-stages-peyton.aspx
    A few women on my last BMB used the Pack N Play as a bassinet! As previously mentioned, make sure it's flat with no loose sheets or anything additional added to the sleeping area.

• Options
    1.  Breastfeeding.  Omg it is so terrible and hard at first (and for me terrible and hard the whole time bc I could never make enough milk).  With my first, I totally thought I'd just put the baby on my boob and BOOM.  Easy!  Nope nope nope.  I strongly recommend reading up as much as possible about BFing before you have the baby and having a strong support system in place to get help if you need it in the early days!   My first also wouldn't take a bottle until about 14 weeks so the first 14 weeks were nightmareish.  I didn't have a good support system and I probably had undiagnosed PPD.  It would have been so much better if I had known more and got help sooner.  (Also, being potentially ok with not BFing if it turns out it doesn't work for you.  I was ok with that possibility the second time around, and got help for my PPD and it was sooooo much better!)

2.  I didn't shower until I went home (quick turn around with both and I prefered my own shower), but they do a great job of keeping the gross stuff cleaned up!  Also, I thought I'd want the baby all cleaned off before I held it but when you see your BABY for the first time, you most likely won't care about the gross stuff!  I iust wanted to snuggle them!  <3

• Options
    @TallMomma29 yes! Both of my girls had tongue ties that completely shredded my nipples. It took 7 weeks to get a diagnosis and clipped with my first. With my second I recognized it right away and it was faster. But so painful!
  • Options
    jess0211jess0211 member
    edited March 2017
    So a lot of ladies have mentioned PPD. I am terrified about this because I have a history of depression  (many years ago), an extensive family history of depression and I watched my good friend suffer terribly with PPD to the point I was at her house almost every night after the birth of her twins. I want to make sure that I have the support and guidance I need in the event I experience this.  Is this a concern I should talk to my ob about early on? I have never been more concerned in my life than when my friend suffered and it's really impacted me in terms of what I worry about. I want to be proactive and any advice is welcomed!

Eta clarification 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

1) The first 6-8 weeks were the hardest for me. It took a while to get in the groove, get used to sleep deprivation, work out the kinks of breastfeeding, and just honestly figure out WTF I was doing. I def agree with the ladies who said that it's about the baby and not you, that is 100% how I felt too. It can feel a little isolating at times so just speak up! 

2) With my son, they thought he might have swallowed  some of his own meconium stool (poop) during delivery so they whisked him away as soon as he came out. He was still in the room with me, just a few feet away being checked out. I got him in my arms a few minutes later and all was fine. By that point they had cleaned him up.
    It made me so so so so sad I didnt get to hold him right away. I wanted to hold him the second him came out, goo and slimy and all!! I know it was necessary, just really broke my heart. 
    I agree when the other ladies said they do a good job of cleaning you up. They don't tell you when you poop (yes, YOU WILL POOP but YOU WILL NOT CARE) and hide the blood and stuff from you. The bed I was on kind of folded up at the end and they just have a big ole container underneath and drop all the stuff and that is that!
    For showering- I took a shower in the hospital the next morning. 
  • Options
    @jess0211 yes, absolutely let your ob know you're worried. Nothing can be done now but he/she will know to look out for it at your post partum check up. The important thing is you and your H know what to look for and Take action. It's treatable and there is no shame in it.
  • Options
    @heatherdubrow that was a big part of my problem too and I had a terrible pedi who insisted it wasn't a big deal.  Ugh I wish I had switched pedis sooner! 

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge

1 SLEEP DERIVATION. Enough said.

2....for me it has been.....push baby out, baby straight to mum. Apgars etc can be done in the 5 seconds it takes to be handed baby. That is, as long as baby is obviously well. You get to hold bub and lay there in some kind lala land while midwife helps you deliver the placenta. Daddy gets to cut cord. Baby is quickly checked over and tagged by peadiatrician in the same room. Nurses quickly strip bed while you are in it..... no idea how this magic happens.  Then a few different options. If you can walk and there's no hemorraging or heavy bleeding or stitches......shower! Or the other option is you are too exhausted and fall asleep for a bit with bub. The other options is you get moved to a different room and can shower there. Ive done all 3. Obviously there are other little differences..... stitches, does baby need oxygen, do you, c-sections, epidurals, plus a thousand other small changes will change outcomes. The main one we seem to forget.....YOU HAVE TO BIRTH THE PLACENTA.

Cant wait!
  • Options
    @jess0211 I would bring it up now and bring it up towards the end of pregnancy to your doctor so at the very least it's been documented that there's history. It's important that your friends and family know what to look for too so they can be supportive if you should need help after delivery. And if you ever feel like something is wrong, speak up. 

• Options
    Can we elaborate more on delivering the placenta? Does it hurt or is it just like when you get a really gross gush during AF but a lot more gross?

• Options
    cottingham3cottingham3 member
    edited March 2017
    1) Figuring out Breastfeeding was the hardest part of my first. I know in retrospect that I gave up way too soon. I wanted to do more, but felt it was just two hard. I am grateful that I had #2 to get it right with! And, by "get it right" I mean figuring out what worked for us! Understanding that we WOULD get it right all we really needed was alone time!

All three of my babies spent at least 1 night in the NICU. Honestly, this prepares you for caring for a infant like nothing else. You see the balance between how frail they are and how hearty they are! Plus, you know you have nurses there to help if/when needed!

2) C-section momma here. I tell people I have my children surgically removed. Honestly, at 35 and after 3 sections...the idea of vaginal birth still bumfussles me!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    AsivecAsivec member
    edited March 2017
    1. Breastfeeding. I had great lactation consultants who literally pulled out all the tricks because I wanted to bf so bad and was struggling because of hospital policy. (Using sugar water to latch, syringe supplementing the feeding)

2. I had an unplanned c-section.  I had a failed induction. Immediately after c-section I was able to see/hold baby with one arm. I went to recovery until I was able to move my legs and the baby was with my HB and a nurse. I didnt get to see her until the pediatrician saw her first and I was highly pissed because all I wanted was to see her. I was told not to get out of bed for the first 24 hrs so some very nice person cleaned me up during that time. I don't have a good recollection of what they did but at that point shyness wasnt a thing anymore for me. I think some of the bfing problems arose from not being able to have those first snuggles. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1) Breastfeeding and then exclusively pumping when the lactation consultant said there was no possible way I could breastfeed my baby until she was physically bigger. I was so relieved when my milk dried up due to a severe stomach bug when she was 3 or 4 weeks old.

In regards to what others are saying about marriage, I highly recommend looking up what happens to men's and women's brain chemistry when an infant cries loudly. A new mom is pumped full of hormones that cause her to jump into full alert mode, like an adrenaline rush, when her baby makes the smallest of sounds, whereas dad might be able to sleep through a little crying. In addition, loud crying or screaming generally causes emotions of caring in the mother, whereas it causes emotions of anger in men. I was so glad I had read that beforehand, because I had never seen my husband that angry before. 

2) If the hospital's general policy is to do skin to skin contact right away (generally for about an hour), they'll tell you. (Or you can ask). Obviously it won't be guaranteed, because emergencies happen. DH and I were both surprised when they put DD on my chest because we expected her to be a lot grosser than she was. I had to wait a bit for a postpartum room to open up, so after trying to breastfeed I ended up having a meal brought to me in the delivery room, which I attempted to eat, but wasn't the least bit hungry. I showered once I got settled in the postpartum room; in fact, it may have been several hours later. In both rooms, DD was always in the room with me. They bathed her and gave her her shot right there in the delivery room. The only time she left the room was for her hearing test (and then when we asked the nurses to take her for a couple hours so we could sleep, but I don't like to talk about that). To be honest, everything post pushing is kind of a blur. Even at the time, I remember thinking, "I don't even know what's happening right now."
  • Options
    For me delivering the placenta was just like delivering my baby. They will check it afterwards to make sure it is intact and nothing was left behind. If it is not, they will go in and remove it. Mine was intact so nothing further 
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge Delivering the placenta is super weird feeling. There's generally a little tugging by the doctor to help it detach and then it sort of slides out. It doesn't hurt like birthing a baby, but you definitely feel it. Both times, I've had a very distinct feeling of not being pregnant anymore once the placenta delivered. I felt very empty and it was so bizarre to me that it happened once the placenta was gone, instead of when the baby came out. I dunno - I'm weird. 

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge both times I didn't even really notice the delivering the placenta part!  Both times my OB basically pulled it out while I was distracted by the baby.  I didn't even see it!

• Options
    I had an epirdural and I also don't remember anything about about delivering the placenta. I was holding DS at the time. 

• Options
    Can we elaborate more on delivering the placenta? Does it hurt or is it just like when you get a really gross gush during AF but a lot more gross?
    I had a water birth, and afterwards my tailbone HURT and I had a ton of pressure still. I asked to get out of the tub and moved to the bed. They kept telling me I needed to push again to birth the placenta and I kept saying no, I couldn't, I had no energy left. Finally they threatened me with a hospital transfer if I didn't so I finally did. Oh my god did I feel better. I really wish someone had told me the pain/pressure I was feeling was the placenta trying to come out. 

Tl;dr: it's a relief to push it out and feels like birthing an octopus. DH said it was one of the weirdest things he's ever seen. 
  • Options
    I had an epirdural and I also don't remember anything about about delivering the placenta. I was holding DS at the time. 
    Same!
  • Options
    1. I think the hardest thing for me was the weight of the responsibility of realising I have a baby totally dependant on me 24/7. It was all consuming and I found making decisions on behalf of this little person about whether they were warm enough or too cold, tired, hungry quite overwhelming. Once I learnt to trust my gut instincts a bit more and stopped putting so much thought in to everything it got easier. I also got to know my babies cues as time went on so that helped as well.
    2. C section under general anesthetic so I don't really know what happened!